2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Chipping Yips - Mental Block

Hey everyone. First post on the forum here after being a bit of a lurker for over a year now.

I've come across an issue that is simply blowing my mind as of late and I figured I'd come on here to see if anyone else has been able to tackle it.

My issue is not anything to do with a fundamental swing flaw. I say this because I can stand on a practice facility like a green or driving range and hit pitches/chips pretty precisely. Clean contact, ball flight, everything. In addition to this, I've even gotten lessons on my short game and instructors have told me there isn't really anything all that wrong with my swing. Not to mention when they take me out to the practice facility I generally strike it pretty well the whole time.

It is absolutely night and day to when I get on the course.

On the course, I'm a disaster. I play a 6.5, and I full well know if I could get to even a mediocre game inside 50 yards, I could shave half that off, at least. I've improved my ball striking and putting tremendously over the last two years, but my handicap has barely budged, primarily because of how much worse my short game has progressed, particularly tighter to the greens.

A typical round for me will end up in me kind of figuring out my chipping/pitching game in the first batch of holes, and if it's off (it is probably 85% of the time) I'll resort to a left hand low pitching/chipping technique from 40 yards and closer as for some reason this seems to work for me. I just find this technique severely limits me in terms of different types of shots, and it's a bit suspect from longer distances.

I've been facing this issue for 2+ seasons now. As someone who plays 60-70 rounds of golf a year, being genuinely horrible around the greens is burned into my mind every time I stand over a chip.

Has anyone else had this, and if so how did you eliminate it? I'm almost positive it is all mental at this point, but I cannot seem to shake it.

Edited by Dboy97

What really helped to free me up mentally on these shots is to really focus in on what you are trying to do and not on unwanted results. When I'm missing these shots I'm often uncommitted and worried about trouble around the green or my mechanics. If you're below a 10 handicap you should possess the skills to hit this shot with consistency. I get the wind, distance, and examine my lie, pick a number I want to hit to, then visualize the shot I am trying to hit. From there I take a couple practice swings feeling that shot I just pictured. Then, I get over the ball, turn off my brain, and let my swing do the rest. 

It sounds simple but it can be really hard to do this under the gun. You really have to believe in your abilities and not let any mechanical thoughts get into your head. Just think of where you want that ball to go and trust yourself to get it there.

• Like 1

I'm going to play devil's advocate and assert that your yips situation actually is rooted in a technical problem (credit to @MonteScheinblum for this supposition). Your "yippy" move is likely your body's last-millisecond attempt to compensate for whatever technical issue you have. You can get away with it on the practice green because there's no pressure of any kind, but I'll bet anything that once a score or bet or tournament enters the picture, things go downhill. This kind of thing can wreak havoc on your confidence as well as your nervous system, and I'd really consider the idea of working with someone who is good with the short game to sort out the root cause of your issues. 

Edited by Scottbox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How to film your golf swing:

Down The Line

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Scottbox said:

I'm going to play devil's advocate and assert that your yips situation actually is rooted in a technical problem (credit to @MonteScheinblum for this supposition). Your "yippy" move is likely your body's last-millisecond attempt to compensate for whatever technical issue you have. You can get away with it on the practice green because there's no pressure of any kind, but I'll bet anything that once a score or bet or tournament enters the picture, things go downhill. This kind of thing can wreak havoc on your confidence as well as your nervous system, and I'd really consider the idea of working with someone who is good with the short game to sort out the root cause of your issues. 

You are absolutely right about the score/tournament etc playing a major factor. 

I've had the benefit of working with some high level individual coaches over the last few years, primarily because I'm good friends with them (I couldn't afford it otherwise 😂). Fundamentally, they have found relatively little wrong with my swing. At least not to the point where I'm THIS bad. As mentioned, I can typically salvage a round by switching to a cross handed chipping style. But by that point I've already given up 2-3 strokes. I've debated just giving up attempting to chip normally and adopt a cross-handed style full time.

I do believe you are correct in the fact there may be something technically flawed with me on the actual course. But I think that could possibly be due to the fact I cannot seem to get the idea out of my head that the worst possible scenario is going to result from even the most basic chip/pitch. If there's water on the other side of the green, I cannot erase the idea of thinning it. If there's a bunker in front of me, I cannot erase the idea of plopping it right inside of it.

No matter what I do in regards to clearing my head, imagining the shot, erasing the negative thoughts, nothing seems to be able to eliminate the negative mentality I have around the greens. Getting progressively worse over the last few years here has some deep-seated issues engrained into my head.

Edited by Dboy97

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, jonsnow said:

Is there a pattern to your mishits? Mostly fat or chunked, skulls, etc? Or are they all over the place?

If I were to guess, and the reason I'm guessing is my misses are generally all over the place, I'd say more on the side of thin.

Edited by Dboy97

My guess would have been chunks. I've had spells where I chunked so many pitches I actually double hit consecutive shots (which is hard to do, damn near impossible if you try to do it). I developed a phobia about hitting the ground to the point I tried to level out my swing so much I started skulling shots instead of chunking them. Doesn't sound like that's your issue, though. Wish I could offer advice, it sucks to have that kind of short game issue. 

Sounds like under pressure, you have a flaw that only occurs in game time situations. Have you had any of your friends observe you while playing? I'm in the same boat. I'm quite proficient around the practice green but on the course I subconsciously start scooping at the ball. After a couple of blades I'll hold the angle and chunk it or double hit the ball. The fact that left hand low works for you makes me think you may be scooping or stalling your motion. I'm committing to Siekmanns regiment to the end of the year come hell or high water. I'm hoping getting lost in the system frees up my mind if that makes sense.

12 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

poor chipping/pitching happens to me when I stall, when the blend of torso rotation and hands are not ideal. It's upper body rotation, with quiet lower, just no stalling and chest to target finish. It keeps hands ahead of club head, then percentages go way up.

I remember sometime back Monty saying to keep the upper right arm moving all the way to the finish. That has been a huge help to me...

3 minutes ago, jonsnow said:

I remember sometime back Monty saying to keep the upper right arm moving all the way to the finish. That has been a huge help to me...

I keep it moving with shoulder rotation, upper arm is largely passive, elbow stay close to pelvis.There's shots where it's more hands and choppy but for most part that's the mode I work in.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, naj959 said:

Sounds like under pressure, you have a flaw that only occurs in game time situations. Have you had any of your friends observe you while playing? I'm in the same boat. I'm quite proficient around the practice green but on the course I subconsciously start scooping at the ball. After a couple of blades I'll hold the angle and chunk it or double hit the ball. The fact that left hand low works for you makes me think you may be scooping or stalling your motion. I'm committing to Siekmanns regiment to the end of the year come hell or high water. I'm hoping getting lost in the system frees up my mind if that makes sense.

I kind of think this is what it is yeah.

Most of my golf mates state I get a bit quick. Almost stabby. Almost like I want to just get the shot over with. 

All of my friends are also mid to high teens handicappers who have developed some very.... unique ways of chipping on their own lets say so they're not the most reliable source of information.

I'm not sure what it is at this point. I'd attribute a lot of it to simply a lack of mental strength to be able to put the poor shots out of my mind. And the difficulty is this creates more poor shots, and you really start to forget about any solid ones you've hit.

If I can hit a lot of greens in reg, I typically shoot in the mid 70s. However, if I'm having even a remotely off day with my irons, I can easily shoot in the mid to high 80's depending on how bad I am around the greens that day. It's almost leaking into my iron game at this point, because I know if I miss the green, particularly in a tricky spot, I'm in a whole world of trouble.

It's easy to have a free flowing swing on the range or on the chipping green. Stand over a ball I get tense, stiff. I almost start planning the next shot off the other side of the green as I'm standing over the one I haven't hit yet. It's pretty toxic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dboy97 said:

Hey everyone. First post on the forum here after being a bit of a lurker for over a year now.

I've come across an issue that is simply blowing my mind as of late and I figured I'd come on here to see if anyone else has been able to tackle it.

My issue is not anything to do with a fundamental swing flaw. I say this because I can stand on a practice facility like a green or driving range and hit pitches/chips pretty precisely. Clean contact, ball flight, everything. In addition to this, I've even gotten lessons on my short game and instructors have told me there isn't really anything all that wrong with my swing. Not to mention when they take me out to the practice facility I generally strike it pretty well the whole time.

It is absolutely night and day to when I get on the course.

On the course, I'm a disaster. I play a 6.5, and I full well know if I could get to even a mediocre game inside 50 yards, I could shave half that off, at least. I've improved my ball striking and putting tremendously over the last two years, but my handicap has barely budged, primarily because of how much worse my short game has progressed, particularly tighter to the greens.

A typical round for me will end up in me kind of figuring out my chipping/pitching game in the first batch of holes, and if it's off (it is probably 85% of the time) I'll resort to a left hand low pitching/chipping technique from 40 yards and closer as for some reason this seems to work for me. I just find this technique severely limits me in terms of different types of shots, and it's a bit suspect from longer distances.

I've been facing this issue for 2+ seasons now. As someone who plays 60-70 rounds of golf a year, being genuinely horrible around the greens is burned into my mind every time I stand over a chip.

Has anyone else had this, and if so how did you eliminate it? I'm almost positive it is all mental at this point, but I cannot seem to shake it.

Do you have a trigger to start your chip/pitch takeaway?

• Like 1

I went to cross handed to cure my chipping yips - was the best thing I've ever done. 

Rotate the following:

Titliest TSR2 10* (@A1) Ventus TR Blue 6TX

Titliest TSR2 16.5* (@A1) Fuji Speeder 8.3TS X

Titliest TSR2 21* (@A1) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Titliest 818H2 21* (@B3) Fuji Atmos Black 9X

Srixon ZXU 18*, ZX5 3-4, ZX7 5-PW

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Cleveland RTX6 Raw 50*Mid Ctaper 130X, 54* Full S400 Onyx, 58* Low S400 Onyx

Mizzy MCraft VI 36.5" SS Pistol 1.0

Titliest PV1

My advice is to focus on visualizing the shot. I've always had a good short game, since I was 12. When I step up to a chip or putt my focus is on gauging distance with practice swings. When i place the club behind the ball I only think about visualizing the shot.

Cam Smith's key to putting so well is partially down to his visualization. Notice he looks at his target when he sets up to putt a lot. When he has the idea of the ball's flight in his head, he then looks at the ball and hits immediately.

I think the reason people get the yips is because they can't visualize what the ball will do. When they set up to the ball they either get nervous or decide to swing in a certain way to make some correction. There shouldn't be second guessing when u set up to the ball. Thats when your strike goes bad.

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

3 hours ago, Dboy97 said:

I kind of think this is what it is yeah.

Most of my golf mates state I get a bit quick. Almost stabby. Almost like I want to just get the shot over with. 

All of my friends are also mid to high teens handicappers who have developed some very.... unique ways of chipping on their own lets say so they're not the most reliable source of information.

I'm not sure what it is at this point. I'd attribute a lot of it to simply a lack of mental strength to be able to put the poor shots out of my mind. And the difficulty is this creates more poor shots, and you really start to forget about any solid ones you've hit.

If I can hit a lot of greens in reg, I typically shoot in the mid 70s. However, if I'm having even a remotely off day with my irons, I can easily shoot in the mid to high 80's depending on how bad I am around the greens that day. It's almost leaking into my iron game at this point, because I know if I miss the green, particularly in a tricky spot, I'm in a whole world of trouble.

It's easy to have a free flowing swing on the range or on the chipping green. Stand over a ball I get tense, stiff. I almost start planning the next shot off the other side of the green as I'm standing over the one I haven't hit yet. It's pretty toxic.

Yup, I can 100% relate. I either get comments that I'm flippy, stabby, or quick. Conquering the fear is the hardest part. I've noticed that I'm smooth as silk when I have a nice buzz but I don't drink often when I play. 

As mentioned above try a trigger or 1...2 count for rhythm. I've had more success when I get really target focused. Haven't found a solution that's lasted more than a month or two.

Ymmv, but when I had chipping problems it was all about path and low point control. I can get slide-y in my full swing, and that lower body slide was working its way into my chipping under pressure. Led to getting under the plane, dumping the wedge behind me, and a bunch of fat (or thin bouncing off the turf) shots. 

I have to feel a little outside in when chipping, and I focus on my trail leg “staying against the wall” behind me. Keeping my lower body quiet allows my upper body to just do its thing (simple turn) and contact improved dramatically. You can also chip with “feet together” to remove the lower body action. 

Maybe that’s helpful, but even if your miss is something else, figuring out what’s affecting your low point control will help. Cheers

5 hours ago, Scottbox said:

5 hours ago, Dboy97 said:

You are absolutely right about the score/tournament etc playing a major factor. 

I've had the benefit of working with some high level individual coaches over the last few years, primarily because I'm good friends with them (I couldn't afford it otherwise 😂). Fundamentally, they have found relatively little wrong with my swing. At least not to the point where I'm THIS bad. As mentioned, I can typically salvage a round by switching to a cross handed chipping style. But by that point I've already given up 2-3 strokes. I've debated just giving up attempting to chip normally and adopt a cross-handed style full time.

I do believe you are correct in the fact there may be something technically flawed with me on the actual course. But I think that could possibly be due to the fact I cannot seem to get the idea out of my head that the worst possible scenario is going to result from even the most basic chip/pitch. If there's water on the other side of the green, I cannot erase the idea of thinning it. If there's a bunker in front of me, I cannot erase the idea of plopping it right inside of it.

No matter what I do in regards to clearing my head, imagining the shot, erasing the negative thoughts, nothing seems to be able to eliminate the negative mentality I have around the greens. Getting progressively worse over the last few years here has some deep-seated issues engrained into my head.

Agreed with Scottbox, and if possible it would be great to get video here. If you were able to capture video both face on and down the line of your solid range swing AND the on course yippy swing then it would be a pretty simple “spot the difference” game that would give you some tangible things to focus on. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

In Uni, I had the chipping yips where I would consistenly hit it heel side resulting in a hosel shot about 80% of the time that would dart out about 45 degrees right of target. It lasted about 2 and a half seasons. Similar to you, I could chip normally on the practice green but the fear would kick in anywhere 80 yards and in during a round. Then I stopped playing golf for a few years. When I came back, the yip still showed up but less often. I started to practice a few technique queues on the practice green quite often. Then, when I would play a round, I started going through those same queues and forcing myself to forget and not care about where the ball went. So all I was thinking about was going through the queues and not at all about target. Slowly, I started to make clean contact more frequently which made the fear I had fade away slowly. Eventually, making clean contact just became second nature again and I was able to focus on target again. 

You've mentioned you've been able to get an instructor's input. I'd suggest if your issue is only showing up during a round, then ask your instructor to ride along or play a round with you so they can see what is happening on game day.

Either have one of your regular playing partners take some random videos of your shortgame during a round when you are unaware (so that you dont change what youre doing due to the video) and either pose those here/show them to an instructor, or even better, have one of your instructor pals take you on an oncourse lesson.  This should allow them to see if you are fundamentally changing your short game motion when you get out on the course with a bit more pressure on the result.

18 hours ago, Dboy97 said:

I know that feeling very well.  That's sheer yips.  

My short game these days is average but it used to be a nightmare.  I have developed a simple chipping action that keeps me going, I no longer expect to hit it perfect all the time and I often force myself think about turning through: the club goes through the ball, and the shot is never a disaster.  

I still struggle when there's no room to land the ball even though I take it I'm gonna lose one shot but I'll leave it on the green.  My main issue: stalling and not swinging through out of fear.  

I agree that finding your proper technique and practicing plus focusing on the shot you are going to make are of great help to get over.  And a basic simple shot for easy chips also helps (like putting with a pw or a 54).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dboy97 said:

Sounds like it might be time to start over.  You have no confidence in your current technique on the course, and I don't think any amount of bashing your head against the wall in the practice area is going to change that.  Without knowing much about the technique that your pro is trying to get you to use, or the shots you are trying to hit with which clubs, hard to give much different advice than that. 

But I know two years ago I was haunted by terrible inconsistency around the green and it was killing me, so I picked up James Sieckmann's Short Game Solution and just started doing everything he suggested in his book.  It was different than what I'd been trying to do, and it was a total ground up reset button.  I'm not some kind of short game monster now, but I'm also not taking an automatic bogey every time I miss the green.  It brought my confidence back around the green.

Wipe the slate clean and start trying something radically different.  You've got to get the old demons out of your head and replace them with new confidence.

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 3i 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

what you have clearly described is the beginning of the yips - ask me how i know

i would say i haven't seen a ton of great research here - even though it effects guys even at the highest level

chipping cross handed will help - just like guys with the putting yips switch out putter and grip styles, the brain doesn't know what you are doing so it doesn't interrupt the swing - in time it likely will

Raymond Prior as done some work on the yips, the book only has a couple pages on it:

Golf Beneath the Surface: The New Science of Golf Psychology: Prior PHD, Raymond: 9781637743096: Amazon.com: Books

the podcast, likely worth your time, has an episode on it

Golf Beneath The Surface: The Yips on Apple Podcasts 

the way Raymond describes it - the yips are much less scary than has been suggested, and having an answer to what is actually happening re knowledge - is a good place to start

it sounds like you are a really high level player with a very high level of understanding of what you are doing, with that said if pro's can have a hard time with their short game - anyone can,  understanding what you are trying to do and how the best in the world hit chips/ pitches will likely help, the arguement lately has been steep/ shallow - idk but the data shows the best in the world have 12-15 degrees of shaft lean in their short game shots, if you google dr rob neal - he's done a fair amount of work showing what the best in the world actually do,  it could help - i doubt it will hurt

good luck - i'd guess at the end of your journey here - golf will be very very fun 

tom pitching - nice mental image imo

tom.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, SheriffBooth said:

Sounds like it might be time to start over.  You have no confidence in your current technique on the course, and I don't think any amount of bashing your head against the wall in the practice area is going to change that.  Without knowing much about the technique that your pro is trying to get you to use, or the shots you are trying to hit with which clubs, hard to give much different advice than that. 

But I know two years ago I was haunted by terrible inconsistency around the green and it was killing me, so I picked up James Sieckmann's Short Game Solution and just started doing everything he suggested in his book.  It was different than what I'd been trying to do, and it was a total ground up reset button.  I'm not some kind of short game monster now, but I'm also not taking an automatic bogey every time I miss the green.  It brought my confidence back around the green.

Wipe the slate clean and start trying something radically different.  You've got to get the old demons out of your head and replace them with new confidence.

Interesting. I'm going to grab the book and see what comes of it.

I do believe the left hand low situation provides a "fresh start". I can really chip well with it. I just find when I get into a bit trickier spots, lets say a tight chip to an elevated green, I'm somewhat limited. I'm sure I can adapt to playing these shots left hand low with some practice.

The whole process of the left hand low feels so awkward to me I know it is somewhat of a brain reset and I strike the ball very well as a result. Mentally, I don't really know how to yip a shot like that.

I guess I'm just a bit stubborn in the fact I'd rather figure out how to hit the ball the "right" way, despite a ton of golfers adopting LHL. Maybe I just need to master it to keep myself sane rather than obsess over trying to correct my mental blocks when it comes to chipping/pitching with a conventional grip.

Edited by Dboy97

I am/was a bad chipper with a case of the yips.  2 seasons ago, I watched a couple of videos (Mike Malaska and Harrrington) and thought I had it all figured out.  Just couldn't put it all together.  Sought out my instructor and after he watched my hit a few chips he had me chip with the right hand only.   Really weird, but I made some really good chips.  I just couldn't control any distance.  Practiced that for quite a while (weeks) and while I got good at that, I couldn't put 2 hands on the club and get the same results.

One day I was watching a good chipper and I watched him for a long time.  The thing that struck me was the length of the swing and ease of the motion.  Just no hit in it.  Nice and smooth.  Took that in and put that to use.  In a while I was suddenly able to put 2 hands on the club and chip and get the same feel I got chipping with only my right hand.  The key was a longer backswing (nice hinge of the hands) than I really thought and nice and smooth thru the ball.  Use the bounce  and let the club release thru the ball.

It's still a work in progress, but there is definite improvement.  Increased confidence.  I can now chip in my backyard and not worry about putting ball marks in the fence.   Practiced more in the last few months of last season than I had in the last 10 years.  Practice is now rewarding rather than a futile attempt at making something work for 5 minutes. 

FWIW, I was finally willing to revamp the whole chipping method (abandoned the whole hit and hold stuff) and took the instructor's advice and kept at it. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize