Mickelson & his Ping Eye2 Wedges (topics merged)

Phil using a Eye 2 wedge is nothing more than a political game he is playing with the USGA. Callaway submitted clubs that met all dimensional standards and were deemed non-conforming by the USGA. Phil (and Callaway for that matter) was more than a little pissed as he had been practicing with these clubs for some time and the USGA's decision came a couple of days before the start of a tournament.

Once he gets his jollies over with he'll move on. Anyway it's a 60 degree bent to 64. Its not like its every wedge in his bag. This public stunt will be short lived.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how some say hey its not against the rules so its ok, but people still bring up the boulder incident with Tiger (it was not embedded, huge and heavy but not embedded), both of these are the "Spirit of the Rule" I think. Did you think it was right for Tiger to get the boulder moved? Then apply that same logic to the Phil grooves.

Nike Vapor Pro Blades 5-PW
Nike Unitized Putter
Nike Covert Driver
Nike Engage Wedges
Nike CPR 5 Wood (yes the original CPR)
NIKE Sasquatch 3 Wood

Last evening while watching Torrey Pines event Nick Faldo mentioned Daly's & Phil's illegal wedges a few times.  I wondered what he was talking about, now I know.  I am the first to say although its technically not cheating, it calls into question Phil's character, and believe what he's doing is wrong. 

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' date='29 January 2010 - 12:56 PM' timestamp='1264787815' post='2212163']
Last evening while watching Torrey Pines event Nick Faldo mentioned Daly's & Phil's illegal wedges a few times. I wondered what he was talking about, now I know. I am the first to say although its technically not cheating, it calls into question Phil's character, and believe what he's doing is wrong.
[/quote]

It's wrong to be playing wedges that have been approved for play by the USGA and PGA Tour? Would you feel more comfortable if he was playing with conforming wedges that weren't approved?

Are these the same wedges that Calc has been using for years? I don't hear people getting on his back. Why not reserve judgement on Phil until the tourney finishes? If he ends up winning it by a miraculous shot from the rough that spins back into the cup, then we may have a justified point. He may also finish way down the board - and ditch the wedge for a different one next event. Everyone seems to feel that he has an unfair advantage that will win him the event, or finish higher than he should given the circumstances. It's ridiculous.russian_roulette.gif

If its not an advantage, why did the USGA ban them? Why is Phil using an exempted version?

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT Axiom 105

PXG GEN4 T 4 - PW DG120 X100

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

People are flipping out because it's the "Spirit of the rule." When your competitors are using everything conforming, and someone decides to circumvent the spirit of the rule by using court decided conforming clubs, it brings an unnecessary light upon him. While he's playing by the rules, it makes his competitors question his integrity. Nothing is worse than that.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

It certainly[i] is[/i] an advantage to have a square grooved L wedge in play, but it's something that's there for everyone to exploit; so in the grand scheme of things I suppose it can be argued that it's not an advantage at all. Not versus the other golfers in the field, anyway.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

I'm still having trouble figuring out why anybody would have a problem with this. The wedges in question are legal. End of story. How they are legal is not my concern, that they are IS my concern. Any player on tour (or in golf for that matter) is free to put them in play as they see fit. If a player truly believes they are an advantage, they too can source some old Eye 2 wedges and use them in tournaments ruled by the USGA. All this talk about Phil violating the 'spirit of the rule' nonsense is lame. There's no cheating going on, get over it!

don't know what ever one thinks but i found this article busted2.gifbusted2.gifbusted2.gif

http://sports.yahoo....ating-?urn=golf,216497

that should be the link now

First, Phil isn't "busted" because he's not doing anything illegal, which you would know if you read the readily available reports. There is no question and the thread title is misleading.

Second, the players have the right to whine about the Eye 2s, but all of that whining has to be directed to the PGA Tour. Phil is playing one modified 64 degree Eye 2, at least that's what he said yesterday. The club is legal, period. Players should not make a legal club a personal issue with other players.

Third, part of what is lost in a lot of this is maybe Phil is doing it to thumb his nose at the Tour at little bit. He has been very vocal about the change all the way through, made some very strong and public criticisms of the change and I think he may be sticking it to Finchem a little bit by using it, good for him.

Fourth, someone asked "why". The history is too long to get into, but you can find plenty on Ping's dispute back in the day and why these were grandfathered in.

Personally, I love the change and anything else within reason the Tour can do to not render courses obsolete and bring some shotmaking skill back into the game should be done.

Funny, I'm old enough to remember when Scott Simpson, I believe at the U.S. Open was making some incredible shots with his Ping wedges. I don't recall if that brought the issue to the forefront or fueled the fire, haven't gone back and checked the dates, but I remember the announcers were commenting on the spin he was getting from all sorts of lies at the time.

[quote name='Pepperturbo' date='29 January 2010 - 12:56 PM' timestamp='1264787815' post='2212163']
Last evening while watching Torrey Pines event Nick Faldo mentioned Daly's & Phil's illegal wedges a few times. I wondered what he was talking about, now I know. I am the first to say although its technically not cheating, it calls into question Phil's character, and believe what he's doing is wrong.
[/

Why would you question Phil's "character" when what he's doing isn't illegal or against the rules? Whether you agree with it or not, it's one thing, questioning someone's character because of it is a bit arrogant on your part.

I like all these phrases that I'm reading here. Calling golfers cheaters, and they are not living up to the spirit of the game. Give me a break, The ping wedges in question, are legal and welcomed under the rules of golf. They spell it out under the rules. Maybe that is the spirit that the USGA wants for the game. Not all of the rules of golf are meant to penalize golfers. In this instance, the USGA is giving the players options. They are even spelling it out in the book. If this older ping wedge is good enough for the USGA, It should be good enough for everyone. Thank you USGA and Karsten Solheim.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

[quote name='HeadonaStick' date='28 January 2010 - 09:51 PM' timestamp='1264733491' post='2211091']
[quote name='born4golf77' date='28 January 2010 - 09:27 PM' timestamp='1264732041' post='2211031']
i am fine with the clubs being conforming - that is the beauty of the legal system when they actually get it right, if karsten was still around he probably would have challenged this condition of competition as well -

i am sure the wedges produce more spin than the conforming wedges currently especially out of the rough and inside 50yds where it matters most anyway- all the independent studies showed out of the fairway there is no big difference until inside 50yds or so

anyway my question for the rules experts is this - if you have an eye 2 club that is legal and the grooves are worn out and you re-groove it with the original groove pattern (u-groove pattern), is it still grandfathered in or would it have to be re-grooved to the new rule? if so then they could just find old wedges and continually re-groove them back to original

also as a side note, the first U-groove eye2's had super sharp grooves that tore up old balata balls so they rounded the edges later on. very few of the super sharp edged ones ever show up and even less in good shape

btw i would use them and not think twice. they are legal and if you think they will help you then why not- it is not dishonest to do something legal imo
[/quote]
You may not re-groove the clubs. Re-grooving makes them non-conforming.

See: [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/337944-groove-sharpeningrefinishing/1rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"]http://www.golfwrx.c...rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr[/url]
[/quote]

that article and the cleveland rep is referring to pre-2010 grooves on clubs other than ones that are grandfathered in and it does not quote a usga rule anywhere in the text. i think he is saying if you re-groove with the intention of making them sharper or bigger then they would be non-conforming if tested.

i am sure if you take an old set of irons that you love and re-groove them to the current groove standards that they would be legal. any iron/wedge that meets the standards, even if re-grooved has to be deemed legal (unless you are callaway and come up with a good solution that makes the usga change the specs again) because they meet the current specs. the cleveland guy seemed like he was talking about people trying to buy a conforming club, alter it to perform better and then use it in competition under the assumption everyone would think he was legal, which is cheating.

my question is specifically about altering a club that is deemed grandfathered in because of previous lawsuits. does the club stay conforming if altered in the form of re-grooving to the old "grandfathered" groove pattern? basically, it boils down to with respect to the grandfathered eye2's, is it once legal, always legal OR legal until altered? otherwise guys could just buy old eye2's and constantly re-groove them and stay legal. also will they test the old eye2's to see if they have original grooves?

anyone with any idea let me know or i may submit this question to the usga.org website

my view on the legality or morality of using them is that if the usga's position could have held up in court then this problem would not have happened.
the problem is the usga is reactive and not proactive- also they have some of the most confusing rules of any sport. - if they could just start from scratch with a new, easier rule book then golf would be much easier to play fairly - the o.b. rule alone is ridiculous in my opinion but that is another thread.

[quote name='floyd' date='29 January 2010 - 01:55 PM' timestamp='1264791347' post='2212290']
He has been accused of being a cheater by McCarron for using the wedge.
[/quote]
And Rocco as well...

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

You have to know the rules. If it is not against the rules, then it is legal. I'll never forget what my high school golf coach told me about the rules. He said, "Know the rules. All the rules. If you know the rules and how to apply them, use them to your advantage."

Would anyone take a drop off a cartpath that gave them a much better shot at the green, as long as it was a legal drop according to the rules? Of course, without a doubt. Is that against the "spirit" or "integrity" of the game? I don't think so. I do know that its legal.

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
TaylorMade M5 14* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
TaylorMade M5 19* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
Ping i500 4-UW Recoil 110 F4
Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 50.0, 54 ES & 58 ES Recoil 110 F4
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28

[quote name='tinman' date='29 January 2010 - 12:56 PM' timestamp='1264787766' post='2212159']
Rocco & McCarron need a couple of pacifiers!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

i find it funny that both Rocco & McCarron use broom handle putters, which are technically legal, but many purists consider to be "against the spirit of the game".

Phil is smart. If these grooves on the old ping eye wedge is going to help his game and he is able to play with it why not? He decided to turn to this wedge in which every pro has the opportunity to use also. It is there fault they arent. I think people should not be getting on Phil's case, but more on the USGA's case because they are STUPID. I personally dont think Phil is insulting the game of golf because it's not like he is the only player able to use these wedges. I actually applaud him for using it because maybe with all the attention and contraversy there is maybe the USGA will clean up there act and get their hands out of their A$$.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

Poorly written over bearing rules always have ridiculous consequences.

I hope more people find ways to shine light on what a travashamockery this rule change is.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Wow..... a lot of spirited posts here.

Regardless of your opinion of this topic. It is a valid topic to disucss at the lunch table, break room, chat board... etc...

One thing that is unique about golf is the 'integrity' aspect of the game. You call your own penalities, etc.... My opinion is that this is questioning the 'integrity' of the game .... similar to boulder incident mentioned previously, then on the other side of that coin is the 'kneeling on the towel' incident with Stadler.

When you compare the boulder incident against the towel incident .... I think it is fair to question the 'actual' rule versus the 'spirit' of the rule and what is fare.

So the posters that think there is no issue here and or need to get over it, etc.... need to respect others opinions and posts.