2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Anybody playing Nippon Modus 130? Reviews/experiences would be GREATLY appreciated!

willboyrd

The graph is "simple to understand" if you have the information that you originally did not include. Thank you for going through many common shaft specs and terms for me... I am amused that you assume that I don't have a clue what I'm talking about. I have been building clubs for years and am very experienced with everything you explained except this "industry standard" for measuring shafts (also how can this be the industry standard when every OEM has their own standard).

Not sure what members of the industry you are referring to... Tom Wishon? Sure, I guess you can take everything Tom says and call it the absolute truth and ignore all other golf club manufacturers and their engineers. BTW, Tom does own and operate a for-profit golf club company. I'm not saying he is not knowledgeable but to go by only what Tom says and only by his measurements is naive. My point is without measurements from other shafts as a comparison, you can look at a chart and say "look, these shafts profiles arch in a similar manner, they must be a lot alike".

Here's a video on the machine that is used to measure bend profiles. This is the industry standard.

This is what is used to measure in Wishon's bend profile software.

There's no benefit to Tom showing that a Modus and a R4 have a similar bend profile since he's not affiliated with either company. Your accusation is unfounded, ill-conceived and irresponsible.

4% and major differences in the tip and butt are a big deal... not to mention the weight.

No, it's not by the standards set forth.

I've played shafts that are at a 4% difference and they are very similar.

They are both heavy steel shafts, yes. So any graph of the CPM is going to be relatively similar.

This is categorically false.

Here's a look at the bend profiles showing the similar Modus & R4 versus the KBS C-Taper S+ shaft. Much different bend profile in the KBS C-Taper.

kbs+tour.png

Also a 4% difference in CPM between these shafts would be at least 10-15 cpm. And isn't 10-15 a full flex difference for most manufacturers? Hmmmm.... doesn't seem all that similar all of a sudden, especially noting the differences between constant and progressive weight. Not to mention the 10 grams of static weight. Every shaft CPM chart example that I've seen listed on this site from Tom Wishon has a pretty close progression, unless you go way off the spectrum. Like a R flex 50 gram graphite vs. a X flex 80 gram graphite.

No, it's because it's a difference in total bend profile.

Here's the cpm numbers:

Maybe I should just contact Nippon and True Temper and ask the opinion of their technicians or a very knowledgeable 3rd party like Titleist custom department who does there own shaft comparison with state of the art equipment. I think that would be a better route for a person interested in Nippon Modus shafts rather than reading a post on GolfWRX from someone claiming that the best match for Nippon Modus 3 120x is a True Temper Dynamic Gold R400. But hey, what do I know?

Apparently, you don't know much. Feel free to ask whomever you may desire. I'll get a kick out of you trying to get an answer. You've only said that they are not similar, but then they are going to be similar and now going back to them not being similar. Someday you may get your story straight.

RH

You guys should move your discussion on the Modus X vs. R400 to a different thread. This thread is on the Modus Tour 130!, not the 120. Modus 130 is a completely different animal. I'd love to see Tom's chart on the 130 vs. the rest. Can one of you Tom fanboys get that and post it in here?

• Like 1

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I agree.

And it's not like I was disparaging either shaft. I *like* the 130's a lot. I just wasn't sure what to try and when I saw the 120 Bend Profile, it was similar to the R400 so I decided to try the 130's. I was told that the 130's were made in response to help lower the ball flight a little as the 120's launch a bit too high. The Bend Profile only makes sense as to why that could be a possible issue for some golfers. Lastly, I never said that they play exactly the same. They have similar bend profile, but are different in:

1. Weight
2. Weight distribution (Nippons are constant weight shafts vs. R400's being descending shaft weights)
3. Steel alloy
4. Heating process.

As far as the 130's go, those are not in the Bend Profile database, yet. I really like them. I think they work best with me using a lower spinning ball.

RH

[quote name='RichieHunt' timestamp='1385510762' post='8212866']
I agree.

And it's not like I was disparaging either shaft. I *like* the 130's a lot. I just wasn't sure what to try and when I saw the 120 Bend Profile, it was similar to the R400 so I decided to try the 130's. I was told that the 130's were made in response to help lower the ball flight a little as the 120's launch a bit too high. The Bend Profile only makes sense as to why that could be a possible issue for some golfers. Lastly, I never said that they play exactly the same. They have similar bend profile, but are different in:

1. Weight
2. Weight distribution (Nippons are constant weight shafts vs. R400's being descending shaft weights)
3. Steel alloy
4. Heating process.

As far as the 130's go, those are not in the Bend Profile database, yet. I really like them. I think they work best with me using a lower spinning ball.

RH
[/quote]

Just a small comment, DGR400 tapered are constant weight. (unless there's been a change of which I'm not aware)

Now back to regularly scheduled posting...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Still no Modus 130 chart?

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1386026172' post='8239016']
Still no Modus 130 chart?
[/quote]

The Modus 130's are not in Wishon's database, yet. He usually updates the database about once a year, typically during June.

RH

• 6 years later...

How did you get on long term with the modus 130x? I have just hit the 120x I fitted into a 6 iron on the range. My first day I was hitting them so well and the feel was amazing. Then I went out the next day and wasn't hitting it that well and the feel was boardy. I am a long time 6.5 precision rifle user and thinking of moving.

130 is much stouter than the 120 in X flex through the whole profile of the shaft.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

rifle 6.5 that is now px(rifle 6.5) ? The modus 120 is not at all similar. Modus 130 would be most similar bend profile.

Callaway Rogue ST MaxLS 9*w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

I bought a set of pulls on ebay (130 stiff) and put them in my Ping I irons. Enjoying them so far. I came from DG S300. (85mph 7 iron, 105 driver)

My biggest compliment to them is what has already been mentioned - high flight but not ballooning.

They feel so smooth that they don't give the impression of being stiff but I understand that on paper they are.

The S version is not really the same shaft when compared by CPM. The S flex profile is substantially different. The S isn't near as stiff for an S flex shaft as the X flex shaft is compared to other shafts of the same flex code.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

120 reminds me more of the KBS Tours.125 reminds me most of the Dynamic Golds.

130 are somewhere between a PX and gentler c-taper. The butt is very stout and the profile feels very solid all the way down to the clubhead. I found it to be a pretty stable shaft that I couldn't overpower, but a stout shaft just doesn't feel right to me (Playing a PX LZ right now for reference).

All three are smooth as hell though, as Nippon shafts are known for. All felt smoother than their variants I mentioned above throughout the swing and at impact. Just wasn't for me.

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

I loved the feel of the 120 when I tried it in two different clubs but the spin was not to my liking. In the wind I play in like 90% of my rounds, it was landing way too short. I'm curious on trying the 130 or maybe the 125 against the 120 out on course.

Taylormade Qi10 9° - Tensei Blue X Link 65x

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 16.5° - Tensei Blue RAW 75x

Srixon ZX7 Mk II 4-6, Z Forged II 7-9 - PX LZ 6.0

Vokey SM9 46/50/54/58 - S200

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Cruiser 

Titleist Pro V1

I have the 120's and 130's in 2 sets of similar irons (P730's and MP33's). The 130's definitely launch super high compared to the 120s at least with my swing, so they're nice when the greens are really firm and you need something to descend quickly. In the wind I prefer the 120s

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

I switched from the PX shaft to Modus 130, they game me a better feel without the feeling of having to step on every shot to get peak performance. IT is a penetrating ball flight that isn't super high. I play them in my P790's and it gives me great results.

I also used them in my Psi Tours with same results.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Current Modus 120X user here - looking to lower ball flight on the low irons (pw-7i) but am reading conflicting things about the launch of the 130X's. The 120X's already seem like high launch for me pretty much throughout the set with decent spin. My worry is that spin with the 130X's will increase and that launch will raise a touch. For reference I'm fairly aggressive (working to smooth things out) with a 112-115 mph driver swing.

Stick with the 120X's if I want lower launch lower spin?

Titleist TSR3 10* - Tensei 1K White 60TX

Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili White 70X

TRS2 21* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 80X

Titleist T100 - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM 9 48*/53*/58* - Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

• 4 weeks later...

Is the tip in the 130x really that much softer than say a PX 6.5 or when people say it has a softer tip is that just relative to the rest of the 130X profile (butt/mid)?

Taylormade M3 8.5* Driver
Callaway Apex 20* Hybrid
Taylormade UDI 2-Iron
Taylormade P760 4-AW w/ PX 6.5
Cleveland RTX-3 55*/60*
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mil-Spec

• 3 weeks later...

I played them for a bit. They were stout feeling to me it was because the butt is so much stiffer than x100. Higher launch but lower spin. It was deadly point and shoot. I was trying some TM irons with them sold because I just didn't get on with the heads.

I'm not sure how soft stepping would alter the ball flight. I am also interested in these soft stepped. Or the S hard stepped and bend one degree strong.

• 8 months later...

I've had a couple months in the 130X.

I've never hit the ball higher in my life. I may try the 125X, but it's looking like I will be going back to X1's. Project X is a no-go since it's stepless. 

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X