New Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X

Comments

• LowRGLowRG Members Posts: 58
    GG told me on shelves 2/16
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Rogue Subzero[/font]
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Vapor Fly 15[/font][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]°[/font]
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]p790 UDI[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Vapor Pro 4-PW[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Haywood 52[/font][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]°[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]PM Grind 58[/font][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]°[/font]
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Bettinardi BB1F (2016)[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]ChromeSoft X[/font]
  • 1david51david5 Members Posts: 459 ✭✭
    Just got a dozen from Dick's but my local Roger Dunn hasn't put them out on the floor yet.
    [font=georgia, serif]Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9.0*[/font]
    [font=georgia, serif]Callaway Rogue 15*[/font]
    [font=georgia, serif]Callaway X Hot Pro 23* [/font]
    [font=georgia, serif]Callaway Apex MB 5-PW[/font]
    [font=georgia, serif]Bridgestone J15 50*, 54*, 58*[/font]
    [font=georgia, serif]Taylormade Spider Tour Red[/font]
  • Scottypinghacker22Scottypinghacker22 Members Posts: 140
    1david5 wrote:

Just got a dozen from Dick's but my local Roger Dunn hasn't put them out on the floor yet.

Truvis as well?
    Actually, that's all they had in the X. I got the red/white truvis.

• nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,582 ✭✭
    1david5 wrote:

Out on the shelves ? Or do you "know somebody" ? Just curious.

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-4 48, 52, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 56* DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3, 64 DGS300

Evnroll 1.2 (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
    Nope, I don't know anyone. I never go to Dick's, always just go to a Roger Dunn. Just happened to be there today for something else. They had lots of the regular Chrome Soft but just the red Truvis in the X.
    edited Feb 13, 2018 #248
    1david5 wrote:

Nope, I don't know anyone. I never go to Dick's, always just go to a Roger Dunn. Just happened to be there today for something else. They had lots of the regular Chrome Soft but just the red Truvis in the X

Can't see the pic clearly. It says "Graphene" on the box ?

Interesting that Dick's would have them out a bit early. Oh well, guess a few days doesn't make any difference.

Thanks.

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Titleist AVX
    1david5 wrote:

Since I can't see this new picture very well either I'll take that as a "Yes". image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Thanks again.

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Titleist AVX
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? ClubWRX Posts: 7,526 ✭✭
    I heard the numbers on the ball are larger print?

Will they come out in higher numbers, like 5-8?

Cobra F9 8* Atmos Blue 6S
    XR Steelhead 15* Atmos Red 7S
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite
    SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M
    Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
    Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
    edited Feb 14, 2018 #252
    Yes, the number is definitely bigger. Not sure about 5-8, though that would be cool.

• swoll crackerswoll cracker Members Posts: 393 ✭✭
    nsxguy wrote:

1david5 wrote:

Nope, I don't know anyone. I never go to Dick's, always just go to a Roger Dunn. Just happened to be there today for something else. They had lots of the regular Chrome Soft but just the red Truvis in the X

Can't see the pic clearly. It says "Graphene" on the box ?

Interesting that Dick's would have them out a bit early. Oh well, guess a few days doesn't make any difference.

Thanks.

Actually it does make a difference when Callaway provides a hard launch date. The bigger surprise is that the balls could be rung at the register. Typically the items wont scan at the register until the launch date.
    Callaway EPIC Flash SZ 9*, GD Tour AD BB
    Callaway Rogue SZ 18* Project X EvenFlo 75 
    Callaway Rogue 21* Project X EvenFlo 75 
    Callaway X2Hot Pro 23* Hybrid Fujikura Motore F1 85
    Callaway Rogue Pro 5-AW Project X LZ 95 6.0
    Callaway MD4 54* S Grind
    Callaway MD4 PM Grind 58*
    TaylorMade Spider X Copper
    1david5 wrote:

Yes, the number is definitely bigger. Not sure about 5-8, though that would be cool.

Thanks! Did the change the alignment stamping?
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
    GC70 wrote:

1david5 wrote:

GC70 wrote:

1david5 wrote:

• ZNDavisZNDavis Members Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Really interested to see some on-the-course reports on this thing. Any official reviews out there?
    Taylormade M3 • Ping G25 23° hybrid • Titleist T-MB 2 iron • Bridgestone J40 DPC 4 - 9 irons
    Titleist Vokey SM5 46°, 50°, 54° wedges • Taylormade Hi-Toe 58° wedge • Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • roverdog99roverdog99 Members Posts: 31
    I played the X today and I must say this ball is the longest ball off the driver I have ever played. 15 yards longer than the TP5X. Irons are longer to. Ball launches high and keeps going. Interesting flight with the irons as the ball launches high but seems to flatten and just keeps going. Will continue to experiment with the X and the non x this weekend.
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,652 ✭✭
    No modern day premium ball will be 15 yards longer than another. If one ball is that much longer than the other you’ve mishit it.
    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Pro V1
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,239 ✭✭
    roverdog99 wrote:

I played the X today and I must say this ball is the longest ball off the driver I have ever played. 15 yards longer than the TP5X. Irons are longer to. Ball launches high and keeps going. Interesting flight with the irons as the ball launches high but seems to flatten and just keeps going. Will continue to experiment with the X and the non x this weekend.

I claim bullxxxx!!!

Just kidding. If you feel that way about a ball though then keep playing it brah!!! Don't let the naysayers impact your thoughts.

On another note, I was surprised they were on the shelf at my favorite golf shop today. I actually took a box of Red / White truvis, opened them up and took an older box of Truvis and opened them up, all while the manager of the store tried to play the "pretend to be a customer with loss prevention" and was watching me. Little does he know that I am literally in there all the time and know him. But, yeah, the number is cool and nothing really LOOKS different. Can't wait to try them out!
  • hurricanes7hurricanes7 Members Posts: 2,846 ✭✭
    does graphene help that much? can i put some in my wifes coffee
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]DRIVER- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
    3 WOOD- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
    HYBRID- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
    IRONS- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
    GAP- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
    SAND- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
    LOB- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
    PUTTER- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
    BALL- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font]
  • roverdog99roverdog99 Members Posts: 31
    edited Feb 17, 2018 #261
    Maybe the spin rate and launch angle....your comments don't bother me.....it is what it is......
  • tipperitipperi ClubWRX Posts: 78 ClubWRX
    Picked up the new ball in the black/yellow Truvis at PGA SS yesterday. Switched back and forth between the 18 ball and the previous version also in Black/Yellow. For me, data is still inconclusive. I played at a course I had never been on and because of my unfimiliarity wasn’t really sure how far I was driving the ball as tee boxes were shuffled around a bit from the card.

The new ball did feel slightly different and for me it JUMPED off of the putter face compared to the old ball. I play a milled Bettinarid specifically because I struggle with distance control on quick greens and the new ball presented a bit of a problem for me. Pitching a chipping was downright awful for me yesterday and that’s really nothing to do with the ball, so that part of the eval is also incomplete.

I have a tee time tomorrow at a course I’ve played 10-11 times prior and maybe that will give me a better idea off of my longer clubs as to the performance others are seeing.

edited Feb 17, 2018 #263
    tipperi wrote:

Picked up the new ball in the black/yellow Truvis at PGA SS yesterday. Switched back and forth between the 18 ball and the previous version also in Black/Yellow. For me, data is still inconclusive. I played at a course I had never been on and because of my unfimiliarity wasn’t really sure how far I was driving the ball as tee boxes were shuffled around a bit from the card.

The new ball did feel slightly different and for me it JUMPED off of the putter face compared to the old ball. I play a milled Bettinarid specifically because I struggle with distance control on quick greens and the new ball presented a bit of a problem for me. Pitching a chipping was downright awful for me yesterday and that’s really nothing to do with the ball, so that part of the eval is also incomplete.

I have a tee time tomorrow at a course I’ve played 10-11 times prior and maybe that will give me a better idea off of my longer clubs as to the performance others are seeing.

CS or CSx? Feel and sound comparison?
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
  • jimb6golfjimb6golf Members Posts: 1,526 ✭✭
    It's disappointing that the pricing went up to Prov1 area. The impressive part when they were first released was that they were only$32 or so and now they are$45. Sorry too much for my liking.

It's disappointing that the pricing went up to Prov1 area. The impressive part when they were first released was that they were only$32 or so and now they are$45. Sorry too much for my liking.
  • phil75070phil75070 Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    jimb6golf wrote:

I've been a big fan of last year's CS and experimented with the CSX to find it works extremely well for me. However, this price increase, though it works out to about $0.40/ball and I don't tend to lose many balls, exaggerates the difference in cost between it and other comparable performing balls such as the Snell MTB. The 2018 CS and CSX will have to have overwhelming performance to get me to pay $13 to $18 more per dozen than the Snell, and I am a huuuuge Callaway fan. With the plethora of high performance, direct to consumer balls at fantastic prices from Snell, Vice, Cut, etc. I think Callaway is doing the wrong thing with this price increase and taking away from its attraction.
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 709 ✭✭
    I finally got around to playing last year’s CSX last week. For context, I hated the CS and had essentially given up on the CS line altogether. I liked the soft feel, but the ball ballooned off the driver, was too hot off the putter, was too squirrelly with chipping, and just didn’t bite enough off wedges for my tastes.

But someone got me the CSX for Christmas and I was mildly curious about it. I absolutely love the z-star and the 2017 ProV1 (and also really like the KSig), so had decided that those will be my balls for 2018.

Anyway, I played the CSX 17 last week and really liked it. Seemed long off the tee and the irons, and checked much better off the wedges, and speed control with putter / chipping was good. It’s a good ball that I would compare to the KSig and maybe even the ProV1. I didn’t love the feel of it...it wasn’t all that soft...so at some level it appears that Cally just made the CSX to get closer to the modern “standard “ tour ball. I wouldn’t necessarily unseat my z-star / ProV1 with the CSX but I liked it.

Now, though, I’ve read reports here and elsewhere that the CSX 18 truly is longer off the driver / irons, and “spinnier “ off the wedges, than previous versions. If that is the case, then I may have to strongly consider this as a #1 ball option. It will take me this season and probably the next two or three to work through my current ball inventory, so maybe the 2020 version of the CSX will be 40 yards longer than my current ball by then...definitely worth the try 😄
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • scooterboy59scooterboy59 Members Posts: 978 ✭✭
    This ball is crazy good. Have played it the last couple of months. It just goes, period. Love the CH 17 but the 18 carries longer. Word can not describe my results. Your losing out playing another ball other than the 18. Price is great and it out performs everything else.
  • ZNDavisZNDavis Members Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Caved and got a few of the '18 CSX. Can only vouch for putting and chipping performance, but it feels way softer in both circumstances than the '17 CSX. Greenside spin seems about the same. Softer than the '17 ProV1, as well.
    Taylormade M3 • Ping G25 23° hybrid • Titleist T-MB 2 iron • Bridgestone J40 DPC 4 - 9 irons
    Titleist Vokey SM5 46°, 50°, 54° wedges • Taylormade Hi-Toe 58° wedge • Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • swoll crackerswoll cracker Members Posts: 393 ✭✭
    edited Feb 18, 2018 #269
    GC70 wrote:

tipperi wrote:

GC70 wrote:

tipperi wrote:

I hit both new Chrome Soft ballsside by side on a launch monitor with a 7-iron. The Chrome Soft launched .5* higher than the X. The spin rate was about 500rpm higher on the ChromeSoft X. The ball speed was higher on the ChromeSoft X as well (my SS is a little over 80 mph with a 7-iron) by a couple of MPH. My angle of descent was virtually identical. The X flew further and landed softer but the overall distance was virtually the same.

I have not had a chance to hit the balls side by side with a Driver.
    Callaway EPIC Flash SZ 9*, GD Tour AD BB
    Callaway Rogue SZ 18* Project X EvenFlo 75 
    Callaway Rogue 21* Project X EvenFlo 75 
    Callaway X2Hot Pro 23* Hybrid Fujikura Motore F1 85
    Callaway Rogue Pro 5-AW Project X LZ 95 6.0
    Callaway MD4 54* S Grind
    Callaway MD4 PM Grind 58*
    TaylorMade Spider X Copper
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Members Posts: 6,800
    edited Feb 19, 2018 #270
    tipperi wrote:

Picked up the new ball in the black/yellow Truvis at PGA SS yesterday. Switched back and forth between the 18 ball and the previous version also in Black/Yellow. For me, data is still inconclusive. I played at a course I had never been on and because of my unfimiliarity wasn't really sure how far I was driving the ball as tee boxes were shuffled around a bit from the card.

The new ball did feel slightly different and for me it JUMPED off of the putter face compared to the old ball. I play a milled Bettinarid specifically because I struggle with distance control on quick greens and the new ball presented a bit of a problem for me. Pitching a chipping was downright awful for me yesterday and that's really nothing to do with the ball, so that part of the eval is also incomplete.

I have a tee time tomorrow at a course I've played 10-11 times prior and maybe that will give me a better idea off of my longer clubs as to the performance others are seeing.

Played the new CS and my distance control with putter was better than it had been lately. But I think that was me and not the ball. Actually, you're not engaging anything other than the cover when putting, and I think it's the same cover as last year. So I think results say more about your putting that day than the ball.

Otherwise, I found the ball flies well off driver and irons in 45F and in a wind. Was getting my normal 95F temperature iron distances, or was it my recent speed work with the swing? Probably too recent, but I was at least 15 yds beyond a partner who is usually right there with me on good drives. Might be partly the ball.
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • jjones922jjones922 Members Posts: 99 ✭✭
    I played the new ball today.

I liked it, “seemed” further but I was striking it pretty well. Feel around the green was great.

But will probably try to find last years ball at a discount since it suited my needs just fine.