Darn That Second Guy!

MedicMedic Members Posts: 9,421 ✭✭
We've all done it. Hit a terrible shot and then, afterwards, dropped another ball to give it another try. After all surely you cannot hit it THAT bad twice in a row, right?

The second guy.

He always hits the perfect drive.

The pured iron.

The chip shot.

And putt of course.

So today there was hope. (See other thread on what you think of your own swing for explanation) For the first time I played pain free and was on cruise control. On the 14th I hit an awesome drive that rolled underneath some trees - required a lucky iron shot that would stay low and roll up. I did it! To under 2 feet from the hole.

And then.

I lipped out the birdie putt.

Still had a blast playing pain free. And still shot a great round. But of course the second guy nailed that birdie putt. And on the very next hole he managed a pure long iron to the front of the green when my first shot landed way short and in trouble.

Yup, that second guy. If only I could figure out how to pretend I already hit a bad shot and could channel that second guy into my first shot, right?

So...

What's your second guy story? Maybe it's an ace. Or a nice eagle putt. Not a chance that I'm the only one whose second guy is always better than I am!
Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Comments

• HehatemeHehateme Members Posts: 547 ✭✭
    edited May 15, 2018 #2
    My second guy did actually get a hole in one. On the tee box arguing with my brother whether the shot is a PW or a 9, he talks me into the PW. Hit the shot short, imagine that. Go back to the cart, grab a 9 iron, throw the ball down and knock it into the hole. 1ST guy gets par, second guy gets a 1
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,449 ClubWRX
    Both suck equally!
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • Viktoryred3Viktoryred3 Just playing the game... Members Posts: 174 ✭✭
    edited Apr 21, 2018 #4
    My 2nd guy should have his tour card
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • SetTheBarrHighSetTheBarrHigh DallasClubWRX Posts: 3,922 ClubWRX
    There is a tournament at my club every year with the format of a "one man scramble". You get to hit two balls each time and take your best option. You'd be surprised at how good that second guy can be at times, especially when his partner gives him a good read from a putt.
    Instagram @SetTheBarrHigh

What's In The Bag

Ping G410 Plus 9°
    Titleist TS2 16.5°
    Mizuno CLK 19°
    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4-P
    Mizuno T7 52°, Titleist SM7 58°
    Titleist Studio Stainless Mid Sur
  • MedicMedic Members Posts: 9,421 ✭✭

My 2nd guy is should have his tour card

Web.com or the big show? : )
    Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
    Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
    Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
    Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
    Titleist Vokey 50*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
    Tad Moore TM-1 35"
    Callaway Chrome Soft
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,671 ClubWRX
    Hehateme wrote:

My second guy did actually get a hole in one. On the tee box arguing with my brother weather the shot is a PW or a 9, he talks me into the PW. Hit the shot short, imagine that. Go back to the cart, grab a 9 iron, throw the ball down and knock it into the hole. 1ST guy gets par, second guy gets a 1

Boy, some guys will do almost anything to prove they were right!����(I hope that comes across as funny, because that’s how it was intended).
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • Matchplay10033Matchplay10033 Members Posts: 626 ✭✭
    Lol my one playing partner was obsessed with getting his first ace. It is amazing he didnt have one because he is one of the best iron players I've seen. Last week he hit one that came up short. He throws down another ball and hit it dead at the pin... it went in... he may need therapy.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,721 ClubWRX
    Only thing I took out of that was "pain free" - glad to read that!
  • RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,073 ClubWRX
    In our league we have a saying that we have reduced to the acronym "ADA" that we use when one of us chunk the first shot and pure the second. "Any Dumb A$$" can do it the second time.
    Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • lchanglchang Members Posts: 546 ✭✭
    Was just joking with my buddies that my preshot routine should be:

Swing at nonexistent ball. Swear. Say “can’t believe that went OB!” Have playing partner say “Reload, Loser.” Then address actual ball.
  • Conrad1953Conrad1953 Members Posts: 15,061 ✭✭
    lchang wrote:

Was just joking with my buddies that my preshot routine should be:

Swing at nonexistent ball. Swear. Say “can’t believe that went OB!” Have playing partner say “Reload, Loser.” Then address actual ball.

I like that! I think I may try it.
  • FlopperFlopper Members Posts: 194 ✭✭
    I call that second team all American lol
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,374 ✭✭

There is a tournament at my club every year with the format of a "one man scramble". You get to hit two balls each time and take your best option. You'd be surprised at how good that second guy can be at times, especially when his partner gives him a good read from a putt.

It's a very fun thing to do. I have done it for fun playing after work as a single, when i know the course is a little jammed.

It's pretty easy to shoot a really good score. Only done it a few times but always under par
    Cobra F8+ 8.0 w/Aldila NV65 2kxV
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Steelhead XR 18 w/S300
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • SetTheBarrHighSetTheBarrHigh DallasClubWRX Posts: 3,922 ClubWRX
    MtlJeff wrote:

It's a very fun thing to do. I have done it for fun playing after work as a single, when i know the course is a little jammed.

It's pretty easy to shoot a really good score. Only done it a few times but always under par

It’s a great format, would probably work as any courses first tournament of the year. It lets you get some practice in and a couple of competitive rounds at the same time. Our home course is on the short side and one of my long-hitting friends shot -24 in the two day event last month.
    Instagram @SetTheBarrHigh

What's In The Bag

Ping G410 Plus 9°
    Titleist TS2 16.5°
    Mizuno CLK 19°
    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4-P
    Mizuno T7 52°, Titleist SM7 58°
    Titleist Studio Stainless Mid Sur
  • 596596 Lakeland, FLMembers Posts: 3,624 ✭✭
    Playing in Sedona, AZ. Playing alone, 135 yard par 3, front pin, pitching wedge to a few feet short on the fringe, second pitching wedge to 2" left of the hole, one hop, back up and right in the hole.

Nice par!!
  • AppAlumAppAlum Members Posts: 748 ✭✭
    Buster is untied and unbeaten
  • MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members Posts: 1,598 ✭✭
    My second guy not only plays better he also dresses better.
    Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Speedline Super LS
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Adams XTD 4-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • EKELLYEKELLY Members Posts: 2,593 ✭✭
    I do go through gambling runs trying to cut a big corner, hit a provisional, and THAT guy can flat out hammer it.....LOL
  • golfheaven69golfheaven69 Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭
    If the second guy is striping it the first guy is not far behind.
  • Bob9604Bob9604 Members Posts: 270
    My wife likes the second guy better too! 😉
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,701 ✭✭
    My second guy sleeps with my wife.
  • jaredt22jaredt22 Members Posts: 104 ✭✭
    I was told several years ago by a playing partner, after hitting a second shot much better than the first, "A wise man once said 'Make your second shot your first." I still haven't quite figured out how to go about doing that, sometimes.
  • FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 MOMembers Posts: 847 ✭✭
    Hehateme wrote:

My second guy did actually get a hole in one. On the tee box arguing with my brother weather the shot is a PW or a 9, he talks me into the PW. Hit the shot short, imagine that. Go back to the cart, grab a 9 iron, throw the ball down and knock it into the hole. 1ST guy gets par, second guy gets a 1

You have described my nightmare scenario. Still looking for my first ace... I just know its going to happen like this. I'll probably be playing alone too.
    GO DAWGS
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,701 ✭✭
    The guys in the men's locker/shower room at the club throw peanuts on the floor near the second guy.

They don't throw any peanuts at me.
  • CHuntsmanCHuntsman Members Posts: 807 ✭✭
    Known as Bubba. Bubba's always better!!
  • adam667220adam667220 Members Posts: 861 ✭✭
    Similar to the guys that takes several practice swings. All look good, nice brushing contact with the grass, then get over the ball and chunk it, blade it, whatever. Always tell them they "wasted the good one."
    BC+ Driver 10.5°
    BC+ 5 wood 16°
    Adam Idea Super XTD hybrid 21°
    Callaway X2 Hot Irons 5-AW
    52°,56°, 60° wedges
    Odyssey White Hot Pro 2cs
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,273 ✭✭
    If I could be my Mr. Mulligan, I'd have won a major or two.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • EKELLYEKELLY Members Posts: 2,593 ✭✭
    I think Faldo or Miller once said that, "they'd never seen a bad practice swing, but what happens next is anybody's guess!"....
  • golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJMembers Posts: 1,687 ✭✭
    Hehateme wrote:

I'd write down '3' on my scorecard. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night otherwise.

But it's a cool story regardless. Very 1997 Fred Couples like at the 17th TPC

Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

• 1ironcharlie1ironcharlie Members Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Among my buddies, if you make a good score on your second ball, we call it a "Barry Bonds", cause it has an asterisk next to it. I can just see him doing an infomercial. ...

"Do you want to play like a tour pro, but dont have the time to practice, the skill to hone, or the attention span to actually improve? Well, welcome to the Barry Bonds school of golf, where we will teach you proven concepts like, Hand Wedge, Foot Club, and "I'll just hit from here". Now let's hear from Lance Armstrong...."