Tiger vs Phil for $10mil

Comments

• cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,173 ✭✭
    edited Jul 10, 2018 #182
    3puttchamp wrote:

cdnglf wrote:

3puttchamp wrote:

Texsport wrote:

I don't think there's enough interest to raise $10 million.

Texsport

On what planet?? Tiger draws casual fans into watching the game. You the WRX golf pro who knows everything there is to know about golf may not watch but my 70 year old dad who does not even speak english let alone watch golf will tune in because he likes Tiger Woods.

$10M might be possible, but it is pretty ambitious for a presumably one day exhibition with only 2 players.

The purse for most of the majors and the Players is about $10M (US Open is $12M). Those are real championships, with four days of coverage.

Tiger's own silly season event (also a 4 day tournament) has a $3.5M purse.

And you are comparing this to golf tournaments because? This is not a golf tournament.

Because comparing it to other golf events makes more sense than "my Dad likes Tiger Woods".
  • 3puttchamp3puttchamp Members Posts: 91 ✭✭
    cdnglf wrote:

3puttchamp wrote:

cdnglf wrote:

3puttchamp wrote:

Texsport wrote:

I don't think there's enough interest to raise $10 million.

Texsport

On what planet?? Tiger draws casual fans into watching the game. You the WRX golf pro who knows everything there is to know about golf may not watch but my 70 year old dad who does not even speak english let alone watch golf will tune in because he likes Tiger Woods.

$10M might be possible, but it is pretty ambitious for a presumably one day exhibition with only 2 players.

The purse for most of the majors and the Players is about $10M (US Open is $12M). Those are real championships, with four days of coverage.

And you are comparing this to golf tournaments because? This is not a golf tournament.

Because comparing it to other golf tournaments makes more sense than "my Dad likes Tiger Woods".

I think you are missing the point here. My dad reference was to say that a Tiger and Phil match would draw casual fans. Yes its gimmicky from a pure golf standpoint but the argument that this event will not raise X amount of dollars because the US Open purse is X amount is not an apple to apples comparison. This is an exhibition putting two of this generations greatest golfers in a head to head made for TV match. THIS IS NOT A GOLF TOURNAMENT.
  • cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,173 ✭✭
    edited Jul 10, 2018 #184
    3puttchamp wrote:

cdnglf wrote:

3puttchamp wrote:

cdnglf wrote:

3puttchamp wrote:

Because comparing it to other golf tournaments makes more sense than "my Dad likes Tiger Woods".

I think you are missing the point here. My dad reference was to say that a Tiger and Phil match would draw casual fans. Yes its gimmicky from a pure golf standpoint but the argument that this event will not raise X amount of dollars because the US Open purse is X amount is not an apple to apples comparison. This is an exhibition putting two of this generations greatest golfers in a head to head made for TV match. THIS IS NOT A GOLF TOURNAMENT.

No need to shout. Sure, it will draw casual fans. Not so easy to see how it will draw $10M worth, since the biggest events in the game only pay out about that and have about 8x the number of broadcast hours.

What precedent is there to suggest that this hypothetical event could support a purse of that size?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Tim SchochTim Schoch Swing like it already happened. ClubWRX Posts: 1,069 ClubWRX
    edited Jul 10, 2018 #185
    My goodness, Hank Haney is promoting this event like he's got a stake in it. He is pushing the idea that this will be a pay-per-view event. Would you pay? I pay for cable already, and this isn't even a competition. It is an exhibition of two middle-aged golfers past their prime, like the Skins Game shows were.

What it all shows me is how desperate the golf world is for a dominating force, not a group of frat boys wrapped up in a bromance of fame and money, slapping each other on the back without a care in the world, including the fire to dominate.

I am curious to see how Tiger and Phil would respond to the pressure of the faux match, but both are so secure in their own worlds, with their best years behind them, that this will be more of a warm and fuzzy show of two men wandering a green lap of luxury than the fight of the century.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
    - Groucho Marx

WIMB
    TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5* REAX reg graphite
    TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
    Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce reg graphite
    PING G25 blue dot, 5-L, graphite reg
    Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #1
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X, midsize Winn Dri-Tac grips[/size][/font][/font][/size]
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,381 ✭✭
    edited Jul 10, 2018 #186
    What's money to these guys? Especially if it's not their own. Have the revenue go to charity.

They should play for pure bragging rights and something that has great value to them personally.

Like, Phil has to put up his dinosaur head. If it's real, gotta be worth a couple of $MM and I think it was a gift from Amy.

maar02_philmickelson.jpg

And wonder what TW could put up of equal financial and sentimental value? He is notoriously cheap and doesn't seem very sentimental. But he must have something to put up.

So, the winner gets the losers loot.

Also, loser has to sit in a carnival dunk tank while the winner chips balls at the target til they go in!

3bb6e0_872a31ec21bd4d8d8e5bcf52c58f2ee8.gif
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,435 ✭✭
    ^^^^

Forget the money. If Phil loses he has to tell the whole truth about the stick tip/Billy Walters deal. If TW loses he has to give the honest play by play account of the fire hydrant/9 iron to the face

• MilkyButterCutsMilkyButterCuts Members Posts: 848 ✭✭
    You and I know we're all going to watch this.
  • mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,743 ✭✭
    this match should have been done 10 years ago when they hated each other's guts, now playing with someone else's $$, do they really care??

One is slightly over the hill but having a good year, the other well over the hill, one swing away from a wheelchair.
  • BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members Posts: 1,244 ✭✭
    I got $10 mill on Phil...
    G30 LS
    M2 BMW
    XR 4 Hybrid
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros
    Cleveland Blob
    Square Strike
    SeeMore Butts
  • TheGulagTheGulag Members Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Barfolomew wrote:

I got $10 mill on Phil...

I will take 10mil on Tiger with someone elses money.
    tatertot wrote:

Bad day ... Like an arm fell off on the range and he decided to tough it out?
  • Tim SchochTim Schoch Swing like it already happened. ClubWRX Posts: 1,069 ClubWRX
    Of course we will watch, like we would watch any crazy sports exhibition. But I won’t pay extra for sure. Promoters are trying to make it important, which is laughable. No drama here and nothing to attract mote players.
    - Groucho Marx

WIMB
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X, midsize Winn Dri-Tac grips[/size][/font][/font][/size]
  • PGAroxPGArox Members Posts: 10,288 ✭✭
    mocokid wrote:

this match should have been done 10 years ago when they hated each other's guts, now playing with someone else's $$, do they really care??

One is slightly over the hill but having a good year, the other well over the hill, one swing away from a wheelchair.

This made me laugh.
  • Bingo1976Bingo1976 Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    Tim Schoch wrote:

My goodness, Hank Haney is promoting this event like he's got a stake in it. He is pushing the idea that this will be a pay-per-view event. Would you pay? I pay for cable already, and this isn't even a competition. It is an exhibition of two middle-aged golfers past their prime, like the Skins Game shows were.

What it all shows me is how desperate the golf world is for a dominating force, not a group of frat boys wrapped up in a bromance of fame and money, slapping each other on the back without a care in the world, including the fire to dominate.

I am curious to see how Tiger and Phil would respond to the pressure of the faux match, but both are so secure in their own worlds, with their best years behind them, that this will be more of a warm and fuzzy show of two men wandering a green lap of luxury than the fight of the century.

This is by far the worst idea since the Mayweather MacGregor fight. At least that was worth paying for because anytime someone hits Floyd, it makes me smile
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matrix Ozik R[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HiRev[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/font]
  • NaptimeNaptime Members Posts: 607 ✭✭
    edited Jul 11, 2018 #195
    I think $10 million is pretty easy. The TV rights and cross marketing etc. When the Browns play the Steelers it's likely irrelevant to the Super Bowl, but fanboys will buy terrible towels and dog hats and all that stuff. Even on WRX there seem to be passionate factions for TW or FIGJAM. Willing to bet that site traffic would rise and the thread would go over 100 pages.
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭
    It would be great to see Phil hit a moving ball or improve his lie during this match
  • TheGulagTheGulag Members Posts: 165 ✭✭
    edited Jul 11, 2018 #197
    tsecor wrote:

It would be great to see Phil hit a moving ball or improve his lie during this match

But he has to do it when Tigers back is turned so he can act like he didn't do anything wrong or that it never happened. image/pimp.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pimp:' />
    tatertot wrote:

Bad day ... Like an arm fell off on the range and he decided to tough it out?
  • bluefishercatbluefishercat Members Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Nothing new, it's just for more money

Pete
    Cleveland Classic XL 10.5
    Taylormade Jetspeed 3HL
    Callaway Heavenwood
    Callaway X-16 4-PW
    Callaway 50, 56, 60
    Never Compromise Sub 30 S2
  • mcputtermcputter Members Posts: 936 ✭✭
    I could care less about this match (I could also care more).

Unless they play for their own money, it's a carney sham(e).
    Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
    TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
    Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
    Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
    Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
    Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
    Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
    Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
    Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!
  • hogans71hogans71 Ain't no change in the weather, ain't no changes in me Members Posts: 10,701 ✭✭
    How bout they play for the 2019 PGA Tour season? Loser sits out the entire year...

THAT'S something...
    Not making it about money is a good idea. Like Funk's skirt when Annika out-drove him.
    - Groucho Marx

WIMB
  • jmvargasjmvargas Members Posts: 6,154 ✭✭
    i think the promoters should really consider not making the money the main prize here..

something like one day on Tiger's yacht vs Phil caddying for a whole tournament,....or a donation to charity FROM THEIR OWN MONEY of a minimum $1M....etc...

...any other ideas guys?
    Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
    TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
    Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
    Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
    Giga U3 21* hybrid
    Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
    Adams V4 6H/7H
    Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
    HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
    Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
    Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
    Cleveland 588 56/60
  • spud3spud3 Portland, ORMembers Posts: 1,603 ✭✭
    jmvargas wrote:

i think the promoters should really consider not making the money the main prize here..

something like one day on Tiger's yacht vs Phil caddying for a whole tournament,....or a donation to charity FROM THEIR OWN MONEY of a minimum $1M....etc...

...any other ideas guys?

See post #63 on page 3. No money involved.
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • ssfrannyssfranny Lefty Boomers Posts: 2,606 ✭✭
    edited Jul 13, 2018 #204
    EKELLY wrote:

This interests me about as much as the Nebraska Corn Hole Championship!.

Uhhh we dont have that championship.
  • jmvargasjmvargas Members Posts: 6,154 ✭✭
    spud3 wrote:

jmvargas wrote:

...any other ideas guys?

See post #63 on page 3. No money involved.

yes!!...

more ideas like this would be welcome..

in any case if it's just about money again....what else is new???
    Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
    TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
    Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
    Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
    Giga U3 21* hybrid
    Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
    Adams V4 6H/7H
    Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
    HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
    Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
    Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
    Cleveland 588 56/60
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,630 ✭✭
    Loser has to wear this till next Masters (HYMYM quote)

How-I-Met-Your-Mother-Ducky-Tie-Barney-Stinson-Duck-Tie-Unisex-Adult-Size.jpg_640x640.jpg
  • NPVWhizNPVWhiz Members Posts: 1,976 ✭✭
    I can find no money or financial element that makes this interesting. There has to be an avoidance element involved. It has to be something that neither of them want to do.

I propose a craft beer and demo club summit where tiger and Phil attend and the loser has to give a TED like round review talk to explain how they lost while the other one adds color and commentary. Lots of color and commentary.
    Taylormade r11s 9 Penley Stealth 70x 44.5" D-3
    > Taylormade 16 M1 8.5 GD AD TP6x 44.0" D3 PX Hzrdus Black 75 6.0 44.5" D-3
    Nickent 3DX Pro 14 MRC Diamana WB 83s
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18 Grafalloy CNote ProtoX
    Mizuno MP62 DG x-100 Sensicore D-4 3-pw
    > Ping i200 DG120 S3 D-3 +1/4" Red 4-U.
    Vokey SM6 56-14/60-04M DG x-100 Sensicore 1xss D-5
    > Vokey SM6 56/10 60/4M DG 120 S300 35" D-5
    Scotty Golo
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,849 ✭✭
    If it was on a boring night, I would probably watch. Unless it was some kind of PPV, then no way.
  • wjdpar1wjdpar1 Members Posts: 400 ✭✭
    Not playing with their own money.

I'm not interested and won't watch.

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,544 ✭✭
    mcputter wrote:
    I could care less about this match (I could also care more). Unless they play for their own money, it's a carney sham(e).

its couldn't care less. it does not make any sense to say i could care less.
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Directed Force 2.1
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • FatReedFatReed FatReed Unregistered Posts: 601 ✭✭
    edited Jul 15, 2018 #211
    Talk of this $10 million match between Tiger and Phil brewing, as though this would be some huge duel between two greats. I would qualify this a battle of two ‘has-beens,’ and have next if no interest whatsoever in such a match.

What WOULD peak my interest, however, is if Tiger and Phil each put up $10 million of their OWN money. Instead of playing, as per usual, for someone else’s money.

I’m not about rehash the past greats, and the times in which they played. . . . driven to not only win, but to continuously perform at a high level in order to feed their families. No $1 million winner’s purse, or inflation adjusted equivalent. Nor am I going to say modern golfers should not be handsomely rewarded for their abilities to play and compete at the highest (tour) level.

However, to me, the modern tour has grown boring on many levels. Perhaps it’s better to say it’s just missing something. I cannot stand all this ‘comradely’ and ‘rooting for buddies’ that goes on. Is it good sportsmanship? Yes. Sorry, but it’s just not what I’m after between competitors. There is also this increasing perception that the best players are only interested in the majors, and everything in between is a ‘filler’ in their schedules. Is this true of every player on tour? No, but the prevalence is strong enough that it dominates my own perception. . . and many others as well.

So getting back to Tiger and Phil (and the current tour), I think professional golf would benefit from an event, or two, each season where players would be required to put up a LARGE portion of their OWN money for entry into field. For example, $500k to $1 million entry fee, where winner takes all. If 15-30 players had the money - and many do - and were willing to put their game on the line, the intensity and intrigue would likely exceed what is even seen in a major. . . I am pretty **** sure the ‘brat pack’ wouldn’t be rooting for each other, and ‘hugging it out’ with that kind of cash on the line - both their own cash, and the potential tens of millions for winning.

FR
    Post edited by Unknown User on