What clubs in the last 15 years qualify as "unicorns"?

Comments

• MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,483 ✭✭
    MrFlapjack wrote:

MtlJeff wrote:

VNutz wrote:

MrFlapjack wrote:
    2014 Rapture 3 wood I think fits the bill

Agreed. So hot, and gone so quickly.

Fitting description..."fits the bill"

Because the bill for that club was outrageous. I think Bob Parsons got the idea for PXG based solely on that club

Agreed. I only have one cause I hit the boxing week $99 insane-a-sale at Golftown.

I remember that. I think it was limited to West coast? Remember reading guys from Calgary/Vancouver getting great deals. Here we never saw the price drop, sadly. I remember getting an Xhot 3 deep instead if recall
    Cobra F8+ 9.5 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,838 ✭✭
    I got my Rapture 3w brand new wrapped in plastic at PGASS I believe last year. They didn't have a price sticker anywhere on it. Took it to the front to ask about it and they just referenced one they had in the used rack. $84+tax. Probably my biggest score at PGA.

But yes. It classifies as a unicorn because its initial price pushed too many folks away.
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,896 ✭✭
    15 years. Boy I'm going to have to go back to my late teens on some of this stuff.

Taylormade r510 TP - I remember the fever around this club. Everyone on Tour played it, it seemed and every am wanted one.

Diamana Blue Board - I remember Tiger playing this in the early 2000"s and every one of the rich kids had one in the driver.

Titleist 970 fairway wood - near unhittable but the Tiger affect had these things selling for $1000 on eBay. I knew as a kid that a 3 wood that cost near as much as my first car wasn't happening!

Taylormade Super quad long neck - I believe this is the 282 people talk about. I remember one guy that had this club, and protected it like it was a 2 year old child. I was never able to physically touch the club, but man did that thing look and sound good. I had a retail TP which was still pretty good.

Taylormade R7 TP irons - it seemed like everyone I knew played these things and loved them. Myself included.

Callaway FT-3 - the first composite driver that was actually awesome and 460cc. I hit one not long ago and honestly I could still play it.

Taylormade M2 2016 driver and 3 wood - 5 years from now guys will still be playing this driver and still be buying them.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,483 ✭✭
    edited Oct 25, 2018 #65
    The FT9 tour authentic got the holy grail treatment here for a long time.

Then the FT Tour was released, and it was hilarious watching guys who'd spent like 800$ on the FT9 TA tell everyone how they were completely different clubs and the TA was superior

I think at one point even Callaway said they were basically the same club with different decals, though I may be misremembering
    Cobra F8+ 9.5 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • DixieDDixieD Members Posts: 161 ✭✭
    Cobra King LTD, never seen one on the course other than my brothers, the thing is a low spin, forgiving cannon and sounds fantastic. Unfortunately I need a bit more spin or I would have one.
  • Hookasaurus RexHookasaurus Rex Purveyor of fine turf Members Posts: 1,062 ✭✭
    Cobra LTD pro driver- Really, Really good...

2016 M2 driver- One of the best Drivers ever.

Not sure either qualifies as a unicorn in the rarity category, but like TollBros said, in five or ten years when people still want them, they will be in shorter supply.
    Cobra King F9 Avalanche 9* Tensei CK Pro Orange 60TX
    Cobra King LTD 3-4w Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Titleist 913h 19* Aldila Tour Green 85hs
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 4-GW Nippon Modus 3 105x
    Cobra King Black 54*, 58* Modus Wedge 115
    PXG Bat Attack 35” 400g
  • Randy_BobandyRandy_Bobandy Members Posts: 179
    Are people really calling the 2016 M2 Driver a unicorn?!?! There are 50 of them on 2ndswing.com right now. Try and find a paint break V-Steel T3, a Nike Vapor Pro Combo 2-iron, a 2016 M2 Driver in 8.5°, or a deep face M2 fairway wood. Those are real unicorns.
    TM M1 8.5° - 757x
    TM M1 15° - 757x TS
    Mizuno MP-18 Fli-Hi 2i
    Vapor Pro 4-PW
    Engage 52* square
    TM TP EF 58-10
    Method Matter B2-01
    Bridgestone Tour B330s
  • EaglesGolf99EaglesGolf99 (.... Formerly Known As RaidersGolf99) Foxboro, MAMembers Posts: 2,424 ✭✭
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero Fairway 16.5°

Callaway Apex Hybrid 16° 1H

Callaway FT-5 LCG Driver 10.5°
    2017 WORLD CHAMPION
    PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

W. I. T. B.

Callaway Epic Flash 9.0° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 X
    Callaway TC Rogue 4+ 16.0° HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 X
    Callaway TC Apex 2H 18.0° Tour Spec Speeder 904HB X
    Callaway TC Apex 4H 23.0° Tour Spec Speeder 904HB X
    Callaway X-Forged UT 27.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Callaway X-Forged UT 30.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura 1957 CB-57 7-8 Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura 1957 Baby Blade 9-P Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura Hand Grind Raw 52.0° / 10.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura Hand Grind Raw 58.0° / 10.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura 1957 KM-007 Soft Black Apollo APPN 36 Black Smoke S
    Callaway 2018 Chrome Soft X
  • LCPLCP Members Posts: 1,268 ✭✭
    edited Oct 25, 2018 #70
    Wow. I really feel bad about moving my Cobra LTD Pro driver into the backup driver bag. Maybe I'll revisit that one day. Guess I sure can't sell it now. But I think my G400 LST is straighter and just about as long.

Might nominate the G/G400 Ping Stretch 13º "3 wood" (just call it a 2 wood already) for the unicorn contest. I've got one. Never seen another one. Close to a mini-driver, and a great straight tee club to take 20 or so yards off of your driver. Still hittable off the deck if you just want to advance the ball as far as you can (not launch it and land soft) with that flat smooth sole and low CG.

Maybe Adams XTD Ti hybrids -- absolute cannons, but a bit too upright really.

I remember hearing of a Ping i20 2 iron. That would be neat.

Has Ping ever made a 64º wedge?
  • Ray JacksonRay Jackson Members Posts: 1,091 ✭✭
    Taylormade 2016 M2 10.5*
  • ago33ago33 Members Posts: 2,156 ✭✭
    Taylormade 2016 M2

Tour Edge CB2/ CB4

Callaway x hot deep

Tour Preffered DI

Ping Anser Hybrid

Mizzy MP 53/32/68
    Cobra F9 Speedback 9.................................Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    TC Callaway X Hot 3 Deep 14.5...................Rombax P95 X
    Taylormade GAPR Mid 3..............................Recoil Utility 110F5
    Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 4,5................................AMT TI X100
    Mizuno MP-25 6-PW....................................AMT TI X100
    Callaway MD Forged 50, 56.........................AMT TI S400
    TI Taylormade Hi Toe 60.09..........................AMT TI S400
    Scotty Cameron 5.5M...................................Grip Master
  • philly2kukphilly2kuk Members Posts: 631 ✭✭
    I remember a friend that had both the taylormade XR03 and XR05 drivers from release day. They went absolutely miles but I never saw them in anyone else’s bag or in shops.
    Taylormade M3 with Evenflow Blue
    Ping G 17.5° with Tour 80
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 22°
    Ping G25 4-UW
    Vokey SM7 56/14 and 60/10
    Scotty Cameron 2014 Fastback
    Titleist Pro V1x

Remember, there's no pictures on a scorecard, only a number.
  • 95124hacker95124hacker Rare putter collection Members Posts: 1,310 ✭✭
    edited Oct 26, 2018 #74
    I think some are confusing the term unicorn to mean iconic instead of super rare / virtually nonexistent or fictional.

Given that definition, that would only apply to customs, Tour issued, limited editions, or so old that 99% of them were thrown away
    ‘17 M2 “K serial” 10.5* turned down a notch, Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 63S
    '16 M1 3HL (17*), Fujikura Pro 70S
    King F7 2-3 (19*), Fujikura Pro 75h, S
    Fourteen Hi-610h T.S. #4 (24*), Quadra 4AX SOF 100i
    '09 Yamaha Inpres X V-Forged Tourmodel 4-PW, Roddio Pentacross I-10, S
    Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 52* & 58*
    Odyssey WHP CSM 400g
    Ball: Performing validation testing of the M G S test
  • "THE GREEK""THE GREEK" Members Posts: 43 ✭✭
    I'm still gaming the j15 cb and i'm a club hoe. I've purchased many irons over the last 3 years yet the j15 always make their way to the course with me. That is saying something. I did however test the new z785 irons yesterday and i must say they are the only clubs that could possibly replace my beloved Bridgestones. I really need to post some clubs on here for sale come to think of it.
  • DoglegRightDoglegRight Members Posts: 1,127 ✭✭
    edited Oct 26, 2018 #76
    I had a short stint with a possible unicorn last week when I picked up a JDM Sldr 430. After a couple of range sessions, I was reminded as to why the Sldr line was so polarizing. I hit a few bombs but also some awful shots. It was just too inconsistent for me. The darker JDM finish looked amazing though.

Other unicorns: Ping Anser irons
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • baudibaudi Members Posts: 645 ✭✭
    +1 for the Ping Ansers. Great heads.
  • Rosco1216Rosco1216 Members Posts: 2,976 ✭✭
    The 2016m2 could be a unicorn if it was structurally sound. The 2016m1/m2 models failed at high speeds quickly.
    Tour Issue M3 8.5*(7.4* @ 3.4* open) - Diamana DF 70tx
    FW - who knows
    P790 UDI 17* - PX 7.0
    Miura CB 1008(4-P) - PX 7.0
    Bridgestone TourB XW1 50/55//60* - X100
    Piretti Matera 2 Limited Release

https://www.instagram.com/rc_nova
  • leomessi10leomessi10 Members Posts: 529 ✭✭
    Unicorns I've had over the years. Taylormade 300 Tour (8 deg and 9.5 deg), Taylormade X-300 FCI (miura forged), I'd call my TN-87s unicorns. I've only ever saw two sets and I've owned both. I sold one set years ago and bought another a few years ago. They seem to only exist on golf boards. They aren't super rare but the 16 M2 8.5 is harder to find and really really good.
  • MychMych Members Posts: 1,863 ✭✭
    edited Oct 26, 2018 #80
    I see a lot of people naming horses, not so many unicorns. Sure, they're great horses in many cases, but still just horses. Anyone could own a winning race horse with a big bankroll. They're out there and available, but they're still just horses. Not particularly unique or hard to find with a 5 minute google search.

A unicorn would take you a lifetime (or in GolfWRX terms, at least a month or two) of reading old posts, sending personal messages, ebay/2ndswing/CPO searches. And if it's a real unicorn, during that process you'd try to figure out the closest similar club and realize there really isn't anything else like it.

There are some that are unique enough, but not rare enough (Cobra F6 Baffler).

There are some that are rare, but not unique (most of the drivers listed).

The Hibore 2W is a unique combination of shaft length, head weighting, loft, drop-crown, and head size. Now, go find one and see how easy they are to get a hold of. You may find one. You'd be hard pressed to find two. For a while I had an ebay search saved for them and I saw one come up for sale every 6-8 months, usually pretty close to their original retail price.
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5*~ F6 Baffler 16.5* ~ Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~ King Utility ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Ping Tatum putter
    6 club minimalist: Cobra King Utility ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Ping Tatum putter ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • SUITSSUITS Members Posts: 931 ✭✭
    Im a lefty, I have a cleveland CLassic 310 with the kusala black. Ive never seen another on pop up.
  • bodhi555bodhi555 Members Posts: 780 ✭✭
    philly2kuk wrote:

I remember a friend that had both the taylormade XR03 and XR05 drivers from release day. They went absolutely miles but I never saw them in anyone else’s bag or in shops.

I had an XR05 for a season - it did go miles, just not always in the right direction image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

To be fair to it, I hit 2 of my most memorable drives with it - one 350 yards downhill at Conwy, and the other to 2 feet away from the pin on a 290 yard uphill Par 4. So it was long, but wildly inconsistent. I should have kept the R300 I had before, but was tempted by new shiny.
    The Blue Thunder: Nike Vapor Fly - 9.5 degree - Speeder Evolution 757X
    The Stenson: Titleist 917 F3 15 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 75X
    The Walking Stick: Titleist 818 H2 19 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 85X
    The Blades: Nike VR Pro 4i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
    The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
    The Putter: Nike "The Oven" Method 003
    Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist AVX
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five

• bladehunterbladehunter Rain rain go the hell away ! south carolinaMembers Posts: 26,672 ✭✭
    Thought of another. Sldr mini Driver. Long hosel in 10.5 loft. Uber rare. Like did not make many. I owned and cracked 2 of these heads. Bought a 3rd and it was cracked (used) when I got it. Place refunded me no issues. But I’ve nevwr seen another for sale. Great Driver replacement at that loft.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21 ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-pw  Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • bladehunterbladehunter Rain rain go the hell away ! south carolinaMembers Posts: 26,672 ✭✭
    edited Oct 26, 2018 #84

I had a short stint with a possible unicorn last week when I picked up a JDM Sldr 430. After a couple of range sessions, I was reminded as to why the Sldr line was so polarizing. I hit a few bombs but also some awful shots. It was just too inconsistent for me. The darker JDM finish looked amazing though.

Other unicorns: Ping Anser irons

Yep. I recal when the jdm Sldr went for $1k or more here. Then at the end I bought 2 for $89 each at dicks sports when they hit close out. TM shippped all the overstock from overseas to dump here at dicks. Most had real graphite design AD-mt6s shafts too. I loved the look of the jdm Sldr. But he head was 15g or so lighter than the US version. So I hated it on feel.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21 ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-pw  Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • royalgingernessroyalgingerness Members Posts: 162 ✭✭
    edited Oct 26, 2018 #85
    I'll play.

R510tp. Still to this day the best driver ever

R7 hfs 3 wood (tour issue). Simply awesome.

Sonartec md hybrid. Like a 2 iron, but cheating.

Cleveland 588, original shape. 58 degree tour grind tour zip groove (tour issue). Best wedge I've ever owned. By some margin.

Adams cmb. What everyone else said.
  • sixtysevensixtysevensixtysevensixtyseven Members Posts: 2,028
    gentles wrote:

cgasucks wrote:

gentles wrote:

The word gets thrown around a lot in the BST, seemingly reserved for clubs that were unexpectedly good or popular, and have remained popular beyond the standard cycle. Having a 50+ page thread on here seems to be a pre-requisite too!

Just for fun, two questions
    1. When someone says unicorn, what do you think it should mean?
    2. What are your favourite unicorns?

I'll start - UDI 1 iron, Adams BTY Fairway wood, R510 TP driver?

Since 2005, the only club I can think of that is still revered to this day is the 905R. Don't get me wrong, I love the R510TP (in fact I have one myself) but that was made in 2003 (I think), not 2005 (you said last 15 years, not last 17).

Though i'll admit I didn't check the numbers before posting, 2003 is 15 years ago by my maths? Regardless, 905r is a great suggestion!

I sat and looked at that for a while. I did the math about 20 times and then I looked at the calendar to make sure it wasn't 2020 already. I mean I know time goes by fast but that would've ruined my weekend.
  • danwillygreendanwillygreen Members Posts: 4
    ObieTrice5 wrote:

Nike Splits

Maybe not quite old enough, but the 2012 Nike Vr Forged Pro Combos are an absolute classic for me.
  • jaymay82jaymay82 Honolulu, HIMembers Posts: 517 ✭✭
    Tiger's Scotty Cameron Newport Two
    Nike | Titleist | Bridgestone
  • danwillygreendanwillygreen Members Posts: 4

ObieTrice5 wrote:

Nike Splits

Maybe not quite old enough, but the 2012 Nike Vr Forged Pro Combos are an absolute classic for me.

Are people really calling the 2016 M2 Driver a unicorn?!?! There are 50 of them on 2ndswing.com right now. Try and find a paint break V-Steel T3, a Nike Vapor Pro Combo 2-iron, a 2016 M2 Driver in 8.5°, or a deep face M2 fairway wood. Those are real unicorns.

Unicorn in terms of performance, not rarity.

philly2kuk wrote:

I actually have one of those. And the XR-05 cti as well.

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
    Rosco1216 wrote:

The 2016m2 could be a unicorn if it was structurally sound. The 2016m1/m2 models failed at high speeds quickly.

I've caved maybe 20 heads over time including m1 heads of both sizes. Never had a single issue with the 8.5 M2 2016 heads though. I'm not sure if the tour heads differ in construction or not but it wouldn't surprise me.