ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Callaway epic flash? is this legit? (New Pics added Pg 1)

1232425262729»

Comments

• moorebaseballmoorebaseball Advanced Members Posts: 215 ✭✭
    swing33 wrote:

post-465296-0-15568600-1552326113_thumb.jpg

That looks awesome!!! No how do we improve the sound? Improved sound= In my bag!
  • Digger818Digger818 ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 57 ClubWRX
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

Honestly, if you're fit into Flash and love it, the $70 isn't TOO steep.

How much would Continental charge for something similar?

Also, has anybody here added hotmelt into the fairways? If so, did it help mute/soften the sound at all?

I have a flash SZ driver and a flash 3w. The sound is total different between them. Driver is loud and the 3 wood is a muted thump.
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Advanced Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭
    Digger818 wrote:

Z1ggy16 wrote:

Also, has anybody here added hotmelt into the fairways? If so, did it help mute/soften the sound at all?

I have a flash SZ driver and a flash 3w. The sound is total different between them. Driver is loud and the 3 wood is a muted thump.

Maybe because I'm a slower swinger but the sound/feel is just explosive....certainly not loud or obnoxious like a Nike Sumo
    JNewsted wrote:

mackepa wrote:
    The other day I ordered a Epic Flash driver and fairway with AD-IZ shafts and was quoted 2 weeks backorder. The clubs shipped the very next day and I’ll have them in my hands on Monday. Seems like they’re cranking these things out quick.

Same setup for me and it was 7 days, Monday to Monday. Enjoy!

(I think the 3w is the star of the new releases though...)

I agreed about the 3w being a star. Definitely the easiest and straightest 3w I ever hit off the tee and especially off the deck.
  • PatsNationPatsNation Advanced Members Posts: 1,484 ✭✭
    Digger818 wrote:

JNewsted wrote:

mackepa wrote:
    The other day I ordered a Epic Flash driver and fairway with AD-IZ shafts and was quoted 2 weeks backorder. The clubs shipped the very next day and I'll have them in my hands on Monday. Seems like they're cranking these things out quick.

I agreed about the 3w being a star. Definitely the easiest and straightest 3w I ever hit off the tee and especially off the deck.
    Couldnt agree more just hit the 3 wood this weekend. I will be getting one
    SwooshLT wrote:

Digger818 wrote:

Z1ggy16 wrote:

Maybe because I'm a slower swinger but the sound/feel is just explosive....certainly not loud or obnoxious like a Nike Sumo

Is your 3w a SZ or regular. My SS is about 95 with a driver
  • boycer11boycer11 ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 3,417 ClubWRX
    PatsNation wrote:

Digger818 wrote:

JNewsted wrote:

mackepa wrote:
    The other day I ordered a Epic Flash driver and fairway with AD-IZ shafts and was quoted 2 weeks backorder. The clubs shipped the very next day and I'll have them in my hands on Monday. Seems like they're cranking these things out quick.

Standard flash 3wd or sz?
    Ping G400 max tensei orange pro
    Callaway epic flash sz 3 wood
    Ping g400 5 wd rogue black 7s
    ping g410 tensei hybrid
    Epon 705 5-aw limited black kbs flt matte black/Callaway Apex 2019 combo
    miura limited black tour 2018 54/58
    taylormade jdm itsy bitsy spider
    ping hoofer
    tp5x
    I have the standard
  • PatsNationPatsNation Advanced Members Posts: 1,484 ✭✭
    boycer11 wrote:

PatsNation wrote:

Digger818 wrote:

JNewsted wrote:

mackepa wrote:

Standard flash 3wd or sz?
    I hit the SZ
    Digger818 wrote:

SwooshLT wrote:

Digger818 wrote:

Z1ggy16 wrote:

Is your 3w a SZ or regular. My SS is about 95 with a driver

Driver SZ and solid feel....3wd is regular and awesome....looking to add heavenwood
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Advanced Members Posts: 7,035 ✭✭
    Anybody playing the 18* 5w down at lower loft as a 4w? Flash SZ is so long at 15* it's almost pointless. Thinking maybe regular 5w turned down to 17*.
    WITB
    LTD Pro Kiyoshi White 65X
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    Apex Pro Smoke incoming!!
    Stealth 2.0 50/10SS
    Stealth 2.0 54/12SS
    Stealth 2.0 58/10SS
    TP Black Copper Juno
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag
  • bnb9433bnb9433 Advanced Members Posts: 206 ✭✭
    PatsNation wrote:

Digger818 wrote:

JNewsted wrote:

mackepa wrote:

The SZ 3w is a bomber. It will stay in the bag for a while
    Cobra F9 w/ Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6s
    Epic Flash 3w w/ HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 70g
    Ping i200 w/ PX 6.0
    Vokey
    Odyssey O works
    ProV1
  • swing33swing33 Advanced Members Posts: 87 ✭✭
    SwooshLT wrote:

swing33 wrote:

post-465296-0-15568600-1552326113_thumb.jpg

This custom was an xtra 70? Looks great!
    Yes, it was an additional $70. When you consider the cost of the club I feel that is a pretty reasonable upcharge for the custom paint and head cover. Callaway has always been great to deal with and this was no exception. Ordered on 3/1 and it was delivered to me on 3/11. Looks even better than I had expected....
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 10,115 ClubWRX
    bnb9433 wrote:

PatsNation wrote:

Digger818 wrote:

JNewsted wrote:

mackepa wrote:

The SZ 3w is a bomber. It will stay in the bag for a while

Did you by chance test the F9 Tour fwy?
    F9 - 9* Atmos Black 7s
    F9 Tour 3w - Smoke 75
    Epic 3H - Tensei Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 fli-hi LZ 115
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • scottleoscottleo Advanced Members Posts: 1,216 ✭✭
    Are you guys seeing a big difference in sound, feel and performance in the Flash compared to the Rogue? Currently playing the Rogue Driver and 4 wood. I like the fact that the FW woods are now adjustable. Is it worth it to switch?
    Rogue 10.5* GD IZ 6s
    Rogue 17* GD IZ 7s
    Titleist H1 21* & 25* GDHY 85s
    Srixon 565/765 5-AW N.S. Pro Modus 105s
    Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M N.S.Pro Modus Wedge 115
    Bettinardi Queen B6/B8
    Taylormade TP5X
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Advanced Members Posts: 7,035 ✭✭
    scottleo wrote:

Are you guys seeing a big difference in sound, feel and performance in the Flash compared to the Rogue? Currently playing the Rogue Driver and 4 wood. I like the fact that the FW woods are now adjustable. Is it worth it to switch?

Not gaming either, but I was fit into Rogue last season, went to his Flash last night.

Don't think you'll gain much if any distance but having the adjustability can be nice. Unless you specifically like the look of a glued head I don't see a reason why you wouldn't want an adjustable neck. Now.... is that worth the upcharge right now? Only you can decide that one.
    WITB
    LTD Pro Kiyoshi White 65X
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    Apex Pro Smoke incoming!!
    Stealth 2.0 50/10SS
    Stealth 2.0 54/12SS
    Stealth 2.0 58/10SS
    TP Black Copper Juno
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag
  • 3 Jack Par3 Jack Par I only answer to "Ace" now Members, ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 6,047 ClubWRX
    scottleo wrote:

The mere fact that a club is adjustable would only be a reason to switch if there’s something about your current club that would be improved by the adjustability. For most people, it’s best to get a club dialed in to the best settings, and then forget it. That, and being able to switch shafts easily are the primary advantages of adjustability. If your Rogue is already a good fit for you, it’s doubtful that you’d see any real performance difference by upgrading.
    Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 8*, Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
    Tour issue TaylorMade M2 Tour, 14.9*, Aldila Rogue 125 80TX
    Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) HZRDUS Black 85X or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
    Scratch SB-1 3-PW, Nippon Modus3 120x
    Scratch FIT 53*/58*, DS grind, DG S400, (sometimes) Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
    Byron Morgan B-17, 35", Blue Oil finish or Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #1 38"
    WITB Link
  • jcg132jcg132 PTPOTCW Advanced Members Posts: 997 ✭✭
    Picked up a flash SZ head for 15% off from the eBay sale yesterday, will hopefully be putting it up against my F9 on trackman this weekend if it gets here in time. Whichever has the higher ball speed will end the driver search for 2019, I can get launch/spin dialed in with shaft and head settings.
    Cobra King F9 Tour Length Speedback 8° - Mitsubishi Chemical TENSEI CK Pro White 60 TX (D5)
    PXG 0341 X GEN2 16.5° - Aldila 2019 ATX Tour Blue Graphene Prototype 70 TX (42.5", D7)
    PXG 0317 X GEN2 19° - Graphite Design Tour AD DI Hybrid 85 Stiff (40.0", D5)
    Tour Issue Callaway Epic Hybrid 22° - Graphite Design Tour AD DI Hybrid 85 Stiff (D5)
    PXG 0311 P GEN2 5-7 - Oban CT-115 Stiff (D4)
    PXG 0311 T GEN2 8-9 - Oban CT-115 Stiff (1.0° Strong, D4)
    PXG 0311 T GEN2 PW - Oban CT-115 Stiff (1.0° Strong, D5)
    Vokey SM7 Raw 49.11°F - Oban CT-115 Stiff (+0.25", 1.0° Flat, D5)
    Vokey SM7 Raw 54.10°S - Oban CT-115 Stiff (+0.25", 1.0° Flat, D5+)
    Vokey SM7 Raw 59.09°M - Oban CT-115 Stiff (+0.25", 1.0° Flat, D6)
    Scotty Cameron 009M Carbon - 34", 3.5°, 70°

2019 Titleist Pro V1
    Golf Pride MCC Plus4
    FootJoy Pure Touch Limited
    Sun Mountain C130S
  • xjohnxxjohnx Advanced Members Posts: 2,005
    jcg132 wrote:

Picked up a flash SZ head for 15% off from the eBay sale yesterday, will hopefully be putting it up against my F9 on trackman this weekend if it gets here in time. Whichever has the higher ball speed will end the driver search for 2019, I can get launch/spin dialed in with shaft and head settings.

Remember that some of those other settings and variables can have an effect on ball speed. Especially different shafts.
  • jcg132jcg132 PTPOTCW Advanced Members Posts: 997 ✭✭
    edited March 14
    xjohnx wrote:
    jcg132 wrote:

Remember that some of those other settings and variables can have an effect on ball speed. Especially different shafts.

True - it will be the TPW 60TX in the Cobra and the Synergy Black 60TX in the Flash SZ. Both playing 44.5" and untipped. And I will keep them both at 8*. So it won't be exactly apples to apples. But close enough to make an assessment either way hopefully.

I know on center strikes I have been seeing 2-3 mph more ball speed from the F9 versus my old tour issue Epic SZ (same settings/shafts I mentioned above) on trackman.
    Cobra King F9 Tour Length Speedback 8° - Mitsubishi Chemical TENSEI CK Pro White 60 TX (D5)
    PXG 0341 X GEN2 16.5° - Aldila 2019 ATX Tour Blue Graphene Prototype 70 TX (42.5", D7)
    PXG 0317 X GEN2 19° - Graphite Design Tour AD DI Hybrid 85 Stiff (40.0", D5)
    Tour Issue Callaway Epic Hybrid 22° - Graphite Design Tour AD DI Hybrid 85 Stiff (D5)
    PXG 0311 P GEN2 5-7 - Oban CT-115 Stiff (D4)
    PXG 0311 T GEN2 8-9 - Oban CT-115 Stiff (1.0° Strong, D4)
    PXG 0311 T GEN2 PW - Oban CT-115 Stiff (1.0° Strong, D5)
    Vokey SM7 Raw 49.11°F - Oban CT-115 Stiff (+0.25", 1.0° Flat, D5)
    Vokey SM7 Raw 54.10°S - Oban CT-115 Stiff (+0.25", 1.0° Flat, D5+)
    Vokey SM7 Raw 59.09°M - Oban CT-115 Stiff (+0.25", 1.0° Flat, D6)
    Scotty Cameron 009M Carbon - 34", 3.5°, 70°

2019 Titleist Pro V1
    Golf Pride MCC Plus4
    FootJoy Pure Touch Limited
    Sun Mountain C130S
  • jcorna01jcorna01 Advanced Members Posts: 567 ✭✭
    Maize and Blue edition found today in Ann Arbor.
  • 3 Jack Par3 Jack Par I only answer to "Ace" now Members, ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 6,047 ClubWRX
    jcorna01 wrote:

Gross image/bad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':bad:' />
    Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) HZRDUS Black 85X or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
    Scratch FIT 53*/58*, DS grind, DG S400, (sometimes) Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
    WITB Link
  • Lefty28Lefty28 Members Posts: 182 ✭✭
    edited March 15
    I was finally able to hit both the sub zero Driver and 3W in a fitting this week. I gamed the original epic the last couple seasons but it always spun too much for me, and I didn’t like the shaping of the original epic sub zero.

I was pleasantly surprised by the shaping of the flash and thought it resembled the original epic in a lot of ways. The color didn’t bother me at all from address or from looking at the sole, but I can understand why others may not like it. The line on the top was visible, but framed the head nicely and wasn’t distracting.

The moment of truth, the sound. I was inside and hit everything out right now. M5, F9, TS3, ST190 and I didn’t think the sound was noticeable at all. In fact, the only club I noticed the sound on was the TS3.

The performance came down to the ST190 and the Flash. Ball speeds between the 2 were almost identical, and the flash spun slightly less. I went with the flash because it set up so much better to my eye than the ST190, and I like the adjustability of the flash, but that is just preference.

The sub zero 3W was also very impressive against everything else. I used the loft sleeve to open it in a couple degrees so it sat just perfect. Like many have said, I think the real winner is the fairway woods this year. I’ll try to post my numbers later when i get home.
    Lefty28 wrote:

I was finally able to hit both the sub zero Driver and 3W in a fitting this week. I gamed the original epic the last couple seasons but it always spun too much for me, and I didn’t like the shaping of the original epic sub zero.

I was pleasantly surprised by the shaping of the flash and thought it resembled the original epic in a lot of ways. The color didn’t bother me at all from address or from looking at the sole, but I can understand why others may not like it. The line on the top was visible, but framed the head nicely and wasn’t distracting.

The moment of truth, the sound. I was inside and hit everything out right now. M5, F9, TS3, ST190 and I didn’t think the sound was noticeable at all. In fact, the only club I noticed the sound on was the TS3.

The performance came down to the ST190 and the Flash. Ball speeds between the 2 were almost identical, and the flash spun slightly less. I went with the flash because it set up so much better to my eye than the ST190, and I like the adjustability of the flash, but that is just preference.

The sub zero 3W was also very impressive against everything else. I used the loft sleeve to open it in a couple degrees so it sat just perfect. Like many have said, I think the real winner is the fairway woods this year. I’ll try to post my numbers later when i get home.

Congrats...hoping you have same success as I!

jcorna01 wrote:

Gross image/bad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':bad:' />
    Lol, I just had a lesson yesterday, and I'm pretty sure this is my instructor's club.

I did also get a chance to try the Flash SZ on Trackman against my original Epic SZ, and I was very surprised by the results. The Flash SZ absolutely blew away the Epic SZ and the G410 Plus that I recently acquired. The thing that was most surprising is that the Flash SZ spun significantly less than the Epic.  Ball speed was also consistently 2-3 mph faster at the same swing speed. On average, I was getting the following numbers (115 mph average swing speed):
    Epic SZ: 167.3 mph, 14.2* launch, 2900 rpm  
    Flash SZ: 169.4, 13.5*, 2250
    G410+: 162.2, 14.5*, 3200

All three clubs used the same shaft (in the case of the two Callaway heads, the exact same shaft), and I was swinging it well and making solid contact on just about every shot. One other thing I saw that raised my eyebrows was when I hit one thin with the Flash SZ, and I still got ball speed over 165mph (though with high 3000s spin), and I've never seen anything that high on strikes like that. Usually, shots like that top out around 160.  
    Yesterday, I hit the Flash SZ quite a bit better than I had previously in the one round that I've played with it, and another couple of range sessions. I set the sliding weight (16g that callaway sent to me to adjust swingweight) toward the toe (about halfway between the center position and the furtherst toward the toe), and that seems to be giving me the little bit of fade bias I need to keep it from going left. 
    I'm going to hold onto my original Epic SZ, at least for a while, but the Flash SZ is definitely going to be in my bag to start the year.

WITB Link
  • scratchswingerscratchswinger Advanced Members Posts: 16,148 ✭✭

Anyone else notice how straight the Flash SZ flies?

• Judge440Judge440 Titleist will always have my heart. ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 2,060 ClubWRX

@scratchswinger said:

Are you gaming it? What shaft?

Titleist TS2 9.5* - Fujikura Atmos TS Black 6X
    Titleist 917F2  15* - Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 7X
    Titleist 818H1 19* - Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X
    Titleist 718 AP2 - PX LZ 6.5
    Titleist SM7 Raw - 50.12F | 54.14F | 60-12D - TI S400
    SC Tour Rat

WITB Link

https://www.instagram.com/judge44o/
  • scratchswingerscratchswinger Advanced Members Posts: 16,148 ✭✭

@Judge440 said:

@scratchswinger said:

Are you gaming it? What shaft?

I tested on trackman against everything, ordered it with a Graphite Design VR7 on the spot. I was extremely impressed with how straight it was even on misshits.

• Nic1972Nic1972 Advanced Members Posts: 691 ✭✭

I played my second round with the Flash SZ today and am really impressed. I found myself in places I never have been, gained at least 20 meters over my Nike. The head - shaft combination seems to suit my swing, and I have a lot of confidence from the tee-box. But the best part is the forgiveness. I hit one thin and I lost only a few meters, in fact I could not believe to find my ball in the spot it finished...

Driver: Nike Covert Pro 2.0 / Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Ltd 60 S / Golf Pride MCC Align Black / White
    Mini-Driver: Callaway X2Hot 2-Deep / Aldila Tour Green ATX75 3.7 S / Golf Pride MCC Align Black / White
    3-Wood: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 TP / Matrix Ozik Rul 80 S / Golf Pride MCC Align Black / White
    DI: Adams DHY Pro (18') / Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 82H S / Golf Pride MCC Align Black /White
    Hybrids: Titleist 585H (21°); Adams 9031 Pro (24°) / Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 82H S / Golf Pride MCC Align Black / White
    Irons: Mizuno MP H-5 (4 Iron); Mizuno MP 4 (5 - PW) / Mitsubishi OT-I 105 S / Golf Pride MCC Align Black / White
    Wedges: Vokey SM 7 (50F08, 54M08, 58L04) / Project X LZ 6.0 / Golf Pride MCC Align Black /White
    Putter: Yes Callie & Scotty Cameron California Fastback / UST Mamiya Frequency Filtered / Golf Pride Tour SNSR 104 Pistol
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1X
    Apparel: Nike
    Glove: Nike Tour Classic
    Shoes: Nike Lunar Command 2
    Bag: Nike