Hosung Choi @ AT&T

1235»

Comments

• flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,533 ✭✭
    Shawn Clement's analysis

WWG1 WGA
  • spartY84spartY84 Members Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Don't understand why Choi was getting so much abuse from media types on Golf Channel, etc. like he was some kind of sideshow. He has at least accomplished something as a professional unlike a lot of sponsor's exemptions (cough, Dru Love, cough).
  • OffTheDoleOffTheDole Florida golfer Members Posts: 340 ✭✭
    edited Feb 11, 2019 2:54pm #124
    spartY84 wrote:

Don't understand why Choi was getting so much abuse from media types on Golf Channel, etc. like he was some kind of sideshow. He has at least accomplished something as a professional unlike a lot of sponsor's exemptions (cough, Dru Love, cough).

I didn't really get the backlash either, especially from the "Why not a Web.com or other upcoming player?" angle.

His sponsors invite also generated a bit of consternation because he's taken 19 of them so far since turning pro at 17 in 2015.
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,576 ✭✭
    It's that stupid lasso dance all over again
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,666 ClubWRX
    OffTheDole wrote:

spartY84 wrote:

I didn't really get the backlash either, especially from the "Why not a Web.com or other upcoming player?" angle.

[url="https://www.sheppnews.com.au/@golf/2019/02/06/431335/ruffels-hits-back-at-pga-exemption-critics"]His sponsors invite also generated a bit of consternation[/url] because he's taken 19 of them so far since turning pro at 17 in 2015.

His OWGR is what it is, but just proves OWGR overvalues his results and needs some review for how it evaluates some other tours.
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

OffTheDole wrote:

spartY84 wrote:

His sponsors invite also generated a bit of consternation because he's taken 19 of them so far since turning pro at 17 in 2015.

His OWGR is what it is, but just proves OWGR overvalues his results and needs some review for how it evaluates some other tours.

I always get the sense Asian players are obviously more comfortable playing at home as are US players in the states.

You will always be more consistent in an environment and atmosphere you are comfortable, such as the language, people, food and obviously course conditions.

Jumbo Ozaki is an example of this. He has beaten many top international players at home but his record away is quite poor for his calibre.

Given Ho-Sung Choi is 45 and it was his first trip to the US, people shouldn't underestimate his ability. He probably struggled with the bomb and gouge approach to US golf.
  • flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,533 ✭✭
    HSC was sponsor exempt. It is up to the sponsor's discretion. I am sure all of you invite guests to your house on your own discretion.
    WWG1 WGA
  • They just have him there for entertainment not because he is good I mean compared to me he is good but compared to Rickey and Champ he sucks.