Freddie on Feherty

Comments

• grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,087 ✭✭
    chigolfer1 wrote:

Hopefully next week he can ask Davis Love about finding his brother in law dead in a hunting cabin after stealing millions from him? Season finale he can have Ken Green re-create the RV accident that killed his girlfriend?

I had to google the Davis Love thing. I wasn't sure if you were saying Davis was stealing from his bro-in-law or vice versa. For those that don't know, his bro-in-law was accused of stealing from Davis:

http://www.espn.com/...tory?id=1562356
    Not to derail this thread regarding DL3 but here is a much better read on DL3 and his BIL.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/verdi_love0401
  • chigolfer1chigolfer1 Members Posts: 861 ✭✭
    edited Mar 5, 2019 6:46pm #33
    grm24 wrote:

chigolfer1 wrote:

Hopefully next week he can ask Davis Love about finding his brother in law dead in a hunting cabin after stealing millions from him? Season finale he can have Ken Green re-create the RV accident that killed his girlfriend?

I had to google the Davis Love thing. I wasn't sure if you were saying Davis was stealing from his bro-in-law or vice versa. For those that don't know, his bro-in-law was accused of stealing from Davis:

http://www.espn.com/...tory?id=1562356
    Not to derail this thread regarding DL3 but here is a much better read on DL3 and his BIL.

https://www.golfdige.../verdi_love0401

And to derail further, this is an excellent article on his father's plane crash. Very sad.

https://www.golfdige...w20081107fields
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,653 ✭✭
    Really good interview. Freddie comes across as more thoughtful and intense than the image he projects on the course. Pretty clearly his emotions occasionally overtake is desire to be cool, and it catches him by surprise.
  • youraway2youraway2 Just Old Sticks Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭
    I hadn't watched this show before, but this two-part interview was fantastic, and will watch it again. I liked the interview, but I fast forward through all the other portions.
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G-400 Max, 10.5, Xtorsion[/font]
    PXG, 15-degree, ACCRA
    PXG, 19-degree hybrid, ACCRA
    Cobra DWS Utility 19-degree
    CF-16, 4-PW, UST Recoil
    0311 PXG, 5-AW, i70 Areotech Steel-fiber
    SW, 56 PXG
    Ping Nickel Anser II
  • JShawJShaw Members Posts: 319 ✭✭
    Freddy for Ryder cup captain!
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,259 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:

Great thoughts of the specticle that is the Ryder Cup. Probably cost him the captaincy.

I agree with Freddie on that one. All those dinner and “Prom” pics is ridiculous. Just play golf.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,823 ✭✭
    Freddie is great on Feherty. Hard to believe he is a horse's a_s, but he is .... per the other thread where gents (notably RPIII) are sharing their experiences with him
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Diamana Blueboard 63x
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,641 ✭✭
    It was one of the better interviews.
  • dukemandukeman Members Posts: 871 ✭✭
    I missed it. Who came up with Boom Boom?
  • gators78gators78 ClubWRX Posts: 3,915 ClubWRX
    Fred has that reputation of being super relaxed and cool, but in person that's definitely not how I'd describe it. Granted it was Sunday of the event and he was near the lead, but I don't think he said a word to anyone else other than his caddy the entire day. Compare that with Kenny Perry, who was thanking every volunteer, joking with all the other players, and for the most part fairly loose, it was interesting.

Fred's swing is also even better in person, it's just so so so so so so pure.
    G400 Max
    M2 3W, Hybrid
    Arias
    SM7s
    Sigma 2, Tyne 4
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462 Members Posts: 5,332 ✭✭
    I thought it was pretty good....Always been a Freddie fan and watching Feherty he comes across as a good guy. But the stories that have been told about interactions with him are not pretty.
    SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462 Members Posts: 5,332 ✭✭
    cardoustie wrote:

Freddie is great on Feherty. Hard to believe he is a horse's a_s, but he is .... per the other thread where gents (notably RPIII) are sharing their experiences with him

Which thread?
    SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • jonfleshjonflesh Members Posts: 270 ✭✭
    I know there is a ton of stories about him being a jerk to people and I don’t think the people telling the stories are lying but on my one interaction with couples he could not have been nicer.
    dukeman wrote:

I always thought it legendary swing coach, E. Fritz Roberts, but apparently it was Gary McCord.
  • golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJMembers Posts: 1,671 ✭✭
    Freddy is a jerk?

Sorry, don't see it.

If Freddy is a horses a$$ than what does that make Tiger?

So he doesn't like to press the flesh and kiss babies while he's playing on a Sunday in a tournament that he could win? Big deal. Golf is a selfish game.

Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

• Night trainNight train Members Posts: 2,821 ✭✭
    Freddie is a huge draw on the Champions Tour..........when the host pro at the club says he hopes he doesn’t return.......that says a lot.
  • AmazinBlueAmazinBlue Members Posts: 1,104 ✭✭

I'm a big fan of Freddie. Really enjoyed Part 1 last night.

I really liked the golf shirt he was wearing. Does anyone know what brand it was? It looked perfect to wear to the office in the summer.
    Freddy has a lifetime clothing contract with Ashworth. Hw has always worn classy shirts from them.
    Ping G400 Max 9* - 8* Tour 65 S 44.5"
    Ping G400 14.5* Tour 75 Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX LZ 75g Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
    Taylormade P770 5-PW Nippon Modus3 120 S
    Vokey SM6 48* F Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM7 58*/14* D Grind Tour Chrome
    TM Tour Spider Black 34.25" 2* flat 2x 14g weight
    Callaway ERC Soft
  • AmazinBlueAmazinBlue Members Posts: 1,104 ✭✭
    dukeman wrote:

According to Fred it was Gary McCord and someone else from a tournament they played together back in the day. Freddy hit a couple of incredible shots on some hole and McCord went Boom, Boom! and that was it. Great interview. He has been my favorite tour player since the mid '80s. I will agree that he can come off as not so friendly toward the crowd during tournament rounds. I followed him for many years at the Buick Open in Michigan and he was not interactive with the crowd. When he is playing he's pretty focused. Never seemed to be one to interact with crowd.
    Ping G400 Max 9* - 8* Tour 65 S 44.5"
    Ping G400 14.5* Tour 75 Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX LZ 75g Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
    Taylormade P770 5-PW Nippon Modus3 120 S
    Vokey SM6 48* F Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM7 58*/14* D Grind Tour Chrome
    TM Tour Spider Black 34.25" 2* flat 2x 14g weight
    Callaway ERC Soft
    AmazinBlue wrote:

I really liked the golf shirt he was wearing. Does anyone know what brand it was? It looked perfect to wear to the office in the summer.
    Freddy has a lifetime clothing contract with Ashworth. Hw has always worn classy shirts from them.
    AmazinBlue wrote:

Lifetime Contract?

Fred and several other golfers (with an appetite for stock incentives) made Ashworth a brand. In 1987 Ashworth sales were less than $400K, forward to 1990 they were approaching $17M. Fred has a lifetime endorsement agreement, fueled by stock incentives. It's a sweet deal, actually. There is no actual contract to wear the clothing.
    AmazinBlue wrote:

Lifetime Contract?

Fred and several other golfers (with an appetite for stock incentives) made Ashworth a brand. In 1987 Ashworth sales were less than $400K, forward to 1990 they were approaching $17M. Fred has a lifetime endorsement agreement, fueled by stock incentives. It's a sweet deal, actually. There is no actual contract to wear the clothing.
  • Bogie_NightsBogie_Nights Members Posts: 2,256 ✭✭
    I thought he came across as very arrogant, pretty much the way some of Richard's stories portrayed him. Just my humble opinion...
  • jonfleshjonflesh Members Posts: 270 ✭✭
    Ferguson wrote:
    AmazinBlue wrote:

Lifetime Contract?

He’s wearing gfore now. He spoke about it on his radio show. After ashworth folded the gfore guy approached him and asked him to wear his gear.

I don’t know what he was wearing during the show though.
    Where are these stories about Couples. I tried a seach and didn't find anything.

I did find on reddit where someone said he glared at him because his phone rang while during a tournament. Or that he didn't yuck it up with the crowd when he was in contention for a tournament.

Neither of these sound like what's being purported here though.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • Bad9Bad9 Members Posts: 4,215 ✭✭
    When we saw him in person my wife thought he came off like a preening jerk. I concur.
    Ping G400 10.5°/Xcaliber SL r flex
    Callaway Heavenwood Xcaliber SL r flex
    Maltby KE4 Tour 25°/Xcaliber HY r flex

Maltby KE4 Tour 28°/Xcaliber HY r flex
    Ping I200 5-G/CFS70 r flex
    Maltby Tricept 54°/Xcaliber r flex
    Maltby Tricept 58°/Xcaliber r flex
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,272 ✭✭
    I know of a couple instances. One time he hit a nice shot that got a terrible bounce and rolled off the green. Guy said “nice shot Freddie” and was being sincere. Freddie said in a smarta** tone “never ascertain the result of a shot until the ball comes to rest”. Guy was like F you. Another time was after a round he was signing autographs and a woman said something to the effect of how handsome he was. Freddie said “it’s people like you that make doing this so difficult”. Just kinda douchey imo. I got his autograph even though it’s not really legible. Wish I hadn’t because I got Tiger’s too and would probably be worth something without Freddie’s scribble on it.

I thought he came across as very arrogant, pretty much the way some of Richard's stories portrayed him. Just my humble opinion...

Most are arrogant. It's what makes them great.

and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:

BiggErn wrote:

I know of a couple instances. One time he hit a nice shot that got a terrible bounce and rolled off the green. Guy said “nice shot Freddie” and was being sincere. Freddie said in a smarta** tone “never ascertain the result of a shot until the ball comes to rest”. Guy was like F you. Another time was after a round he was signing autographs and a woman said something to the effect of how handsome he was. Freddie said “it’s people like you that make doing this so difficult”. Just kinda douchey imo. I got his autograph even though it’s not really legible. Wish I hadn’t because I got Tiger’s too and would probably be worth something without Freddie’s scribble on it.

The guy who said that sounds like the guy who says "good ball" the second it leaves the club on every shot. Drives me crazy. I hit a 40-yard slice "Good ball!" No No it isn't...

WITTB:

1995 Ryder Cup - US lost.

I lived in Rochester at the time and went to this event as a guest of member at Oak Hill.

Played it a bunch of times. I miss the food and golf in Rochester. Nice track.

Anyway, we were walking to the corporate tent for my friend's company when LaCava, Couples and Pavin cut through a group fans about 15 feet from us. After they passed that group of people and as they walked by us, Pavin mutters, "why do they make us walk with the dregs of society?" Fred just laughed and said, "that's what you get for free tix." I expected that from Pavin, not Fred.

And then they put that clown in the HOF for one major?

I truly believe none of them (except Arnie, RIP) cares/cared for the fans. It's an act.

Personally I don't care how pro golfers feel about fans, but my experience is congruent with some of the comments about Fred.

BiggErn wrote:

The guy who said that sounds like the guy who says "good ball" the second it leaves the club on every shot. Drives me crazy. I hit a 40-yard slice "Good ball!" No No it isn't...

Exactly. And I’m pretty sure Freddy has never used the word “ascertain”.
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,382 ✭✭
    edited Mar 6, 2019 11:11pm #61
    jonflesh wrote:

Ferguson wrote:
    AmazinBlue wrote:

Lifetime Contract?

He’s wearing gfore now. He spoke about it on his radio show. After ashworth folded the gfore guy approached him and asked him to wear his gear.

I don’t know what he was wearing during the show though.
    Ashworth folded? When? They're still being sold today. They were bought by TM Adidas back in 2008 but are still a brand in business.

Edit, I take it back. As my wife would say...I was wrong. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> It's too bad because because it was one of my favorite brands.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!