2019 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play

 Darth Putter ·  
Darth PutterDarth Putter  5841WRX Points: 2,623Handicap: 10.8Members Posts: 5,841 Titanium Tees
Joined:  in Tour Talk #1

It's time for one of my favorite events of the year.

Course: Austin Country Club 7108 yards par 71
550 Fed Ex Cup points at stake
Purse: $10,250,000
Defending Champion: Bubba Watson

Field: 64 of the world's top 66 are committed at this time. Only Rickie Fowler and Adam Scott are missing.

The top 16 will be placed into brackets and the other 48 will be drawn in on Monday night to form the pods.

OWGR guru Nosferatu has the OWGR projected for tomorrow and here's how the draw should stand.

Imagine a Tiger/ Phil/ Stenson/ Furyk pod

If all the top seeds were to advance, here is the bracket:

1 Dustin Johnson

16 Patrick Reed

8 Jon Rahm

9 Xander Schauffele

4 Rory McIlroy

13 Tiger Woods

5 Justin Thomas

12 Jason Day

2 Justin Rose

15 Bubba Watson

7 Francesco Molinari

10 Paul Casey

3 Brooks Koepka

14 Tony Finau

6 Bryson DeChambeau

11 Tommy Fleetwood

Posted:
swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
«13456763
63

Comments

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan  10305WRX Points: 558Handicap: 12Members Posts: 10,305 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #3

    love the purse. #7 for the win and thank you Dell technologies for your sponsorship

    Posted:
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P stnd. cord
    Mizuno T 7 52 T 20 56 &60
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
    Eureka Ca. 
  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & Houston 2628WRX Points: 275Members Posts: 2,628 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #4

    I am still in two minds whether to go and watch on Wednesday. Price and three hour drive with the whole day by myself vs watching it on TV.
    I love the course, still the best inland course I have ever played.

    Posted:
    • Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
  • Broessner71Broessner71  106WRX Points: 35Handicap: 8Members Posts: 106 Fairways
    Joined:  #5

    Can’t wait always a good tournament to follow

    Posted:
  • golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJ 1882WRX Points: 357Handicap: 16.4Members Posts: 1,882 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #6

    I'm still bummed the forum is broke.

    Sorry wrong thread ..

    Posted:

    Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

  • bscinstnctbscinstnct  28243WRX Points: 4,612Members Posts: 28,243 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #7


    (Need sunglasses to come out here ; )

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CA 6026WRX Points: 1,702Handicap: 2.7Members Posts: 6,026 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #8

    ir gato grande

    Posted:
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, Scotland 3200WRX Points: 1,059Members Posts: 3,200 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #9

    Not surprised Adam Scott isn't teeing up but a little surprised there is no Rickie.

    Normally I'm not a big fan of matchplay events, apart from the team events, but this venue is one I really enjoy.

    Posted:
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • agolf1agolf1  1844WRX Points: 1,034Members Posts: 1,844 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #10

    How about Spieth to get back on track here? He's been making a lot of birdies, but the blow-up holes are costing him. With a lost hole = a lost hole in this format (regardless of how bad), maybe he can do OK here?

    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, Scotland 3200WRX Points: 1,059Members Posts: 3,200 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #11

    On -, @agolf1 said:

    How about Spieth to get back on track here? He's been making a lot of birdies, but the blow-up holes are costing him. With a lost hole = a lost hole in this format (regardless of how bad), maybe he can do OK here?

    I definitely see an argument that it might free him up a little but I think a win would be unlikely.

    Posted:
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • tideridertiderider  2805WRX Points: 1,842Handicap: 5ishMembers Posts: 2,805 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Mar 25, 2019 #12

    could def see spieth making a deep run ... he does make a ton of birdies ... his usual 2 doubles a round won't be a drop in the bucket compared to stroke play ... 29th in birdie avg ... NOT 29th in birdie/bogey ratio ...

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • i*windowsi*windows  2263WRX Points: 230Handicap: 12.3Members Posts: 2,263 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #13

    Looking forward to another European win :-)

    Posted:
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Just hit the **** ball.[/font]
    TM R1
    Adams Tight lies 2 5w
    Cleveland Mashie 5h
    Nike Covert Forged 2, 6-PW
    Lynx Prowler VT 5-PW
    Cleveland 588 Tour Action 51*
    MD Golf Seve Sedona 58*
    Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini.
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984  5807WRX Points: 1,252Handicap: 3Members Posts: 5,807 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #14

    When is the draw for the groups made?

    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • CircleC29CircleC29  831WRX Points: 228Members Posts: 831 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #15

    On -, @MattyO1984 said:

    When is the draw for the groups made?

    Today at 5 eastern time on GC.

    Posted:
    Contents of bag subject to change.
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984  5807WRX Points: 1,252Handicap: 3Members Posts: 5,807 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #16

    On -, @CircleC29 said:

    On -, @MattyO1984 said:

    When is the draw for the groups made?

    Today at 5 eastern time on GC.

    Thanks for that!

    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • agolf1agolf1  1844WRX Points: 1,034Members Posts: 1,844 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #17

    On -, @OldTomMorris said:

    On -, @agolf1 said:

    How about Spieth to get back on track here? He's been making a lot of birdies, but the blow-up holes are costing him. With a lost hole = a lost hole in this format (regardless of how bad), maybe he can do OK here?

    I definitely see an argument that it might free him up a little but I think a win would be unlikely.

    Yeah, to win he's going to need to play much much better than he has been. I was just wondering if the format could allow him to have a decent run (get out of the group/pool rounds, maybe win a match or two) playing at or slightly better than how he's been. Mainly, the guy's got to get back on track (or at least headed in the right direction) somehow, somewhere. So maybe here vs. a typical tournament where 2 or 3 bad holes completely takes him out of it?

    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • EricWGolfEricWGolf  725WRX Points: 416Members Posts: 725 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #18

    On -, @OldTomMorris said:

    Not surprised Adam Scott isn't teeing up but a little surprised there is no Rickie.

    Rickie hasn’t played in the Match Play since 2016.

    Posted:
  • NaBUru38NaBUru38  808WRX Points: 63Members Posts: 808 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #19

    There's no players from Netherlands (Joost Luiten is 66th), Canada (Adam Hadwin is 70th), New Zealand (Ryan Fox is 75th) or France (Alexander Levy is 101st).

    Posted:
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan  10305WRX Points: 558Handicap: 12Members Posts: 10,305 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #20

    On -, @golfer07840 said:

    I'm still bummed the forum is broke.

    Sorry wrong thread ..

    adapt...improvise ... overcome

    Posted:
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P stnd. cord
    Mizuno T 7 52 T 20 56 &60
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
    Eureka Ca. 
  • MaximilianMaximilian  1487WRX Points: 278Members Posts: 1,487 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #21

    I'm really looking forward to this week! one of my favourite tournaments all year. :)

    Posted:
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy...  13136WRX Points: 998Handicap: 3.8Members Posts: 13,136 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #22

    On -, @agolf1 said:

    How about Spieth to get back on track here? He's been making a lot of birdies, but the blow-up holes are costing him. With a lost hole = a lost hole in this format (regardless of how bad), maybe he can do OK here?

    YJS, the match play specialist... :D

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • mci711mci711 Chicago 1439WRX Points: 428Members Posts: 1,439 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Mar 25, 2019 #23

    This is a top 3 viewing week of the season for me. US Open, Open Championship then Match Play. Yes over the Masters, which has one of the worst telecast of any tournament of the year. Love match play though, wish there was more (end the playoffs with it!). Enjoy the course as well. All around awesome event.

    Posted:
  • flushemflushem  1930WRX Points: 358Handicap: 11.5Members Posts: 1,930 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #24
    Posted:
  • MilkyButterCutsMilkyButterCuts  950WRX Points: 437Handicap: 4.1Members Posts: 950 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #25

    When does coverage start. Wednesday?

    Posted:
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CA 6026WRX Points: 1,702Handicap: 2.7Members Posts: 6,026 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Mar 25, 2019 #26

    On -, @mci711 said:

    This is a top 3 viewing week of the season for me. US Open, Open Championship then Match Play. Yes over the Masters, which has one of the worst telecast of any tournament of the year. Love match play though, wish there was more (end the playoffs with it!). Enjoy the course as well. All around awesome event.

    Curious, what don't you like about The Masters telecast? I'm not defending it, nor do I think it's perfect, just curious on your thoughts.

    Posted:
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • mci711mci711 Chicago 1439WRX Points: 428Members Posts: 1,439 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #27

    On -, @ebrasmus21 said:

    On -, @mci711 said:

    This is a top 3 viewing week of the season for me. US Open, Open Championship then Match Play. Yes over the Masters, which has one of the worst telecast of any tournament of the year. Love match play though, wish there was more (end the playoffs with it!). Enjoy the course as well. All around awesome event.

    Curious, what don't you like about The Masters telecast? I'm not defending it, nor do I think it's perfect, just curious on your thoughts.

    I hate that it is extremely limited coverage. I get why it is done and the "tradition" nonsense. But to not have golf until 3pm for a major in 2019 is absurd. I love the Masters and it is probably the most coveted golf tournament to win, but for viewing it is the worst. It has less coverage than any other major by a long shot. They should try to be less pompous and do what the US Open does. #GrowTheGame

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSM 1540WRX Points: 294Members Posts: 1,540 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #28

    This is absolutely one of my favorite events of the year, in large part because I love matchplay.

    As others mentioned, it will be interesting to see if JS can make a little run and build some confidence with this given he is making a ton of birdies and the really bad doesn't really end up as bad with matchplay, typically.

    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

    The bag is always a work in progress.
  • mci711mci711 Chicago 1439WRX Points: 428Members Posts: 1,439 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #30

    On -, @MilkyButterCuts said:

    On -, @mci711 said:

    On -, @ebrasmus21 said:

    On -, @mci711 said:

    This is a top 3 viewing week of the season for me. US Open, Open Championship then Match Play. Yes over the Masters, which has one of the worst telecast of any tournament of the year. Love match play though, wish there was more (end the playoffs with it!). Enjoy the course as well. All around awesome event.

    Curious, what don't you like about The Masters telecast? I'm not defending it, nor do I think it's perfect, just curious on your thoughts.

    I hate that it is extremely limited coverage. I get why it is done and the "tradition" nonsense. But to not have golf until 3pm for a major in 2019 is absurd. I love the Masters and it is probably the most coveted golf tournament to win, but for viewing it is the worst. It has less coverage than any other major by a long shot. They should try to be less pompous and do what the US Open does. #GrowTheGame

    Hahaha. Ever heard of https://www.masters.com ?

    Yea....because being able to watch a group and a couple selected holes is in any way comparable to actual coverage...?

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • EricWGolfEricWGolf  725WRX Points: 416Members Posts: 725 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #31

    Tiger Tiger Woods y’all

    Posted:
63

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.