Experience with pinky problems? - Interlock grip

I was wondering if anyone had any pinky problems from the interlock grip? I did break my pinky many years ago and I remember the middle knuckle was always a bit bigger and the pinky had a slightly different bend to it after that middle knuckle. I can't remember but I think it did break at the knuckle but unsure. As of late, my knuckle is bigger on the inside more so than before and I am experiencing pain that is worse than I have in the past.

Anyways, in the past I have experienced some pain occasionally especially early in the golf season or after pounding balls at the range, but it was never a big deal and I never noticed anything abnormal. As of late it has turned into more of a problem to the point where I can't golf right now and I am going to switch to the Vardon or 10 finger grip. My right pinky middle knuckle is larger and sticks out on the inside quite a bit more than the left side. Even though it does look a bit swollen, the bump around the knuckle is hard. I have a dull pain when not playing and a pretty bad pain when playing.

Has anyone experienced this? Am I likely to have Osteoarthritis or is my bigger knuckle potentially from the break with some additional swelling from the recent play (started around 3 weeks ago and has gotten worse every time I play - twice a week). Has anyone had a bigger knuckle that is hard and actually reduce in size? I'm 28 years old and have only been playing golf for 5 years, about 1-2 times a week on course and 1-2 buckets of balls on the range a week during warm months. I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this and what the result was. I will probably go to the doctors but it would be nice to hear some accounts.

Thanks!

Comments

• golfwbgolfwb Members Posts: 589 ✭✭

I broke mine too and I also have a lingering pain when I play alot/ hit range balls. I would suggest easing your way into the season. Jumping out of the gate and hitting a lot of range balls and playing is an almost guarantee that something is going to hurt/ache. I have to concentrate on not strangling the club too because you can really put some pressure on that right pinky with the left pointer finger. Like you said, I played overlap for a summer a few years ago and it eliminates some of the pain.

Ping G400 Max Evenflow Black 65 6.5
    TM M1 3hl 17* AD-DJ 7X
    TM UDI 18* Attis International Proto MK 85X
    Titleist 712U 22* Nippon Modus 3 120S
    Srixon 745 5-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
    Titleist SM5 50,54,59 S200
    TM Rossa Daytona (2007)
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,372 ✭✭

It always caused me pain to interlock. For whatever reason my hands just can't do it. I've been overlap for as long as I've been golfing.

Cobra F8+ 8.0 w/Aldila NV65 2kxV
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Steelhead XR 18 w/S300
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,273 ✭✭

I was exclusively an interlock player from 11yrs old until I was about 25. And then overnight, I just couldn't interlock anymore. It was really that quickly. One day no issues, the next, just couldn't interlock. It's like my fingers just changed overnight and it hurt to interlock. So I started overlapping instead.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,387 ✭✭

I broke both my pinkies playing basketball and never got them set, and the knuckles are large and gnarly ... I think it actually helps with the interlock. But I'm fortunate that I don't have any pain with mine.

Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Sun Mountain Swift X
  • playmuchplaymuch Members Posts: 967 ✭✭

I have been playing overlap for ever and about a month ago went interlock for no other reason than to try it. Reakky liked it but my pinky is killing me. So much so, that I actually think I will get arthritis if I keep playing with interlock

• MooJerseyMooJersey Members Posts: 443 ✭✭

I tried interlock for a while but ultimately it hurt my hands. Yes especially the pinky. Got banged around too much. I've been a vardon / overlap guy and haven't looked back.

Cobra F8+ Driver - EvenFlow Blue
    TEE EX10 Beta 3W - HZRDUS Red
    Cobra F8 3H, 4H, 5H (stock Aldila Rogue)
    Titleist 718 AP2 6-PW, AMT Black
    Vokey SM7 50-12F
    Vokey SM7 56-14F
    Odyssey Works 2-Ball
  • clp34vmpclp34vmp Cancel that mead Members Posts: 247 ✭✭

I've interlocked my whole life and in the last couple of years I've started to notice pain in both my right pinky and now the right ring finger as well. I've tried out the overlap from time to time but it just feels so weird to me. Hoping the pain will subside, because interlock is the only way I feel comfortable hitting the ball.

• Drewmiller07Drewmiller07 Members Posts: 158 ✭✭

Mine stay sore. I’ve just come to terms with it.

• CwingCwing #TaylorMade TwistFace Experience 2018 Go Big Blue!!! 8x Champs. Who Dey !!! Go Bengals,Members Posts: 8,052 ✭✭

Nothing to do with golf as I tore my right pinky up 2x. Once in high school football and the second catching a football with my son. Surgery was required for each. After the last one, I switched to an overlap. It took awhile but I think it would be hard to go back to interlock at this point.

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G25 5-U (coming soon = G410)
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,445 ClubWRX

Mine really hurt(pinky) after a round of golf and I may have to switch soon.

GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • halliedoghalliedog Members Posts: 2,353 ✭✭

The best ever, and then even Tiger use the interlock, so that's good enough for me! You guys just aren't doing it right, or are putting a death-grip on the club.

There, I've thrown it out there, now let's see this thread get to 14 pages real quick!

WITB:
    Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
    Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
    TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
    TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
    TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank
  • fox10078fox10078 Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

I used to interlock until I messed up the knuckle a bit and now it's very difficult to interlock

Driver: Callaway Rogue (PROJECT X HZRDUS Yellow :) )
    Woods: Callaway Steelhead XR 3 Strong
    Hybrid: Callaway XR 
    Irons: 5 - 9 Callaway X forged
    Wedge: 46 Degree Mack Daddy 4
    Wedge: 50 Degree Mack Daddy 3
    Wedge: 56 Degree PM Grind
    Wedge: 60 Degree PM Grind
    Putter: Scotty Camera California Hollywood
  • haroleaseharolease Members Posts: 612 ✭✭

Best part of the interlock I find as opposed to overlap or ten fingered is that my left thumb and index finger gets to tight sometimes supporting the shaft and I don’t really need to do that
    I can most shots with the base of my left thumb supporting the shaft with interlock

• BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,674 ✭✭

I like interlock. On a related note. My left pinkee wanted to blister up but didn’t . Man that’s a win.

• JkinluvJkinluv Members Posts: 30 ✭✭

I interlock with no pain. Loose grip.

• Ri_RedneckRi_Redneck Leather for Life!! Members Posts: 5,448 ✭✭

I would definitely recommend trying the overlap/Vardon grip. Pain is going to cause problems forever.

BT

Bag 1
    F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
    King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
    King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
    Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
    Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge

Bag 2
    Mizuno ST180 9.5* - Diamana Kai'Li 70 X
    Mizuno GPX850 14.5* - Motore Speeder TS 7.3 S
    Mizuno GPX850 20* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3
    Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
    Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
  • Redjeep83Redjeep83 Members Posts: 5,137 ✭✭

I started golfing around 96-97 when Tiger came on the scene and I modeled my grip after him, from golf digest magazines. Few years later ran into some knuckle pain on my pinky and switched to overlap ever since

• GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,142 ✭✭

Been interlock for more than 20 years and no issues

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,716 ClubWRX

Switched from overlap to interlock maybe almost 10 years ago or so. Now it feels natural, don't know how I did without it.

I learned overlap as a kid from my dad, experimented with and rejected interlock when I read Golf My Way for the first time, and ended up interlocking because of an issue I came to realize was more about my grip size/needing some wraps more than the grip itself. But, liked it and stuck with it.

Do what works, but if it hurts - get what is hurting you figured out and do what you need to do to make it go away or at least be as good as it can get.

• TLUBulldogGolfTLUBulldogGolf Sasquatch Houston, TXMembers Posts: 2,419 ✭✭

I have interlocked since learning as a kid and didn't run into issues until hitting on a weed filled driving range. I must have caught something at impact but I had to stop playing for several months from the pain. A steroid shot and some rehab got it feeling better, I still get tendinitis from time to time but I take Aleve and try to do grip exercises targeting my last two fingers, which has seemed to keep it at bay.

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
    Titleist 917 F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White 100-TX
    Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black 54* S Grind PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black 60* M Grind X100
    Odyssey Works #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT
  • dlamdlam Members Posts: 2,006 ✭✭

I broken both pinkies and have no problems with interlock. Interesting, overlap cause more painful where I broken my hand. The way I overlap I tend to overuse the fine muscles of my hand With the interlock I use more of my “bigger “ core muscles and hand are are essentially passive and tighten with the velocity of the swing Overlap works for a lots of players. For this cowboy , it’s not consistent for a full swing
    Also I used a lot different types of grips but I think it messes with the rhythm. Stick to one primary grip

• macedanmacedan Members Posts: 217 ✭✭

While I do still play interlock, there was a period of about 6 months after I started routinely playing twice a week where I would wake up in the morning and my pinkies would be locked at an angle and it would take a decent amount of force to straighten them again, they would kind of stick for a few hours afterwards. But, another year in I have no problems, it came on as suddenly as it vanished.

Ping G400 10*
    Mizuno ST180 3W 15*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 5W 18*
    Ping G Crossover 21*
    Taylormade Rocketbladez (5-PW)
    Cleveland CBX 50/11
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54/10
    Cleveland RTX-3 58/9
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Taylormade RBZ Urethane | Project A
    Bag: Taylormade Flextech Lite Black/Green
  • vinprun71vinprun71 ConnecticutMembers Posts: 74 ✭✭

I personally moved to an overlap grip because of pinky pain from an interlocking grip. I'm sure it was because of me squeezing too hard at impact. It didn't take long to get comfortable with the new grip and performance didn't dip.

TaylorMade R15 460cc (10.5)
    Callaway FT 3 Wood (15)
    Cobra F9 Speedback (18.5 & 21.5)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 5-GW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 56-F
    Titleist Vokey SM7 60-S
    Ping Karsten Anser
  • GLF4EVRGLF4EVR Members Posts: 793 ✭✭

60 years old...osteoarthritis...1200mg ibuprofen daily. Way too many hand injuries to list. Have always had interlocking grip, but lucky I guess because it does not bother the hands. The purpose of golf is enjoyment. If current grip is causing pain...I would be trying 10 finger or overlapping. Of course there will be a "learning curve" with the change, but better to be playing pain free. For seeing a doctor you might want to consider an orthopedic or rheumatologist.

• GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Members Posts: 1,003 ✭✭

Interlock is not for me. After a while it hurts some fingers. Overlap is much better and stress free. I don't see a need to stress my fingers any more than I need. Try to minimize any possibility of them getting in the way of me golfing lol.

TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
  • FlashinLeatherFlashinLeather Members Posts: 84 ✭✭

Interlock since I was a kid (31 years old). I had to switch to overlap about 8 months ago because my finger would be swollen and in pain for a week after a round.

Ping G400 LST 10 - Ping Tour X
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Stiff
    Titleist 718 T-MB - 2i - X100
    TaylorMade P790 - 4i-AW - X100
    Vokey - 54, 58
    Bettinardi - QB6
    Titleist Pro V1
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,853 ✭✭

I switched from interlock to overlap after a farm accident, intending it to be a temporary patch, but then the interlock felt so awkward that I stayed with overlap.

• vmanvman Members Posts: 1,228 ✭✭

I interlocked from the age of 11 to 49. I started to develop pain in the right pinkie after 38 years of interlocking and could no longer play with it. Switched to the Vardon and, wow, pain gone. It did take me nearly a year though to become totally comfortable with the change.

CALLAWAY EPIC SUB ZERO 10.5*
    CALLAWAY X2 HOT 3 DEEP 14.5*
    ADAMS PRO MINI 18*
    CALLAWAY APEX 4-A
    CALLAWAY MD4 RAW 52* 58*
    ODYSSEY TUTTLE FLOW 35"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file