Set Gap Wedge vs Specialist gap wedge (like Vokey, etc)

2»

Comments

  • Lancj1Lancj1 Members Posts: 910 ✭✭

    Ive always said set gap wedge. I am using my gap wedge more and more for creative shots and I'm finding the sole of the G410 is a bit cumbersome. Since my gapping I have found a couple of clubs I can drop anyway, so I am keeping the 410 U wedge and I am going to get a 50 ish vokey too....just researching the grinds

    G 410 plus Driver, Alta Reg
    G400 3 & 5 Woods Alta CB Reg
    G400 2,3,4,5 Hybrids Alta CB Reg
    G410 Irons, 6-U, Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Glide Stealth 54 (SS), 58 (WS) & 60 (TS) Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Taylor Made Tour Spider Platinum (Pistol 2.0 grip)

    Ball addict

    Disclaimer*

    I'm a handicap golfer in my 50's. Any opinions I have about golf equipment or professional golfers or the game in general should be taken as seriously as you would the opinions of a random guy in the fourball ahead of you who just shot 92 but is usually better than that.
  • jakeecsjjakeecsj Members Posts: 20 ✭✭

    I count 16-17 clubs. Did I miss something?

  • jgolf215jgolf215 JT Members Posts: 309 ✭✭

    I was playing Adams a12Pro Black Irons a few years back in which I played the PW & GW from the set. They were more traditionally lofted than the irons I use now, which are not lofted too strong. PW is 45*. My iron set is 5 - PW. I've been playing a MD3 50/10 gap wedge and quite like it. I recently got a good deal on a new MD3 46/8 to try out as the PW. My only concern was a drop off in distance. I'm pleased to say, as far as I can see my carry distance is the same. It's a degree weaker, but the CG is higher which balances it out. I'm seeing additioal spin and like the turf interaction better. And a bonus is its a little more nimble for shots around the green.

    Callaway Rogue 9* (+1) Fubuki J 50
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3wd Fubuki Ax f65
    Callaway XR16 19* 5wd Fubuki Ax f75
    Callaway Apex 20* & 23* KuroKage Black 80HY
    Callaway Apex UT 24* KBS Tour V
    Callaway XR Pro 5-9 KBS Tour V
    Callaway MD3 46*/8* & 50-/10* 
    Callaway MD Forged 54*/10* & 58*/08* or MD PM grind 58*/10*
    Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 SS Traxion Flatso 1.0 or
    Odyssey ProType #2 Nippon XXIP B2 w Iomic Ax
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft
    Glove: UA Strikeskin Tour
    Shoe: UA

    XR16 19*/5 wood alternates w Apex 20* hybrid.
    Apex 23* alternates with Apex UT 24*
  • matchavezmatchavez Members Posts: 4,245 ✭✭
    edited Jul 12, 2019 3:08am #35

    Most set wedges are fairly similar, but when they’re not, they’re designed to improve “full shots”.

    That said, the most overlooked reason for this choice will be whether or not you want to have your iron shaft or your wedge shaft in your 50º. Assuming you don’t play the same shaft (I do - I have S400 all the way from 5-iron to 58º, but that’s not that common...), this choice will have the most actual effect on what and how you play the club.

    14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

  • b.mattayb.mattay New WRX'er Members Posts: 501 ✭✭

    I go specialty GW and PW. Find that it produces more spin, which minimizes flyers from the rough.

    2017 Taylormade M1 (9.5 set to 8.25, Grafalloy Blue 65X, Z-Cord)

    2017 Taylormade M1 (15 set to 15.75, Grafalloy Blue 75X, Z-Cord)

    Sonartec GS Tour (18, Fujikura 370, Z-Cord)

    714 AP2 (4-9, X100, Z-Cord, 1 Degree Flat)

    SM6 (46.08F, 50.12F, 55.15F, 60.12V, S400, Z-Cord, 1 Degree Flat)

    Nike Method B-O2, P2 Tour, 34.5 inches
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,418 ✭✭

    I love my G410 U wedge but I can't ditch my Glide 58ES. I've always preferred set wedges down to gap.

    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

    Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

    Snell MTB Black
  • RacineBoxerRacineBoxer Members Posts: 848 ✭✭

    @clemsontiger1 said:
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of a gap wedge that matches your iron set vs a vokey type wedge? My Gap wedge needs to be replaces, and I am trying to figure out which direction to go in. I have P790 irons, and I never chip with my gap wedge. I only use it for full shots, and occasionally a little knock down 3/4 type shot. Trying to figure out what would be best for me to buy.

    A lot of people have already made the (excellent) point that if you just use it for full swings then matching it to your set is usually the best bet.

    One thing I'll add is that the type of irons you play, and probably how good you are, matters a bit too. For example, I play Ping G400 irons. The difference between a Ping G400 "U wedge" (approx 50 degrees) and a specialty wedge is huge! I had a 50* Glide wedge but keep the G400 U in the bag. But if you play blades, or even something compact like the AP2's, then the difference is a lot smaller. When the size/shape difference is smaller, and for the stronger player, it's easier (IMO) to take the specialty wedges a bit further into the bag (gap wedge or even 45-46 degree PW). It wouldn't hurt many weaker players to play set cavity back S and L wedges.

  • Chef23Chef23 Members Posts: 144 ✭✭

    If you only use it for full shots then I could see staying with the set. I tend to use the gap for more than full shots and like to have something a little smaller usually. Right now I have i200s with a Glide 2.0 50* wedge. I don't love the bounce on it though so it may be at risk. I need to spend a bit more time with it to see if I get more comfortable with it.

  • ago33ago33 Members Posts: 2,169 ✭✭

    50 degree speciality wedge.

    The ability to flight a wedge down and hit into back pins is critical for scoring.

    Cobra F9 Speedback 9.................................Mitsubishi PO 70 TX
    Tour Edge CBX 13.5.......................................Rombax P95 X
    Tour Edge CBX 18..........................................Rombax P95 X
    Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 4,5................................DGTIX100
    Mizuno MP-25 6-9........................................DGTIX100
    Callaway MD Forged 46, 50, 56, 60........DGTIS400
    Scotty Cameron 5.5M...................................Grip Master
  • dmptruckdmptruck Members Posts: 1

    I have used both. Go with the Vokey. Gap it from your PW. My PW is 43* (Apex 19). GW is Vokey 48*. Have the same shaft that's in your irons put into your GW. I play graphite in my irons now. (KBS Max 55) weighted to D4. With the steel shaft from Vokey, my gap yardage was a little short. Put the graphite in and gapped where it was suppose to be. Spins better than set GW which is the problem with most set wedges. Kept the steel in my SW and LW, but thinking I may change those also.

  • swizbeatzswizbeatz Members Posts: 5,640 ✭✭

    Went to an AP2 GW which is 50*, absolutely love it. Don’t chip with it, spins less on full swings, misses are much better.

    Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link
  • RobS14526RobS14526 Members Posts: 1,150 ✭✭

    @swizbeatz said:
    Went to an AP2 GW which is 50*, absolutely love it. Don’t chip with it, spins less on full swings, misses are much better.

    Same here. After years of using specialty wedges, the AP2 gap wedge has become a fixture in my bag even when I’m not playing my AP2’s.

  • DaveGoodrichDaveGoodrich SoCalMembers Posts: 1,020 ✭✭

    @matchavez said:
    Most set wedges are fairly similar, but when they’re not, they’re designed to improve “full shots”.

    That said, the most overlooked reason for this choice will be whether or not you want to have your iron shaft or your wedge shaft in your 50º. Assuming you don’t play the same shaft (I do - I have S400 all the way from 5-iron to 58º, but that’s not that common...), this choice will have the most actual effect on what and how you play the club.

    I also play the same shaft as my irons, all the way down through my highest lofted wedge, and maintain a consistent swingweight progression. I find this makes full shots with the specialty wedges feel "less different" from the short irons in the set. Regardless, launch conditions will be different with different head designs, so the lofts should be based on actual yardage gaps and the shots you need to hit, not by trying to maintain some uniform loft increment between wedges.

    Titleist 917D3 w/YS-6+
    Exotics EX-10 Beta 13* w/Aldila Rogue Max
    Titleist 909h 17*, 21* and 24* w/YS-hybrid
    Adams CB1 5-iron w/Aldila RIP Tour 115
    Adams Pro Black MB 6 - GW with w/Aldila RIP Tour 115 (5* loft gaps)
    Vokey SM6 58M w/Aldila RIP Tour 115
    Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5
  • tobiasjdtobiasjd Members Posts: 457 ✭✭

    @Lancj1 said:

    @danman44 said:

    @kiw1982 said:
    I think it depends on you game.
    I only use my gap wedge as an 'iron'.
    So, I use one from the set.

    this... Ive always had a vokey or cleveland gap wedge for 20+ years until this year when I got the i210s and got the U wedge.. much happier looking at the same design style on full shots and even a step further I went glide 2.0 for my 54 which also sets up the same. doubt Ill ever go with a speciality wedge again

    Isn't the glide a speciality wedge ... ?

    Technically yes. Unless you play iBlades like I do. Then the Glides are basically an extension of the exact same club.

    Cobra King LTD Black
    Titleist 910FD 15° 3w
    Titleist 917F2 18° 5w
    Callaway Apex 4h
    PING iBlade 5 - PW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 52°, 56° SS
    Titleist Vokey 60° K
    Bettinardi BB1
  • matchavezmatchavez Members Posts: 4,245 ✭✭
    edited Jul 13, 2019 2:02am #46

    @DaveGoodrich said:

    @matchavez said:
    Most set wedges are fairly similar, but when they’re not, they’re designed to improve “full shots”.

    That said, the most overlooked reason for this choice will be whether or not you want to have your iron shaft or your wedge shaft in your 50º. Assuming you don’t play the same shaft (I do - I have S400 all the way from 5-iron to 58º, but that’s not that common...), this choice will have the most actual effect on what and how you play the club.

    I also play the same shaft as my irons, all the way down through my highest lofted wedge, and maintain a consistent swingweight progression. I find this makes full shots with the specialty wedges feel "less different" from the short irons in the set. Regardless, launch conditions will be different with different head designs, so the lofts should be based on actual yardage gaps and the shots you need to hit, not by trying to maintain some uniform loft increment between wedges.

    I absolutely agree. But it is a little less so for just the gap wedge. Most players asking the question aren't looking at a 50 as a "mostly partial shot" club. As such, the real question is whether you want to match, since the choice of shaft is generally led by whether it's mostly full or mostly partial shots.

    You're dead on with the head shape and properties playing a majority of flight and spin characteristics. You especially notice this when you do have the same shaft all the way through! The thing is most people asking are going to have something like a OEM graphite in their PW and something like an s300 in their Sandy. At that point, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ya know?

    Post edited by matchavez on

    14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

  • nuttinbutapeanutnuttinbutapeanut Members Posts: 154 ✭✭

    I didn't read all the posts so apologies if this has been mentioned. I believe TXG did a video where they talked about wedges and if you hit full shots with a gap wedge it should match your set. If you play more partial shots it's fine to use a traditional wedge (50* vokey for example) for your set. For me my Pings have a matching gap wedge because it wasn't too expensive. My P790's the gap was ridiculously priced so I went with the TM milled 50.

  • swizbeatzswizbeatz Members Posts: 5,640 ✭✭

    @RobS14526 said:

    @swizbeatz said:
    Went to an AP2 GW which is 50*, absolutely love it. Don’t chip with it, spins less on full swings, misses are much better.

    Same here. After years of using specialty wedges, the AP2 gap wedge has become a fixture in my bag even when I’m not playing my AP2’s.

    I don’t even play AP2’s, just seemed like a good middle ground. One of my favorite clubs in the bag.

    Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link
  • mxskiermxskier Members Posts: 457 ✭✭

    Specialty wedge.

    Forgiveness with that amount of spin loft is virtually non-existent. Its the same forgiveness, but its all about turf interaction at that point. So, if the specialty wedge has the right swing weight, bounce, and grind, then go for that. But its more likely that the bounce will be better with a specialty wedge.

    Ping G400 LST Tour 65S
    Cobra F8+ 3W/5W VA Slay 75
    Callaway Apex Pro 19 3-PW Oban CT 115
    Vokey SM7 52/58 Oban CT 115
    TaylorMade Spider X
    Taylormade TP5
  • PitchnputtPitchnputt Members Posts: 16 ✭✭

    @RobS14526 said:

    @swizbeatz said:
    Went to an AP2 GW which is 50*, absolutely love it. Don’t chip with it, spins less on full swings, misses are much better.

    Same here. After years of using specialty wedges, the AP2 gap wedge has become a fixture in my bag even when I’m not playing my AP2’s.

    I changed to TM P790 irons from AP2's and kept my AP2 GW and love it for both full shots and even chips if I have room. Maybe my favorite iron in the bag.

  • JoelsimJoelsim Members Posts: 1,068 ✭✭

    @RacineBoxer said:

    @clemsontiger1 said:
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of a gap wedge that matches your iron set vs a vokey type wedge? My Gap wedge needs to be replaces, and I am trying to figure out which direction to go in. I have P790 irons, and I never chip with my gap wedge. I only use it for full shots, and occasionally a little knock down 3/4 type shot. Trying to figure out what would be best for me to buy.

    A lot of people have already made the (excellent) point that if you just use it for full swings then matching it to your set is usually the best bet.

    One thing I'll add is that the type of irons you play, and probably how good you are, matters a bit too. For example, I play Ping G400 irons. The difference between a Ping G400 "U wedge" (approx 50 degrees) and a specialty wedge is huge! I had a 50* Glide wedge but keep the G400 U in the bag. But if you play blades, or even something compact like the AP2's, then the difference is a lot smaller. When the size/shape difference is smaller, and for the stronger player, it's easier (IMO) to take the specialty wedges a bit further into the bag (gap wedge or even 45-46 degree PW). It wouldn't hurt many weaker players to play set cavity back S and L wedges.

    Agree with this. I had a 50* Glide 2.0 and there was a 30y gap between it and my PW (44.5). No such problem with the set UW at 49.5 which gaps to about 12-13y.

    Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    TaylorMade Original One Mini Driver 13.5 Regular Diamana F Ltd
    Ping G410 19 Hybrid Stiff Alta
    Titleist 818 H1 23 Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Ping G400 4-UW & G410 SW Regular Alta (#4 at power spec loft)
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 58 X and 64 S
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #3
    Bettinardi BB39
    Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #10
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback
  • mtiger10mtiger10 Members Posts: 223 ✭✭

    @RacineBoxer said:

    @clemsontiger1 said:
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of a gap wedge that matches your iron set vs a vokey type wedge? My Gap wedge needs to be replaces, and I am trying to figure out which direction to go in. I have P790 irons, and I never chip with my gap wedge. I only use it for full shots, and occasionally a little knock down 3/4 type shot. Trying to figure out what would be best for me to buy.

    A lot of people have already made the (excellent) point that if you just use it for full swings then matching it to your set is usually the best bet.

    One thing I'll add is that the type of irons you play, and probably how good you are, matters a bit too. For example, I play Ping G400 irons. The difference between a Ping G400 "U wedge" (approx 50 degrees) and a specialty wedge is huge! I had a 50* Glide wedge but keep the G400 U in the bag. But if you play blades, or even something compact like the AP2's, then the difference is a lot smaller. When the size/shape difference is smaller, and for the stronger player, it's easier (IMO) to take the specialty wedges a bit further into the bag (gap wedge or even 45-46 degree PW). It wouldn't hurt many weaker players to play set cavity back S and L wedges.

    I've tried a specialty gap wedge (older Ping 52*) but the cavity back gap wedge in my iron set seems a bit more forgiving especially on tight lies.

Sign In or Register to comment.