Is TXG the best golf channel on youtube?

theboyslatertheboyslater Members Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

This is purely my opinion, but I think these guys are the best and most informative channel out there for purchasing decisions. When testing new clubs, shafts etc they can clearly articulate what the pros and cons are and who it is suited too. I know Rick Shiels and Mark Crossfield have bigger channels, but I don't believe they touch on the more exotic shafts or use data as much as TXG. Ian has so much knowledge that he seems to very clearly articulate to the average and expert golfer. Agree or disagree?

Comments

• balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Crossfield is good. Objective and by no means says latest is greatest. Shiels seems like a nice guy to have a beer with but is a clickbait douche. TXG best info and fit shaping around.

Cobra F9 Speedback HZRDUS HC Black 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  HZRDUS HC Black 75g
    Titleist 816H1 20° Accra FX200H M4
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist 716 CB 5i-PW Project X LZ 6.0
    Vokey 52f 56f 60d Project X LZ 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"
    Pro V1

Currently - 6.9

• SMUGamerSMUGamer Members Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree, at least so far they are.....

• HappyGilmore22HappyGilmore22 Members Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

Informative but my goodness are their videos long and boring. If they would get them shorter and more to the point I would agree. Still make good videos and I watch but can't tell you how many times I've fallen asleep during them.

TaylorMade M5 9 deg - Fujikura Speeder Evolution I 757 TX
    Titleist TS3 15 deg - Project X Even Flow T1100 White 85 6.5
    Titleist 816 H2 19 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 90x
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW - TT DG X7
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black - 50.12 F, 54.10 S, 58.12 D - TT DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5
  • HappyGilmore22HappyGilmore22 Members Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

@GolfChannel said:

@HappyGilmore22 said:
    Informative but my goodness are their videos long and boring. If they would get them shorter and more to the point I would agree. Still make good videos and I watch but can't tell you how many times I've fallen asleep during them.

“To the point” sounds like a recipe for “click bait”. What makes TXG so revered is that they are thorough beyond reproach. I prefer the long videos because there is such a breadth of content which comes out in the process.

I think it’s crazier you think 20-30 minutes is long, we really are the ADHD society.

I just work and have a kid so don't choose to spend 30 minutes of one of my days watching their entire video. They can be just as thorough without any click bait keeping their content the exact same but in half the time.

TaylorMade M5 9 deg - Fujikura Speeder Evolution I 757 TX
    Titleist TS3 15 deg - Project X Even Flow T1100 White 85 6.5
    Titleist 816 H2 19 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 90x
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW - TT DG X7
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black - 50.12 F, 54.10 S, 58.12 D - TT DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@HappyGilmore22 said:

@GolfChannel said:

@HappyGilmore22 said:

“To the point” sounds like a recipe for “click bait”. What makes TXG so revered is that they are thorough beyond reproach. I prefer the long videos because there is such a breadth of content which comes out in the process.

I think it’s crazier you think 20-30 minutes is long, we really are the ADHD society.

I just work and have a kid so don't choose to spend 30 minutes of one of my days watching their entire video. They can be just as thorough without any click bait keeping their content the exact same but in half the time.

Meh, if you want Spark Notes, find a different source.

Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • cmagnussoncmagnusson Members Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭✭

TXG if I want to learn. Shiels if I want to be entertained.

Cobra BioCell+ 8.5*D, Aldila RIP'D NV 65TX at 44.75"
    Titleist 917F2 15*, Diamana Blueboard 73X
    Titleist 917F2 18*, Matrix Deus 60X
    Srixon Z U85 20*, DG-Pro X100
    TaylorMade RBladez 5i-PW, Stiff
    Tommy Armor 845 48* PW
    Cobra Trusty Rusty 53*, 59*, DG S200
    Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Arm-lock conversion at 7*, 42"
  • golftejasgolftejas Members Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 13, 2019 6:14pm #9

I like the data-based findings they provide in their videos, but they're not very concise (few are these days) and so the videos drag on. And of course all sites waste the first minute and the last minute of their video with the social media blather about liking their site

• BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

No.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • gdb99gdb99 Members Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I do like their videos. But I also think they are too long. You can’t possibly get caught up if you only log on to YouTube once a week.
    I also like Crossfield and SAS Golf.
    I really would like to do a full bag fitting with TXG.

Cobra King LTD, Diamana Redboard stiff flex
    Titleist 917F 16.5, Diamana Tensei Blue regular flex
    Cleveland DST 3 hybrid, Diamana Redboard regular flex 
    Titleist AP1, 5-PW, Dynalite XP R300
    Vokey SM7 52F
    Vokey SM7 56M
    Cleveland 588RTG 60
    Odyssey #2
  • baylorleftybaylorlefty Members Posts: 386 ✭✭✭✭

They are the best! I get dizzy following Crossfield and his numbers don’t suit the faster swingers. Shiels basically gives everything a thumbs up he hits and his club reviews have become far less frequent. TXG videos show a variety of players and most exotic equipment. As a lefty watching Matt is a bonus! Videos can be long but you can swipe through them to the good stuff.

• Kale_mKale_m Members Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@GolfChannel said:

@HappyGilmore22 said:

Crossfields videos are longer and there is more farting then anything in them. Not a fan

Ping g410 plus 8* 1 flat Fuji pro 2.0 Ts 6x
    Titleist TS3 16.5* evenflow white t1100 6.5 75g
    Ping g410 19* hybrid 
    Callaway Apex MB Raw TIX100
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Tm spider x 34” navy with true path alignment
  • m_wm_w Gearhead Members Posts: 286 ✭✭✭✭

@Kale_m said:

@GolfChannel said:

@HappyGilmore22 said:

Crossfields videos are longer and there is more farting then anything in them. Not a fan

You don’t ****?

• Red4282Red4282 Members Posts: 328 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 13, 2019 8:35pm #15

I enjoy all them honestly, crossfields course vlogs are very entertaining, but i dont care much for his wacky equipment experiments. His little short swing tips is alright too. Shiels is ok, he seems to be reaching for content at times(amazon driver comes to mind) Of all his videos i maybe watch 1 out every ten he puts out. Txg, is fairly new and some of their stuff is a bit long and monotone, but i bet in time it will get better. Crossfields stuff his first year or two was cringeworthy...but I can honestly say i am a better golfer because of their (txgs) scientific and data driven approach to equipment and the game
    I still think there is a good spot for an american youtuber to do some things...but none have really stuck.

• OrlandogolfguruOrlandogolfguru OrlandoGolfGuru ClubWRX Posts: 2,023 ClubWRX

txg videos are good, best on youtube? that is a stretch. there are so many great yt channels now, with excellent content. i do feel txg videos drag on a bit... not saying they have to be short, just want the content is good. but sometimes it does drag and turn into a snore session, like just talking to fill time. i find myself skipping to actual content. that said, i love their shaft knowledge and comparisons. i follow them on IG as well.

Taylormade M5 Driver
    TaylorMade M5 Fwy
    Mizuno CLK Hyb
    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged Irons
    Mizuno S18 Blue Ion Wedges
    SG TriSole Super Nickel Putter
    Bridgestone ball, Sun Mountain Bag
  • ian-500ian-500 Members Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really enjoy their content. May they continue.

Ping Rapture 12.5* + PWR75 ts.
    Ping G400 no.2 17* + Oban Kiyoshi White x.
    Titleist VG3 Forged '18 4i - PW + Recoil Proto 125 F5.
    Titleist Vokey Forged 50 + Recoil Proto 125 F5.
    Callaway PM19 54/58 + KBS Hi-Rev 115 2.0s.
    SeeMore SB1, Accra FX300.
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@HappyGilmore22 said:

@GolfChannel said:

@HappyGilmore22 said:

Their videos are under 30 minutes except for a few live events.

• Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@GolfChannel said:

@HappyGilmore22 said:

Didn’t have time to read all that, I’ll assume you just agreed

Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • ORTORT Members Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

They are by far my favorite to watch. Very informative and really break it down to the n’th degree. Crossfield bores me to tears.

• CincyJCKCincyJCK Members Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

I’m a fan as well. Informative, and I never get the feel that they are pushing a specific manufacturer or ideology.

915 D3
    TM 300 Tour 15*
    Nike VR Pro 18*
    Titleist 690.MB 3-9 or Ping G25 4-PW
    Vokey SM4 48, Cobra Tour Trusty 54, Vokey SM5 58
    Ping Zing2
  • SUPERGSUPERG Members Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

Yep

M5 - 10.5* HZRDUS HC Yellow 76 6.5
    M4 3HL - Atmos Tour Spec Blue 8X
    M3 HYB - HZRDUZ HC Black 105 6.5
    P790 4-PW PX 6.0
    SM7 - DG S400 50* 54* 60*
    Spider X

• BirdieBobBirdieBob PXG Members Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 13, 2019 11:38pm #23

I prefer Michael Newton Golf on YouTube for purchase decisions and Eric Cogorno Gojf for swing tips.

WITB....GOLF EQUIPMENT MATTERS
    PXG 0811X Gen2, 9.0* (9.0), JDM Limited Edition 2016 Basileus AAA 60X
    PXG 0341X Gen2, 13
    (14.0), Tensei Pro Blue 70TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2, 18
    (17.0), Tensei Pro White 80TX
    PXG 0317X Gen2, 17
    (17.0), Tensei Pro White HY 100X
    PXG 0317X Gen2, 19
    (20.0), Tensei Pro White HY 100X
    PXG 0311X Gen2, Extreme Dark, #4 & #5 DI, DG TI AMT x100 LE ONYX
    PXG 0311P Gen2, Extreme Dark, 6 - P Irons, DG TI AMT x100 LE ONYX
    PXG 0311T 50
    Milled Sugar Daddy Extreme Dark, DG TI AMT x100 LE ONYX
    PXG 0311T 55* & 60* Milled Darkness Wedges, DG TI s400 ONYX
    SCOTTY Cameron Custom "Murdered Out" Select Newport M2 Putter, w/SC Black CircleT HC
    PXG Limited Edition Darkness Hybrid Stand Bag
    PXG Limited Edition Darkness Umbrella
    STEWART Golf X9 FOLLOW Electric Cart, Darkness model

• dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX Posts: 1,871 ClubWRX
    edited Jul 14, 2019 12:19am #24

@GolfChannel said:

@HappyGilmore22 said:

Not when they can cover the same thing in 15 min. Too much yap, yap, yap about the same thing. Any topic they cover can be done in 15 min.

Post edited by dbdors on

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6, stiff: TM M5, 13*, Diamana Thump 75, stiff
    Hybrids: TEE CBX 3H (20d), 4H (22d), Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 85 6.0
    Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i, stiff
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 54* (bent to 55*), 60*, Accra 80i, stiff
    Putter: Evnroll ER1.2 355g, 33", KBS CT Tour Putter Matte Black, Sense S1 grip
    Ball: Wilson Duo Professional in green & yellow
    Bag/Cart: '18 Ping Hoofer/BagBoy Quad XL
    Accessories: Garmin G8/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
  • JDMRN81JDMRN81 PAMembers Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭

@BirdieBob said:
    I prefer Michael Newton Golf on YouTube for purchase decisions and Eric Cogorno Gojf for swing tips.

I concur with the latter. He explains and demonstrates his content very well. I’m a few hours away from him and considering booking some lessons.

PXG 0811xf Gen 2 9* AD TP-6
    Ping G400 Stretch 3w AD IZ-7
    Maltby DBM 3-GW C-Taper Lite 
    Callaway MD4 Tactical 52/58* 
    Evnroll ER2 Black 34"
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Stars and Stripes
  • Bucken77Bucken77 Poor Mans Ho ClubWRX Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Nice hat Maddy!

I love TXG. I find their personalities just perfect for the information they are giving. I wish they had a little bit more diversity as far as golfers though. Matt has a phenomenal swing. Ian does as well. They need someone in the mid cap range. The older gentleman they have does not seem to fit that category.

For entertainment I watch Golfholics and Golf Sidekick. 2 fun channels to watch some peeps play some golf. For reviews on stuff that just came out I will most likely be looking at Shiels and MNG. I just can't stand Crossfield. Comes off as an ****. Peter Finch's Road to the Open is a fun watch as well.

Titleist 913 D2/White Tie Stiff
    Titleist 2-4H S+ Stiff
    Titleist AP2 714 5-GW
    Titleist SM4 52/58
    Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
    www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77
  • Adam CAdam C Members Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

I just don't understand most of the videos. How does watching the lefty smash balls with a variety of shafts or heads, with what I would call a bit unorthodox swing help anyone else make any equipment decision? I get it, he hits it hard, but what is any of that worth. Between his speed and his technique I wonder how many golfers could ever use his numbers as any sort of useful baseline? I've watched some of the videos but I don't really hear any new or useful info that I could apply to my game.

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 14, 2019 12:49am #28

I don't know the guy's name but we wears a feminine bucket hat and plays in some Asian country with female caddies. He only talks over the videos and all the ones I've seen are him playing and giving strategy tips on course management. He's my favorite right now.

Edit: Golf Sidekick is his name.

• Red4282Red4282 Members Posts: 328 ✭✭✭✭

@Adam C said:
    I just don't understand most of the videos. How does watching the lefty smash balls with a variety of shafts or heads, with what I would call a bit unorthodox swing help anyone else make any equipment decision? I get it, he hits it hard, but what is any of that worth. Between his speed and his technique I wonder how many golfers could ever use his numbers as any sort of useful baseline? I've watched some of the videos but I don't really hear any new or useful info that I could apply to my game.

Sounds like your too intimidated to learn anything. No matter who is swinging there are things that can be learned from their videos.

• Adam CAdam C Members Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

@Red4282 said:

@Adam C said:

Sounds like your too intimidated to learn anything. No matter who is swinging there are things that can be learned from their videos.

There are some people on this forum who I am truly impressed by with their knowledge of the golf club in both club making and fitting. Really smart people who I always read their comments and often learn something from. Sorry to say those TXG guys don't fall into that category. Not hyperbole, I just have never heard them say anything I consider insightful. Just my opinion.

• buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

You must be too into watching someone's swing instead of listening to what is being said by the person with the knowledge and experience. Nothing insightful, this place never disappoints.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file