The 200 Yard Par 3 - How Do You Play It?

PorscheFanPorscheFan Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

At 11-ish handicap this shot still escapes me.

180 and I feel comfortable taking a 6i, but 200 and I'm lost.

I'd need to rip a 5i... but Christmas only comes but once a year, so I'm rarely successful with that.

Currently experimenting with a mid-lofted hybrid that I can put an easy swing on and have a decent chance of getting it to grab, but I can be a bit pully with hybrids right now, which brings left-to-right dispersion more prominently into play.

What's your go-to strategy? Also, for mid-handicappers, do you just accept 4 as a good score and move on?

Comments

• chigolfer1chigolfer1 Members Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 8, 2019 7:36pm #2

@PorscheFan said:

I'd need to rip a 5i... but Christmas only comes but once a year, so I'm rarely successful with that.

Currently experimenting with a mid-lofted hybrid that I can put an easy swing on and have a decent chance of getting it to grab, but I can be a bit pully with hybrids right now, which brings left-to-right dispersion more prominently into play.

What's your go-to strategy? Also, for mid-handicappers, do you just accept 4 as a good score and move on?

Not sure what is difficult about this exactly? As a mid to high handicapper, I take my 3 hybrid and occasionally actually put it on the green.

• SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you do not like hybrids, look at a 5 or 7w

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • trileriantrilerian Members Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭

@PorscheFan said:

13 cap here. I never consider a 4 as a good score on a par 3, but it is acceptable... Anyway, 22* hybrid for me. I actually have a couple of these at my home course. One is 200 to the front, and the other is 200 to the back, so depending on pin placement it is anywhere between a 5i and 3h. I will admit though, that I am not "pully" with my hybrids anymore than I am with any other club. My miss is generally a block with the hybrid.

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Get a Cally apex 5h (gen 1 or 2) and thank me later
    my 5h is as straight as a 9i .. not embellishing

Ping G410 LST 11.5* Tensei Org 60x
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* X-Torsion Cu 60s
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 p-spec org dot
    Ping iwedge 50* Tour Concept x100 green 
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grinds 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)

Should of asked this first... where's the trouble on this hole?

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • Exactice808Exactice808 Just want to hit ball far and go find it... Members Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 8, 2019 8:40pm #7

I got one like this..... Huge Pain in the butt, I would say by score im a 13.
    the hole is always about 200 yards total. (180 yards into a dead wind thats almost 2 clubs)
    for me a 180 shot would be a super hard 6 or a smooth 5iron. but this hole is a 4 iron out of my shoes or a smooth 5 wood.
    Its guarded by bunkers on both sides so it a pocket opening the flag positions varies so attacking a pin thats behind a bunker is almost impossible to gauge the carry distances as well as stopping a ripped 4iron or a feathered 5 wood just not likely.

Mid cap mindset I would be HAPPY with a 4 and get out. while its a par3 and my group is always playing money par3's which this becomes critical as its the 17th hole (so last par 3) The likelihood any of us get it with accuracy is very low so we just chalk up a lucky shot and pretty much all take bogey or worse.

Lets face it, a guarded 200 yard par3 was intended to be harder than a short Par 5 that has a 200y second shot. So have more faith in reaching a short par5 than this pain in the butt Par 3 and likely my scores reflect such that I average par on the Par 5's than I do on the par 3 with a similar distance shot (but the green layout) is more difficult on the par 3.

Post edited by Exactice808 on
    Titleist 915D3 
    TM M2v1 - 
    TM 18* M2 
    TM TP MC 4 & 5 PX 6.0 Rifles
    Cobra AMP Cell Pro 6-PW PX 6.0 Rifles
    Titleist SM5 Vokey50*/8*, 54*/10* & 58*/8* X100's
    Scotty Newport 2 33"
  • vinprun71vinprun71 ConnecticutMembers Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

Depends on how far you hit it. For me, that would be anywhere from a 22 degree hybrid to a 15 degree 3 wood. All depends on elevation, wind, and pin placement though. Same yardage yesterday on a par 3 and I had to take 3 wood due to wind. Same hole last time was a 22 degree hybrid.

TaylorMade R15 460cc (10.5)
    Callaway FT 3 Wood (15)
    Cobra F9 Speedback 4 Iron (18.5)
    TaylorMade Burner 4 Hybrid (22)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 5-GW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 56-F
    Titleist Vokey SM7 60-S
    Ping Karsten Anser
  • msgmsg Members Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭

I just accept a 4. I play a lot of muni courses in our area that has a 200 yard par 3. One is even 230 yards. On the 200 yard par 3's, I play my 4 hybrid or 3 hybrid or a high lofted 5 wood even. This year, for some reason, I have been lucky to land on the green with my 5 wood. Usually, a four is my par on these holes.

• JJK947JJK947 Members Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like you would benefit from a driving iron type club with a loft close to, or a little less than your 5 iron and the same shaft as your irons for control/consistency.

Taylormade M5 (9) - Tensei Pro Orange 60
    Taylormade M3 T3 (14) - Tensei Pro Orange 70
    Taylormade M3 5W (19) - Tensei Pro Orange 80
    Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100
    Taylormade TP EF 54.11 - DG Tour X100
    Taylormade TP EF 60 ATV - DG Tour S400
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

• CMCSGolfCMCSGolf Members Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming there isn't some hellacious hazard fronting the green, just hit a comfortable 5 iron to the front edge. Figure you'll get it down in 3 one third of the time and 4 two thirds of the time. There is no rule that says you have to hit the club to get you to pin high. Hitting a comfortable shot to a spot you can play from might yield the lowest scores in the long run.

• chigolfer1chigolfer1 Members Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@PorscheFan said:

Just hit a regular 4 iron. If you're an 11, I'm sure you can easily hit a non hybrid 4. I'm a high handicapper, haha, and I hit one.

• 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of talk on club to hit and not so much about strategy. Most long par 3’s are designed with risk reward for hitting it pin high. A good designer knows most golfer can reach the green and rarely put trouble short of the green.

In a situation with little trouble up front and a front half pin I will play a club I have to hit prefect to get pin high. If I don’t hit it perfect I should have an straight forward up and down. If it is s back pin I may still play to the front unless I am not hitting it well or I need to make birdie for some other reason (cut line, match play etc).

I play off 2 and trust my short game more than 225yard shots.

• PorscheFanPorscheFan Members Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@CMCSGolf said:
    Assuming there isn't some hellacious hazard fronting the green, just hit a comfortable 5 iron to the front edge. Figure you'll get it down in 3 one third of the time and 4 two thirds of the time. There is no rule that says you have to hit the club to get you to pin high. Hitting a comfortable shot to a spot you can play from might yield the lowest scores in the long run.

So that's exactly what I do right now unless there's trouble front... I'll play short and either hope for roll (which rarely happens with my 6i) or I'll just accept a chipor a long putt.

My real challenge here is getting the combo of carry and spin. I have a sniper 4i but that's not stopping other than on the best of strikes. On an average day (andmost are average) I'm probably not striking that 5i well enough to get much advance on the 6i, given the lateral diespersion that I then have to contend with.

I took my old 816 H219* and bumped it up to 21* but I'm not yet getting the left-to-right dispersion to make it a better bet than a short 6i. I'll need to adjust this for maximum fade potential or re-learn how to hit the darned thing straight!

Lofted wood is an interesting alternative. Interesting to see the variety of approaches people take and their expectations of scoring vs. handicap.

I truly consider the 200 YD par 3 to be the most loathed hole in golf at the moment. I need to find a solution to tame it!

• Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers Posts: 7,361 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

As simplistic as it sounds, find a reliable 200yrd shot. Helps on long par 3s , short par 4s, laying up on long par 5s.

• robs291robs291 Members Posts: 53 ✭✭

We have a similar hole at my course, but have 2 large and deep bunkers guarding the front. It is a large L/R green and of decent depth, but long can be a difficult chip to get close as the green is fast and downhill from the back. I bought a 21* hybrid set to 22* specifically for this hole. It is my 195-210 club and works great for this hole. I have more problems stopping my 4 iron than the hybrid (plus I am not that good with my 4 iron, 9 handicap here), and hit my 5 iron only 185 (so un-WRX). Either try the hybrid/5/7 wood approach, or open up your 4 iron a little and move it up in your stance (which my friend does, disaster for me). Good luck!

• FireballerFireballer Members Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

5i or 4h. 4h would be my safe shot for front trouble but would prob go off the back

• dlaneriedlanerie Members Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

A par 71 course I play at has 5 par 3s, 4 of them at roughly 195 to 215 yards from the tees that play 6600 yards total. Depending on the wind these holes play 6 iron up to 3 iron for me. I hate one of them with a passion since it's always hitting uphill into the wind over a bunker with sharp downslope on all sides into water.

@PorscheFan said:

@CMCSGolf said:

So that's exactly what I do right now unless there's trouble front... I'll play short and either hope for roll (which rarely happens with my 6i) or I'll just accept a chipor a long putt.

My real challenge here is getting the combo of carry and spin. I have a sniper 4i but that's not stopping other than on the best of strikes. On an average day (andmost are average) I'm probably not striking that 5i well enough to get much advance on the 6i, given the lateral diespersion that I then have to contend with.

I took my old 816 H219* and bumped it up to 21* but I'm not yet getting the left-to-right dispersion to make it a better bet than a short 6i. I'll need to adjust this for maximum fade potential or re-learn how to hit the darned thing straight!

Lofted wood is an interesting alternative. Interesting to see the variety of approaches people take and their expectations of scoring vs. handicap.

I truly consider the 200 YD par 3 to be the most loathed hole in golf at the moment. I need to find a solution to tame it!

No, the most loathed for me is the 250 yd par 3 at a rival course...

As a sub5, we have a 200-210 depending on tee to the middle. When the ground is hard , I like hitting 180-190 club and bouncing on. Long is dead, right is OB. Only bailout is left of left and short in the middle.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • Johnny_FairwayJohnny_Fairway South Jersey (Philly Burbs)Members Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭✭

200 yd par 3, if I can run it up I probably will. 4 iron should roll out to that distance for me. If there's OB left, I'd also potentially hit the 4 iron to keep a lost ball hook out of the equation.

If I had to carry 200, it would be my 5 wood. But I'd try to find a way to hit my 7 wood if I could reach the front of the green with it.

The most annoying par 3 is the little 150 yard par 3 you can't hit but you hit the 200 par three nearly every time the hole or two before.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • FadeFade Members Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot reasonably play it for carry onto the green, and trying to rip it is usually costly. I hit whatever club might get me on with a very unlikely perfect strike, or would roll on a with decent strike, or get me into a front bunker on a lesser strike. I would be OK with any of those outcomes.

• wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@PorscheFan said:

3-4 decades ago was a 3 or a 4 iron ( today's 4 or 5 iron ), depending on the carry and elevation of the green.
    Then it was a 4 hybrid, then to a 5 wood, now is probably a 4 wood.
    However, if there is no forced carry, I can still run it up with a 3 iron.
    Otherwise, I'd put the tee shot to where I could have a good chance of up and down, May that be short of the green oe to the side. And practice those short pitch shots so no worse then a 4 from a drop zone.

• elthrillelthrill Members Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

totally depends on the green complex and what my bail out options are. I'll tee up a 5 iron high and hit a high draw most typically. but if its a really tight shot without a lot of bailout, very often I'll pinch a 6 iron and try to get a really hard first bounce and if I come up short, so be it. I dont mind being short on most par 3s that dont have front bunkering. allows for an aggressive chip.

• farmerfarmer Members Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This won't be helpful, but as an old guy, I have a phrase for long par 3's that rhymes with ruck rat.

• MoonlightgrmMoonlightgrm Members Posts: 920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our 6th hole is slightly uphill and can play as short as 185 yards and as long as 215 yards. We are at sea level. I will use as little as a 5-iron and as much as a 5-wood (calm day).

For example, today the hole was playing 197 yards with a mild right to left breeze. I hit a 3-iron and it was plenty of club. Let me add, my lofts are traditional (my irons are twenty years old). For what it’s worth, whatever club you pull, swing it with confidence. Leave all doubts at home.

• gsrjcgsrjc TOC Members Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

19 degree 816 H2 hybrid middle of the green

• mukstermukster The secret IS in the dirt North of the 49thMembers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If it needs to go 200, a 22° 4 hybrid for me.

Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic Subzero 13.5, Mitsubishi Fubuki Z 65
    Cobra Baffler Rail H 17* hybrid, 
    Cobra F8 22* hybrid
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
    Cleveland CBX 50* wedge
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,435 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Practice.

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Ping G410 7 wood
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • MooMoo Members Posts: 384 ✭✭✭✭

The par 3's on the back where I ranger are 213 and 220. They are kinda a real test. I use a 7 wood or a 5 wood, depending on the tee and the pin location. I play those about 3 times a week and more than any other hole, including the par 5's, those long 3's have really forced me to sharpen up my fairway wood accuracy, as one prefers a draw and one prefers a fade or straight. If you can give up a long iron, adding a 7 or a 5 can really give you confidence on that 200-225 shot.

Driver TS2 (first driver in 9 years that could out the trusty 910 D2)
    Ping i3+ Blades (backup set Mizuno MP 54 P-4 which are now in cold storage until the end of time)
    Rogue 3 wood with Evenflow Blue (so easy to hit high and long...Evenflow rules!)
    Rogue 5 wood with Evenflow Blue
    Titleist 915 F 7 wood (the incredible Hedgehog...there is no turf that can stop the Hedgehog!)
    Miura 56 K
    Vokey gap and 62 M
    Ping Vault Ketsch 2.0

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file