Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

World Long Drive Championship.....Is it a thing now?

13»

Comments

• mosesgolfmosesgolf Members Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The winner's feats are amazing both men and women. However there hasn't been a standout dominant name attached to long drive lately. Zuback, Sadlowski - I loved watching them compete. But these days it's a different winner every year.

Ping G400 MAX 9 Aldila 125 MSI 70 x
    Ping G 14.5 3 Wood Tour 80 Stiff
    Ping G 17.5 4 Wood Tour 75 Stiff
    Ping G400 4-PW Modus 105 Stiff
    Ping Glide 2 SS 50*
    Ping Glide 2 SS 54*
    Ping Glide 2 ES 60*
    Ping Sigma Doon 38
  • golftejasgolftejas Members Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭

@mosesgolf said:
    The winner's feats are amazing both men and women. However there hasn't been a standout dominant name attached to long drive lately. Zuback, Sadlowski - I loved watching them compete. But these days it's a different winner every year.

Tim Burke is probably the closest to what you're looking for ... if he had been able to win last night (he finished 2nd) he would have won it three times in the last seven years ... that would have been a great win given the competition level now in the sport. But I agree that Zuback was amazing to watch, even though his four-peat is now 20 years ago. Several guys, including Sadlowski, have two championships.

• PoolPondPoolPond Members Posts: 74 ✭✭

About 10 years ago we had a young gun driver out to the course as part of a Friday stag day type of deal. This kid was about 22 and was driving the 10th green which is about 378 yards. I watched him do it for about 3 hours straight. He must have hit 75 balls some of which were short of the green but I don't recall many if any going OB. But I do get amazed watching these guys now on TV who will go 0-8 or 1-8. They'll certainly pipe a few but there are some incredible bad drives too. I played a round with a long drive guy once and we shot the same score. He drove it 340 and I drove it 280 yet we both walked off most greens with the same score. If we could have reveresed our drives I would have probably beat him by 10 shots. Needless to say his touch was a little iffy

• Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

At 400 yds the margin for error is tiny. I believe earlier in the season the announcers mentioned that it was like us mere mortals (250 yds) trying to hit a fairway that was 31 yds wide.

Jerry Foltz generally handles the "on course" interviews for the WLD Tour. He's the lead Golf Channel on-course reporter for the LPGA tournaments.

Like many of you, I fast forward through much of the telecast, and focus on the spin numbers. Anything that looks great but is spinning at 2500+ is going to fall out of the sky and/or get little rollout.

• JClarkGolfJClarkGolf Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

I love the long drive. It's so much more hype than regular golf!

• Titleist99Titleist99 Members Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭

Kyl> @Argonne69 said:

At 400 yds the margin for error is tiny. I believe earlier in the season the announcers mentioned that it was like us mere mortals (250 yds) trying to hit a fairway that was 31 yds wide.

Jerry Foltz generally handles the "on course" interviews for the WLD Tour. He's the lead Golf Channel on-course reporter for the LPGA tournaments.

Like many of you, I fast forward through much of the telecast, and focus on the spin numbers. Anything that looks great but is spinning at 2500+ is going to fall out of the sky and/or get little rollout.

I do find the statistical part of it very interesting. The number are not 100% predictable for the shots result but very close.

@JClarkGolf said:
    I love the long drive. It's so much more hype than regular golf!

LOL! …...Hype Machine! Just like WWE.....LOL!

@PoolPond said:
    About 10 years ago we had a young gun driver out to the course as part of a Friday stag day type of deal. This kid was about 22 and was driving the 10th green which is about 378 yards. I watched him do it for about 3 hours straight. He must have hit 75 balls some of which were short of the green but I don't recall many if any going OB. But I do get amazed watching these guys now on TV who will go 0-8 or 1-8. They'll certainly pipe a few but there are some incredible bad drives too. I played a round with a long drive guy once and we shot the same score. He drove it 340 and I drove it 280 yet we both walked off most greens with the same score. If we could have reveresed our drives I would have probably beat him by 10 shots. Needless to say his touch was a little iffy

I thought the ladies competition was very entertaining and more eye pleasing...LOL! Seriously though, like the announcer said.....you only need one in the grill. One would think that the strategy would be a nice smooth swing to get the first one in.

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ryan Winther was the biggest beast the long drive ever saw. I think he touched 230 ball speed a few times. Problem was he could never keep it on the grid.

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour, GD TOUR AD-DI 8X 
    3 iron Cobra King Utility
    4-PW cobra King pro CBs KBS $ taper 130g X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 50 , 55, 60
    PUTTER; Carbon Ringo welded long neck.
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • mcputtermcputter Members Posts: 983 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the kid who won this week-Kyle Berkshire has a pretty good chance of dominating for a few years.

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
    TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
    Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
    Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
    Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
    Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
    Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
    Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
    Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!
  • DpavsDpavs OverWRX'ed Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 6, 2019 6:16pm #72

@mosesgolf said:

With Berkshire's stock rising the way it did this year, I wonder if anyone will still be thinking this next year?

Dates 2019 Events Place
    Sep 4 World Long Drive Championship Won
    Aug. 12 Tennessee Big Shots Won
    July 24 ROC City Rumble Won
    June 5 Atlantic City Boardwalk Bash Semifinals
    May 7 Exchange: Fort Jackson Runner-Up
    April 16 Ak-Chin Smash in the Sun Runner-Up

• HankshankHankshank Members Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 7, 2019 3:47pm #73

A pity Jamie S is not doing this any longer.

• nichhonichho Members Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It makes for a good highlights package.

Callaway Rogue UST Recoil 
    Srixon Z H65 2h Myazaki Kaula
    Srixon Z H65 3h Myazaki Kaula
    Mizuno MP4 4-PW TTDG
    Japanese Tour Forged AW
    Taylormade EF Spin 56 KBS Wedge
    Vokey SM6 60 KBS Sinner
    Mizuno T105
  • golftejasgolftejas Members Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭

@Hankshank said:
    A pity Jamie S is not doing this any longer.

But fortunately Grandpa Jamie keeps his legend going!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file