GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

World Long Drive Championship.....Is it a thing now?

13»
3

Comments

  • mosesgolfmosesgolf Members  7052WRX Points: 325Posts: 7,052 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #62

    The winner's feats are amazing both men and women. However there hasn't been a standout dominant name attached to long drive lately. Zuback, Sadlowski - I loved watching them compete. But these days it's a different winner every year.

    Posted:
    Ping G410 Plus 9* Tensei Orange 60 X
    Ping G410 16.5 Tensei Orange 70 X
    Ping G410 19 Tensei X
    Ping G410 22 Tour 85 Stiff
    Ping i200 5-AW KBS Tour 120 Stiff
    Ping Glide Forged 56
    Ping Glide Forged 60
    Ping UG-LE Putter
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • golftejasgolftejas Members  471WRX Points: 104Handicap: 8Posts: 471 Greens
    Joined:  #63

    On -, @mosesgolf said:

    The winner's feats are amazing both men and women. However there hasn't been a standout dominant name attached to long drive lately. Zuback, Sadlowski - I loved watching them compete. But these days it's a different winner every year.

    Tim Burke is probably the closest to what you're looking for ... if he had been able to win last night (he finished 2nd) he would have won it three times in the last seven years ... that would have been a great win given the competition level now in the sport. But I agree that Zuback was amazing to watch, even though his four-peat is now 20 years ago. Several guys, including Sadlowski, have two championships.

    Posted:


  • PoolPondPoolPond Members  84WRX Points: 100Posts: 84 Fairways
    Joined:  #64

    About 10 years ago we had a young gun driver out to the course as part of a Friday stag day type of deal. This kid was about 22 and was driving the 10th green which is about 378 yards. I watched him do it for about 3 hours straight. He must have hit 75 balls some of which were short of the green but I don't recall many if any going OB. But I do get amazed watching these guys now on TV who will go 0-8 or 1-8. They'll certainly pipe a few but there are some incredible bad drives too. I played a round with a long drive guy once and we shot the same score. He drove it 340 and I drove it 280 yet we both walked off most greens with the same score. If we could have reveresed our drives I would have probably beat him by 10 shots. Needless to say his touch was a little iffy

    Posted:
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members  23651WRX Points: 7,518Posts: 23,651 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #65

    At 400 yds the margin for error is tiny. I believe earlier in the season the announcers mentioned that it was like us mere mortals (250 yds) trying to hit a fairway that was 31 yds wide.

    Jerry Foltz generally handles the "on course" interviews for the WLD Tour. He's the lead Golf Channel on-course reporter for the LPGA tournaments.

    Like many of you, I fast forward through much of the telecast, and focus on the spin numbers. Anything that looks great but is spinning at 2500+ is going to fall out of the sky and/or get little rollout.

    Posted:
    • Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
    • TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
    • Ping G400 7wd 20.5 - Alta CB 65 Stiff 43"
    • Ping G400 9wd 23.5 - Alta CB 65 Stiff
    • Ping G400 26 and 30 hybrids - Alta CB 70 Stiff
    • Ping i200 7-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
    • Ping Glide 2.0 52 SS, 56 WS, and 60 WS AWT 2.0 Wedge
    • Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"
  • JClarkGolfJClarkGolf Members  90WRX Points: 28Posts: 90 Fairways
    Joined:  #66

    I love the long drive. It's so much more hype than regular golf!

    Posted:
  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members  1099WRX Points: 482Posts: 1,099 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #67

    Kyl>

    On -, @Argonne69 said:

    At 400 yds the margin for error is tiny. I believe earlier in the season the announcers mentioned that it was like us mere mortals (250 yds) trying to hit a fairway that was 31 yds wide.

    Jerry Foltz generally handles the "on course" interviews for the WLD Tour. He's the lead Golf Channel on-course reporter for the LPGA tournaments.

    Like many of you, I fast forward through much of the telecast, and focus on the spin numbers. Anything that looks great but is spinning at 2500+ is going to fall out of the sky and/or get little rollout.

    I do find the statistical part of it very interesting. The number are not 100% predictable for the shots result but very close.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members  1099WRX Points: 482Posts: 1,099 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #68

    On -, @JClarkGolf said:

    I love the long drive. It's so much more hype than regular golf!

    LOL! …...Hype Machine! Just like WWE.....LOL!

    Posted:
  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members  1099WRX Points: 482Posts: 1,099 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #69

    On -, @PoolPond said:

    About 10 years ago we had a young gun driver out to the course as part of a Friday stag day type of deal. This kid was about 22 and was driving the 10th green which is about 378 yards. I watched him do it for about 3 hours straight. He must have hit 75 balls some of which were short of the green but I don't recall many if any going OB. But I do get amazed watching these guys now on TV who will go 0-8 or 1-8. They'll certainly pipe a few but there are some incredible bad drives too. I played a round with a long drive guy once and we shot the same score. He drove it 340 and I drove it 280 yet we both walked off most greens with the same score. If we could have reveresed our drives I would have probably beat him by 10 shots. Needless to say his touch was a little iffy

    I thought the ladies competition was very entertaining and more eye pleasing...LOL! Seriously though, like the announcer said.....you only need one in the grill. One would think that the strategy would be a nice smooth swing to get the first one in.

    Posted:
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10627WRX Points: 3,748Handicap: 8Posts: 10,627 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #70

    Ryan Winther was the biggest beast the long drive ever saw. I think he touched 230 ball speed a few times. Problem was he could never keep it on the grid.

    Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • mcputtermcputter Members  1056WRX Points: 239Handicap: 0.9Posts: 1,056 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #71

    I think the kid who won this week-Kyle Berkshire has a pretty good chance of dominating for a few years.

    Posted:
    Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
    TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
    Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
    Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
    Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
    Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
    Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
    Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
    Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

    It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!
  • DpavsDpavs OverWRX'ed MichiganClubWRX  3948WRX Points: 578Posts: 3,948 ClubWRX
    Joined:  edited Sep 6, 2019 #72

    On -, @mosesgolf said:

    The winner's feats are amazing both men and women. However there hasn't been a standout dominant name attached to long drive lately. Zuback, Sadlowski - I loved watching them compete. But these days it's a different winner every year.

    With Berkshire's stock rising the way it did this year, I wonder if anyone will still be thinking this next year?

    Dates 2019 Events Place
    Sep 4 World Long Drive Championship Won
    Aug. 12 Tennessee Big Shots Won
    July 24 ROC City Rumble Won
    June 5 Atlantic City Boardwalk Bash Semifinals
    May 7 Exchange: Fort Jackson Runner-Up
    April 16 Ak-Chin Smash in the Sun Runner-Up

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • HankshankHankshank Members  1966WRX Points: 507Posts: 1,966 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Sep 7, 2019 #73

    A pity Jamie S is not doing this any longer.

    Posted:
  • nichhonichho Members  2063WRX Points: 283Posts: 2,063 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #74

    It makes for a good highlights package.

    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Speeder
    TM GAPR 19* KBS
    TM GAPR 22* KBS
    Wilson Staff Model 4-PW TTDG
    Mizuno S18 50 TTDG
    Mizuno S18 56* TTDG
    Vokey SM6 60 TTDG
    Mizuno T105
  • golftejasgolftejas Members  471WRX Points: 104Handicap: 8Posts: 471 Greens
    Joined:  #75

    On -, @Hankshank said:

    A pity Jamie S is not doing this any longer.

    But fortunately Grandpa Jamie keeps his legend going!

    Posted:


3

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.