Cheating

leezer99 ·  
leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026Members  1733WRX Points: 1,049Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,733 Platinum Tees

The cheating needs to stop. I am so over it and the kids that are pressured to fudge scores. I get that it's the responsibility of the group but if a kid asks another kid what they got and they give an incorrect score it's not because they can't count. If kids are leaving the sport this is just one of the many reasons.

Posted:

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Comments

• Kcct82Kcct82 Members  279WRX Points: 173Posts: 279 Greens

What’s up? You guys at Desert Shootout and something happened?

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1733WRX Points: 1,049Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,733 Platinum Tees

Not desert shootout just a local event. Kid my son was playing with had multiple double bogies but there were none on the card after they signed and he ended up winning. Then a well known instructor posted on IG about him winning so I texted him saying, "your next lesson with (kids name) should be on how to count".

Posted:

• TreyWingbatTreyWingbat Members  497WRX Points: 141Posts: 497 Greens

Maybe the kid went to the "Patrick Reed School of Golf"?

Posted:
    The average WRX'er drives it 342, and hits a 7-iron 220.*
    *Distances measured in feet, not yards.
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32512WRX Points: 2,528Posts: 32,512 Titanium Tees

It is like grades. If you don't get an "A", you've failed. My son called a penalty on himself during a tournament...no one but him saw the infraction...and his coach was PO'd at him.

Cheating is more than just about a golf score, it can seep into other areas of their lives. It seems integrity wasn't what it once was, and there are some who are willing to give it up rather cheaply.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• From_Parts_UnknownFrom_Parts_Unknown Members  1945WRX Points: 301Posts: 1,945 Platinum Tees
    Posted:
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members  1204WRX Points: 578Posts: 1,204 Platinum Tees

I take it your kid wasn't the marker for the cheater? Obviously, we know that the cheating will eventually catch up with them. It certainly sucks to have to deal with that garbage. Also, It's definitely difficult for the juniors to have to keep track of other kid's scores while maintaining their focus on their own game. In the two JGANC events that we have played, they actually send out a single marker person for all players in the group.

Posted:

-- Just tap it in. Just tap it in. Give it a little tappy tap tap taparoo. --

-- Get down with the sickness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09LTT0xwdfw --

Advertisement
  • BB28403BB28403 Members  4279WRX Points: 754Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Posts: 4,279 Titanium Tees

Yep, there is so much pressure nowadays . They get a dopamine boost every time they brag about “doing well” on social media or Facebook. Actually all this social media stuff and Facebook is kind of why we are in trouble as a culture. But I’m sure smart PHDs are trying to figure it out. They just have a really uphill battle vs all the money out there who are in the business of handing out the “Good Feelings”.

just tell your son to be honest to himself and it will serve him well in life. Even if we are living in an era where most lie to themselves. When he plays in a real tourney and officials are watching, your son will soar and the others will falter.

Posted:

Some live and die by the number of "likes" they receive.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• J_carpJ_carp Members  77WRX Points: 57Handicap: 1Posts: 77 Fairways

Unfortunately, it’s not a new development. I played in college and we caught 3 teammates lying about scores during qualifying. Literally **** over their own teammates, can’t imagine what they were doing to other teams.

Posted:
  • caniac6caniac6 Members  3362WRX Points: 1,003Handicap: 4Posts: 3,362 Titanium Tees

Why did anyone sign the cheater's card? Anyone that signed his card, and didn't protect the field, is just as guilty. Kids shouldn't cheat, but other players shouldn't let them get away with it, either.

Posted:
  • LondonerLondoner Members  1555WRX Points: 344Handicap: 10Posts: 1,555 Platinum Tees

I don't understand the parents (assuming they're aware).

I would rather my kid be honest than a major winner.

Posted:
    Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
    taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60

Advertisement
  • JBirdUtJBirdUt Members  388WRX Points: 97Posts: 388 Greens

Witnessed many cheating occasions. The player who tried to claim 14 less strokes through 13 holes, my daughter called the opponent out every time. The opponent finally started reporting honest scores. The parent who would walk back and forth ,across the fringe of the green, in the through line while players were putting. Then, on the next tee make all sorts of noises during everyone’s backswing (a parent did call her out on this one). A top 50 player not count a swing and a miss in match play, turned the match around. Family is a prominent golfing family, everyone witnessed it. Parents posting swing by swing updates to social media. After the match one of the family members, a college coach, let me know they agreed my child deserved the eventual win.

These are the big ones I’m aware of.

Posted:
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members  1548WRX Points: 365Posts: 1,548 Platinum Tees

@leezer99 I’ve seen the sort of thing happen a lot and it does need to stop. For some reason the laws of physics that apply to golf do not to some players. Everyone knows who the cheaters are I mean when you drive 150 yards it is physically impossible to par the majority of holes at 6000 yards.

‘The real issue is you need to do better more national tournaments with a lot officials and ones that involve more travel with older kids. It makes a huge difference the honest kids do better and you see better results. Those kids who cheat hate doing those tournaments because they get DQ. I seen more then one this weekend get what they deserve.

some the better events are state golf associations and National tours like HJGT as well as regional ones like Peggy Kirk for girls. The worst seem to be local us kids and local pga sections.

Posted:
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members  1548WRX Points: 365Posts: 1,548 Platinum Tees

This is easier said then done. So many officials just cave and tell the disagreeing player to just sign the card. So nothing happens. The problem is just some tours don’t care about the scores and cheating. In some cases they even promote the cheaters on their websites so they don’t care to admonish them. Best to not do those ones.

Posted:
  • darter79darter79 Members  853WRX Points: 258Posts: 853 Golden Tee

a lot of kids I've seen just ask what they got and write it down. Not many count, they just don't always pay attention enough. I always try to ask my daughter what the score is for the person she is keeping when I'm caddying for her so she knows to pay attention to that.

Posted:
  • DaddyCaddieIUDaddyCaddieIU Members  83WRX Points: 36Posts: 83 Fairways

Worst I’ve ever seen is parent/caddy keeping score for kid and intentionally writing down wrong scores so when two players go over scorecards at the end, scores are wrong and traditionally better player DQ’d so their kid could win... can’t prove it but you don’t mess up someone else’s score multiple times

Posted:

Advertisement
  • VNutzVNutz Members  6660WRX Points: 613Posts: 6,660 Titanium Tees

Please don't take this the wrong way as I don't normally stray into this area of the boards, and don't take this as a criticism of you or your son. I happened to see this thread this morning and given the talk of cheating in other sports currently decided to have a look. IMO, honesty is always first and foremost the responsibility of the player, the individual, but when they fail to do so their playing partners are all that's left to hold them accountable, to protect the field. And I say this coming from experience as I've been in this group before. Early in my golf career a playing partner won an event with a score I later knew wasn't right. I didn't hold his card though and I wasn't paying attention to what he was putting himself down for, and the person who held his card did didn't call him out on it. Now it's difficult to keep tabs on everybody in your group all the time, but from then on I made a habit to keep an eye on what others were doing, and to ask out scores on the next tee box. It's a tough thing for a younger kid to do, but if you want things to be honest you've got to hold them accountable. Perhaps this is a good learning opportunity for your son to do the same. It stinks because you can't watch everybody all the time, but if word starts getting round that kids are getting caught then they'll probably fear cheating more than before.

Posted:
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3666WRX Points: 1,007Posts: 3,666 Titanium Tees

Stick to your convictions. My son is transferring high schools because of cheating, vaping, drug use within the golf team and it is allowed to go on by Coaches that are PGA Professionals.. Not a good look.

Posted:
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members  3666WRX Points: 1,007Posts: 3,666 Titanium Tees

This ^^^^^^

The same kids cheating on the golf course are the same exact kids cheating in the classroom.

Posted:

Exactly correct in a team setting. If a kid cheats on a high school or college team they don't give a crap about their teammates or the team.

Posted:
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX  25366WRX Points: 2,511Handicap: 2 ManyPosts: 25,366 ClubWRX

So much of this starts with the parents as opposed to the kids. It has to be a very small percentage of kids that are predisposed to cheating, it's more of a learned/taught behavior. I'll never forget my Dad waking me up at 11PM because he heard I challenged an umpire's decision on a rule during a baseball game. 50 years later and I remember that moment like it was yesterday. Not to go all old school but parents of days of yore were much tougher on everything...and I appreciate that they were a great example to follow.

Posted:

Advertisement

Everything today is about protecting the kid rather than punishing the kids. Even in just 3 years since my daughter graduated high school things have changed drastically. Public schools are a disaster in most cases anymore. It goes further than just golf.

Posted:
  • NolesNoles Members  1609WRX Points: 228Posts: 1,609 Platinum Tees

That stinks that he has to go through that. Too many people who are coaching high school sports these days are in it for the wrong reasons.

Posted:

Parents living vicariously through their children...as if they live and die by how well their child does instead of simply accepting what the child can and cannot do while offering encouragement. What life lessons are these children learning? What about honor and integrity? What about walking off the 18th green knowing you gave it your best shot, despite the results, as opposed to cheating and walking off the 18th green knowing your score does not reflect reality.

Posted:

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  20941WRX Points: 4,912Posts: 20,941 ClubWRX

Love that! Brings back a good memory of a similar but somewhat opposite story . . . 9th grade spring - a teacher (incidentally his son was one of Iowa's better golfers ever and became a good instructor and flirted with the Tour back in the 60s) who was a super nice and older gentleman had been to the senior league baseball games on Sunday and after his class on Monday had me and another kid stay for a minute - he pulls out a baseball rule book and very nicely let the two of us know that we were way too smart to be playing and not know the rules our sport because the application of a particular rule (can't remember which one) would have made a difference in our game. He was right, ump got it wrong, coaches didn't notice (one of whom was my dad, lol) but he was letting us know we needed to take responsibility for knowing the game we were playing. Made a big impression on me, but he was also the kind of quiet, soft spoken and intelligent person that treated kids with respect and commanded it at the same time.

Posted:

I taught and coached High school Basketball for 10 years. I would rather lose with great kids than win with ****.

The thing is, these coaches are completely oblivious to the problems because they are off campus coaches.

10 years ago preventive measures were taken to make sure stuff like happened didn't happened. Today it is let the kids do whatever and whatever happens will react after the fact.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dlc1914dlc1914 Members  31WRX Points: 49Handicap: 25Posts: 31 Bunkers

Wow. Really? That's disheartening.

What's the best way for a kid to address incorrect scores without being "obnoxious". Suggest that count their strokes again or just straight up say, that # is incorrect?

Posted:
  • MikekiMMikekiM Members  278WRX Points: 113Posts: 278 Greens
    Posted:

I think you just have to call it out when they say the incorrect score.

Never say "Did you get a par?' to another player. Kids will answer "Uh, Huh. Yeah. Yes. Yep." thinking their scorer wasn't paying attention. Ask them "What did you have on that hole?'. They need to give a number and if you are unsure it is correct you need to go back and count the strokes with them.

If I get a minute I will PM you the entire story of the cheating incident. It blew my mind and still does of how the coach handled it.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026 Members  1733WRX Points: 1,049Handicap: A BillionPosts: 1,733 Platinum Tees

Yes, and I trust he will handle it appropriately.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.