***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

A Day at Bandon

2»

Comments

• 2bGood2bGood Members  5636WRX Points: 866Handicap: 3-8Posts: 5,636 Titanium Tees

Played them all at-least 10 times except the Sheep Ranch which I have only played before it was a course- so I can't comment on so it is not in the mix for my advice.

As for your question, it is not. - which is the best course at Bandon ?- (Pacific). Or what is your favourite course? (Old Mac),or what is the most fun course? (Preserve), but what is the ONE course should you play.

Hands down I vote Bandon Dunes. It is the most 'playable' course of the 18 hole courses, gives you a great sense of the property and gives the true 'Bandon' experience.

Having said that Pacific is a close second, but it can beat you up a bit more. Old Mac is a great course, but if you going to be down on the coast you want to play one the coast line and enjoy those views. Trails is wonderful course but it not very 'Bandony'.

By the way I think the Preserve is about the most fun I have had playing golf, particularly playing as large groups - Make sure to use putter on your tee shot on 13.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • 1lovesputters1lovesputters Southern CaliforniaMembers  751WRX Points: 101Handicap: 4Posts: 751 Golden Tee

Thanks for asking. I was there 2 weeks ago and played all 90 holes on the full size courses (in 1.5 days)

In 2-3 years when the greens mature, the answer is probably Sheep Ranch IN THE MORNING or mid Morning. Fog (AM) vs. Wind (PM) is the trade off.

My favorite course layout was Trails, but it has little ocean experience so, for 1 trip around, not that one.

Not OLD Mac IMO; some funkiness, but I respect it.

Bandon Dunes will be coming out of the US AM, so in great shape, and the collection of holes on Pacific are wonderful but wasnt in great shape a couple weeks ago.

My ANSWER: Play Pacific Dunes if condition is peak, otherwise go with Bandon Dunes.

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik Triple Diamond SubZero 10.5 Speeder 661 v6
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero Tour 16.5 Tensei Blue 70 CK Pro
    TM SIM Max 19 (AD-IZ)
    PXG GEN 2 22,25 (AD-DI)
    PXG GEN 3 311P,T 6-W KBS Tour Black
    Vokey SM8 Raw Custom Grind 50.08, 56.14 KBS Tour Black
    Hi Toe RAW 60 KBS Tour Black
    PXG GunBoat GEN1
  • MaxBuckMaxBuck Members  526WRX Points: 270Posts: 526 Golden Tee

Going to try to play at Bandon in a couple weeks. I appreciate the opinions here!

Posted:
  • MuDPhuDMuDPhuD Members  4WRX Points: 8Posts: 4 Starters

@puttnforthe8 Pebble Beach is not located at Bandon, and that is the #1 ranked course in the US (Public). @deckmc4868 However, if you want to play the #2 ranked public course in the US, I think Pacific captures the whole essence of the resort pretty well, but you can't go wrong with any of the courses.

Posted:
  • puttnforthe8puttnforthe8 ARIZONAMembers  3404WRX Points: 469Posts: 3,404 Titanium Tees

Pretty sure PD and Pebble flip flopped spots last year? and since I do not consider 2020 to be valid; PD will remain #1 in my book.

Posted:
  • MuDPhuDMuDPhuD Members  4WRX Points: 8Posts: 4 Starters

@puttnforthe8 Golf digest ranking posted May 2019 had Pebble #1, PD #2. I could not find any 2019 ranking where PD is #1 (but would be glad to be informed otherwise, as I have played both and I like PD more)

Posted:

Advertisement
  • puttnforthe8puttnforthe8 ARIZONAMembers  3404WRX Points: 469Posts: 3,404 Titanium Tees

One of the last 2 years it was flopped.. Regardless, I PD is #1 in my ranking and that is all that FKN matters!!!

Posted:
  • 2bGood2bGood Members  5636WRX Points: 866Handicap: 3-8Posts: 5,636 Titanium Tees

The rankings are kind of meaningless at some point. Any course that get near the top of the list is equally great. Personally I think PD is a better course, but PB is more amazing to play given the history.

Posted:
  • desailledesaille Members  1761WRX Points: 174Posts: 1,761 Platinum Tees

Did you peak at the original 16th tee box? Think it's that spot between the two humps.

Posted:

I wish I had written that myself as it perfectly sums up my own views on Bandon.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • carreracarrera Northern CaliforniaMembers  2669WRX Points: 209Posts: 2,669 Titanium Tees

Great post @rtraudt . I would only quibble with part of your comment about OM...the redan there looks and feels nothing like a redan anywhere! I looked at my notes after the round (Doak's hole by hole summary) and had to try to figure out where the redan features were. After four plays of the hole, I still don't see it.

But great summary. You should play SR...you will enjoy it.

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Tour Length - Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
    Cobra F9 14.5 - Atmos Blue Stiff
    Callaway Epic Hybrid - Recoil 780 stiff
    TM790 - Steelfiber R 4-UW
    Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
    TM Spider Tour
    Srixon Z-Star
  • az2auaz2au Scottsdale, AZ/New York, NYUnregistered  2302WRX Points: 463Handicap: 4.8Posts: 2,302 Platinum Tees

I get why you think that after playing North Berwick, NGL and Mid Ocean but in 6 plays at OM I can see it. Definitely not in the same league though. Honestly my favorite is Mid Ocean for being laid out exactly as I understood the hole needed to be. I'm also going to state that this has nothing to do with the fact that I explained the concept and how to play it to my foursome at Mid Ocean and then pulled off the exact shot I described to like 3'. 🤣

Posted:
  • carreracarrera Northern CaliforniaMembers  2669WRX Points: 209Posts: 2,669 Titanium Tees

@az2au yes, my home course was featured in Hunter's "The Links" as a Redan example, and I've enjoyed playing many, including "reverse" redans. The pin position on last visit for both days was up front or middle, so we didn't get to experience the diagonal front to back roll on any shots. The left bunker being positioned farther back than front left also confuses the look. Anyway, I enjoy Old Mac and would gladly play it as many times as possible on a visit.

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Tour Length - Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
    Cobra F9 14.5 - Atmos Blue Stiff
    Callaway Epic Hybrid - Recoil 780 stiff
    TM790 - Steelfiber R 4-UW
    Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
    TM Spider Tour
    Srixon Z-Star
  • njlamnjlam Members  910WRX Points: 63Posts: 910 Golden Tee

I am a Bandon veteran and have been there over 20 times.

I have an annual group that has gone the same weekend in November for the last 15 years and while everyone will argue which of the 18 hole courses in the best, no one argues with where we have the best time. The Preserve is the most fund when you are playing with a large group.

While my order of preferences have always been

1. BD
    2. BT
    3. PD
    4. OM

I was fortunate to play the Sheep Ranch twice earlier this month and really liked it. This course has the most ocean views and they are spectacular.

While it is not my favorite, I think the course enjoys elements of the other 4 courses, so if you only can play one, the Sheep Ranch may give you a little of everything in one round.

Having only played it twice, I am not sure I like it more than BD or BT, but I definitely like it more than OM. While PD is very popular, I have only scored well there a few times. I can honestly say I like SR better than PD.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping Rapture 12 w/MR Diamana BB R
    Woods: Ping G25 4w & 7w w/MR Diamana BB R
    Hybrid: PXG 25 w/MR Tensei Red R
    Irons: Ping i200 5-U w/Project X 5.5 LZ
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 Tour Issue w/DG S400
    Putter: Gamer GOAT
    Ball: Titleist ProV1x
  • duffer987duffer987 Meh... eh Canadian in CaliforniaMembers  9957WRX Points: 1,181Handicap: ~8Posts: 9,957 Titanium Tees

It's Right->Left and slopes Front->Back; otherwise yes it doesn't bear much resemblance to the North Berwick version.

OM is best played knowing it's a pastiche but not looking too closely for the like-to-like copies :-)

Posted:

Advertisement
  • MaxBuckMaxBuck Members  526WRX Points: 270Posts: 526 Golden Tee

Playing next week at Pacific Dunes. I appreciate the insights here.

Posted:

Officially the only person on golfwrx to ever be able to interject the word "pastiche" into a golf post! Massive Kudos!!!

Posted:
  • duffer987duffer987 Meh... eh Canadian in CaliforniaMembers  9957WRX Points: 1,181Handicap: ~8Posts: 9,957 Titanium Tees

I like werdz ;-) And also to serve as a heads up if someone went there thinking they were getting a like for like replication, which didn't some tacky course in Vegas or Florida do?

Edit: Royal Links I was thinking of

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.