G400 Max...Holy Cow!!!

drumdude96

Mine has turned my tee game around. Former scratch player, ballooned to a 7 over last few years, mostly from looking for balls in the woods and a lack of confidence on the tee. Thought I was past my prime. Nope.

I decided to build the most forgiving driver possibble. Bought one on here, put a 44' HZRDUS Black hand crafted prototype in it. A few cotton balls to get the sw dialed and sound muted a bit. The thing is like a tennis racquet. I can't miss it. Very, very, very, very straight. I don't see the odd additional 40+ yard blast like I did with the Rogue, but that was inconsistent, and usually just got me in more trouble anyway.

I just had my career round with the MAX. Hit all 14 fairways and made 9 birdies. My game has gone from triage to attack mode. index at back at 2 and headed lower.

I never thought one club could make such a big difference.

Did the cotton improve the sound for you quite a bit? If you don't mind, can you share pics of how you did it?

The cotton did mute the sound noticeably. I just removed the weight in the sole, pulled apart the cotton balls and stuffed them in with a toothpick. check posts here about the subject before you try. They add more weight than I had guessed they would.

Mine has turned my tee game around. Former scratch player, ballooned to a 7 over last few years, mostly from looking for balls in the woods and a lack of confidence on the tee. Thought I was past my prime. Nope.

I decided to build the most forgiving driver possibble. Bought one on here, put a 44' HZRDUS Black hand crafted prototype in it. A few cotton balls to get the sw dialed and sound muted a bit. The thing is like a tennis racquet. I can't miss it. Very, very, very, very straight. I don't see the odd additional 40+ yard blast like I did with the Rogue, but that was inconsistent, and usually just got me in more trouble anyway.

I just had my career round with the MAX. Hit all 14 fairways and made 9 birdies. My game has gone from triage to attack mode. index at back at 2 and headed lower.

44" shaft or playing at 44"?

Playing at 44.

Thought I'd post some PMs I sent about testing with my Max

1. I'm pretty close. I had my best day of testing to date, but not perfect. Had some issues closing the face enough that resulted in a lot of slices that wouldn't hold a fairway. I want to eliminate the miss right and be able to draw it more easily when I have to. I was thinking of taking more weight out to the rear but it seems like I'm bottomed out at 7 grams.

When I closed the face these were the results. https://image.ibb.co/dm39Py/cCPeeY8Y.jpg

2. I tested again, and I was slower (didn't feel great, not too concerned), but I had more success turning it over. It still feels a little head-heavy, but it's not too high launch/spin, and the shaft fits. So yeah, another data point telling me I'm close. Launch was 14.5 and spin 1800. I'm over the moon with that. It's very efficient -- easy length with tons of forgiveness, and a shaft that can hold up even when I step on it. Either going 1-2 grams lighter, or taking another quarter inch off the butt, and I'm gonna have tee box nirvana. I need to find the head weight of my old ls tec. I'm going to email the guy that bought it. I want to say it was lighter than both my G and Max.

Drank the kool aid, mine came in yesterday. If I can't find the fairway, I am blaming all of you people.

Finding fairways with the Max won't be a problem. At very least that's this drivers strength. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Drank the coolaid, bought the Max.

Hit a few balls tonight before my back said that's enough.

I was very impressed, found myself in the fairway more than usual and in uncharted territory. Nice hitting one's second shot from those locations.

Been disappointed more often than not with most purchases, but not tonight.

Holy Cow!!! is being politically correct. I had to wash my mouth out with soap after i got home. lol

Anyone have experience switching from the "old" G30. Is it truly "better" in terms of forgivness and/or distance?

The G400 Max has an almost 10% increase in MOI over the G30 which is extremely significant because the G30 was already one of the more forgiving drivers on the market. So yes, The G400 Max is measurably more forgiving.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Did the cotton improve the sound for you quite a bit? If you don't mind, can you share pics of how you did it?

The cotton did mute the sound noticeably. I just removed the weight in the sole, pulled apart the cotton balls and stuffed them in with a toothpick. check posts here about the subject before you try. They add more weight than I had guessed they would.

Didn't I read somewhere around here that cotton balls or yarn or similar inside the club head makes the club NON-conforming, i.e. illegal ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Drank the kool aid, mine came in yesterday. If I can't find the fairway, I am blaming all of you people.

:cheesy:

If you need more help finding the fairway, I would suggest walking towards the pole with a banner on the top of it. You should find the fairway and your ball. :wave:

Scottie asked "

Anyone have experience switching from the "old" G30. Is it truly "better" in terms of forgivness and/or distance? "

Yes, But I switched from a firm flex 65 gram white tie in the G30 to a Stiff 65 gram Red Tie and Ping Tour 65 in the Max. My home course is dry and hard and the lower trajectory of the two new shafts are going farther than the old set up.

Results with the two new shafts are about the same.

Fast conditions are reducing the number of tee shots where hitting driver is a smart play due to target golf style course. I now have new personal longest drives, on 5 holes at my home course, in the last week.

Really looking forward to taking the max on the road tomorrow. The longer course lets you bang it out there as far as you want, on 12 holes. Tough deciding which shaft to put into it for the day.

I picked up the 6Q3 uncut 46" red tie shaft (black paint job) for about $20 delivered. Black shaft matches up with the max color nicely.

G400Max 10.5 Driver Red Velocore 6S
G410 5 Wood Tensei Orange stiff
Ping G410 Hybrid 22* & 26* Evenflo Black 6.0 stiff

Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex

Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Scotty Newport 2,  prov1x, Motocaddy M1

Didn't I read somewhere around here that cotton balls or yarn or similar inside the club head makes the club NON-conforming, i.e. illegal ?

First I'll admit that I do not know the "real answer" to this question. But if it's legal to put hot melt into a driver head I don't see why cotton/yarn would make the club head non-conforming. I'm sure that others who know better will chime in.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

First I'll admit that I do not know the "real answer" to this question. But if it's legal to put hot melt into a driver head I don't see why cotton/yarn would make the club head non-conforming. I'm sure that others who know better will chime in.

What I recall having read is that hot melt is FIXED (and therefore "permanent/not easily tinkered with). Yarn and cotton balls are not.

Titleist Pro V1X

I went from from G30 LST to the Max. Upgraded the shaft to the Tensei Pro white. Was fit for both drivers. Consistently hit the Max longer and straighter. Sounds better also. Very happy is an understatement.

Thanks for the info! As I believe the tip is the same, had you ever tried the upgraded shaft in the G30 to see the true difference between the heads?

Had a horrible driving day today with the Max. I had to bag it and go with the 3 stretch, which is almost as long as my Max and I feel I'm more consistent with. As always, it's the Indian and not the arrow. I did noticed though when I do miss (my usual out to in), it doesn't exacerbate my slice as much, which saved me from being out of bounds or in the trees today.

I was blown away by the G400 Max. At first glance it was not impressed with the looks, however the performance was just what I was looking for. A straight, high ball flight that helps me make the most of my pedestrian (for GolfWrx) swing speed of 90-95Mph.

Great Job Ping!

Driver PING 410 LST 9.5 degree

Ping 410 3  Wood 

PING 410 3 Hybrid

PING 410 Crossover  #4 

Titleist T300 Irons 5-PW

SM7 Wedges 50-56 and 60 degree

Scotty Cameron  Special Select Newport 2.5

Alright, I am tentatively in the G400 Max camp. I saw one pop up on the bay a little while back the Tour 65 regular flex shaft, and picked it up. I had already been fitted at a demo day for the G400 SFT, but that did not really translate to the course. So I had stuck with my Rogue Draw, which was sort of losing its luster and appeal.

In any case, I have been able to take my G400 Max out to the range, and out on the course for some testing, with the aforementioned current model Tour 65 R, and the previous model Tour 65 S, Fujikura Pro 63 S, and current stock Alta 55 CB S. The winner is the G400 Max 10.5*, little + setting, current model Tour 65 R shaft. When I put a nice, solid swing on it, the ball jumps off the face, feels great, and goes straight. I am expecting good things from this combo.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

I just sent an email to the USGA about this. I will let you guys know when I hear back.

Coming from a G20. The G400 Max with Tour 65 was better for me than every other club at the store. Tried all the shafts and weight configurations on all the others. For me the Max was the only one that really held its line. Driving isn’t my best attribute but this club is a big help.

Ping G400 MAX
Callaway XR 16 Pro 16
Callaway XR 16 Pro 18
Titleist 716 AP2
Titleist Vokey 52 F
Titleist Vokey 58 M
Evnroll ER5
Titleist ProV1

I just sent an email to the USGA about this. I will let you guys know when I hear back.

It’s been discussed here many times - anything that has the ability to move within the club would be deemed illegal or non-conforming. If you’re not playing in any USGA events/tournaments/etc, then cotton ball away.

Yeah, I play in a lot of tournaments. Men’s Club, some state stuff. Oh boy.

Actually, right here at the top it says "The clubhead must be generally plain in shape. All parts must be rigid, structural in nature and functional. The clubhead or its parts must not be designed to resemble any other object."

It doesn't mention the inside of the driver head but I think "must be rigid" or "structural in nature" covers it.

http://www.usga.org/rules/equipment-rules.html#!rule-14621

Titleist Pro V1X

Yeah, I play in a lot of tournaments. Men’s Club, some state stuff. Oh boy.

Actually, right here at the top it says "The clubhead must be generally plain in shape. All parts must be rigid, structural in nature and functional. The clubhead or its parts must not be designed to resemble any other object."

It doesn't mention the inside of the driver head but I think "must be rigid" or "structural in nature" covers it.

http://www.usga.org/rules/equipment-rules.html#!rule-14621

Thanks. I read that.

I hit my gmax great tonight in golf league. It was point and shoot. I didnt miss one fairway with the g400 max tensei orange pro combo. Much better than my g400 lst I gamed Saturday which I was missing left and had two block slices. Guess I need to do more testing. Or just sell the lst.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x