Pat Perez irons?

Hacker541 ·  
Hacker541Hacker541 North CarolinaMembers, Paid BST  61WRX Points: 20Handicap: 13Posts: 61 Bunkers
Looking through some photos for the QBE Shootout and I notice Pat Perez is still using Gen 1 irons? And not the tours either? Is this correct or are these something besides regular 0311's with different stamping? I've really been considering a set with the current pricing on the Gen 1's but I haven't pulled the trigger because I felt like they might offer the Gen 2's at a better price once all the old stock is gone. If there's not enough improvement for him to switch that might be the push I needed..

Posted:

Comments

• BirdieBobBirdieBob Member of the 1 iron Club! Members  4650WRX Points: 531Posts: 4,650 Titanium Tees
    Perez and Johnson both use GEN1 irons. They are fine irons with a softer metal construction than the GEN2.

The majority of the staff however has moved to the new GEN2 irons, both PGA and LPGA staff.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on

TITLEIST TS4 Driver, 9.5*, JDM Limited Edition 2016 Basileus AAA, 69g X
    CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5, 72g X/Ventus Black w/velocore, 65g X
    CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3+ Wood, 13.5*, Ventus Black w/velocore, 78g X
    CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3 Wood, 15*, Accra TZ6/M5, 80g X
    CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 5 Wood, 18*, Accra TZ6/M5, 90g X
    TAYLORMADE SIM MAX HYBRID, #3, 19*, Nippon Modus GOST Hybrid, 102X
    TAYLORMADE P-7TW, 3 - P, TW Lofts, DG AMT Tour White, x100
    PXG GEN2 0311X Black, #4 DI, DG AMT Tour White, x100
    PXG GEN3 0311T, 4 - P, DG AMT Tour White, x100
    PXG GEN3 0311 MILLED SUGAR DADDY, 50/10, DG AMT TOUR WHITE, x100
    VOKEY SM8 "BIRDIE BOB" CUSTOM BRUSHED STEEL, 54/10F; 58/8M, DG TI s400 ONYX
    BETTINARDI 20 Limited Edition Queen B #5 Black Series Putter, w/QB Black HC
    SCOTTY Cameron Custom "Murdered Out" Select Newport M2 Putter, w/SC Carbon CircleT HC
    NIKE Sport Lite Carry Bag, Black
    SUN MOUNTAIN 20 Tour Series Bag, Black
    STEWART Golf X9 FOLLOW Electric Cart, Black
    GARMIN Approach Z82, GPS/Rangefinder
    GROOVEIT Wet Brush

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • osubuckeyes691osubuckeyes691 Columbus, OHMembers  1230WRX Points: 379Handicap: 1.9Posts: 1,230 Platinum Tees
    We're you fit for the irons or just want them bc you want pxg? I hit them for quite a while at a fitting and found there's numerous brands that I personally hit more consistently and thought felt better. Obviously a lot cheaper too.

Can't recommend fittings enough
    Posted:
    Taylormade SIM 8* - Fujikura Ventus Black 6
    Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Fujikura Ventus 7x
    Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus 7x
    Srixon 745 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 - SST Pure
    Ping Glide 3.0 - 50SS, 54SS, 60Eye2
    Taylormade Spider X Tour - Stability Tour - Evnroll Gravity Grip   /   Yes! Sally12 Long Putter / Yes! Sally12 Std - Evnroll Gravity Grip
  • TrueWRXTrueWRX Members  2037WRX Points: 368Posts: 2,037 Platinum Tees
    Hacker541 wrote:

Looking through some photos for the QBE Shootout and I notice Pat Perez is still using Gen 1 irons? And not the tours either? Is this correct or are these something besides regular 0311's with different stamping? I've really been considering a set with the current pricing on the Gen 1's but I haven't pulled the trigger because I felt like they might offer the Gen 2's at a better price once all the old stock is gone. If there's not enough improvement for him to switch that might be the push I needed..

Correct. So Sharp looking in black
    Posted:

• veebs007xveebs007x Members, Sponsors  323WRX Points: 89Handicap: +4Posts: 323 Greens
    I am a +4.5 handicap and have worked in R&D/Tour department for a major OEM (trying to validate myself for the comment to follow)...i would NEVER buy the current club offering from a company....i know this comment will get blasted but I would always play the previous generation of clubs if I was paying retail.
    Posted:
  • thewralthewral Boston, MAMembers  300WRX Points: 50Handicap: 8.1Posts: 300 Greens
    veebs007x wrote:

I am a +4.5 handicap and have worked in R&D/Tour department for a major OEM (trying to validate myself for the comment to follow)...i would NEVER buy the current club offering from a company....i know this comment will get blasted but I would always play the previous generation of clubs if I was paying retail.

What do you mean? Is this a cost issue or a performance issue? Both?

I have both the GEN1s and GEN2s, and honestly I can't tell a difference. Maybe the GEN2s look and feel a touch better, but it's subjective.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 8.5*, Accra TZ6 M5
    Ping G410 14.5*, Ping Tour X
    Ping G410 2 Hybrid 17*, Tensei Blue 80HY X
    Srixon 785 4-P, PXLZ 6.5
    Fourteen RM-22 Tour 50*, 54*, 58*, Modus3 Tour 120S
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX  25657WRX Points: 828Handicap: GolfPosts: 25,657 Titanium Tees
    Many pros don't like to change out equipment once they get used to them. It needs to be way better than what they're using to make the change.
    Posted:
    G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
    G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
    Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
    (MY HYBRIDS, IRONS & WEDGES HAVE BEEN STOLEN BY MY SON)

Advertisement
  • KaexoKaexo Members  819WRX Points: 82Posts: 819 Golden Tee
    Perez and Johnson both used GEN2s for awhile but like James Hahn they all 3 have went back to gen 1s.

Perez plays the normal 0311s and XF in a 3 iron.

The Gen1s perform just as good as the Gen 2s. The gen2s have a slightly different look but performance is marginal at best.
    Posted:
  • mrmikeacmrmikeac Members  733WRX Points: 638Handicap: 6.5Posts: 733 Golden Tee
    Hacker541 wrote:

You really need a push from a PGA tour pro? You’re really basing your extremely expensive financial decision on which iron works best for a PGA pro? His definition of an "improvement" is probably completely different than yours. Pat probably hasn’t switched because he’s used to his current PXG’s....he’s not looking for something "better".....the guy is a great striker and he knows his yardages and gapping...
    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus, 9 Degree Head, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei Orange 60 Stiff
    3 Hybrid: Tour Edge Exotics CBX 119, 20 Degrees, Project X Evenflow Blue 6.5 
    3 Iron: Wilson Staff Model Utility, 21 Degrees, KBS Hybrid 80 Gram Stiff
    4-PW: Mizuno MP20 MMC, KBS $ Taper 120 Stiff
    50 Degree: Titleist Vokey SM8, Jet Black, F Grind, 12 Degree Bounce, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
    54 Degree: Titleist Vokey SM8, Jet Black, D Grind, 12 Degree Bounce, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
    58 Degree: Titleist Vokey SM8, Jet Black, K Grind, 14 Degree Bounce, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
    Putter: L.A.B. Golf B.2 Putter, 34” Stainless 
    Ball: Srixon Z Star 
  • KMo23KMo23 Members  162WRX Points: 43Posts: 162 Fairways
    Hacker

Gen 2’s won’t go down in price until Gen 3’s come out (whenever that will be as we waited three years for 2’s) PP plays a combo set of XF and 0311 no T irons.

Personally I prefer the feel on Gen 1’s and switched from 2’s back to 1’s.
    Posted:
  • Rig14PortRig14Port Members  945WRX Points: 267Handicap: +18Posts: 945 Golden Tee

We're you fit for the irons or just want them bc you want pxg? I hit them for quite a while at a fitting and found there's numerous brands that I personally hit more consistently and thought felt better. Obviously a lot cheaper too.

Can't recommend fittings enough

This is a new one... a backhanded PXG hate post.
    Posted:
    Cally Mavrik SZ 9.0* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70X
    Cally Mavrik SZ 15* HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
    Titleist U500 2 HZRDUS Smoke Black 90X
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW DG 120 X100
    Cleveland RTX 4 50*, 54*, 58* DG 120 X100
    TM Spider Mini Copper
  • dommerdommer Banned  101WRX Points: 2Handicap: +1Posts: 101 Bunkers
    PP fits the PXG brand/bill well, surprised he isn’t playing the Gen2’s as I would have thought he would have some influence in the development of the new stuff.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • ssfrannyssfranny Lefty Boomers  3074WRX Points: 328Posts: 3,074 Titanium Tees
    BirdieBob wrote:

Perez and Johnson both use GEN1 irons. They are fine irons with a softer metal construction than the GEN2.

The majority of the staff however has moved to the new GEN2 irons, both PGA and LPGA staff.

Your last name isn't Parsons is it? image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Posted:
    Kaexo wrote:

Perez and Johnson both used GEN2s for awhile but like James Hahn they all 3 have went back to gen 1s.

The Gen1s perform just as good as the Gen 2s. The gen2s have a slightly different look but performance is marginal at best.
    Kaexo wrote:

The Gen2 0311P look slightly smaller and less offset albeit minimal than the Gen1s
    Posted:
    veebs007x wrote:

veebs007x wrote:

Meaning not a substantial difference in performance to justify cost. IE TItleist 714 to 716 to 718 is there anything different?
    Posted:
  • evansmar004evansmar004 Members  76WRX Points: 0Handicap: +0.3Posts: 76
    I feel like anything at this point performs the same between generations. All marketing and sales.
    Posted:
  • soap1984soap1984 Members  761WRX Points: 108Posts: 761 Golden Tee
    I also got Gen 2s and went back to the Gen 1 irons. Can't explain why but I just got used to the Gen 1s and so never settled in with the new ones.
    Posted:
    Ping G410- Diamana BF 
    Ping G 410 - 17 and 19 Hyrbid
    Mizuno MP20 SEL - 4-PW
    Vokey SM7 50, 54, 60
    Newport 2

Advertisement
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members  2747WRX Points: 955Posts: 2,747 Titanium Tees
    ssfranny wrote:

veebs007x wrote:

veebs007x wrote:

Meaning not a substantial difference in performance to justify cost. IE TItleist 714 to 716 to 718 is there anything different?

Feel and feedback changed a lot from 714 to 716 and a little more from 716 to 718
    Posted:
  • KaexoKaexo Members  819WRX Points: 82Posts: 819 Golden Tee
    ssfranny wrote:

Kaexo wrote:

Kaexo wrote:

The Gen2 0311P look slightly smaller and less offset albeit minimal than the Gen1s

The 0311P is fairly larger compared to the 0311s so not sure where you see smaller. They do have less offset but the 0311s are about the size of the Gen 2 0311Ts.
    Posted:
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members  6491WRX Points: 195Handicap: 19Posts: 6,491 Titanium Tees
    I look at it this way PP knows what he likes, Bob is happy to have him on staff. PP plays and make more then i do, he can play gen1's all he wants. Personally i dont play their irons but think they are darn ****.
    Posted:
    TM M5 Tour 430 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
    TM SIM 19 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM GAPR Mid 4 iron 20 Fujikara Fuel
    TM GAPR Mid 5 iron 23 Aldila RIP 
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM Milled Grind Satin 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • norge5norge5 Members  1517WRX Points: 73Posts: 1,517 Platinum Tees
    veebs007x wrote:

That sounds like sound, practical advice on buying golf clubs. This has no place on this forum. Please refrain from inserting logic into any discussion of new golf clubs. It will not go over well. Now, tell me again how much further the new driver will go?
    Posted:
  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Members  1250WRX Points: 162Posts: 1,250 Platinum Tees
    veebs007x wrote:

I am +4.6 and I buy straight off the rack.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • norge5norge5 Members  1517WRX Points: 73Posts: 1,517 Platinum Tees

veebs007x wrote:

I like it. Simplifies things. When it comes to all the options shafts, lies, lofts, etc., ignorance is bliss. I was much more content when I thought the only option I had was the one on the wall. And if a club wasn't working, maybe it was me.
    Posted:
  • BarracudaBarracuda Ft LauderdaleMembers  598WRX Points: 85Handicap: 1.6Posts: 598 Golden Tee
    I did not liked gen1, turf interaction was a nightmare. Gen2 on the other side, is much better, distance control is better for me. Some people might not see a big difference between the two, for me it was night and day.
    Posted:
  • thewralthewral Boston, MAMembers  300WRX Points: 50Handicap: 8.1Posts: 300 Greens
    Kaexo wrote:
    ssfranny wrote:

Kaexo wrote:

Kaexo wrote:

The 0311P is fairly larger compared to the 0311s so not sure where you see smaller. They do have less offset but the 0311s are about the size of the Gen 2 0311Ts.

Comparing 0311 gen1 8 iron to 0311T gen2 8 iron. And comparing gen1 vs gen2 0311P 7 irons.

The T is still smaller in width of sole and length of blade than the gen1 Ps.

Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 8.5*, Accra TZ6 M5
    Ping G410 14.5*, Ping Tour X
    Ping G410 2 Hybrid 17*, Tensei Blue 80HY X
    Srixon 785 4-P, PXLZ 6.5
    Fourteen RM-22 Tour 50*, 54*, 58*, Modus3 Tour 120S
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2
  • MarcoPXGMarcoPXG Members  28WRX Points: 0Handicap: 8Posts: 28
    From having both the Gen 1’s and then switching to the Gen 2’s the biggest difference I felt was tighter dispersion ok hits off the heal and toe. Although the Gen 1’s are still fantastic clubs, the Gen 2’s helped me. Would the average golfer make the switch and pay the added costs, well that depends on them and their disposable income.
    Posted:
  • snagy2000snagy2000 Members  1882WRX Points: 414Posts: 1,882 Platinum Tees
    MarcoPXG wrote:

From having both the Gen 1’s and then switching to the Gen 2’s the biggest difference I felt was tighter dispersion ok hits off the heal and toe. Although the Gen 1’s are still fantastic clubs, the Gen 2’s helped me. Would the average golfer make the switch and pay the added costs, well that depends on them and their disposable income.

I agree. Dispersion and forgiveness has improved on Gen 2's. When I mishit I don't worry too much about results as the ball still gets out there just slightly offline. As for Perez, tour pros aren't looking for theses vast improvements as they usually wear a hole in the sweet spot on whatever irons they're using. Otherwise, they wouldn't be Pros. Switching to the newest toy an OEM throws out there doesn't really matter to these guys unless it significantly impacts their endorsement revenues.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • jmckjmck Members  4676WRX Points: 729Posts: 4,676 Titanium Tees
    norge5 wrote:

veebs007x wrote:

I like it. Simplifies things. When it comes to all the options shafts, lies, lofts, etc., ignorance is bliss. I was much more content when I thought the only option I had was the one on the wall. And if a club wasn't working, maybe it was me.

Dude just shot 63 at Q-school with the superintendent's driver, pro shop demo wedges, and some rando's irons. Almost like it's the Indian rather than the arrow, lol.
    Posted:
  • dunndunn Members  6362WRX Points: 163Handicap: 5Posts: 6,362 Titanium Tees
    Same can be said for

"The 15 hdcp who needs blades to work the ball".......

Posted:
  • ForTourUseOnlyForTourUseOnly Circle T Members  1199WRX Points: 205Posts: 1,199 Platinum Tees
    The XF is probably the biggest difference in the Gen1-Gen2, the profile size and offset are all different and you see less of the back end. I guess Pat still likes the look of the older one. Also the other main difference they changed not in performance but look was moving the sole numbers towards the toe so the paint doesnt wear out as fast.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5° w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist TS3 15° w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro Orange 90 TX
    Titleist 915Fd 18° or U·500 3i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold TI X100
    Titleist CNCPT CP-02 4i-9i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold TI X100
    Vokey BV HandGround SM8 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F, 54.10S, 60.08M w/ DG TI
    Scotty Cameron Roundback Select Tour Black 1.5 Weld Neck A-047769
    WITB Link

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.