Seniors Only. How far do you hit the ball?

A "young" senior at age 54. Haven't seen my distances change for the last 15 years or so. 7-iron is 155yds, PW 120 yards, Driver 250 carry. I think staying in shape is a big part of maintaining distance. I've been doing yoga since my late 30s (before it was in vogue) and that helped tremendously. First to get me off of Advil before and after every round. Second, to increase my range of motion.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

• 2 weeks later...

I read every reply to this thread and I’ve determined iim the oldest here at 78. Played golf off and on since I got out of h.s. Took off about 13 -14 years until I started playin again at 63. Had always been a good athlete, but really not a very good golfer. I have never lacked for good equipment. Developed leukemia in 2006, relapsed in 2008 but started playin regularity then. Fed to Arizona in 2013 and playe a lot out there. Been here in Indy for two an half years. Relapsed in April 2017 and have not se one foot on a fairway since. Still doing maintenance chemo every 6 weeks, three more treatments to go. Now that I’ve bored you to tears, I have been to the range 4- 5 times since August. I saw a yardage chart on here for each swing speed and the bottom 60 70 are pretty dismal. I went to the range yesterday with 4 and 5 woods, 6 and 8 irons from 4 or 5 different se5s of abut 15 that I have. The yardages o. The chart avr very close at 70 mph ironically the se out HAIG u.tras I posted believe it or not I hit easier and further than another except a senior graphite set I have every thing else is regular or stiff steel. Best 4 wood was a Ram Brute with a regular dynamite shaft . Never hit anything 150 yds. I have always enjoyed playing by myself and now really don’t know when I’ll hit the links, weather here being what I it’s soon to be. I do plan on playing the simulators and begin taking lessons. Why take lessons at my age you ask? Because like all diehard golfers, I want to play better! On the other hand, I thank God every day I’m still alive.

It's official. I am not only creeping up on 70 but lost some yardage. The driver averages 240 with moments of ground brilliance taking it to 250ish.

Lost about 6+/-yds on some irons. Two iron is down to 205yds, 3i is still 190, 4i at 180 but 5i, 6i, and 7i are a bit shorter. Short irons are still holding steady — the reason why I still love playing fast fairways and greens and going to the gym. Muscle atrophy is a b**** that never quits. :beach:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Is 50 a senior?

Depends on who you talk to and how they feel.

But no. :) : beach:

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Driver anywhere from 220-260

7 iron 155-160

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade 17' M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5

Royal M Taper 360's

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is 50 a senior?

NO! I would give most of what I own to be 50 again. I turned 72 yesterday. I have found that at about 68 $hit happens to almost everyone I know or have known. Enjoy your youth now. :-) Not a lot of distance but I can still shoot in the 80s.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Is 50 a senior?

NO! I would give most of what I own to be 50 again. I turned 72 yesterday. I have found that at about 68 $hit happens to almost everyone I know or have known. Enjoy your youth now. :-) Not a lot of distance but I can still shoot in the 80s.

If you'e lucky. If not, then it can happen 10 years sooner! black%20eye.gif

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

wow, this thread serves as a history lesson for me. When I first posted to this thread, I was 72 years old. I will be 77 in July 2019. I don't even want to go into my current numbers, but I have lost nearly 40 yards throughout the bag! It is interesting to go back and read all my prior posts, I noticed a gradual decline in distance, but really noticeable these past 18 months. I have not spent a lot of time on the course for actual play, but do maintain a practice regimen in the backyard. There are days when I am decent, others not so much. I had not posted much in this forum for quite awhile and only recently started popping in from time to time. I will more than likely show up here a little more frequently as I am restricted from posting on another forum. We shall see. Okay, what the heck...Driver estimate 180-190, 7 Iron 115 or so. Its really hard to say as I don't use a laser or an anything, but used GPS watch mostly to get distance to greens without tracking any particular shot. I rarely will get more than 4 or 5 G.I.R. but do get close frequently enough to have a one putt. Current index 20.7 but it should improve when the "bad" rounds drop off the chart. It may take awhile given I do not get out on the course more than once a month (or two).

• Like 2

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

Is 50 a senior?

I am a 100% Disabled Veteran, service connected from being a Navy/Marine Hospital Corpsman, and a 19+ year liver transplant. But I usually do not mention all that. I am hoping I can gain some distance with the irons I am getting tomorrow. 60 years of golf I cannot even think of quitting now. I wish someone had taught me a proper swing back then but I just love golf. :-)

• Like 1

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Going to claim senior status at 57. Feel old anyway. I can carry a well struck driver 220 - 225, but I don't go for max carry distance much. South TX firm turf doesn't impact low runners much and keeping the ball under the wind is important. Don't get to hit driver from the forward tees much, but do have a drivable par 4 that's fun to give it a go on (255 to the front).

Is 50 a senior?

I am a 100% Disabled Veteran, service connected from being a Navy/Marine Hospital Corpsman, and a 19+ year liver transplant. But I usually do not mention all that. I am hoping I can gain some distance with the irons I am getting tomorrow. 60 years of golf I cannot even think of quitting now. I wish someone had taught me a proper swing back then but I just love golf. :-)

Thank you for your service to our country!

• Like 1

7 rounds of data with Arccos...here's the numbers.

Driver average with 72 shots - 241 yards - carry and roll - outliers - 113 the shortest and 351 longest (hit it over a dogleg and probably hit it 260)

7i - 165 average with outliers at 182 and 174

If we meet up, I'm moving up a tee box and bringing a snickers.

:cheesy:

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

• 4 weeks later...

Watched several instructional videos that or seniors, let the left heel come off the ground when you swing. Looked at a Nicklaus video and when he hit the driver, his heel lifted, but on the irons, it stayed planted. I can only surmise that for the irons, it was for control and not distance. I do know that by lifting the heel, it does allow for better rotation and a bigger/longer back swing.

I’m 76 this year and have just got back from an 18 month break forced upon me due to medical issues one of which being a heart artery blockage and stent insert. The blockage was a result of drugs I was taking for twelve months for something else in 2017/8 . I have stiff shaft in driver and reg steel in irons.. In 2015/6 I was hitting around 200/210 with driver and 155sh with six iron. Now hitting with shortened backswing 210/220 and 170sh WHY? Well I was shocked in how strong And controlled I felt swinging a club (especially an iron) and can only put it down to the twice a week controlled cardio gym exercises I have been doing for last seven months . No weights just flat out on rowing machine and cross trainer (30 mins ea.) to get the heart rate right up there. I switch my grip around on each to work different arm and shoulder muscles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

will be 74 this year and into my 61st year playing this game..

.. had 5-stent angioplasty in 2007 and quadruple by-pass in 2009..

diagnosed with spinal lumbar stenosis about 5 years ago which is not a disease so not curable but can be managed --with paracetamols and anti-inflammatory meds..

this condition prevents me from walking long distances--more than 100 yds at a time--without pain in my lower back and right leg..

it can be lessened thru the meds mentioned but I still need to sit down between shots..

needless to say I need a cart to play.

have lost 25-30% of my distance vs my prime as a 3 hdcp..

drives max out at 200yds on level ground under normal conditions..

still enjoyable if I play courses at 6000 yds max..

have used the lightest clubs I can find and my 7W and 9W are ladies clubs..

my "real" irons start at no. 8..

see my signature..

PS..I play purely for exercise and social interaction nowadays..

if I feel I cannot make par or bogey after 2,3 or 4 shots on a par 3,4, or 5 respectively...I will just proceed to the next hole..

• Like 1

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

• 2 months later...

Very interesting forum with great longevity for us old s*** golfers . We all wish the distance thing didn't migrate somewhere else, but, oh well...

Now to the pertinent stuff: Serious golfer for 44 yrs. Age 73 in 3 mo.; Index 10.1; 5'11", 180. Equipment: Driver, Callaway Epic 10.5, 7 iron, Mizuno mp4. Data acquired between Feb. and June, 2019 at The Shoals golf facility, Muscle Shoals, Al. (both courses). Both courses are about 6150 from the whites. Avg. driver carry, 210-220 (215-225 with rollout). 7 iron, 135-140. All data was acquired with Garmin handheld .

Finally, two points. First, I don't consider playing the blues any longer (no pun there). Second, as a consequence, my scores are about what they were 20 yrs. ago.

I enjoyed reading how all of you have dealt with loss of distance; and responses and adjustments therewith to keep the game fun and yet, still challenging.

• Like 1

Age 67 here. How far I hit it is a mystery. Some days I am almost as long as ever, but I don’t know why. I *think* it is a mix of better swing mechanics plus confidence and freedom thru impact but hard to know because I cannot replicate it on demand. So for me on good days I carry driver 210-220 and 7 iron 145. On other days, more like 190-200/130. Beats me as to why.

• Like 1

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @TimV said:

> Nothing like the smell of Old **** Testosterone in the air. LOL!

>

>

>

> Let me pose a different question: Why does it matter?

It matters to those of us that are competitive to measure ourselves off peer's and or comparable skill level. Even when I was 40 and took up the game I wanted to know how far guys my age and better amateurs hit the ball with various clubs. My goal at the start was to be a single digit so knowing how far single digit golfers hit the ball helped me gauge my progression. However, now that I am in my late 60's, I measure my progression against guys twenty and thirty years my junior.

PS: In an earlier post I said my 2 iron was down to 205 and lost yards with irons. I am happy to share, all iron yardages have improved since installing PX 5.5. PX likes me. I am getting 210-215 yards with 2 iron and recently smashed it 228 yards. I like... :)

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

• 4 weeks later...

> @Pepperturbo said:

> > @TimV said:

> > Nothing like the smell of Old **** Testosterone in the air. LOL!

> >

> >

> >

> > Let me pose a different question: Why does it matter?

>

> It matters to those of us that are competitive to measure ourselves off peer's and or comparable skill level. Even when I was 40 and took up the game I wanted to know how far guys my age and better amateurs hit the ball with various clubs. My goal at the start was to be a single digit so knowing how far single digit golfers hit the ball helped me gauge my progression. However, now that I am in my late 60's, I measure my progression against guys twenty and thirty years my junior.

>

> PS: In an earlier post I said my 2 iron was down to 205 and lost yards with irons. I am happy to share, all iron yardages have improved since installing PX 5.5. PX likes me. I am getting 210-215 yards with 2 iron and recently smashed it 228 yards. I like... :)

I’m about 10 years your junior Pepper, but can relate. I played Project X 6.0 as well for many years. A couple years ago I my noticed iron yardages were down by probably half a club, and it seemed like it was getting to be more work to get results. I switched to 5.5 also, but in the LZ model. The change was dramatic. And although they don’t have quite that same Project X feel that I had come to love over the years, it’s not bad feeling by any means.

> @"deadsolid...shank" said:

> > @Pepperturbo said:

> > > @TimV said:

> > > Nothing like the smell of Old **** Testosterone in the air. LOL!

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Let me pose a different question: Why does it matter?

> >

> > It matters to those of us that are competitive to measure ourselves off peer's and or comparable skill level. Even when I was 40 and took up the game I wanted to know how far guys my age and better amateurs hit the ball with various clubs. My goal at the start was to be a single digit so knowing how far single digit golfers hit the ball helped me gauge my progression. However, now that I am in my late 60's, I measure my progression against guys twenty and thirty years my junior.

> >

> > PS: In an earlier post I said my 2 iron was down to 205 and lost yards with irons. I am happy to share, all iron yardages have improved since installing PX 5.5. PX likes me. I am getting 210-215 yards with 2 iron and recently smashed it 228 yards. I like... :)

>

> I’m about 10 years your junior Pepper, but can relate. I played Project X 6.0 as well for many years. A couple years ago I my noticed iron yardages were down by probably half a club, and it seemed like it was getting to be more work to get results. I switched to 5.5 also, but in the LZ model. The change was dramatic. And although they don’t have quite that same Project X feel that I had come to love over the years, it’s not bad feeling by any means.

>

>

I have been curious about LZ shafts. Can you explain further how PX LZ 5.5 feel to you?

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

> @Pepperturbo said:

> > @"deadsolid...shank" said:

> > > @Pepperturbo said:

> > > > @TimV said:

> > > > Nothing like the smell of Old **** Testosterone in the air. LOL!

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Let me pose a different question: Why does it matter?

> > >

> > > It matters to those of us that are competitive to measure ourselves off peer's and or comparable skill level. Even when I was 40 and took up the game I wanted to know how far guys my age and better amateurs hit the ball with various clubs. My goal at the start was to be a single digit so knowing how far single digit golfers hit the ball helped me gauge my progression. However, now that I am in my late 60's, I measure my progression against guys twenty and thirty years my junior.

> > >

> > > PS: In an earlier post I said my 2 iron was down to 205 and lost yards with irons. I am happy to share, all iron yardages have improved since installing PX 5.5. PX likes me. I am getting 210-215 yards with 2 iron and recently smashed it 228 yards. I like... :)

> >

> > I’m about 10 years your junior Pepper, but can relate. I played Project X 6.0 as well for many years. A couple years ago I my noticed iron yardages were down by probably half a club, and it seemed like it was getting to be more work to get results. I switched to 5.5 also, but in the LZ model. The change was dramatic. And although they don’t have quite that same Project X feel that I had come to love over the years, it’s not bad feeling by any means.

> >

> >

>

> I have been curious about LZ shafts. Can you explain further how PX LZ 5.5 feel to you?

Feel is so hard to describe in words, but I’ll give it a go.

They don’t have that really smooth, stable feel of the regular Project X. I switched out (or tried anyway) a lot of different shafts over the last 20 years, but nothing cold match that feel for me that the X gave. But I also think they demanded you put a good swing on them to give you good results. Which I was doing less and less of unfortunately.

I think the best analogy I can give for me and the LZ’s is the old constant weight shafts in the Callaway X-14 Irons. They were just “easy” to swing. That’s how I feel with the LZ’s. And I just can’t give up the performance now in order to get back a little of the feel.

Sorry, PT, a lot of rambling without much of an answer.

• 2 weeks later...