***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Why does golf continue to have a dress code?

Comments

• brycefazebrycefaze Members  124WRX Points: 60Handicap: 16Posts: 124 Fairways

I was playing a public town course the other day, a more upscale town course. The scorecard states "Proper golf attire required". However, when on the course, I was shocked how many people were playing golf with gym shorts and shirts on. This was on Sunday of Labor Day weekend.

At the end of they day the course seem to no longer enforce these rules, but me personally, I still feel uncomfortable if I am pulling up to a course with out a collard shirt on and proper golf shorts or pants....

Posted:
    • King Cobra F9 Speedback Driver 12 degree
    • Ping G400 5 wood
    • Titleist U510 - 3i 
    • Ping i210 4-w
    • Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50 and 56 degree
    • Taylormade Spider
    • Taylormade TP5X, Titleist Pro V1(x)
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • DrewBallinDrewBallin Members  113WRX Points: 58Posts: 113 Fairways

Like said above, times have changed.

Sure, private courses can/will do what they want and thats fine. I'm not a member. Public courses are just that, a course that anyone can go play.

I can agree that cut off jeans, shirts or whatever has a different place other than on a golf course, but
    reality is, if your paying, your playing. I personally dress comfortably nice, but won't look down on a person that might not be dressed "appropriate" to play a game.

Posted:
    In my Cobra King stand bag

driver-- Cobra King LTD with ust elements fire x-stiff shaft
    hybrids-- Cobra F6 2/3 & 3/4
    irons-- Cobra cb/mb 3-pw KBS c-taper 120 shafts
    wedge-- Cobra tour trusty 56*
    putter-- MLA tour mallet
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  5173WRX Points: 920Posts: 5,173 Titanium Tees

On -, @brycefaze said:

I was playing a public town course the other day, a more upscale town course. The scorecard states "Proper golf attire required". However, when on the course, I was shocked how many people were playing golf with gym shorts and shirts on. This was on Sunday of Labor Day weekend.

At the end of they day the course seem to no longer enforce these rules, but me personally, I still feel uncomfortable if I am pulling up to a course with out a collard shirt on and proper golf shorts or pants....

Courses are all over the place on dress codes.

I've seen signs that read, "Proper golf attire preferred".
    I've seen courses that required collared shirt under your jacket when it's 35°F out in the winter.

When I played in blue denim last year, it felt very weird.

Posted:
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members  10322WRX Points: 572Handicap: 12Posts: 10,322 Titanium Tees

this has to do with playing conditions. High temps and humidity can be murderous when playing outdoor sports. Choices would be early morning or after sunset. Can you wear band collar moisture wicking shirts at your club, no tee shirt and one size larger then needed.

Posted:
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P stnd. cord
    Mizuno T 7 52 T 20 56 &60
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
    Eureka Ca. 
  • tideridertiderider Members  3204WRX Points: 2,224Handicap: 5ishPosts: 3,204 Titanium Tees

because private clubs want to weed out those that won't do at least a minimum ... go to the muni in your track shorts if you want ... cubavera shirts are $25 and you can find any number of decent short for a similar amount ...

Posted:
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members  4374WRX Points: 390Posts: 4,374 Titanium Tees

Just about any place that's meant something to people will have either a posted or unspoken dress code.
    Golf is no exception.
    It'll never be like going to a swimming pool or backyard BBQ party. It's not quite like going to the house of God but, you get the drift.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 MaineMembers  20366WRX Points: 943Posts: 20,366 Titanium Tees

Times have changed, but the expectations of successful people who define them have not.

Posted:

Do you stick your nose in the air if random people say hi to you also? Golf isn't a secret fraternity.

I guarantee that if a tour pro or any well known person for that matter walked up to ANY club house wanting to stroke some clubs he/she wouldn't be turned away if they were wearing pajamas even. Dress codes.... Not sayin, just sayin.

Posted:

putter-- MLA tour mallet
  • StetsonStetson Members  2706WRX Points: 175Posts: 2,706 Titanium Tees

First and foremost I think golf attire is every bit as comfortable as Athleisure clothing. As for the initial question I believe that a CLUB should require “golf attire”, a muni not as much.
    There are members conducting business, weddings, etc. A club that removes the dress code will see a decrease in revenues as members perceive a decrease in membership quality.

Posted:
    Driver: Titleist TS3 (Changes Daily)
    5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
    3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Tour AD IZ)
    or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
    4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
    Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
    Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H
  • BMCBMC Members  3928WRX Points: 922Handicap: YESPosts: 3,928 Titanium Tees

On -, @DrewBallin said:

Do you stick your nose in the air if random people say hi to you also? Golf isn't a secret fraternity.

** I guarantee that if a tour pro or any well known person for that matter walked up to ANY club house wanting to stroke some clubs he/she wouldn't be turned away if they were wearing pajamas even.** Dress codes.... Not sayin, just sayin.

Not true. Certainly not at the private club I work at and many others. Upscale country clubs aren't impressed by celebrity and money. Many of the members fit that description. NHL player, Kid Rock, whoever, you must wear a colored shirt, we have a nice selection to choose from.

Posted:
    PING Rapture(OG) 10.5 driver
    PING Rapture 3 wood
    Cobra Pro hybrids 18 & 23
    Callaway '18 MB irons
    Callaway 56 SW
    Cleveland Classic #2 putter
  • PmookiePmookie Members  25WRX Points: 24Posts: 25 Bunkers

LPGA ladies get to wear skirts and shorts, and tops that are almost tank tops, but PGA guys have to wear pants when it’s hot! Ridiculous. Let them wear shorts, good gracious !

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @BMC said:

On -, @DrewBallin said:

** I guarantee that if a tour pro or any well known person for that matter walked up to ANY club house wanting to stroke some clubs he/she wouldn't be turned away if they were wearing pajamas even.** Dress codes.... Not sayin, just sayin.

Not true. Certainly not at the private club I work at and many others. Upscale country clubs aren't impressed by celebrity and money. Many of the members fit that description. NHL player, Kid Rock, whoever, you must wear a colored shirt, we have a nice selection to choose from.

We should all be good to go at your up scale country club then, I for one do have a colored shirt and I'm sure most people do. Everyone's money spends the same doesn't it?

I also think that your private club would give said higher profile people a colored shirts to wear so they didn't leave. Again not sayin, just sayin.

Posted:

putter-- MLA tour mallet
  • larrybudlarrybud Rochester Hills, MIMembers  11598WRX Points: 486Handicap: 3.4Posts: 11,598 Titanium Tees

Since when is putting on non-denim and a shirt with a collar getting "dressed up"??

Why do courses insist on this? Because it shows a sense of class, rather than having your clientele look like a bunch of drunken slobs, even if they are.

Posted:
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members  1503WRX Points: 760Posts: 1,503 Platinum Tees

On -, @larrybud said:

Since when is putting on non-denim and a shirt with a collar getting "dressed up"??

When jeans and a tshirt are normal everyday attire, non denim and collars are like dressing up. For those who wear slacks and collared shirts everyday at the office, it wouldn't feel like dressing up.

Posted:
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FLMembers  5881WRX Points: 1,452Posts: 5,881 Titanium Tees

It's really not that hard to dress appropriately. Beyond that, modern golf apparel is extraordinarily comfortable. What's the big deal?

You can always wear what ya want when ya go to Walmart

Posted:
    USGA Index: ~0

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • J13J13 Dad golf MarylandMembers  16625WRX Points: 1,625Handicap: +1.6Posts: 16,625 Titanium Tees

On -, @Pmookie said:

LPGA ladies get to wear skirts and shorts, and tops that are almost tank tops, but PGA guys have to wear pants when it’s hot! Ridiculous. Let them wear shorts, good gracious !

And why do we think that is? Certainly not traditional from a golf perspective but yet that's the norm out there. Funny how the traditionalists (aka old white men) have no problem with that but if a pga tour player wears shorts during a tourney round OMG the world will crumble and golf is dead. At some point common sense has to prevail.

Posted:
    Driver     -     Cobra SZ Xtreme 9* w/ Aldila RIPX 75TX
    3W         -     Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Aldila RIP Alpha 80X
    Hybrid   -      Callaway Mavrik Pro 20* w/ Project X evnflow black 85X
    Utility     -     Callaway Xforged 24* / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
    Irons      -      Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
    Wedges -      Callaway MD5 50S, 54S, MD4 60C
    Putter    -      Odyssey Versa 6
    Ball        -      Srixon Zstar XV

WITB & Content - 
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1108083/j13s-witb-2020-irons-podcast-pics-added-pg-101/p1

Instagram
    On -, @Jminis13

Advertisement
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers  13984WRX Points: 1,537Handicap: 8-ishPosts: 13,984 Titanium Tees

Go to a muni. Wear what you want. Join a club follow the rules. Life is great, you have choices.

Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
    Ping G 400 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Hoofer
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • PuttCurseRepeatPuttCurseRepeat It's a ball mark repair tool. Use it! Members  916WRX Points: 148Posts: 916 Golden Tee

Are there any private clubs which do not have a dress code? If so, I imagine it is strictly a golf club and possibly male only. I think Black Sheep, outside of Chicago, has a lax code, or perhaps none at all. I think it would be pretty cool to have a club confident enough in it's membership and exclusivity that they could eschew the formalities and be all about the golf.

Posted:
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FLMembers  5881WRX Points: 1,452Posts: 5,881 Titanium Tees

On -, @PuttCurseRepeat said:

Are there any private clubs which do not have a dress code? If so, I imagine it is strictly a golf club and possibly male only. I think Black Sheep, outside of Chicago, has a lax code, or perhaps none at all. I think it would be pretty cool to have a club confident enough in it's membership and exclusivity that they could eschew the formalities and be all about the golf.

Adios Club in Coconut Creek, FL, Gator Creek Club in Sarasota, FL, and Squires Club in Philadelphia. All are men's clubs with no dress codes. Interestingly, in my experience most who play there wear traditional golf attire anyway, with the exception of some pro athlete types who seem to have an affinity for cargo shorts. 🤔

Posted:
    USGA Index: ~0

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • Warrior42111Warrior42111 FloridaMembers  536WRX Points: 320Handicap: 19Posts: 536 Golden Tee

I get 'dressing up' to play a round at any course muni or private. It was the couple comments about having to be dressed up on the range that seemed ridiculous. If I'm just on the range whats wrong with gym clothes? I don't see how that's a bad look since you're on the practice facility.

Posted:

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 * |Mitsubishi Tensei CK White 70 X
    Ping G400 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Titleist 818 H1 20.5| Fujikura Atmos Blue 8X
    Callaway Apex 19 5-PW | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Clevelans RTX4 48
    / 54* / 60* |
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

• PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16996WRX Points: 1,082Handicap: 4-5Posts: 16,996 Titanium Tees

A nice appearance has nothing to do with spending a lot of money. That said, public practice ranges don't have dress codes, least that I am aware of, and I play in four states. Ranges at green grass locations, on the other hand, are influenced by the green grass course dress code. Muni course practice ranges are fairly flexible. Practice ranges at upscale courses, not so much. I encourage a dress code on nice golf courses and prefer being a member at a private club because I don't like looking at slobs as they don't fit into the surrounding beauty.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    Titleist 620 3i i95cw "S"
    Titleist 620 4i-PW, Steelfiber i110 "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber i125 "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1 & AVX

Advertisement
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers  13984WRX Points: 1,537Handicap: 8-ishPosts: 13,984 Titanium Tees

On -, @Pepperturbo said:

A nice appearance has nothing to do with spending a lot of money. That said, public practice ranges don't have dress codes, least that I am aware of, and I play in four states. Ranges at green grass locations, on the other hand, are influenced by the green grass course dress code. Muni course practice ranges are fairly flexible. Practice ranges at upscale courses, not so much. I encourage a dress code on nice golf courses and prefer being a member at a private club because I don't like looking at slobs as they don't fit into the surrounding beauty.

When in Rome...........

Posted:
    Ping G400
    Ping G 400 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Hoofer
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • KMeloneyKMeloney Members  5094WRX Points: 348Handicap:[email protected] 7Posts: 5,094 Titanium Tees

On -, @Warrior42111 said:

I get 'dressing up' to play a round at any course muni or private. It was the couple comments about having to be dressed up on the range that seemed ridiculous. If I'm just on the range whats wrong with gym clothes? I don't see how that's a bad look since you're on the practice facility.

Is the range on the grounds of a golf course with a dress code?

Posted:

I have played a lot of golf at all kinds of courses, from snooty private old money courses to small town country courses with no clubhouse where you drop $8 in a bucket on the first tee. ( I enjoy them all for what they are) I am a member of a membership package that runs multiple private or semi private clubs and I always dress "appropriately" when at one of those. I also live down the street from 2 municipal courses and I will often drive over to hit a quick bucket on weekends wearing athletic wear or a T-shirt after mowing the lawn. It's all about fitting it to your environment.

Posted:
    Ping G400
    Ping G 400 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Hoofer
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • Warrior42111Warrior42111 FloridaMembers  536WRX Points: 320Handicap: 19Posts: 536 Golden Tee

On -, @KMeloney said:

On -, @Warrior42111 said:

Is the range on the grounds of a golf course with a dress code?

More of a in general statement for public/ semi private (private obviously have their own rules you pay for). My thoughts on this is more on growing the game. Say a friend or kids if you have them want to learn the game. The first place you take them is the range. Why not let them wear athletic clothing and then if they want to play the course get the polo and shorts.

Posted:

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 * |Mitsubishi Tensei CK White 70 X
    Ping G400 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Titleist 818 H1 20.5| Fujikura Atmos Blue 8X
    Callaway Apex 19 5-PW | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Clevelans RTX4 48
    / 54* / 60* |
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

• jwhite86jwhite86 ClubWRX  1027WRX Points: 390Handicap: 12Posts: 1,027 ClubWRX

I'm amazed at the amount of guys I see on the course actually dressed to play... considering how I see people dressed when showing up to weddings/ funerals etc

Posted:
    WITB
    Driver: TS2 10.5 - Diamana DF 60 TX
    3 Wood: 915 F 16.5 - Blueboard
    Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17º w/ Even Flow
    816 H1 21 - Blueboard
    Irons 5-PW: 765 - PX LZ
    Wedges: 50º Ping Glide 2.0
    54º, 60º PXG 0311 - KBS
    Putter: Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277 

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1651462-jwhite86-witb/

Advertisement

On -, @jwhite86 said:

I'm amazed at the amount of guys I see on the course actually dressed to play... considering how I see people dressed when showing up to weddings/ funerals etc

Golfers as a whole are probably a bit classier in terms of dress than the average funeral attender. I get the world is more casual than the 1950's when people wore a suit and tie to a ball game or golf tournament, but what I see some people were to a church or wedding is somewhat perplexing. I am the guy who hates wearing a tie, but I do when appropriate. I guess people these days are more concerned about showing off their tats than dressing appropriately.

Posted:
    Ping G400
    Ping G 400 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Hoofer
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • LaznastyLaznasty The Amazing Golf Ball Whacker Guy Valparaiso, IndianaMembers  825WRX Points: 261Posts: 825 Golden Tee

On -, @DrewBallin said:

On -, @BMC said:

On -, @DrewBallin said:

We should all be good to go at your up scale country club then, I for one do have a colored shirt and I'm sure most people do. Everyone's money spends the same doesn't it?

I also think that your private club would give said higher profile people a colored shirts to wear so they didn't leave. Again not sayin, just sayin.

Are you talking about a colored shirt or a collared shirt? Because theres a difference. Not sayin, just sayin.

Posted:
    Ping G410+ -- VA Nemesys
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 5W -- AD-DI 70x
    PXG 0317x 22° -- Nippon G.O.S.T.
    PXG 0311P 4-Gw --Nippon Modus 120x
    EPON Tour Spin Wedge 54° 58° -- shimada tour wedge
    Lamb Crafted Camden -- BGT Stability Tour
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members  2656WRX Points: 1,048Posts: 2,656 Titanium Tees

On -, @monkeyboy said:

My club is pretty low brow, yet still have to wear collared ****, etc.

>

thoughts?

Change the rules at your club or change clubs.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members  11965WRX Points: 1,712Posts: 11,965 Titanium Tees

There's no dress code in the Rules of Golf. Any dress codes you encounter are entirely up to the course (or driving range or whatever) you happen to want to play. There are a couple of scruffy courses I know of in my town where you'll see guys wearing stuff I wouldn't wear to be out digging a ditch in my backyard. And as for driving ranges, I don't know of any standalone driving ranges where there's a dress code other than not allowing people to be barefoot.

If there's some place with a dress code you don't like, go play somewhere that suits you instead. If you can't find any place to play that will let you wear what you like, maybe reconsider some of your lifestyle choices.

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.