The New Ventus Black

mjbaker80

I’m not quite in your ball park ball speed wise but close. Due to some swing changes I’ve actually started looking for more spin through the bag which in a million years you’d never convince me that would be the case.

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

I try to tell people all the time. Spin is your friend. People chasing that sub 2000 spin are crazy. It can be fun on a launch monitor. But it’s not really playable in real life.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Yup. I never want to see my spin dip below 2,000 on anything but toe mishits. 2,300-2,500 on center strikes and hovering around 2,000 on high strikes.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Hey all - been a long-time reader of golfwrx and this is my first post so go easy! I know I'm a little late to the party regarding the Ventus Black but I wanted to give my feedback in case anyone currently considering this shaft has the same concerns that I initially had.

For reference - my SS can get up to around 120 when I really go after it but my average is probably closer to 115. I'm 6'1, about 165 pounds and I don't have a particularly hard transition. For the past several seasons I have been playing Tensei Pro White 60 TX tipped 1" in various TM driver heads with decent success. I always liked the easy-loading feel of the Tensei White, but I decided I wanted to look into something a little more stable to help mitigate left misses. After getting good results at a CC fitting, I recently ordered a Mavrik Sub-Zero (9*) with Ventus Black 6 X (tipped 1").

When I first ordered the club a part of me was still a little concerned that this might be too much shaft for me. I usually tip my driver shafts 1" and (because my most common miss is left and I did originally want something that felt more stable than my previous setup) I decided to tip the Ventus 1" as well. Still - with all the comments about how stable this profile is and how tipping is not recommended - I sometimes started to worry that tipping it as much as my Tensei would somehow turn it into an unusable telephone pole.

Not only have these concerns turned out to be entirely unfounded, I have so far been absolutely BLOWN AWAY by the feel and performance of this shaft. Even after tipping 1" the shaft doesn't feel too stiff to me - just stable. It's a difficult feeling to describe. The shaft feels like it loads the same way on an 80% swing as it does on a 100%+ swing if that makes sense. It will handle all that you have to throw at it without being too boardy to load properly when you don't go after it with everything you have. It definitely doesn't have anything like the kick of the Tensei I played previously, which I thought might throw off my timing at first but I haven't seen any adverse effects at all. When tested back to back against my old driver, my strike pattern has certainly been far more consistent with the Mavrik/Ventus combo. I haven't had any issues with launch or spin being too low either - based on the few rounds I've been out on the course, both appear to be right in the window that I look for with a driver. I'm also hitting tee shots to parts of the course that I usually don't see until July, which feels strange in a very good way.

TLDR - I would encourage anyone who is worried that this shaft profile is a little too stiff for them to give it a shot. I know several thousand people have probably already said this on this forum BUT the Ventus Black is truly the real deal - and not just for players swinging 125+ mph

TSR4 9* w/ Tensei 1K White 60 TX

SIM2 Ti 15* w/ Ventus Black 7X

T200 3i w/ Ventus Black 9TX

T100 4i, 620 MB 5i-9i w/ DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Raw 46.10F @ 47*, 52.12F, 56.10S, 60.06K/60.04T w/ DG TI S400

Special Select Newport 2 w/ YSC

Could anyone advise that has played the hzrdus smoke green 6.5tx 60 and moved to the ventus black 6 x what they felt the difference was the smoke green for me some days is great other days i can't seem to hit the middle of the face or find my timing have been testing hzrdus smoke black 60 6.5 tipped an inch and strike is more consistent but feels very very loose does the ventus fall somewhere between these shafts feel wise or are they very different. around 113-118 ss the last year with very aggressive transition if that helps

Titleist tsr3 8* C1 Diamana zf60tx 44.75”

Ping g425 LST 14.5 Diamana zf70tx 42.5”

PXG gen 2 5 wood 18* Diamana TB80tx 41”

PXG GEN 2  hybrid 22* Ventus blue 9x tip 1.5 inch 39”

Mizuno mp20 MMC 5-pw kbs c-taper 130X

Mizuno t20 50* kbs c-taper 130x

Mizuno ES21 54/58 kbs c-taper 130x

Ping Sigma G Kushin 33" custom flat cat svelte 

-prov1x

It sounds like trying something more linear and stiffer would be a good idea, and the Ventus Black is indeed that. On paper, the Ventus Black reads like a more linear version of the Hulk TX, and when someone has on and off problems with finding their timing using a shaft that is very non-linear, like the Hulk, trying out a more linear "one piece" feeling shaft is wise.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Bridgestone 

thats great thank you would you say that the ventus has more feel than the hulk tx as that i think is what I'm after the black smoke has quite a pronounced feeling of load it feels to me like its doing far to much if that makes any sense i assume this translates to me as loose and out of control even though the end results are not bad i just feel like i can't really attack the ball with it i play green dot adaptors at minus two as i have always hit driver very high and have no issues with launch and spin with either the ventus on paper seems like it would be great fit?

-prov1x

I couldn't tell you as I have not compared them. Each person's definition of "feel" can vary quite a bit as well. The standard HZRDUS Smoke Black is pretty much softer all the way through when compared to the Smoke Green TX, and the Ventus Black falls between them. Everything else will have to be determined by your own testing, good luck!

Bridgestone 

Have used Ventus Black and Smoke Green "Hulk" 6.5 (not the TX version) and Smoke Green felt terrible to me. My preference is a stiffer feeling shaft with not much noticeable hinge, but the Hulk just felt all kinds of wrong and was awful for me, again emphasis on me. I will throw in the disclaimer that I really like the original hzrdus line with the T1100 being one of my favorite shafts ever.

Ventus Black has been very good for me. Much more feel than comparably profiled shafts while still being extremely stable. The interesting thing about Ventus Black is it doesn't launch all that low for me but still feels really tight and gives that "point and shoot" feeling where you know the direction isn't going to stray too far from your target line.

Not knowing your swing, make sure you get the tipping right on Ventus Black - would advise going longer and try it out with no tipping at first and then dial it in if necessary.

Yes, 6s in driver, 7s in 3w, both untipped.

previous shaft in both smoke 60/70. 6.0

i have had it in the driver back to late last fall, love it, launch and spin not so different, ball just seems to hold the line better with Ventus Black, also feels smoother.

i have only had it in 3w a few weeks, not sure I see as much improvement in the Fwy wood

awesome shaft

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Yes, I have the 6S in my driver.  It is a good shaft that handles an aggressive swing very well.  I find dispersion to be better with it, than most shafts.  It has a linear feel to it, and less of a kick than many other shafts.  I previously played a Tensei Pro Orange, which is an equally good shaft.  I am not sure if the Ventus is any better than the PO, but they are both great shafts.  PO maybe higher launching than the Ventus Black, but otherwise pretty similar feel and performance, at least for me.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

Sounds promising.

I just recently left 'blue' profiles in driver, and have been playing with the ATMOS Black TS and Pro 2.0 TS both in 60/S. I didnt find either shaft difficult to handle and have been hitting some of my best drives with them, so hopefully the ventus is equally a good performer. I hit up on the ball pretty well when it's tee'd up.

I have to mentally remind myself to take smooth/controlled swings when I play golf or else i really go at it in the downswing. If the ventus is as good for smooth swings as it is aggressive swings - as everyone has been saying - it could be a great shaft match for me both when I'm trying to have tempo and when I forget.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

thank you gents I'm going to order the ventus 6x and not tip it as @Fujikura Golf say its unnecessary played today and i can't live with the smoke black it just feels to loose hit it 6 times on course and missed 1 fairway by a couple of yards but it still felt like i had very little control to much load and flexing hit the hulk in the range and wow it has some really long balls in it but theres just some swings where my timing gets completely lost and it will cost me shots out on the course

-prov1x

Something that has been mentioned, but worth touching on again for people looking at the Ventus Black. Most have tried the Atmos TS Black in some form which is a good shaft to compare. The Ventus line follows a similar profile, but there is a big difference in handle stiffness between the 60 gram and 70 gram shafts. You can see the Ventus 6X has a softer handle than both Atmos 6 and 7, while the Ventus 7 X has a firmer handle than Atmos. The other factor is balance point. Measured from the tip, the balance point in inches: Atmos 6X, 23.68 Atmos 7X 24.18 Ventus 6X 24.41 Ventus 7X 25.29 (for comparison Tensei PO 60TX 25.37 ). So the balance point will shift about an inch higher from Atmos to Ventus, which will have a measurable impact on swingweight.

image.png

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

So is the ventus black 70x almost as counterbalanced as the pro orange 60tx? I haven’t been able to hit any of the pro orange or atmos shafts in an x or tx pro/tour spec version as there not available. All I find local places having are watered down stock reg and stiff shafts and I’m not really surprised as a large majority of golfers I play golf with think fittings are pointless and anyone paying extra for a shaft is a shaftoid!

-prov1x

The Ventus Black isnt as a counter balance shaft.

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 14* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

The heavier weights are. Not quite as counterbalanced as their equivalent counterparts in the Pro Orange (to answer @Latetogolf76's question), but pretty close when you go up one weight class (Ventus Black 70X is similar to the Pro Orange 60TX). The large increase in butt stiffness that @cw1209 mentioned naturally raises the balance point in to what would be considered high/counterbalanced.

Bridgestone 

quick question would the ventus black 7x have similar profile to the oban kiyoshi white 65 05 all be it a little firmer in the butt/tip and the extra weight?

-prov1x

• 3 weeks later...

Well I really didnt want to unseat the Pro 2.0 TS in my driver, but I think the Ventus Black might have done it. What a great shaft - so far. Only played 18 today but EVERY drive was in the fairway. I couldnt miss. The way this shaft plays with both a smooth swing AND also a faster/uncontrolled swing when going after it is just awesome.

Only got to hit my Ventus Blue in 3w 2-3 times so not much experience there yet, but it seems like a nice shaft as well.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Had the original Rogue Silver 110 70-x in the 3 wood & just put the Ventus Black 7-X in it, tipped 1/2”, which is standard.

What a game changer - trajectory is much more consistent & it’s been really good so far. The Rogue I could sky sometimes & was useless in the wind for me. This is a great fit in the 3w so far.

I prefer HZRDUS Black in the driver tho - it’s a bit more stable for me than Ventus Black

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5”

2023 Titleist T100 (4-GW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

Post that confirms???

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5”

2023 Titleist T100 (4-GW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"