Any single digit guys playing Cleveland CBX2 wedges?

hammergolf

With my regular wedges I open them wide, but maybe the CBX2 you’re not supposed to open so much?

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

I have put 2 in my bag this year. A 52 bent to 51 first, it has been awesome. Then tried a 54, haven't seemed to be as automatic as the 51, but am warming to it. I also have them bent flat, which seem to help for me. I grew up playing a wide sole Hogan sand wedge, the CBX2 reminds me of it.

My lob wedge is a old Ping Eye 2 sand wedge which is 57.5 degrees, paid 10 bucks for it, it may never leave the bag. Good off the turf and had transformed my sand play from very below average to above average

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Finally got the new CBX2 wedges out to the range and course. 1st impression is very good. 54 is very forgiving and am seeing consistent distance (exactly what I was looking for as this club will be used for full swings 90%+). The 58 full face is a little hotter off the face around the green than my Ping Glide was so I have to get used to it. Out of the sand has been solid as well. No skulling or digging issues just need to get the feel for it. So far so good.

• Like 1

Using the CBX2 in the 50 and the 54*. The 54* went in first, and it was love at first swing. The 50* was a bit more complex, I had played the same model 50* wedge for 5+ years, I knew my yardages, inside and out, knockdown and 3/4 cut. I knew I was going to hit a good shot every time I put it in my hand. I didn't even want to try the 50* CBX2 for a few months. Finally I did and it is going better than it has gone with any other 50* I have tried, and since I cannot find any more of my old 50* it was time to find a replacement.

I tried the 58* and the 60* and because of the way my technique works they weren't what I wanted. RTX 4 in my 58 and 62* wedges.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

• 1 month later...

I've got about ten rounds in now with the 54* CBX2 and it's been a game changer. Previously had a Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* and kept fighting the chunks. I'm a big PING guy but I finally decided to gamble on the CBX2 and it's paid off.

Classic case last night was getting up and down for a birdie from 50' from a bad lie in the rough. No way I make the same shot with the Glide.

Full shots have plenty of height and the face offers plenty of zip. Great club.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I am struggling to find info on laying these things open; 10 to 30 degrees.  I hit every pitch shot with an open face and hit the ground before the ball.  I try to just let the bounce do its thing.  I have been using Vokeys for a few years and have become quite good at my technique.  My miss is short, with an opened 58*.  Should these be a consideration?  I was thinking about picking up a high bounce 54* and opening it up around the greens.  It would also fill the SW slot in my Hot Metal set.  Is anyone opening these things around greens to play high pitches?

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting this thread once again - 

Does anyone who's played the CBX2 notice any significant distance jump over a more traditional blade style wedge loft for loft?  Meaning if hit a typical blade wedge 100yds on a full swing you might see a little more distance out of this club all other things being equal?  Just curious curious if the hollow body construction gives it more "springy face" similar to players distance irons? 

I'm currently playing SM7 50F, 54M, 58M but got this set to fill out OG P770s with 46* PW.  I've recently switched to New Levels 902 playing off of 44* PW and now have a gap between the 44*-50*.  Could try a few things:

- bend the 50* to 48*, but this thing isn't the most forgiving on full-swing misses to begin with

- go to 48* CBX2, would be most preferred option, but if there is a distance jump on them over the SM7 might need to just go with a 50*

- go to 50* CBX2 and if wasn't hitting my gaps bend a degree or 2 stronger, reducing bounce, which these seem to have plenty of already

Suggestion?  I'm not in love with the SM7 50*, but would probably hang onto the 54* and 58* as I really like the M grind and low bounce for finesse shots around the green.  I rarely ever play full swing shots with either of them either so don't miss the center as often 

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

A lot of rave reviews here so sorry to be the voice of dissent. I've tried them & found them tough to control around the green. Ball came off very hot & I found them tough to control distance-wise. I'd play in a gap wedge but not in anything that's more touch shots oriented. 

Some combo of any or all:

Ping G400 LST 10* w/ Px Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
Rogue SZ 15* w/ Px Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
Cally 416 19* Hybrid w/ Diamana S+ 82g Stiff
4-PW: Callaway (OG) Apex w/ KBS PGI 80g / Bridgestone J40 Combo 4-P w/ Steelfiber i95 Stiff
52*, 56* Vokey SM5's

60* Wilson Staff
Ping Ti Anser Wrx

I have CBX2 in 52 and 56.  Love the 52, have made quite a few chip-ins with that club.  Still learning the 56...that spot rotates frequently between with some 58* Glide 2.0 and 3.0 wedges that I have.   I haven’t notice any weird distance issues with the clubs, but I do feel like I get slightly better spin from the Pings for that second wedge spot.  

Mine are still in the bag, and the Cleveland full face has replaced the ping as my lob wedge.  

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Best wedges I have tried of the seemingly million in my closet. They have been in my bag for a year now. Quite a while for me. Distance is spot on for me in all shots. I could see using a traditional wedge for finesse shots around the green though but I don’t carry a club for just one shot when I have another that performs well. BTW, I don’t see any issues with “hot” chips around the green or anywhere else for that matter. Somethings only practice will cure. 

22 hours ago, halliedog said:

Resurrecting this thread once again - 

Does anyone who's played the CBX2 notice any significant distance jump over a more traditional blade style wedge loft for loft?  Meaning if hit a typical blade wedge 100yds on a full swing you might see a little more distance out of this club all other things being equal?  Just curious curious if the hollow body construction gives it more "springy face" similar to players distance irons? 

The opposite. I found the CBX2 wedges to fly lower and several yards shorter than a Vokey of the same loft.

With conventional wedges, I've always seen very little difference in full swing distance. Give me a 50-degree Vokey or the same loft in a Taylormade MG2, Callaway Mack Daddy, Cleveland RTX and they'll all go somewhere around 100 yard or maybe a couple yards less with a normal, stock full swing.

Give me a 50-degree CBX2 and it's about 90 yards typical and maybe 95 absolute max. With a noticeably lower ball flight than a conventional wedge. Same holds for a lower loft (pitching wedge) or high loft (for instance a CBX Full Face 56 goes barely 75 yards which would be typical of a 58-degree Vokey).

P.S. Don't take the above comments as meaning I hated the CBX2/CBX Full Face. The Full Face especially I really liked a lot. I just found that I needed a couple degrees stronger loft to get the same distance as the wedges I've usually played. No big deal.

Edited by North Butte

I've been using my CBX 54 and 58 for three years now.  Great distance control and traj on mid to longer shots, and a lot of checking.  I play a type of hop and run shot 95% of the times and the club really delivers, very predictable.  Greenside it is a superb all arounder.  I think the head and bounce work to create a lot of confidence.  The only shot hard to get is the very very short hop and stop.  But in my case I almost never need that shot so I don't care.  

I played Vokeys for a number of years but I don't miss them at all.  In fact, when I replace my wedges I will buy CBXs again.  

7 hours ago, North Butte said:

The opposite. I found the CBX2 wedges to fly lower and several yards shorter than a Vokey of the same loft.

With conventional wedges, I've always seen very little difference in full swing distance. Give me a 50-degree Vokey or the same loft in a Taylormade MG2, Callaway Mack Daddy, Cleveland RTX and they'll all go somewhere around 100 yard or maybe a couple yards less with a normal, stock full swing.

Give me a 50-degree CBX2 and it's about 90 yards typical and maybe 95 absolute max. With a noticeably lower ball flight than a conventional wedge. Same holds for a lower loft (pitching wedge) or high loft (for instance a CBX Full Face 56 goes barely 75 yards which would be typical of a 58-degree Vokey).

P.S. Don't take the above comments as meaning I hated the CBX2/CBX Full Face. The Full Face especially I really liked a lot. I just found that I needed a couple degrees stronger loft to get the same distance as the wedges I've usually played. No big deal.

Thanks for the reply.

So I couldn't wait for replies and just went ahead and bought the CBX2 48* yesterday right after I posted asking for suggestions 😬.  Figured I can find a way to make it work.  So I took it to the range, great conditions, hardly a breath of wind.  I found similar to you - the 48* CBX2 was on average going only about 4-5 yds longer than the 50* Vokey.

Since my new 902 44* PW is going about 125 I was hoping the CBX2 48* would put me in the 115 range, but was closer to 105-108, and the 50* Vokey is about 98-101 which I can live with.  I would've expected to see about 7-10 more yds out of the CBX2 based off of loft alone.  I do love everything else about it (turf interaction, feel, forgiveness, appearance), and am not at all upset about the purchase.  Thinking I'll give it another try once the weather is nice again and if I'm still seeing the same results.  If I am I can either try bending it a degree or 2 strong, or just flipping it for a 46*, and bend the 50* to 49*  It would be kind of weird looking in the bag going 44/47/49, but I guess who cares if the gaps are consistent?

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

10 hours ago, halliedog said:

Thanks for the reply.

So I couldn't wait for replies and just went ahead and bought the CBX2 48* yesterday right after I posted asking for suggestions 😬.  Figured I can find a way to make it work.  So I took it to the range, great conditions, hardly a breath of wind.  I found similar to you - the 48* CBX2 was on average going only about 4-5 yds longer than the 50* Vokey.

Since my new 902 44* PW is going about 125 I was hoping the CBX2 48* would put me in the 115 range, but was closer to 105-108, and the 50* Vokey is about 98-101 which I can live with.  I would've expected to see about 7-10 more yds out of the CBX2 based off of loft alone.  I do love everything else about it (turf interaction, feel, forgiveness, appearance), and am not at all upset about the purchase.  Thinking I'll give it another try once the weather is nice again and if I'm still seeing the same results.  If I am I can either try bending it a degree or 2 strong, or just flipping it for a 46*, and bend the 50* to 49*  It would be kind of weird looking in the bag going 44/47/49, but I guess who cares if the gaps are consistent?

I went from a ping g2 54 to a 54 cbx2. I would say i lost about 10 yards of distance but im deadly accurate and hitting the ball extremely high. Im happy but definitely less distance than I expected 

I currently play to a 0.3 and just picked up a 50 and 54 CBX2 and 58 Ripcore.  I will be out on the course this weekend and let you know how it goes.  Wasn't planning on getting new wedges, but popped into Edwin Watts and they just looked good.  Got the black in all three.  

• Like 1
  • Taylormade Qi10 LS at 10.5° - Ventus TR Blue
  • Callaway Ai Smoke Triple D (3) 15° - Project X Denali Blue 70
  • Callaway Ai Smoke Triple D (7) 20° -  Mitsubishi Tensei Blue
  • Ping G Crossover 4 - Mitsubishi MMT
  • Srixon ZX5 MKII Black Chrome 5-W, A
  • Titleist SM10 55°F , 60°M
  • Taylormade Spider Tour Z

11 hours ago, Peterman6068 said:

What’s everyone’s opinion on the full face 58° vs the cbx2 58°? I don’t flop a lot, but can you open up the cbx2 when needed?

I don’t care for full face wedges but I do have the CBX2 58 and I can hit any shot with it. Open face, full shots, low hop and stops. Excellent off tight lies or from the rough. A lot of forgiveness across the face. They don’t dig. Shots caught higher on the face don’t lose as much distance. I also have a Vokey sm6 54 s grind in the bag and the two wedges complement each other well. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

4 hours ago, sneaky_pete said:

Playing off 2 at the moment and still gaming the original CBX in 46, 52 & 58 degree lofts.  Love these over traditional wedges for the forgiveness and therefore the consistency I get from these, especially on full shot mishits.  Won’t go back to “traditional” wedges ever.

Have you tried a full face cbx? Curious about that Vs the regular for the 58. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ought the 58* full face and it instantly became my favourite club. Full shots are very consistent. It is money from 35to 40 yards. Easy out of sand and no trouble hitting the lower driving wedge that checks up.

way more forgiving than other wedges and at address looms near identical to TM hi toe except for the gunmetal colour .

I just purchased the CBX2 in 54 and 58. I've only played one round with them and have already benefit from the design. I did notice they were 5-7 yards shorter than my Mack Daddy 4. But my mack daddy's have KBS 610 Wedge S+ so I'm switching the shafts and hoping that fixes it. I hit the MD4 54 around 105 yds and was closer to 97 or so. 

Around the green I was able to use 58 just like the MD4. I had concerns of opening the face but was able to just fine. I didn't try any flop shots, I never do, but just adding loft is not a problem. For chipping and pitching they are round savers. I should have switched to these much sooner. 

Any one else playing a shaft other than the stock true temper wedge flex?

(I play around a 9hc)

I have CBX2 in 50* and 58*.  Zero complaints - love everything about them.  I did try their full face, but did not like it as well and quickly went back to my CBX2 58*.  My buddy (he's probably around a 12) loves his full face though. 

Ping G430 LST 10* 

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 15*

Titleist U505 18*

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 5-L

Cleveland RTX Full Face 64/09

Ping PLD Oslo 3

Taylormade TP5

16 hours ago, Bar_Stroll said:

I just purchased the CBX2 in 54 and 58. I've only played one round with them and have already benefit from the design. I did notice they were 5-7 yards shorter than my Mack Daddy 4. But my mack daddy's have KBS 610 Wedge S+ so I'm switching the shafts and hoping that fixes it. I hit the MD4 54 around 105 yds and was closer to 97 or so. 

Around the green I was able to use 58 just like the MD4. I had concerns of opening the face but was able to just fine. I didn't try any flop shots, I never do, but just adding loft is not a problem. For chipping and pitching they are round savers. I should have switched to these much sooner. 

Any one else playing a shaft other than the stock true temper wedge flex?

(I play around a 9hc)

I got to thinking about my lost 5-7 yds I'm seeing.  My new "PW" is 44* and + 1/2" with KBS Tour V, SW D5.  I was comparing the 48/52* CBX2 with the stock DG 115 at stock length and wasn't seeing the distance gapping I was hoping for.  Also SW was lighter about 3 SW points with the CBX2s. 

Just last night installed some KBS 610 Wedge S and cut them to same length as PW and adjusted SW to same in all 3 (D5).  Also have all 3 bent to same lie (66* - 2 flat) and put same grips (midsize Gripmaster Roos) on the CBX2s.  Now they all 3 should be about the same "specs", other than actual head design and lofts.  Will see what this does for my gapping.  

If the weather holds I'm playing 36 Fri and Sat and 18 Sun, so should have 90 holes in with them by next Monday and can report back with results.  (I'm playing to around a 6hc).

• Like 1

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

I've been playing a CBX2 48 since December and the 52 (bent to 53) and 58 for the last 2 months. For me the CBX2s are a tick longer than my Vokeys, at the exact same lofts. Call it 2 yards carry, maybe 3. I've also adjusted the swing weights. 48 is D4 and 53/58 are at D5. 6 handicap currently.

Rogue ST LS 10.5 | TSi2 15 | G425 4H 20.5 | ZX4 4 | ZX5 5-P | CBX ZC 48 & 52.5 | Glide 2.0 Stealth 58 | Itsy Bitsy Spider | TP5x