G-MEN UNITE

ShortSticks

Used to be a Gman here, G2-G30.  Stopped at the G, felt and sounded terrible. Passed on G410-425. I don’t want to come off as a hater cuz nothing would please me more than returning to the fold. Currently using PXG Gen3 XP’s.  Got really pumped to hit the new G430 and, to me, the sound is still a let down.  It’s better than the 425 but it still sounds like the ball is being split in half.  Unless you’re hitting a low compression ball, it’s disappointing to me.  Am I the only one who feels this way? My brother just got the G430 irons and he loves them.  I wanted to get them too but just can’t pull the trigger right now. Is it just me?

1 hour ago, BirdieRoll said:

Original G25 owner here. They are still in the bag almost a decade after purchase (for all the reasons noted above).

With the love affair for them on this thread, you guys have almost 'shamed' me into not looking at the G430. But I still think I'll find my way into a hitting bay at some point this year.

Don’t be shamed. I played g25 for six years and they were great. Tried all

the clubs after them and nothing was better - until I got the g410. They were a club longer and my dispersion was tighter. After three years I’ve come down every year despite less practice and Saturday shot scratch for 9 holes for the second time ever (second time in six months - I’m off 12). They’re good clubs and they’re not going anywhere as I’ve said before.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade Myspider Tour X  
Taylormade speedsoft

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

18 hours ago, john myrbch said:

I keep reading that my Gen 3 XP irons are loaded with Ping DNA because Bob hired away a few of their designers. I’m not sure I agree.
I had a set of G25’s (loved them) but foolishly sold them for  a set of G’s (I hated them. The finish, the feel… ugh) which turned me off on the series.

I then played a set of Rogue X until last year when I jumped on the pxg $99 per club deal with MMT shafts.

Looking at the specs of the G430, I’m thinking they might be the perfect combo of G forgiveness and Rogue X pop due to the same lofts.

Anyone hit the 430’s yet and can you give your thoughts as how they compare to earlier G versions?

Thanks.

Yeah, there is something about the pre-face thinning, no ferrule G series. I had the 5's and 15's prior to the G. 

Weird how much you disliked the G's compared to the 25's. A little clicky, but feel fine and as far as looks I think they are behind only the 425's out of the ferrule models.

As far as the 430's I have to agree with @Nessism, the loft gaps kill it. I need fewer options, not more. I am sure they are great performers.

• Like 4

Hit my G10's today vs my new G400's. Both are great but the 400's are far easier to hit, they go higher and at least 6 yds longer club for club. I know the lofts are stronger but every club goes longer and higher. I'm 57 now and these 400's might be my last iron purchase. Very very happy. Also loving the feel of the Modus 105's, great shafts for my swing.

• Like 3

TM Stealth 3W

TM 200 Steel 5W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

On 2/20/2023 at 10:01 AM, boggyman said:

I played Rogue X a bit couple years ago. I went PW, AW, then straight to a SW, skipping the GW with no problem whatsoever. Just seem to hit my number with less effort, per the lofts I presume. Miss that set. They had Recoils in them. 

They were a great set of irons for me. I wish I’d kept them instead of selling them as cheaply as I did.

• Like 1

CALLAWAY AI Smoke Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

TITLEIST SM9 54-10

TITLEIST SM9 58-8

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

On 2/20/2023 at 10:47 AM, sharkiesj said:

Used to be a Gman here, G2-G30.  Stopped at the G, felt and sounded terrible. Passed on G410-425. I don’t want to come off as a hater cuz nothing would please me more than returning to the fold. Currently using PXG Gen3 XP’s.  Got really pumped to hit the new G430 and, to me, the sound is still a let down.  It’s better than the 425 but it still sounds like the ball is being split in half.  Unless you’re hitting a low compression ball, it’s disappointing to me.  Am I the only one who feels this way? My brother just got the G430 irons and he loves them.  I wanted to get them too but just can’t pull the trigger right now. Is it just me?

On 2/19/2023 at 10:15 PM, john myrbch said:

I keep reading that my Gen 3 XP irons are loaded with Ping DNA because Bob hired away a few of their designers. I’m not sure I agree.
I had a set of G25’s (loved them) but foolishly sold them for  a set of G’s (I hated them. The finish, the feel… ugh) which turned me off on the series.

I then played a set of Rogue X until last year when I jumped on the pxg $99 per club deal with MMT shafts.

Looking at the specs of the G430, I’m thinking they might be the perfect combo of G forgiveness and Rogue X pop due to the same lofts.

Anyone hit the 430’s yet and can you give your thoughts as how they compare to earlier G versions?

Thanks.

Apparently not, lol

CALLAWAY AI Smoke Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

TITLEIST SM9 54-10

TITLEIST SM9 58-8

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

On 2/20/2023 at 10:16 AM, BirdieRoll said:

Original G25 owner here. They are still in the bag almost a decade after purchase (for all the reasons noted above).

With the love affair for them on this thread, you guys have almost 'shamed' me into not looking at the G430. But I still think I'll find my way into a hitting bay at some point this year.

Had me some g25s when they came out.  At the time I had a pretty bad OTT move and was fitted into white dots. Took lessons and then they became hook machines.  Now I have a more neutral swing and wished I still had these.  They were the model that went from the really big soles of the g20’s to a slightly slimmer profile 

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________

:taylormade: Qi10 Max 12* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5R

PING G430 SFT 5w 19* | 7w 22* Alta CB Black (set to +/Flat)

Exotics Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design Tour G

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke HL 6-AW True Temper Elevate 85R

PING Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* | Smart Sole C 4.0

PING PLD Anser 2D

16 hours ago, erock9174 said:

Had me some g25s when they came out.  At the time I had a pretty bad OTT move and was fitted into white dots. Took lessons and then they became hook machines.  Now I have a more neutral swing and wished I still had these.  They were the model that went from the really big soles of the g20’s to a slightly slimmer profile 

You could have kept the clubs and had them refit-my friend bought a set whilst he was a high handicap with a wicked slice, got some lessons then the pro refit his irons.

Only cost him postage from what I remember (this was early last year) and he’s happy as Larry.

Edited by philly2kuk
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade Myspider Tour X  
Taylormade speedsoft

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

Been playing the i210s the last few years and gave a set of 425s a test the other day.  With their reduced pricing with the 430s out I think I am going to order a set.  Have struggled with the 6 and 5 in the 210s getting consistent performance and with the 5i on the 425s even on bad mishits I was still getting near top carry distance.  Think I am going order a set of 425s this week.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2023 at 12:55 PM, starrman77 said:

Hi, my name is Paul and I'm a g-aholic. Went from G10, to G15, to G30 and now G425's. I'm not proud of myself for making the game easier but that's my story. I can't go back now.

First step is admitting ….. …. .. . 

• Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________

PING PLD Anser 2D

On 2/27/2023 at 4:16 PM, Liquid_A_45 said:

Been playing the i210s the last few years and gave a set of 425s a test the other day.  With their reduced pricing with the 430s out I think I am going to order a set.  Have struggled with the 6 and 5 in the 210s getting consistent performance and with the 5i on the 425s even on bad mishits I was still getting near top carry distance.  Think I am going order a set of 425s this week.

I came from i200’s to g425’s. I struggle with launch and spin and liked that the i200’s I had spun and launched.  They were actually  power spec lofts. When I went to g425’s I wanted the same height and spin so I went retro lofts which make them the same lofts as the i200’s power spec’d.  

• Like 1

PING PLD Anser 2D

I went from i20 to G425 two years ago and in addition to better dispersion, I also got more stopping power.

Better descent angle was one part of it, but the spin was also very good (higher than i20 for me at same loft).

(I'm shallow so I have always been a low-spinner.)

Only drawback is feel and sound, but I prioritize performance!

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym 10.5° Hzrdus Silver 50g stiff

Ping G400 SFT 3W 16° set to 15°

Ping G400 SFT 5W 19° set to 18°

Ping G400 SFT 7W 22° set to 21°

Ping G425 6-UW

Ping Glide Forged 54°

Ping Glide Forged 56°

Ping Glide Forged 58° bent to 60°

Scotty Cameron GOLO 5R

On 2/28/2023 at 6:09 PM, erock9174 said:

I came from i200’s to g425’s. I struggle with launch and spin and liked that the i200’s I had spun and launched.  They were actually  power spec lofts. When I went to g425’s I wanted the same height and spin so I went retro lofts which make them the same lofts as the i200’s power spec’d.  

Sooo...I went in this morning to hit a set of 425s against my i210s just to compare before I pulled the trigger. Fitter had me warm up and asked why I wanted to switch as he had just fit me into the i210s a few years ago.  Told him I was looking for something easier to hit and more forgiveness.  He says how about we spend about 30 minutes working on some grip and posture tweaks and then see if you still want new irons.  So we ended up doing a mini lesson and I spent $30 instead of $800 lol.  Age old tale of indian not the arrow, sure there was some forgiveness and distance to gain but not enough to justify spending the money on new irons.

• Like 4

I want to love the G irons, but really struggle finding a shaft that I like.  Because of age/injuries, I tend to gravitate towards graphite.  I think that the swingweight and shaft weights tend to be low, however, and my tempo is quick.  I actually have an old set of I3OS that I hit more consistently.

I have tried the G425.s in R flex graphite, S flex graphite as well as AWT 2.0 in R flex.  I was more consistent with the steel, but end up hurting.  I also had the G400 in R flex graphite.  Tempo was inconsistent, but I hit those better than the 425's.  

Anyone find a graphite shaft that works well with the 425<s?  I'm trying not to dump them already, but am much more consistent with the I,s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, counselor said:

I want to love the G irons, but really struggle finding a shaft that I like.  Because of age/injuries, I tend to gravitate towards graphite.  I think that the swingweight and shaft weights tend to be low, however, and my tempo is quick.  I actually have an old set of I3OS that I hit more consistently.

I have tried the G425.s in R flex graphite, S flex graphite as well as AWT 2.0 in R flex.  I was more consistent with the steel, but end up hurting.  I also had the G400 in R flex graphite.  Tempo was inconsistent, but I hit those better than the 425's.  

Anyone find a graphite shaft that works well with the 425<s?  I'm trying not to dump them already, but am much more consistent with the I,s.

There are lots of mid-weight graphite iron shafts.  Can you reshaft yourself?  If so, the worlds your oyster!  

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I went into a 2 month slump starting the year. I'm playing my way out with G25's.

• Like 4

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade 17' M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5

Royal M Taper 360's

6 hours ago, TallerGolfer said:

I’m a G man, G series irons. 

I’d like to try some hybrids, G of course, but I’m on a tight budget. 

Should I save up and get G series hybrids, or would older, say back to G25 be better than nothing?

I did manage to get a G30 driver for a good price but haven’t played since I bought it. 

G25 hybrids are fantastic, still my favourite shaped ping hybrid other than the Ansers, but so easy to hit.

• Like 2

Any G series iron users (perhaps G425) using the set SW and LW?  How does the SW work for bunker shots?  Seems like with the beveled sole it would play similarly to say a Cleveland CBX wedge (about the same size and profile as the G425 set wedges).

Right now I play retro spec G425 6-UW with Alta CB Slate Reg flex.

I thought back to some Cobra T-Rail irons I had with Modus 105R shafts in them.  The Cobra wedges were amongst the best I've ever hit a UW and SW so I thought about adding the G425 SW and LW with Modus 105R as I think choking down on partial shots and chips with the Graphite Altas would start to feel too light.  Right now I have some Mizzy es21 wedges but they feel a bit heavy and clunky with the 115g KBS shafts in them. For $114 each, the set wedges seem like a pretty good price.    

• Like 1

PING PLD Anser 2D

1 hour ago, erock9174 said:

Any G series iron users (perhaps G425) using the set SW and LW?  How does the SW work for bunker shots?  Seems like with the beveled sole it would play similarly to say a Cleveland CBX wedge (about the same size and profile as the G425 set wedges).

Right now I play retro spec G425 6-UW with Alta CB Slate Reg flex.

I thought back to some Cobra T-Rail irons I had with Modus 105R shafts in them.  The Cobra wedges were amongst the best I've ever hit a UW and SW so I thought about adding the G425 SW and LW with Modus 105R as I think choking down on partial shots and chips with the Graphite Altas would start to feel too light.  Right now I have some Mizzy es21 wedges but they feel a bit heavy and clunky with the 115g KBS shafts in them. For $114 each, the set wedges seem like a pretty good price.    

I use my G25 SW and have never had an issues hitting it out of the sand.  I use it instead of a standard wedge because I prefer it for full shots and chipping.  I also carry a standard 58* wedge when I need to carry the ball a little further and want less roll out.  Bottom line for my skill set, I have never felt the G25 SW held me back.

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

I’m the same as @DE-ILLINI except I play G30’s and I find mine very useful on longer bunker shots.

• Like 2

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

I have G Series irons with a PW and later I added a LW; 45 and 58 respectively. There is a UW and a SW at 50 and 54 available. 

I need something in between but these are hard to find in my spec; green dot, senior graphite shafts. 

I found a Gmax UW and SW but they are 50.5 and 56 respectively. A bit odd but there’s no LW for that set. 

ideally I’d like a 52 to split the difference. I could bend the Gmax UW to 52 or the G’s up or down to 52. 

In the meantime I could just add another 52 wedge until the find one of these. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Maluka said:

Maybe it won’t last and I’ll be back hitting my srixons next month but this time I’ll keep them in the garage so I can go back to them whenever I like.

I just bought some Srixons this year to replace my trusty Ping Gs in the bag. Did it for much the reason it sounds like you left your G25s years ago, I got better and wanted something that looked and felt nicer and more consistent with my image of what someone with my new handicap plays. However, I’ve learned from the experience of you and other WRXrs and am keeping the Gs in the garage just in case I decide I’m better off going back. I always found them easy to hit and they are frankly a major part of why my handicap dropped to where it is. Time will tell if they return to the bag. 

• Like 1