SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

So I know it doesn’t mean much when compared to a full swing,but a basic bounce test on concrete , the MTB Red bounces lower than every other ball in my garage and it’s not even close.

What that means for performance I don’t know but I think it would mean you need to add a little speed on longer putts to get the ball to the hole ?

Just a silly, stupid pointless observation.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

FWIW the MTB Red definitely wasn’t any shorter than the QStar Tour I used to play. Long irons and woods were probably longer but it was a pretty small sample size. The adjustment is more on wedges because the ball spins so much you have to think about putting it past the hole. I tend to always try to make my errors short of the hole so it’s a matter of just picking a longer yardage for my target. As in, if the pin is in the front and my gps says 124 front and 135 center I normally would take the front yardage and add a few yards - the MTB Red wants me to take the center yardage. That’s only with wedges though I think. Again, small sample size.

Looking forward to trying it out more this weekend!

Not sure if this was mentioned before , but Dean says tour players have come to him and wanted to play his ball but wanted money in return. Interesting

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

If you just read Dean's comment throughout this thread he has addressed that many times.

The MTB Red should be similar to the MTB black off the driver and in the short game. Differences are mostly in full swing irons and wedges where the MTB Red should spin a good bit more.

The MTB Black will feel softer (or at least it has lower compression) and you may find it has a very slightly lower spin off the driver and/or slightly lower trajectory overall. But those are minor differences. The big thing is iron and full wedge spin, the whole purpose of the Red was to offer more spin on those shots.

Thanks! Not to be snarky, but I didn't read through a 124 page thread hoping the owner of the company would be clarifying the difference... I expect that information to be prominently featured on the website.

It's actually listed on the blog once I dug down into it... I just expect such information to be quickly and easily available as a consumer. I'll probably start with a box of the black and see what happens.

We have several videos as well on the site to help educate the consumers on the differences in performance... we had a launch video as well that was front and center when we launched 9 months ago that explained the differences.. the products have the descriptions of each ball and its features... also if you go to website and sign up via email (you do not need to buy anything), you will receive emails from us most weeks with lots of technical stuff about golf balls in general to help consumers... sorry i did not respond last week, was away for the week and back today.. now leave tomor morning for the world am.. if anyone is going, please be sure to stop by our booth at the 19th hole and say hi... thanks..

If you just read Dean's comment throughout this thread he has addressed that many times.

The MTB Red should be similar to the MTB black off the driver and in the short game. Differences are mostly in full swing irons and wedges where the MTB Red should spin a good bit more.

The MTB Black will feel softer (or at least it has lower compression) and you may find it has a very slightly lower spin off the driver and/or slightly lower trajectory overall. But those are minor differences. The big thing is iron and full wedge spin, the whole purpose of the Red was to offer more spin on those shots.

Thanks! Not to be snarky, but I didn't read through a 124 page thread hoping the owner of the company would be clarifying the difference... I expect that information to be prominently featured on the website.

It's actually listed on the blog once I dug down into it... I just expect such information to be quickly and easily available as a consumer. I'll probably start with a box of the black and see what happens.

We have several videos as well on the site to help educate the consumers on the differences in performance... we had a launch video as well that was front and center when we launched 9 months ago that explained the differences.. the products have the descriptions of each ball and its features... also if you go to website and sign up via email (you do not need to buy anything), you will receive emails from us most weeks with lots of technical stuff about golf balls in general to help consumers... sorry i did not respond last week, was away for the week and back today.. now leave tomor morning for the world am.. if anyone is going, please be sure to stop by our booth at the 19th hole and say hi... thanks..

Thanks for the response! I will be ordering some black soon here. Probably will order some of the red for my dad for his birthday and give them a whirl next time I see him.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I played the MTB ball for about a year and a half before the Black and Red were released so I was excited to try these 2 new balls out. So I first started with the black because it was similar to the MTB and I wanted to see if I could tell any differences. Well not sure what was going on the day I first tested the black but it was dead feeling. My drives had no feel, no spin and low launch. I wasn't hitting them very good or very far so i just left it at that.

On to the Red. I absolutely love the feel of this ball off the tee with driver and off the putter. It has great feedback and a very firm feel that reminds me a lot like the Chrome + which is the ball that I played prior to the MTB. Used the Red for a few rounds getting much better distance off the tee than my original testing of the black and irons seem to be about the same so I was quite pleased. So I thought I was good to go with the Reds until I started to play a little better (been struggling with my swing) and shots were spinning way too much. I have never spun a ball like the reds ever. A little bit of an over draw on a shot the ball was hitting the green and shooting dead left and spinning back some and I felt I had no control of a shot and this started to get in to my head. After spinning way too many balls off the greens it was time to put the red down.

So back to the Black. Well my swing seemed to be much better and my irons have been crisp so I decided to commit to the black and I'm glad I did. This ball is amazing. Long and soft off the tee (prefer the feel of the red) and my iron distances have never been so on. I am aiming for flags I have no business going for and pulling off shots that have impressed my playing partners. I have so much confidence with this ball it is unreal. I just got fit for a new driver a month ago (Ping G400 max) and the black is performing very good off driver for me now and I definitely needed the equipment change. Played a course with soft bent greens yesterday and I backed up every short iron shot with the blacks and I never considered myself a high spin player. The Black is here to stay and I doubt I'll try to replace it until Dean comes out with the next version of it. Thank you Dean!

Brandon

Tried the blacks today. They were serviceable, but not my favorite ball. Really good on full shots, left a lot to be desired in the short game. Putter feel is firmer than my usual ProV1x and definitely noticably less spin on chips and short game overall. But the putter was definitely the hardest part to get used to. Considerably hotter off the putter. I hit a few back to back with my normal ProV1x and very different on distance control. Couldn't be as aggressive with the putter as I typically like. Will be testing the Reds in my next round. I'd play a Snell Black if I found one on the course but I won't be buying them in bulk.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

It was funny to watch yesterday in our Pro am. I watched our pro glance at my ball on the green as he walked past, pause for a moment, and then step back to look a little closer at he brand and see what it was!

He never said anything (although that's not a surprise as he barely spoke to us all weekend). I should have offered him one with the suggestion that maybe it would help his game.

Well after having played a couple more sleeves of Snell's and using different colors of Sharpies to mark them, I can definitely say the ink has something to do with how quickly it fades. I use mostly green and red. After a few holes, the green gets considerably faded or washed off by the dew on the grass, whereas the Red ink does not.

The same with either the Snell Red or Black. So I'll be using red ink to mark my ball from now on.

I marked the balls with my usual ID mark and noticed that the finish is somewhat different than other urethane balls such as Bridgestone and Callaway. Those 2 seem to have a slight tacky feel to them and the Snell is slippery.

Anyone else notice this and can comment on it?

Quasi, were those Reds? I haven't tried to mark any of mine (one of the niceties of playing yellow balls), but Red has a different cover than Black and I could see where the TPU cover of the red would not take marker as well.

Im using a Red color sharpie to mark my Snell Red golf balls. The ink stays on the cover and it didnt fade AT ALL. Even playing early with a little dew on the grass.

Before I switched to Snell, I played the Chrome Soft and used a green sharpie. My mark was always faded even after just a couple of holes.

I dont know if its the ink or the cover on the ball, but I can tell you for sure, a red sharpie on the Snell Red works great. Ive not tried any other color sharpies yet. I might test a couple this weekend.

Well after having played a couple more sleeves of Snell's and using different colors of Sharpies to mark them, I can definitely say the ink has something to do with how quickly it fades. I use mostly green and red. After a few holes, the green gets considerably faded or washed off by the dew on the grass, whereas the Red ink does not.

The same with either the Snell Red or Black. So I'll be using red ink to mark my ball from now on.

I marked the balls with my usual ID mark and noticed that the finish is somewhat different than other urethane balls such as Bridgestone and Callaway. Those 2 seem to have a slight tacky feel to them and the Snell is slippery.

Anyone else notice this and can comment on it?

Quasi, were those Reds? I haven't tried to mark any of mine (one of the niceties of playing yellow balls), but Red has a different cover than Black and I could see where the TPU cover of the red would not take marker as well.

Im using a Red color sharpie to mark my Snell Red golf balls. The ink stays on the cover and it didnt fade AT ALL. Even playing early with a little dew on the grass.

Before I switched to Snell, I played the Chrome Soft and used a green sharpie. My mark was always faded even after just a couple of holes.

I dont know if its the ink or the cover on the ball, but I can tell you for sure, a red sharpie on the Snell Red works great. Ive not tried any other color sharpies yet. I might test a couple this weekend.

I've never found a green Sharpie (dark green, light green, olive) that doesn't fade on a golf ball almost immediately. It's weird but it's definitely a thing.

So, I used the MTB Black for a 5 round golf outing on 5 different courses and my best hopes about this ball were confirmed... I had the best drives of my life with this ball. So much so that my original plan to test my other new favorite ball (the AVX) didn't happen because I was too scared to take the MTB Black out of play. I really need to give the AVX a fair comparison, but superstition got the better of me... I didn't want to stop a good thing.

I think the driving was, frankly, down to me, but the first course had rock hard greens, and while others were unable to control release on those greens, I could hold them just fine.

The only issue I found is that a single encounter with a tree limb or cart path would leave irreparable scarring... They looked pretty bad where other balls would hold up much better.

Do I care? Nope. Love these balls.

Yeah I remember the video, it was like a 20 minute video for Golfwrx I believe. It was cool video answering all the questions people had.

Definitely worth checking out. Touching on basically everything golf ball related, refurbs, used balls, MTB etc. it was a good video.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

So, I used the MTB Black for a 5 round golf outing on 5 different courses and my best hopes about this ball were confirmed... I had the best drives of my life with this ball. So much so that my original plan to test my other new favorite ball (the AVX) didn't happen because I was too scared to take the MTB Black out of play. I really need to give the AVX a fair comparison, but superstition got the better of me... I didn't want to stop a good thing.

I think the driving was, frankly, down to me, but the first course had rock hard greens, and while others were unable to control release on those greens, I could hold them just fine.

The only issue I found is that a single encounter with a tree limb or cart path would leave irreparable scarring... They looked pretty bad where other balls would hold up much better.

Respectfully, I will beg to differ regarding durability. If you'd like you could refer back a few pages to the single Black I played10.5 rounds with hitting trees all along the way.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I really need to try these out.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Respectfully, I will beg to differ regarding durability. If you'd like you could refer back a few pages to the single Black I played10.5 rounds with hitting trees all along the way.

No doubt that was your experience, but I will say, as somebody who loves this golf ball, that my experience was not yours. I had three balls beaten up with one hit. I'm pretty sure I kept at least two of them and can post pics.

Playing in the fairways though, they stayed as pristine as any other premium ball. I'd put Srixon at the top in this category, but the MTB Black was as good as anything else out there...

No doubt that was your experience, but I will say, as somebody who loves this golf ball, that my experience was not yours. I had three balls beaten up with one hit. I'm pretty sure I kept at least two of them and can post pics.

Playing in the fairways though, they stayed as pristine as any other premium ball. I'd put Srixon at the top in this category, but the MTB Black was as good as anything else out there...

with your 300 yd drive, what ball can last?

I have only played one full 18-hole round with a single MTB Black throughout (in addition to a few holes in other rounds here and there). The ball looked to be in good shape but not totally pristine.

I took it easy and didn't hit it with any 300-yard drives (although I did get a couple of them out there 215+) but it most likely encountered surfaces such as sand, wood and concrete at various points during the round.

So back was healthy enough to play today so gave the MTB-Red a full test drive - here are my thoughts which match up to most others.

Driver: The ball is equal to other tour balls off the tee. I was hitting a little lower than normal which might not be the ball but distance was acceptable.

Long irons / Hybrids: Once again no real difference vs other tour balls.

Mid-irons (8-6): Excellent trajectory, good feel and normal distance, maybe a couple yards shorter than others but could have been conditions at play.

Short irons (GW-9): This is where I noticed some extra spin and when the wind could play a factor. Might lose 5 yards but the trade off is extreme stopping power. might be 1/2 club shorter than the competition.

Wedges: The ball excels from 100 and in. Easy to control the ball flight, low trajectory and spins like crazy. This could hurt you or help you depending on your game. This characteristic makes this ball a great choice for hard, fast greens that can be hard to hold. In soft conditions it doesn't give me an advantage but gives you the confidence to go after pins an know it will stop.

Putter: Nothing special but not bad either. Little firm , maybe even slightly dead feel. On slow greens you really need to be aggressive with this ball.

Overall - Great ball for those who need more greenside spin or for when the conditions are really fast. Not my choice for windy conditions but a keeper and good to have in the bag. For everyday play I would probably go with the MTB-Black based on feel but great ball and it comes in Yellow so the red is still a great choice.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

So back was healthy enough to play today so gave the MTB-Red a full test drive - here are my thoughts which match up to most others.

Driver: The ball is equal to other tour balls off the tee. I was hitting a little lower than normal which might not be the ball but distance was acceptable.

Long irons / Hybrids: Once again no real difference vs other tour balls.

Mid-irons (8-6): Excellent trajectory, good feel and normal distance, maybe a couple yards shorter than others but could have been conditions at play.

Short irons (GW-9): This is where I noticed some extra spin and when the wind could play a factor. Might lose 5 yards but the trade off is extreme stopping power. might be 1/2 club shorter than the competition.

Wedges: The ball excels from 100 and in. Easy to control the ball flight, low trajectory and spins like crazy. This could hurt you or help you depending on your game. This characteristic makes this ball a great choice for hard, fast greens that can be hard to hold. In soft conditions it doesn't give me an advantage but gives you the confidence to go after pins an know it will stop.

Putter: Nothing special but not bad either. Little firm , maybe even slightly dead feel. On slow greens you really need to be aggressive with this ball.

Overall - Great ball for those who need more greenside spin or for when the conditions are really fast. Not my choice for windy conditions but a keeper and good to have in the bag. For everyday play I would probably go with the MTB-Black based on feel but great ball and it comes in Yellow so the red is still a great choice.

I've been playing the MTB-Red for several games now and my findings are actually very similar to yours and many others. I'm really liking the results so far and I do prefer playing yellow balls. As much as I like the MTB-Red I may give the MTB-Black another go to see if the red is really my preferred ball.

In all honesty I could probably game either ball and am loving the significant price savings over the Callaway Truvis balls that I was previously playing exclusively for over the past two seasons. Looking back I'm glad that Callaway increased their ball price on the Truvis by about 20% in Canada because if they didn't I wouldn't have tried these wonderful MTB balls.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

Another vote for the MTB Black in optic yellow !!!

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

I am using both the red and black. Got a trial pack with six of each. Amazingly durable and great in the wind. Maybe not quite as much greenside spin as I would like but in truth my wedges are a bit worn. Challenged our V1 fan boy assistant to hit his own ball against a Snell. He got better numbers and was amazed at how well it felt off his M4. I shall order more in Spring as our course is getting softer and there is less need for grip and more for pure distance. Might just try some Snell two piece balls....