2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping G, G LS Tec and SF Tec Drivers

zakkozuchowski

Hotmelt. Had 5 grams added to me i25 and its night and day. Sound like a shotgun blast on video ha.

I know the i wasn't as loud as the G30 but hotmelt is the way to go.

[media=]

[/media]

Sounded like a wedge

A wedge??

More like a driver wedge.

Im being clowned aren't I..... :scare2:

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hotmelt. Had 5 grams added to me i25 and its night and day. Sound like a shotgun blast on video ha.

She sounds hideous

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

[media=]

[/media]

Sounded like a wedge

A wedge??

More like a driver wedge.

Im being clowned aren't I..... :scare2:

I wasn't trying to. Just sounds different than any driver I've ever heard. Maybe it's the clubhead speed.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Ha I know , Im just messing. But that's what hot melt will do. Plus its like a little pocket where that tee box is so it echoes a bit. I get a lot of compliments on the sound of the driver though, its more of a crack almost like a wooden baseball bat. Ill never own another driver without hot melt. I only did 5 gr with a neutral bias so it would effect launch or spin.

Hot Rod, its Heron Ridge #11.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

Heron Ridge is a great course. As a born and raised VB guy I've played it many times, but I haven't been there in 7 or 8 years.

I'm going to make an effort to come back down to VB this year to play more. My dad still lives there. I'll hit you up if I do; maybe we can get a few WRXers together for a round or two.

Who does your club work down there? Who did the Hotmelt?

I do my own club work and Hotmelt every driver I play. It does wonders for the acoustics.

Sorry for the thread-jack.

PXG Black Ops 9.75* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Motore X F1 7X

PXG  Gen4 3 Iron - Recoil ES Hybrid F5

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DGTI120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI120 X100/S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

She sounds hideous

Well, she's a driver , so...

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Ha I know , Im just messing. But that's what hot melt will do. Plus its like a little pocket where that tee box is so it echoes a bit. I get a lot of compliments on the sound of the driver though, its more of a crack almost like a wooden baseball bat. Ill never own another driver without hot melt. I only did 5 gr with a neutral bias so it would effect launch or spin.

I have 5 grams in mine too, but doesn't sound like yours

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Yours is a G30 and his is an i20. Hotmelt won't make all drivers sound the same.

As loud and obnoxious as the G30 is, it would probably take an entire tube of Hotmelt to mute it. :taunt:

PXG Bat Attack H

Heron Ridge is a great course. As a born and raised VB guy I've played it many times, but I haven't been there in 7 or 8 years.

I'm going to make an effort to come back down to VB this year to play more. My dad still lives there. I'll hit you up if I do; maybe we can get a few WRXers together for a round or two.

Who does your club work down there? Who did the Hotmelt?

I do my own club work and Hotmelt every driver I play. It does wonders for the acoustics.

Sorry for the thread-jack.

Will Peoples did mine. May send my next one to you......

Come on down have a few WRXers I can get together and a bunch of other A players that we play with on a regular basis.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

Yours is a G30 and his is an i20. Hotmelt won't make all drivers sound the same.

As loud and obnoxious as the G30 is, it would probably take an entire tube of Hotmelt to mute it. :taunt:

Well that explains it! I'm using the app and couldn't see his WITB.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Guys,

I'm having a hard time understanding this issue with the "sound." Does the driver perform for you or not? If not, ditch it and move on to something that does. If it does perform, since every driver will have a slightly varying pitch, go to a retailer and hit several until you find one that sounds and works best to you. I went through 16 drivers in both the G and GLS to see which ones (1) set up best to my eye followed by (2) which ones worked the best in terms of hottest heads and launch data. For me, the sound was not even a consideration, although I'm very aware that most of them vary. I did the same with my gamer G25's and G30's until I found my first and second stringers in both models. Sorry if I'm minimizing sound but it's just not the determining factor on whether a driver performs optimally for me......and all of mine sound differently.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

^^^ Everyone is different and has different criteria for an acceptable driver. Personally, I have a hard time playing a driver that doesn't suit my eyes or my ears.

I'm all about performance, but for some of us that isn't the only determining factor.

PXG Bat Attack H

Guys,

I'm having a hard time understanding this issue with the "sound." Does the driver perform for you or not? If not, ditch it and move on to something that does. If it does perform, since every driver will have a slightly varying pitch, go to a retailer and hit several until you find one that sounds and works best to you. I went through 16 drivers in both the G and GLS to see which ones (1) set up best to my eye followed by (2) which ones worked the best in terms of hottest heads and launch data. For me, the sound was not even a consideration, although I'm very aware that most of them vary. I did the same with my gamer G25's and G30's until I found my first and second stringers in both models. Sorry if I'm minimizing sound but it's just not the determining factor on whether a driver performs optimally for me......and all of mine sound differently.

I played an i15 for years and loved the sound it made. The G30 performs, but the sound/feel make it seem that even my best is a slight mishit. The hotmelt worked, but for some reason mentally I feel that I'm just missing the sweet spot which makes me slightly uncomfortable with it.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

^^^ Everyone is different and has different criteria for an acceptable driver. Personally, I have a hard time playing a driver that doesn't suit my eyes or my ears.

I'm all about performance, but for some of us that isn't the only determining factor.

Could not agree more with you Rod....everyone is different. As I said, for me, it has to look great to my eye, first and foremost. Next, it has to perform for me and allow me to do what I need to do with it, confidently. Again, for me, sound is the least of my concerns....although I loved the sound of the old TM 510DF back in the day. That was sweet.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Back to the reviews...!

Last night was the first time hitting the G LS on Flightscope. I've spent a considerable amount of time using the system and software. The system is set at medium course conditions so the roll out isn't as accurate as most, if not all conditions I regularly come across.

Long story short...with the 10.5 G LST with Tour 65x and my Pro V1xset at 10.5*:

Summary

-Highest Smash I've ever recorded at 1.52, and never got higher than 1.49 with my fitted M1

-best carry was about 5 yards longer at 275 yards than my fitted M1 at 10.5

-Longest drive was 285yards with M1 and hit 289yards with the LS

-best ball speed I've seen so far by 3mph at 162mph

Average numbers for about 20 drives:

-107 club speed

- 159 ball speed

- 14 launch

- 2000 spin

- +3 AOA, 3* right club path

- -3* left spin axis

-2200 ft above sea level

Sound did not bother me at all, but I'm still going to add 5g of hot melt when it comes in.

Just got my first round in with the G. I've been hard pressed to find something to permanently beat out my 910D2, but I think this has finally done it. I was averaging 287 off the tee with the D2 last time I was out with it (I lose some distance with spin), and averaged 306 off the tee with the G. It also has a waaay better feel and sound than the G. It actually reminded me somewhat of the 910D2 off the face. Accuracy wasn't awful either...8/14 fairways, but I was never past the first cut, which is phenomenal for me.

I don't understand what you are saying.

Re-reading this, it does make little sense...long day.

1: I went to a simulator to play a round of golf, since there's snow here.

2: I've used a 910D2 more or less consistently for 6 years, as I had never found a driver I prefer to it.

3: With the G, I averaged 306 off the tee (vs 287 with my D2) and hit 8/14 fairways (with at least 4 of these misses in the first cut); both of these stats are an improvement for me.

4: I really like the sound and feel of the G. I think it's a huge improvement over the G30 (I accidentally said G in the original post), which I didn't like in terms of sound and feel. The sound and feel off the face reminds me of my 910D2, if not a bit louder.

5: I'll be keeping the G.

PING G430 LST | Ping Tour 2.0 65 
Titleist TSR3 3w  | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8
Titleist TSR3 4h  | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95
PING i210 4-U | TT DG 120 S300
Vokey SM9 54.12D, 60.12D | TT DG S300
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2 350g

Just got my first round in with the G. I've been hard pressed to find something to permanently beat out my 910D2, but I think this has finally done it. I was averaging 287 off the tee with the D2 last time I was out with it (I lose some distance with spin), and averaged 306 off the tee with the G. It also has a waaay better feel and sound than the G. It actually reminded me somewhat of the 910D2 off the face. Accuracy wasn't awful either...8/14 fairways, but I was never past the first cut, which is phenomenal for me.

I don't understand what you are saying.

Re-reading this, it does make little sense...long day.

1: I went to a simulator to play a round of golf, since there's snow here.

2: I've used a 910D2 more or less consistently for 6 years, as I had never found a driver I prefer to it.

3: With the G, I averaged 306 off the tee (vs 287 with my D2) and hit 8/14 fairways (with at least 4 of these misses in the first cut); both of these stats are an improvement for me.

4: I really like the sound and feel of the G. I think it's a huge improvement over the G30 (I accidentally said G in the original post), which I didn't like in terms of sound and feel. The sound and feel off the face reminds me of my 910D2, if not a bit louder.

5: I'll be keeping the G.

Said the same thing over in there that the G sounds like a Titleist driver. Others are reporting LS is like the old G30. Performance wise very similar for me and as Ping suggested. SS up 2mph and ball speed also higher....probably because I went from 10.5 to 9. Great club. Looks better too imo. Main thing is this thing is a fairway finder and performs.

I would like to order my GLS to be the same loft as the demo I tested but I doubt the measuring technique used at the local golf shop is as precise as the digital method used at PING. Given the tolerance of +\- 1* that means if I just order it as the same stated loft it could come back as much as 2* higher or lower. I'm a 3 hdcp and that would make a noticable differance to me.

PING's SOP is to produce product that, a majority of the time, has more loft than stated/stamped. You will not find a 9* stamped driver with 8* of actual loft; rather, most of the time, you will see the 9* stamps measuring 9.5* to 10*.

FWIW - I have a 10.5 G LS loaner I've been hitting on Flightscope and I got my club guy to measure the loft. He took 16 measurements all over the face and found both the average and the center clubface measurement to be 12*.

PING G425 Max 9* @ 7.5* PING Tour 65s
PING G425 Max 3w PING Tour 75s
PING G425 22 PING Tour 85s
PING i210 4-pw DG120 S300
PING Glide 3.0 54s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 58
Taylormade Spider Tour S 35"

There's no issue with the sound if you hit it out the middle.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

I just got back from a demo and was able to hit the new G. I currently play a G30 10.5 Tour X and get good results. The demo was outside with range balls and no monitor, so I was just going by flight and my current setup. What I noticed is the G seemed to launch a degree or two higher and seemed to be straighter.

Still debating, but I may switch to the G.

[media=]

[/media]

She sounds hideous

Was she wearing khakis and a red shirt?

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

That is an opinion......In my opinion, it is just as loud when hit in the middle......Also, the GLS is louder than the G30LS.......My, and others opinion of course.

Agreed 100% again with Wobgon. The G LS Tec did nothing to really improve on the sound. Anyone with a higher swing speed will be left with their ears ringing, out of the middle or not.

Does the driver perform? Yes. Is it annoyingly loud? Absolutely. Plenty of late model drivers perform with out sounding like you're hitting a light post with a hammer.

Taylormade M2 9.5* @ 7.5* Rogue 110 Silver 60x
Taylormade M2 15* VTS Red 75x
Ping Rapture DI 18* VTS Silver 85x
Ping S55 3-PW PX Flighted 6.0
Ping Glide 52* SS & Glide 58* SS
Ping Anser Milled #6 35"

That is an opinion......In my opinion, it is just as loud when hit in the middle......Also, the GLS is louder than the G30LS.......My, and others opinion of course.

Agreed 100% again with Wobgon. The G LS Tec did nothing to really improve on the sound. Anyone with a higher swing speed will be left with their ears ringing, out of the middle or not.

Does the driver perform? Yes. Is it annoyingly loud? Absolutely. Plenty of late model drivers perform with out sounding like you're hitting a light post with a hammer.

Yep. Ping's a great company, but they have to make a driver that will keep your ears from ringing above 100 MPH clubhead speed. They have to have known this.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Yep. Ping's a great company, but they have to make a driver that will keep your ears from ringing above 100 clubhead speed. They have to have known this.

I think "MarkfromtheUK" was meaning 'the middle of the fairway', least that's how I interpreted...performance was his point.

Pretty sure he would have used "down" for that, not "out".

I have a G LS coming and game a G30LS. Won't be a stock comparison tho as i nabbed the lightest weight for the LS and hotmelted. Took a bit of ring out of it.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Pretty sure he would have used "down" for that, not "out".

I have a G LS coming and game a G30LS. Won't be a stock comparison tho as i nabbed the lightest weight for the LS and hotmelted. Took a bit of ring out of it.

You might be right but then I thought he would have used "in" if he was talking about a center strike

Curious now.