2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Thrift Store Jackpot

10 hours ago, Bob Cat said:

I just wanted to buy the BullsEye but seller insisted I take the entire bag for same money.

1962 Ben Hogan Power Thrust irons and Wilson 4300 woods (unknown vintage).

4i is a 1966 Ben Hogan with SAME ser nos as the rest.

I can only guess it was destroyed and a modern 4i was provided to replace it.

Added image of a few relics found in the bag.

1D86CE9A-9F53-43CD-BF26-428B2D05DBE0.jpeg

B4EF0380-DB07-44EF-B352-562DE971E0FB.jpeg

46082FF7-A704-4B92-B7F9-B88FCB0E289E.jpeg

2EE87AC6-5712-4E76-A23B-8568992D24B5.jpeg

DDA1674B-CD65-4EAB-8EA8-6AE292523588.jpeg

F0E35405-1BED-49B2-BFF4-72E633501790.jpeg

61C09516-B82D-4F6A-B416-5C2E602A2190.jpeg

Would love to see some shots hit with those old golf balls.

• Haha 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 7/10/2022 at 1:09 PM, elwhippy said:

Not a round ball in sight. Amazing how we used to score well with wound ammo. 

The old balls are pretty decent around the green but full shots, wow, there is the difference in golf now,  not the driver heads or the shafts, but the balls, fun to hit but would not want to have to score with them

like I heard Faldo describe hitting the old balls, “they are like hitting a bar of soap”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

There is no doubt that the old wound balls were very different from the balls today. They did spin more and required you to be in control of your swing but were very playable. I do believe that we get a bit hyperbolic in our commentaries on the old stuff.

There is no doubt that the old equipment (balls and clubs) required a different approach than what we have today, but far from impossible. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

Lets have some fun, what have you got to lose.

Nothing of course.  I'm currently out west visiting my son.  When I get back home and caught up I'll take you up on your offer.🙂

• Like 2

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

On 7/6/2022 at 3:48 PM, AdamMH said:

Meant to post these but forgot. 3$ each w/ original leather grips, 3-5-7-9 sunday set. Also found a Citation 1-iron at the same time!IMG_20220513_232601.jpg.6810747e59699edf1b4b23140b1aade3.jpg

That set up with the 1 iron would make on heck of a Sunday Set for kicks and giggles

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

On 7/10/2022 at 10:18 AM, Bob Cat said:

I just wanted to buy the BullsEye but seller insisted I take the entire bag for same money.

1962 Ben Hogan Power Thrust irons and Wilson 4300 woods (unknown vintage).

4i is a 1966 Ben Hogan with SAME ser nos as the rest.

I can only guess it was destroyed and a modern 4i was provided to replace it.

Added image of a few relics found in the bag.

1D86CE9A-9F53-43CD-BF26-428B2D05DBE0.jpeg

B4EF0380-DB07-44EF-B352-562DE971E0FB.jpeg

46082FF7-A704-4B92-B7F9-B88FCB0E289E.jpeg

2EE87AC6-5712-4E76-A23B-8568992D24B5.jpeg

DDA1674B-CD65-4EAB-8EA8-6AE292523588.jpeg

F0E35405-1BED-49B2-BFF4-72E633501790.jpeg

61C09516-B82D-4F6A-B416-5C2E602A2190.jpeg

Those balls would be interesting now--- The old club special would get some funky flights and one might could hit it 50 yards with a driver. The Mac balls were not worth two hoots when new IMHO. The old Trevino Faultless ball would still be ok since it is more or less a 2 piece rubber ball=== The others I am not sure on

On 7/6/2022 at 3:48 PM, AdamMH said:

Meant to post these but forgot. 3$ each w/ original leather grips, 3-5-7-9 sunday set. Also found a Citation 1-iron at the same time!IMG_20220513_232601.jpg.6810747e59699edf1b4b23140b1aade3.jpg

That set up with the 1 iron would make on heck of a Sunday Set for kicks and giggles

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

There is no doubt that the old wound balls were very different from the balls today. They did spin more and required you to be in control of your swing but were very playable. I do believe that we get a bit hyperbolic in our commentaries on the old stuff.

There is no doubt that the old equipment (balls and clubs) required a different approach than what we have today, but far from impossible. 

Like many of us, over time I've accumulated a fair number of wound balls.  At a garage sale, a NOS box of Titleist Tour 90 balata's.  Was excited to give them a "spin" out on the course.  Not being a golfer during the era.  But something about them didn't play quite right.  Struggled with realizing relative distance.  At a latter point, accidentally dropped one on the cement garage floor and it sounded "mushy".  Grabbed a new modern ball and proceeded to perform an equi-distant drop test.  Those old balatas and wounds had a bounce significantly less than the modern ball.  

No idea if this is a valid or relevant test.  But it was enough of a confirmation that playing "old" golf balls is not for me.  Playing classic implements is challenging enough.  When I do, I'll use a suitable modern ball.  Are not Pro V's played in some high level hickory tournaments?  Seem to recall reading that once.  

• Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

On 7/11/2022 at 9:14 PM, Wham49 said:

The old balls are pretty decent around the green but full shots, wow, there is the difference in golf now,  not the driver heads or the shafts, but the balls, fun to hit but would not want to have to score with them

like I heard Faldo describe hitting the old balls, “they are like hitting a bar of soap”

I played wound balls exclusively for several months, a couple different times in the last ten years.  I happened across a stash of recently manufactured Maxfli HT-100s about ten years ago, picked up several dozen.  They turned out to have been recently manufactured in the Asian marketplace, and had finally been cast aside to the clearance racks of the golf world.

They weren't as hard to play as their reputation.  They also weren't as short as their reputation; the primary issue with them off the tee was spin.  I found it possible to mitigate that tee game spin thru driver selection.

The only other adjustment I had was to drop the use of the 60* LW I was playing at the time.  My Watson Scoring System 55* was more than enough for everything short game, thanks to the better short game spin of the HT.

Durability is the real problem with them.  It's possible to knock them out of round.  I think I still have one or two somewhat oval HTs lying around.

I enjoyed my runs with the HT.  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I like to play wound balls when I play with my persimmons. Soft modern balls like the Wilson Duo are OK, but the old wound balls feel better. 

Thing is, I mostly played wound Surlyn balls when I was younger rather than the more expensive balata, so that's what I use now. 

There's not that much difference in distance, depending on the type of wound ball. I've found wound Titleist DTs keep up pretty well with the modern ball, although performance in the wind is quite different.

Actually, one of the joys of persimmon golf for me is trying out various different wound balls that I did not have access to when I was younger.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Those balls would be interesting now--- The old club special would get some funky flights and one might could hit it 50 yards with a driver. The Mac balls were not worth two hoots when new IMHO. The old Trevino Faultless ball would still be ok since it is more or less a 2 piece rubber ball=== The others I am not sure on

I agree. They're quite nice to hit. I've got a Spalding Model 56 persimmon driver to go with as well. Unfortunately the Citation 1-iron has bits of grip missing and no ferrule left. On the other hand I do have 20 other 1-irons to choose from 😂

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, miamistomp said:

Wilson duo soft is the ball of choice

Modern balls are too hard and spin too little

You want a ball that feels like it " sticks" to the club face

The Duo Soft only hits one of your targets, that of "soft."  They do not spin much.

I've found luck with the Vice Pro Soft, the Chrome Soft, the OnCore Elixr, and the Duo Professional that no longer exists.  All tend to be in the softer spectrum, the Elixr being the firmest of the mentioned balls.  

I expect the Bridgestone B-RX and B-RXS would hit that target, also.

• Like 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 7/12/2022 at 7:11 AM, Hickory4ever said:

I love the old stuff, but struggle off the tee with old balls, it is always a struggle to find a ball that has not too much spin on the longer clubs, because I just hit them way off line when I don't make a great swing. If we could play different balls I would hit one ball off the tee and another ball for everything else

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Those club specials might explode! Fond memories of buying 2/$1 at the local public course, then playing unlimited golf for $5.  Did 45 one day.  The course bordered a cemetery on 1 side and Ridgewood CC on the other.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AdamMH said:

I agree. They're quite nice to hit. I've got a Spalding Model 56 persimmon driver to go with as well. Unfortunately the Citation 1-iron has bits of grip missing and no ferrule left. On the other hand I do have 20 other 1-irons to choose from 😂

If you really want to fix it and try it Maltby Golfworks has 2 piece ferrules that do great I use them quite a bit when I do not want to pull a shaft. The grip is a no brainer

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

The Duo Soft only hits one of your targets, that of "soft."  They do not spin much.

I've found luck with the Vice Pro Soft, the Chrome Soft, the OnCore Elixr, and the Duo Professional that no longer exists.  All tend to be in the softer spectrum, the Elixr being the firmest of the mentioned balls.  

I played a 18 hole classic round today ( I will post details in the rounds with a vintage bag section) Tried something completely off the wall. I had 6 of those MG balls from Lord only knows where. Those things really elevated and hit well off the slugger and good off the 3 wood. I also played a couple of holes with some wound Maxfli DDH. Those and the Maxfli Elites really launch well off the persimmon and check up good on the greens

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I played a 18 hole classic round today ( I will post details in the rounds with a vintage bag section) Tried something completely off the wall. I had 6 of those MG balls from Lord only knows where. Those things really elevated and hit well off the slugger and good off the 3 wood. I also played a couple of holes with some wound Maxfli DDH. Those and the Maxfli Elites really launch well off the persimmon and check up good on the greens

Yep, the Elites are good balls. Used one recently, and tested it on one hole directly against a DT wound ball. Hit it 10 yards past the DT with my driver.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Yep, the Elites are good balls. Used one recently, and tested it on one hole directly against a DT wound ball. Hit it 10 yards past the DT with my driver.

Yep our esteemed collegue NRJyzr sent me a brand new dozen a year or so ago. Those things hit good and I cherish them. I use them on approaches and I "cheat" on scrambles using one on wedge or short iron approaches. The DDH our Friend Scooter from Canada sent them to me some time back along with some balata Palmers. I did lose one of the DDH yesterday on our 2nd hole. In fact our Super saw the shot. I actually hit it great in the middle of the fairway and SPLASH! No water hazard there though. It plugged in the middle of the fairway. Actually I nutted that shot and it carried a lot further than I thought capable of. That is when I went to the Master Grip C-4 balls I had found in the stash and threw in the bag. We did look for it but I was not going to wade in ankle deep water to find it. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

@NRJyzr dumb question, how do you determine if a ball is properly soft enough for play with persimmons? Looking at last years My Golf Spy data, the balls you listed all have low compression, is that a result of them being soft? 

For reference, I have played Callway Supersoft and Pro V1 with my persimmon and blades and found the Pro V1 to be better for me, mainly with maintaining spin on irons and wedges.

45 minutes ago, chazpet said:

@NRJyzr dumb question, how do you determine if a ball is properly soft enough for play with persimmons? Looking at last years My Golf Spy data, the balls you listed all have low compression, is that a result of them being soft? 

For reference, I have played Callway Supersoft and Pro V1 with my persimmon and blades and found the Pro V1 to be better for me, mainly with maintaining spin on irons and wedges.

The way I think of the golf balls, they are soft because they have low compression, not their having low compression being a result of them being soft.  Semantics, I know.  😉

Louisville Golf used to have something on their FAQ that stated any modern "tour level" golf ball was OK to use with persimmon, that they were not as hard as the rocks of Ye Olde Days.  They've since changed that a bit.  What I do for myself is look at the lower compression balls with urethane covers, like the B-RX or B-RXS, Vice Pro Soft, and Duo Professional.  Haven't used the new Wilson Triad yet, but I would use those with persimmons also, they're not much firmer than the above; would also use the OnCore Elixr. 

I would take the above a bit higher, to include the ZStar/TP5 level of balls, but stay away from the ZStarXV/TP5x level.   

Ironically, when I was playing the HT-100s in the previous decade, and comparing them to then-current urethane multilayer balls, I was playing things like the HX Chrome+ or the One Tour D, the firmer balls.  No damage of which I was aware.  Full disclosure:  I was doing it with a Zing Blonde laminate, for the most part.  

Such is my take.  🙂

• Like 3

I will chime in on my preferences for balls. For hickory clubs, I use Calloway Supersoft, Srixon Softfeel, or any other soft ball. When playing classic era clubs, I may play them also or even something with higher compression. I don’t find there to be a big difference in length with any of them. Worrying about spin on my wedges is far down the list, I want the ball to feel nice.

I play clubs from three eras every week (hickory, classic and modern) and score virtually the same as long as I am playing appropriate tees. I focus on the fun factor and shotmaking and clear my mind of modern thinking. It does not seem to matter which clubs I play, my scores are usually around 80, plus or minus a few strokes.

To answer the question about the ball softness with persimmons, I prefer a softer ball than a Pro V1 or similar. From my hickory experience, the harder the golf ball, the greater the chance of damage to wooden clubs, I treat my classics that are 50 years of age or older the same. 

Edited by Hickory4ever
  • Like 3