Private clubs - "adopting a hole"

I'm a member at a private course in TN. It's not a super fancy place, but overall it's pretty nice.

Recently the manager sent out an email stating that they are starting a new "adopt a hole" program. They are looking for two members to adopt a hole (36 members total). You are then responsible for helping maintain your hole by filling divots with sand and repairing ball marks on the green. They are asking that this be done late in the evenings on slow days and when the course is closed on Mondays. As a reward, the superintendent will pick the best maintained hole each quarter and both members will each receive $50 in club credit (to eat or whatever).

What are your opinions on this? I don't have a problem with it personally and I have volunteered to help, but I do feel like only giving out a reward once each quarter is pretty weak. Other members are complaining saying it isn't their job to come out and take care of the course.

How common is this at other private clubs?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen it at a couple of high end clubs, but it was not club-organized. Some of the regulars take it upon themselves, with the blessing of maintenance and the pro staff, to come out on Mondays and repair ball marks and fill divots. The maintenance staff will even open up the barn and give them carts.

But they don't do it for any reward or compensation. They just do it because of pride in their course and to hang out with their buddies and have a beer.

I'm a member at a private course in TN. It's not a super fancy place, but overall it's pretty nice.

Recently the manager sent out an email stating that they are starting a new "adopt a hole" program. They are looking for two members to adopt a hole (36 members total). You are then responsible for helping maintain your hole by filling divots with sand and repairing ball marks on the green. They are asking that this be done late in the evenings on slow days and when the course is closed on Mondays. As a reward, the superintendent will pick the best maintained hole each quarter and both members will each receive $50 in club credit (to eat or whatever).

What are your opinions on this? I don't have a problem with it personally and I have volunteered to help, but I do feel like only giving out a reward once each quarter is pretty weak. Other members are complaining saying it isn't their job to come out and take care of the course.

I think it sounds like a good idea, particularly if you've got some retried guys that are looking for something to do to help out.

The course I worked at in college would have a work day every year where the members would show up to help maintenance out around the course with projects. One year they were cutting down dead trees, another was repouring concrete for the cart paths, etc. The club would provide lunch to everyone that came out to help. Those saying it's not their job to take care of the course are probably the same ones that would complain about the condition of the course and then complain more if their dues went up to cover the cost of increased maintenance. Those same people probably don't repair ball marks or replace divots either.

I've seen it at a couple of high end clubs, but it was not club-organized. Some of the regulars take it upon themselves, with the blessing of maintenance and the pro staff, to come out on Mondays and repair ball marks and fill divots. The maintenance staff will even open up the barn and give them carts.

But they don't do it for any reward or compensation. They just do it because of pride in their course and to hang out with their buddies and have a beer.

This is where it stemmed from. A buddy of mine is also a member at a high end club in another state (a PGA stop each year) and they do it there. He's the one who suggested it to the manager and the manager rolled with it. They are making carts/sand/etc available to the volunteers.

One thing to make mandatory - those 36 members must be able to demonstrate how to fix a ballmark. We had a member take it upon himself to fix ball marks on the green beside his house one summer. He basically destroyed it. Little dead spots appeared and our super couldn't figure it out - it wasn't disease or a fungus. One night I had a playing lesson after the shop was closed and saw him, I went to chat and found out any slight imperfection "in his green" got a divot tool under it and pulled straight up. The worse the green looked the more vigilant he became, he didn't realize he was causing all of the damage he complained about, and just doubled his efforts. We got him to stop, green recovered quickly but if your team on members died the same thing they will damage their designated hole.

$50 bucks seems pretty weak, and not much of an incentive. I'd rather do it for just pride.

How about something non-monetary for a prize? You could reserve a prime parking space for them or something ...

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

Its your course you should take care of it, it shouldn't come to a point where this has to happen. It's not that hard to fix 3 or 4 pitch marks on the greens or fill an extra divot with sand. A couple of up here have it based on your last name you're supposed to fix an extra mark or two on x hole. (i.e. Last name starts with W you fix on 4&16)

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

It sounds like the members who have a problem with the new volunteer program are the ones who aren't filling/replacing their divots or fixing their pitch marks to begin with.....

Actually I can easily see the other side of this - if you're paying to belong to a private club, you shouldn't have to be putting in extra time on top of that to help maintain the course. I dont mean you are paying for the right to be a caveman and not clean up after yourself on the course, not at all. But you shouldn't need members to be volunteering to keep holes in good shape. I have no issue with people who say they wont do it.

But if they are retired or have the time to spend working on the course I guess, then what's the harm?

Our club is generally in great condition and I think its a combination of a top flight maintenance staff/budget and very respectful members. To me if conditioning is such an issue that it requires a step like this, maybe this speaks to something else going on - disrespectful members, members not watching their guests, maintenance issues etc.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I'm a member at private club in west tn. Again, like stated, it's not pristine but it's very nice shape and a fun challenging track. Most members have their own cart and most do not carry divot sand or even fix their ball marks. I take it upon myself to fix ball marks whenever I see them. I'm planning to purchase a cart and will def have divot sand to fix all the ones I come across. I wish my club would offer some incentive or make this rule for members. Maybe it would weed out the ones that don't take this sport and hobby as serious as I do. I want nothing more than to be proud of the place I'm a member. And make the conditions better for all.

It sounds like the members who have a problem with the new volunteer program are the ones who aren't filling/replacing their divots or fixing their pitch marks to begin with.....

Actually I can easily see the other side of this - if you're paying to belong to a private club, you shouldn't have to be putting in extra time on top of that to help maintain the course. I dont mean you are paying for the right to be a caveman and not clean up after yourself on the course, not at all. But you shouldn't need members to be volunteering to keep holes in good shape. I have no issue with people who say they wont do it.

Not sure that's the "other side", honestly. If there is no problem with pitchmarks on greens and divots all over the course, and this is just proactive, then maybe I'd see it as the "other side". However, it sounds like the course needs extra attention because the membership, and their guests, are not doing what they are supposed to do as "player's etiquette" while they are on the course.

Our club is generally in great condition and I think its a combination of a top flight maintenance staff/budget and very respectful members. To me if conditioning is such an issue that it requires a step like this, maybe this speaks to something else going on - disrespectful members, members not watching their guests, maintenance issues etc.

^^^^ Yep, that's exactly where I am above ^^^^ It's clear there is rather simple disrespect of the course, and the etiquette, if this is really not a proactive "so it doesn't get bad" request.

It's a good thing to do .. but have the members do there extra work when they play the hole. Takes no time to fill 10 divots and fix 6 marks

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

One thing to make mandatory - those 36 members must be able to demonstrate how to fix a ballmark. We had a member take it upon himself to fix ball marks on the green beside his house one summer. He basically destroyed it. Little dead spots appeared and our super couldn't figure it out - it wasn't disease or a fungus. One night I had a playing lesson after the shop was closed and saw him, I went to chat and found out any slight imperfection "in his green" got a divot tool under it and pulled straight up. The worse the green looked the more vigilant he became, he didn't realize he was causing all of the damage he complained about, and just doubled his efforts. We got him to stop, green recovered quickly but if your team on members died the same thing they will damage their designated hole.

Amazing how many folks pull up the grass and don't pull it sideways, i blame the stupid curved green repair tools

EvnRoll ER9

If they offered a credit towards a membership...I would do it. There's a course down the road from me that I really like. I actually worked for one of their sister courses when I was in high school. There's no way that I could afford a membership though. However, I would gladly go out and fix divots, rake bunkers, and pick up litter (ex. Junk tees on the tee box) for a free round and/or credit towards a membership . ex. Go out on a slow evening to play a round...take my time playing and putter/spruce up the place.

That being said, you can't seriously expect people that pay thousands for a membership to come out and do this unless there's some kind of incentive. ex. "We will have to hire 'x' additional groundskeepers to maintain the course unless we are able to secure volunteers. This will drive up membership dues by $xxx/year."

our courses has a major problem - lack of bunker / trap raking

We are the top course across a group of 40 courses. When a sister course has an event the other courses members play our track for free

For whatever reason, a lot of these guests, feel it is not their job to rake traps as it is beneath them. I will not name the ethnicity of the guilty folks as I don't want to be erroneously called racist, but it is a very REAL problem at our place

EvnRoll ER9

We had "adopt a hole" programs at my last two clubs..NOBODY got rewards for participation. I think its great way for members to get involved with keeping the course in great condition and it usually meant more member interaction Depending on how the clubs setup, helps offset course maintenance costs too. Last two courses it costed the club hourly wages for someone to walk the course and fill in divots and fix ball marks, etc.

As for the reward aspect. Being a proactive member should be enough. Expecting a reward for helping out at your club, IMO, is the wrong attitude.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Its your course you should take care of it, it shouldn't come to a point where this has to happen. It's not that hard to fix 3 or 4 pitch marks on the greens or fill an extra divot with sand. A couple of up here have it based on your last name you're supposed to fix an extra mark or two on x hole. (i.e. Last name starts with W you fix on 4&16)

In a perfect world you're right. Too often I see playing partners takes a glance for their pitch mark near where their ball stopped and if they do not see it right away move on. Why not fix the ones you see on the way to your ball as well? Of you cannot find yours there green is still ahead repair wise.

Our club does the holes assignments alphabetically. Seems to help a bit.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I overheard a friend of mine who belongs to a higher-end club talking about their 'maintenance day'. A group of them each take 3 holes and each have a sand-filled divot repair bottle with a maintenance guy driving a cart with extra sand mix in a cart. They walk those 3 holes and fill divot holes and other minor repair. He didn't seem to mind it, helps him take ownership / pride in the course and also meet other members he may not meet normally. Sounds like a win-win to me.

As some others have said, the reward should be in having a well-maintained golf hole to play on, not getting a few free cheeseburgers from the grill.

And members saying it's not their job to take care of the course? It's the job of everyone who plays the course to take care of the course. If they all did a better job of fixing divots and ball marks to begin with, there wouldn't be a need for this program because there would be no divots or ball marks to fix.

We tried a variation of this. Everyone was assigned a particular hole to pay extra attention to. Fill extra divots, pick up trash, rake more of the bunkers, fix more ball marks, etc. I tried to do my part but I think most people either didn't care about the course, were too lazy, or thought since they paid expensive dues the staff should be doing this work. The program must not have made a difference as it was discontinued after one season. Way back in the golf boom era the club actually paid a guy or two to go around the course in the evenings filling in divots, but the money for that is gone.

In the winter we do have a group of retired guys that meets up and performs volunteer work around the course on Mondays - trimming trees, fixing fences, rebuilding walls, raking leaves, etc. If I were lucky enough to be retired I'd probably join them.

The course I worked at in college would have a work day every year where the members would show up to help maintenance out around the course with projects. One year they were cutting down dead trees, another was repouring concrete for the cart paths, etc. The club would provide lunch to everyone that came out to help. Those saying it's not their job to take care of the course are probably the same ones that would complain about the condition of the course and then complain more if their dues went up to cover the cost of increased maintenance. Those same people probably don't repair ball marks or replace divots either.

They've done that at our club on occasion. Usually it's been pouring concrete for cart paths and such. I'm thinking of "helping" soon, a chainsaw to a few select trees and branches. All in the name of being helpful.

Our small club does this in the way many people describe here. It is voluntary, we are limited to things like picking up pine cones, tees on boxes, filling divots, raking traps, and fixing pitch marks. We do it because it frees up the people we pay to work maintenance to do more important things.

Really, its no big thing. A couple times a month I take my two kids and we work on "our hole." It can't be a bad thing to teach a pair of junior golfers to respect their course and how to do some basic things every golfer should be doing when they play. We're out there for maybe 30 minutes, then we putt, and get coke (or beer, age depending) from the pro shop.

Historically, country clubs were conceived of as cooperatively-maintained entities and a big part of that was assuming the mentality that it was the responsibility of the members (not the greenskeeeper) to maintain the course. Greens committees used to play a much larger role than they do today. Most people just take the stance that paying their dues absolves them of such responsibilities. Personally, I'm a fan of taking a little pride in our little course and helping out because it makes our course and club a better place. YMMV.

Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey

I'm not a private club member so I don't understand the dynamic. This is actually a unique study in incentives. If this club incentivizes maintaining just one hole doesn't it also, by way of default, deincentivize the practice of taking care of the other 17 holes? The incentive to repair divots and ball marks on other holes is lost because someone else may reap the benefit of your actions by way of the $50 credit. If it were my club, I would be more in favor of a maintenance day with incentives to show up and help (open tap for 90 minutes, swag, etc.)

I teach college-level economics so this scenario may make its way on to a free-response question come September.