Nike dropping golf equipment (merged)

jgallant415

most Nike players will keep playing the equipment in their bags for the next 2 years. No changes No new stuff

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nike makes golf equipment? Hadn't noticed. ;)

That being said, I hope they do step up their shoe effort - Nike, please make make your shoes in an actual wide size in the popular/cool designs so that Footjoy isn't my only choice for a great fitting shoe. I just went over to their site to check that they hadn't somehow slipped some wide options in there - the Nike Lunar Command (one I happen to find very attractive) isn't even available in wide and I clicked the NIke FI Impact 2 (that I don't like but it said "wide" and my size isn't available). In contrast, go to the Footjoy site and you'll find shoes in every possible configuration even going as far as different lasts for different types of feet. Heck, only 60% of feet fall into the "medium" or "regular" width!

They need to make major changes in how they sell shoes if they want to be a front runner in my mind. If someone from Nike reads this, I'd be happy to put my mind (and degree) to use with you and consult on how to grow your golf shoe business.

Nike makes golf equipment? Hadn't noticed. ;)

That being said, I hope they do step up their shoe effort - Nike, please make make your shoes in an actual wide size in the popular/cool designs so that Footjoy isn't my only choice for a great fitting shoe. I just went over to their site to check that they hadn't somehow slipped some wide options in there - the Nike Lunar Command (one I happen to find very attractive) isn't even available in wide and I clicked the NIke FI Impact 2 (that I don't like but it said "wide" and my size isn't available). In contrast, go to the Footjoy site and you'll find shoes in every possible configuration even going as far as different lasts for different types of feet. Heck, only 60% of feet fall into the "medium" or "regular" width!

They need to make major changes in how they sell shoes if they want to be a front runner in my mind. If someone from Nike reads this, I'd be happy to put my mind (and degree) to use with you and consult on how to grow your golf shoe business.

IMO, Nike's 2 best shoe releases of the season (1 spiked, 1 non) are both available in "wide". I have 3 pars of the FI Premiere's and 2 pair of the LF1. I understand, as i have 2 pair of Hyperflex in XXW. The toebox is much better on the new Nike's.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I bet PXG will be very aggressive to scoop up some names...

Call me sentimental but i would love to see Tiger back w Titleist for his last run. Maybe he can finally put the Scotty back in the bag..

You do know that he could've used the Scotty anytime he wanted.

Yes, except that it was lodged in the window of an escalade.

Dare I speculate without reading all of the 24 pages before just to see if somebody wrote something similar before?

Could it be that Tiger will retire and Nike know it so that they cannot hope for a sales boost upon his return?

Could it also be that Rory expressed much displeasure with certain parts of the equipment (like ball and putter) and tried to negotiate himself out of the contract and even threatened to breach it if necessary (would not be the first time in his career)?

Could it be that because of both circumstances (and terrible sales figures) they have contemplated this move for some time and Rory also knew about this and wanted to change putter or ball straight away, but they threatened such legal action that he complied and that this is one of the reasons why he seems so uninterested and unmotivated this year (except for his own home Open, which he really, really wanted to win)?

I personally think Nike is getting hammered as a company by Under Armour and is looking at places where it can make money and places where it can't.. Look at the growth rates and profit for both companies and the picture is pretty clear..

Dare I speculate without reading all of the 24 pages before just to see if somebody wrote something similar before?

Could it be that Tiger will retire and Nike know it so that they cannot hope for a sales boost upon his return?

Could it also be that Rory expressed much displeasure with certain parts of the equipment (like ball and putter) and tried to negotiate himself out of the contract and even threatened to breach it if necessary (would not be the first time in his career)?

Could it be that because of both circumstances (and terrible sales figures) they have contemplated this move for some time and Rory also knew about this and wanted to change putter or ball straight away, but they threatened such legal action that he complied and that this is one of the reasons why he seems so uninterested and unmotivated this year (except for his own home Open, which he really, really wanted to win)?

I personally think Nike is getting hammered as a company by Under Armour and is looking at places where it can make money and places where it can't.. Look at the growth rates and profit for both companies and the picture is pretty clear..

I have a lot of UA stuff, and have bought my kid a lot of the baseball/football gear, but when it comes to golf apparel/shoes, Nike just blows UA away IMO. The best thing UA does in golf is their new gloves.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Well I woke up this am hoping to read some silver lining about Nike golf equipment but it appears its not happening.

I am honestly in shock at the reaction of a few on this forum who truly wish ill will towards a company or individuals for nothing more than trying to do something different to carve out some market space. The reactions of the few on here towards people losing their jobs and people losing a brand they have been loyal to for extended periods of time and continuing to dig the knife in deeper is truly mind blowing. I have to ask what on earth has Nike Golf done to you to have such hatred toward a company? Those of us who have embraced Nike from the original woods and irons experienced the same "feedback" when they attempted to break into the market and it amazes me that over a decade later there is still the same feelings towards a company. Yes a company that some of us love and have lived with for a very long time not only off the course but on the course. When we look at our feet, look at our hands, look at our ball, and look in our bags to figure out what club to use there has been a swoosh there. We spent our extra pennies, traded between friends and businesses, put things on credit, and bought second hand because we wanted to support "OUR TEAM". We let others hit our clubs when they didn't know Nike made clubs early on and even today to help spread the love. That is what Nike meant to US. It may not matter to you, but it does to us. The screen names coming out the woodwork to throw their two cents in, you know who you are, to say "I told you so", "Those clubs have always been garbage", "Nike doesn't belong" and on and on truly must be miserable human beings. Most of us Nike brethren do not wish ill will towards other brands because we realize everyone has a choice and ours was simply a 6 letter word phrase: SWOOSH...I wonder if the awesome custom clubs dude I have been speaking with the last few days lost his job. A gentlemen named Bastiaan that worked with me to help me get what I wanted providing excellent CS. I'm sure he did just like the awesome folks at the Oven, that COTA and the gang visits, that got their pink slips. I'm sure they will all land somewhere else, most of them anyways, but they worked for Nike by choice and I'm sure the loved what they did just like us who love what we play.

For myself, and I'm sure there are others, Nike and golf go hand in hand for most of my adult life. I didn't start playing golf into late in HS (1997) and I immediately gravitated towards ANYTHING Nike produced for golf because Nike is what I grew up on playing baseball/basketball/football and general clothing items. Maybe it was Michael Jordan or Bo Jackson or any other late 80's early 90's athlete that was promoting the swoosh but from grade school through today Nike has been part of my core. When Tiger burst onto the scene Nike is what I wanted. Nike is also part of my wife's and kids core, more the first born (now almost 7) vs the little guy, but they too have grown up with Nike and yes Nike golf for the big boy.

I have played Nike soft/hard goods from the dress shoes that gave me blisters playing 18 and blue woods that weren't very good to today and the excellent shoes and smurf blue clubs. Every single line of clubs with the exception of the covert series, took a step away from golf for a time, has been in my bag. Blue 275/350, T40, Ignite, T60, Blades, Pro Combos, SV wedges, CCI irons, SUMO, VR, VAPOR, FLY, PHOTO BLUE, and VOLT have been names that I have played for almost 20 years. Yes I have strayed, what club HO hasn't, but always came back. I've bought JDM only Nike clubs and cut the shafts off to fit into luggage to bring something unique back home. I have played some of my best and worst golf with equipment that have a swoosh on it. I have also played some of my best and worst golf with Taylormade, Titliest, Callaway, Cobra, Mizuno, Wilson and many others. But I always came back to Nike. Its the old saying "Indian not the Arrow" and I have never in my golfing life finished a round and said this "Nike club was the difference" good or bad today. My oldest just got his first set of Nike junior clubs, the Red TW set, and he loves looking at Daddy's other Nikes. He wants shoes like mine, gloves like mine, balls like mine, and even clubs just like mine. When we watch golf together he see's the pro's wearing and playing what we have and he gets excited. Sure the same could be said about other brands, but Nike is what he knows.

So yes, some of us are truly taken back by this. We were eagerly awaiting the 2017 gear. We scooped up the blowouts on 2016 gear not because of the sales but because we could add to our collection still anticipating buying the next generation. And less than 24 hours ago wind for our sails came to a screeching halt. For some of us its hitting hard, imagine if GM was allowed to fail (another discussion) and millions of Chevy Dudes now had to buy Fords, the feeling is the same. Speaking for myself personally there isn't another brand at present that I can switch to for clubs period. Nothing moved my needle like Nike did. I'm glad I managed to get what I could from these blowouts and I'm thinking about hanging onto the 2015 stuff as well instead of trading.

I know its a long rant, but so be it, but some of you need a little perspective as to why some of us feel like our kittens were punched.

tumblr_lmh54jaaAe1qhhkvro1_r1_1280.jpg

Cobra F9 TL 10.5 Atmos Black 7x
Cobra F8+ 3/4 &/or 5/6 Tour Blue 85x
Cobra F8 2H Element EarthX &/or Cobra F9 4H PX6.5
Ping I210 5-PW LZ 6.0
Ping Stealth 2.0 50/54/58 LZ 6.0

Some form of a Scotty, Betti, Spider

Well I woke up this am hoping to read some silver lining about Nike golf equipment but it appears its not happening.

I am honestly in shock at the reaction of a few on this forum who truly wish ill will towards a company or individuals for nothing more than trying to do something different to carve out some market space. The reactions of the few on here towards people losing their jobs and people losing a brand they have been loyal to for extended periods of time and continuing to dig the knife in deeper is truly mind blowing. I have to ask what on earth has Nike Golf done to you to have such hatred toward a company? Those of us who have embraced Nike from the original woods and irons experienced the same "feedback" when they attempted to break into the market and it amazes me that over a decade later there is still the same feelings towards a company. Yes a company that some of us love and have lived with for a very long time not only off the course but on the course. When we look at our feet, look at our hands, look at our ball, and look in our bags to figure out what club to use there has been a swoosh there. We spent our extra pennies, traded between friends and businesses, put things on credit, and bought second hand because we wanted to support "OUR TEAM". We let others hit our clubs when they didn't know Nike made clubs early on and even today to help spread the love. That is what Nike meant to US. It may not matter to you, but it does to us. The screen names coming out the woodwork to throw their two cents in, you know who you are, to say "I told you so", "Those clubs have always been garbage", "Nike doesn't belong" and on and on truly must be miserable human beings. Most of us Nike brethren do not wish ill will towards other brands because we realize everyone has a choice and ours was simply a 6 letter word phrase: SWOOSH...I wonder if the awesome custom clubs dude I have been speaking with the last few days lost his job. A gentlemen named Bastiaan that worked with me to help me get what I wanted providing excellent CS. I'm sure he did just like the awesome folks at the Oven, that COTA and the gang visits, that got their pink slips. I'm sure they will all land somewhere else, most of them anyways, but they worked for Nike by choice and I'm sure the loved what they did just like us who love what we play.

For myself, and I'm sure there are others, Nike and golf go hand in hand for most of my adult life. I didn't start playing golf into late in HS (1997) and I immediately gravitated towards ANYTHING Nike produced for golf because Nike is what I grew up on playing baseball/basketball/football and general clothing items. Maybe it was Michael Jordan or Bo Jackson or any other late 80's early 90's athlete that was promoting the swoosh but from grade school through today Nike has been part of my core. When Tiger burst onto the scene Nike is what I wanted. Nike is also part of my wife's and kids core, more the first born (now almost 7) vs the little guy, but they too have grown up with Nike and yes Nike golf for the big boy.

I have played Nike soft/hard goods from the dress shoes that gave me blisters playing 18 and blue woods that weren't very good to today and the excellent shoes and smurf blue clubs. Every single line of clubs with the exception of the covert series, took a step away from golf for a time, has been in my bag. Blue 275/350, T40, Ignite, T60, Blades, Pro Combos, SV wedges, CCI irons, SUMO, VR, VAPOR, FLY, PHOTO BLUE, and VOLT have been names that I have played for almost 20 years. Yes I have strayed, what club HO hasn't, but always came back. I've bought JDM only Nike clubs and cut the shafts off to fit into luggage to bring something unique back home. I have played some of my best and worst golf with equipment that have a swoosh on it. I have also played some of my best and worst golf with Taylormade, Titliest, Callaway, Cobra, Mizuno, Wilson and many others. But I always came back to Nike. Its the old saying "Indian not the Arrow" and I have never in my golfing life finished a round and said this "Nike club was the difference" good or bad today. My oldest just got his first set of Nike junior clubs, the Red TW set, and he loves looking at Daddy's other Nikes. He wants shoes like mine, gloves like mine, balls like mine, and even clubs just like mine. When we watch golf together he see's the pro's wearing and playing what we have and he gets excited. Sure the same could be said about other brands, but Nike is what he knows.

So yes, some of us are truly taken back by this. We were eagerly awaiting the 2017 gear. We scooped up the blowouts on 2016 gear not because of the sales but because we could add to our collection still anticipating buying the next generation. And less than 24 hours ago wind for our sails came to a screeching halt. For some of us its hitting hard, imagine if GM was allowed to fail (another discussion) and millions of Chevy Dudes now had to buy Fords, the feeling is the same. Speaking for myself personally there isn't another brand at present that I can switch to for clubs period. Nothing moved my needle like Nike did. I'm glad I managed to get what I could from these blowouts and I'm thinking about hanging onto the 2015 stuff as well instead of trading.

I know its a long rant, but so be it, but some of you need a little perspective as to why some of us feel like our kittens were punched.

Buddy, the writng has been on the wall with company for years when it comes to golf equipement, all one had to do is look at the quarterly and yearly earnings statement for Nike golf, it was inevitable. Certainly laying off 80% of the sales staff and some principals of Nike golf their product sat on shelves.

My condolences

I have a lot of UA stuff, and have bought my kid a lot of the baseball/football gear, but when it comes to golf apparel/shoes, Nike just blows UA away IMO. The best thing UA does in golf is their new gloves.

My point is not at the golf division level but the macro company level...

Never been a Nike fan of anything but I certainly feel bad for all the folks who's lives were effected with this move by Nike.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Its going to be interesting to see where all of the Nike players land.

PXG Black Ops 9.75* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Motore X F1 7X

PXG  Gen4 3 Iron - Recoil ES Hybrid F5

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DGTI120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI120 X100/S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

This.

I love my VPC irons and my 006 putter, I will game them until they wear out. I never really cared for the Vapor Fly woods. Its really too bad about peoples jobs and how this happened, but unfortunately its business.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

Am I the only one that would like to have only 2 or 3 golf equipment makers max? So there are not soo many clubs to decide between.

One item to remember is the smaller the number of OEM's,the higher the cost will be to the public.....they are very close to pricing

themselves out of the range of the people who buy their products........$500 and more for a driver? it will soon be the norm.

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

most Nike players will keep playing the equipment in their bags for the next 2 years. No changes No new stuff

No way. Tiger and Rory already pretty much said they are moving on after the '16 season.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

i think this is closer to "golf is dying" or at least the pie is shrinking than "nike made garbage clubs"

apparel has better margins than equipment. the R&D and manufacturing cost for a $500 driver or $1000 irons is way higher than the same for say 10x Nike polos, or 5x pairs of shoes.

2016 WITB

TW driver diamana blue 73s
Vapor Flex 3w diamana s+ 70
712u 2i, 4i dg x100
Mp5 4-PW PX6.0
RTX 2.0 52, 58
Method 007 @ 33.5"

.... i think its set?!?!

I liked Nike Golf products, still have two Ignite 410's tucked away that produced some of the longest drives I've ever hit. SQ 13* 3 wood is as good as a fairway can get.

However it always stuck with me when Jason Gore got out of his Nike contract early because he was hitting the Nike ball 20+ yards less then the Titleist, that's a performance gap that one can not look past.

The amount some of the first, second and third tier guys are getting paid by these companies just makes no sense for their financial well being. A lot of clubs have to be sold to pay for these guys. Tiger could arguably be blamed for this, prior to him the amount of $$$ in equipment contracts were quite small.

Lastly there is so little performance difference between mfg's in 2016 making it hard to differentiate yourself from the next guy, everyone makes great clubs now. Cleveland was the first to stop, Nike the second, who is going to be the third?

I would hate to be Tiger's FedEx or UPS person next 2-3 days. EVERY golf manufacturer will be sending him equipment.

But he doesn't play golf

And you don't own or manage a golf manufacturing company.

I sure don't

I don't like losing money

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

I thought it was funny schwartzal just switched to PXG

Some blogger on "Golf Central Daily" absolutely nailed this a week before the Open. Made the connection of Schwartzel leaving Nike for PXG mid season and before a major to Nike getting out of the equipment business and Schwartzel was the first pro to find out and bail.

Not sure what connection, if any, exists but it can't be that coincidental, can it?

Anybody here think that this might lead to PXG offering much more affordable equipment? Seems brilliant to me. Come into the market, create a huge golf wide discussion on their product, and then sign some of these guys up and push a more affordable product. I have little doubt there would be a line out the door for any PXG equipment at the same price point as the other major companies. just a thought...

PXG isn't lowering their prices anytime soon

If their goal is to only sell to multi millionaires and sales are good, then that probably makes sense.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

Oh man. Was out enjoying a round. Then Got the text. Gutted me. I started with a taylormade set as my first real set not knowing much about golf. They cost me $300 brand new for a 2009 set? I Always was eyeing a set of Nike clubs. I told myself I'd get Nike golf equipment one day. Just didn't want to pay the $500 or so for the covert irons at that time.

I wouldn't touch titleist. Ping. Or any other "traditional" golf equipment company's goods. I didn't care if they said its 15 yds longer. It was more expensive anyways. Tiger was the man. And I wanted to play Nike equipment.

I wanted it all. I wanted the putter. I wanted wedges. I wanted the irons. I wanted the hybrid. I wanted the fairway wood. I wanted the driver. I wanted the bag. I wanted the golf balls. I didn't care what tiger played previously. He always intrigued me but I'd say he was the biggest reason I even knew what golf was in the early 2000's I'm a self taught hack. I have really only played for a few years.

Since I started playing I've tried other equipment. Trying clubs old and new. But nothing spoke to me like the Nike golf equipment. The colors. The bold fashion statements on the apparel. The feel (relative to what I owned). The innovations.

I'm close to my goal of completing a Nike bag. Vpc (which I chose over ap1 and s55's), vf 3w. Vp driver. Nike air hybrid ll bag. Just need the hybrid and wedges. maybe I'll get that stuff for cheap now.

I'm almost heartbroken. I'll get over it. I'll wear a hole in all the clubs before I buy new ones. My short lived "club ho-ing" days are over since there'll be no more Nike equipment to ho on.

Haters are just that - haters. Glad all you haters are relishing in "Nike fanboy" sorrows. Just remember this day when there are no courses to go to because you wanted "traditional" equipment and the products that COULD have increased the numbers of golfers (or hacks like myself) don't exist. Because I am one of those that probably wouldn't have tried out the sport had it not been for Nike golf and tiger woods.

RIP Nike golf. It's been fun!

Speaking for many who saw a lot of you Tiger influenced guys come to the game?

Feel free to stop playing we won't miss you :)

Golf was not only fine before he burst on the scene it was better for those of us who'd been playing our entire lives. No more red shirt black pant guys playing the tips slapping a 115 on the card with their 5 hour round.

I'm not talking about you specifically obviously but there was definitely a segment who came to the game because of Tiger that missed some of the knowledge gained picking it up young and developing. The latest generation to come to golf, at least in my area, is a blue collar crowd that parks carts on fringes, blasts Kenny Chesney out their radio, and basically sees golf as bowling outside. They can go too :)

In fact if they go you can wear the red shirt and play the tips :)

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2