2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Saw some new Callaway Woods last night (The Epic Thread)

jimpsycho

Every year we hear the hype of the new driver. Longer, straighter, better ballspeed on mishits, yada, yada, blah, blah, etc etc. At the most all that is ever achieved is minor incremental improvements that are barely noticeable. Easy to be jaded and skeptical. I know I am. Well let me just say this. Believe the hype. It's real. I hit it both drivers today vs my gamer m2 tour issue w speeder 757 Evo 3. M2 gives me perfect numbers basically. 1.51 - 1.52 smash factor when I get all of it. Both Epics beat it in ballspeed easily. I preferred the non Sub Zero version (which was a big surprise to me) and that driver setup for me as best I could with the stock Rogue Max, the best shot beat my best shot with my m2 by 8 mph in ballspeed. (ever seen 1.55 smash factor? I hadn't either and Ive done more fittings than I can count) It easily averaged about 4 mph more ballspeed and the number didn't go down much at all on mishits. I was a major skeptic and now I cannot wait to get my hands on one of these to play.

What about the second part of the equation...dispersion? I am all for longer if it is as straight.

Thanks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will the SZ be readily available or is it going to be like the XR SZ where it's essentially special order only?

I'll be getting one version or the other regardless come release day.

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

Every year we hear the hype of the new driver. Longer, straighter, better ballspeed on mishits, yada, yada, blah, blah, etc etc. At the most all that is ever achieved is minor incremental improvements that are barely noticeable. Easy to be jaded and skeptical. I know I am. Well let me just say this. Believe the hype. It's real. I hit it both drivers today vs my gamer m2 tour issue w speeder 757 Evo 3. M2 gives me perfect numbers basically. 1.51 - 1.52 smash factor when I get all of it. Both Epics beat it in ballspeed easily. I preferred the non Sub Zero version (which was a big surprise to me) and that driver setup for me as best I could with the stock Rogue Max, the best shot beat my best shot with my m2 by 8 mph in ballspeed. (ever seen 1.55 smash factor? I hadn't either and Ive done more fittings than I can count) It easily averaged about 4 mph more ballspeed and the number didn't go down much at all on mishits. I was a major skeptic and now I cannot wait to get my hands on one of these to play.

What about the second part of the equation...dispersion? I am all for longer if it is as straight.

Thanks

Dispersion is all you, it is just a function of face to path. If you hit one driver straight and another all over the map it is either the shaft, the head shape, face angle, or weight placement in the head (such as toe heavy, heel heavy, or nuetral. Something in the club does not fit your swing, but that will be unique to you, not universal.

Example, I hit my M1 very accurately, with the M2 I am all over the place, and this is with the same exact shaft.

With the Nike Vapor Fly Pro I was hitting bullets with the D+ 70X, I put in a fujikura evolution 757x to try and up the ball speed and it was all over the place. The shaft felt to whippy and I could not control it. I did hit it one day in flip flops and that was the best I ever hit that particular club.

I suspect many will be inaccurate with this driver through no fault of the club. After reading about 7-8 mph ball speed increases people are going to over swing, try to kill it, then complain that it's all over the place. I will probably be one of those people, I just won't complain about it.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Do we know if it's going to be $500 or $1000 yet? I bought a G LS and an LTD this year, not sure i can upgrade driver again but it will be tempting!

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

Do we know if it's going to be $500 or $1000 yet? I bought a G LS and an LTD this year, not sure i can upgrade driver again but it will be tempting!

$500 not $1000. The $1000 thing was a mistake made my Greg/PGA43 here.

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

I come back to this thread after 2 weeks and it's only $500. :yahoo: Ive already saved up a ton for a Cool Clubs fitting ... and now we wait for 2017 and this club to drop.

The hype and associated positive stories with this club is on par with Tree House beer atm.

nothing but positive reviews on this club, even from Cally haters....

I have to hit these bad boys on the flightscope and see for myself. People are going crazy over it!

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

I have to hit these bad boys on the flightscope and see for myself. People are going crazy over it!

What do you think Zach? You think they could really sneak 8+ mph in ball speed gains past the USGA?

The hype train is rolling! I hope that driver head delivers on these rumors

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

ZH circling the Callaway threads.. something is going on here, not sure if I like it or not.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Look guys.....let's not rush to all say that this club is great and awesome and the hype is real. OK? Last thing we want is for Callaway to think they wont gain anything by inviting like 8 or whatever guys to their facility to try it. I mean i've got no dog in this fight....i just think a healthy amount of doubt is a good thing

I mean the club probably sucks am i right?

We should definitely hit it first to make sure

(checking to see if flights already booked)

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

ZH circling the Callaway threads.. something is going on here, not sure if I like it or not.

? If 8mph is true that's awesome!

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

All this hype is not unsimilar to the Xhot Pro 3 wood hype at the time of Callawrx 1!!!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

If 8mph is true that's awesome!

8mph.. good for good? C'mon Z!!!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

�� If 8mph is true that's awesome!

I don't know how that is possible.... if it is it's the best driver in past 100 years and would be Epic

I heard the driver is terrible and it's all an elaborate marketing scheme.

You all save your money and I will pre-order just to make sure it's okay ;)

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Ok that's good. Will definitely sell a ton of them it sounds like. Probably would have sold a bunch at $1000 haha

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

These should be pretty interesting. If all the hype is true I feel like the value of my M2 is dropping fast because the BST will be flooded with them.

If all the hype is real, will be more than a bunch of M2's on the BST. May need to take to ebay for dumping drivers this Spring.

I love Callaway, and am excited about this but remain a bit skeptical. I am not sure the difference will be that noticeable for the "average" guy. I can't wait for the guys to give feedback from the upcoming trip.

Will we be seeing a full run of pics in the next few weeks?

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

These should be pretty interesting. If all the hype is true I feel like the value of my M2 is dropping fast because the BST will be flooded with them.

If all the hype is real, will be more than a bunch of M2's on the BST. May need to take to ebay for dumping drivers this Spring.

I love Callaway, and am excited about this but remain a bit skeptical. I am not sure the difference will be that noticeable for the "average" guy. I can't wait for the guys to give feedback from the upcoming trip.

Will we be seeing a full run of pics in the next few weeks?

No doubt!! There also could be a bunch of Epic's on BST and Ebay as well. I'm sure some players will see a 5-8mph gain in ball speed but I'm thinking there are going to be a lot of disappointed players as well. It will be interesting to start reading some of the reports/reviews as they start getting posted online. I'm much more interested in what someone like me, with a driver head speed around 93mph, can gain in ball speed.

Now, give me a set of iron/wedges that will cut my proximity to the hole in half and I'd be all over that deal............. :blind:

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

�� If 8mph is true that's awesome!

I don't know how that is possible.... if it is it's the best driver in past 100 years and would be Epic

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the C.O.R. come into play here??

Wouldn't such significant gains in club speed turning into ball speed (more efficient energy transfer) be restricted by COR limits?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Not for drivers, which are governed by CT, or the amount of time the ball stays on the face before rebounding. I seriously think they found a way around this test.

Summary:

http://golf.about.com/od/equipment/fl/Characteristic-Time.htm

"The CT test involves using a pendulum device to drop (swing) a steel ball so that it strikes the face of the driver being tested. Very precise sensors within that ball measure the amount of time there is contact between the two objects.

The CT limit for drivers is 239 microseconds. A microsecond is one-millionth of a second, so 239-millionths of a second is the limit. However, the governing bodies allow a tolerance of 18 microseconds, so as long as the characteristic time measures at 257 microseconds (239 plus the tolerance of 18), a driver is ruled conforming for spring-like effect. A CT reading above 257 means the driver is non-conforming.

You can find an in-depth description of the characteristic time testing procedure, complete with drawings of the testing apparatus, in the Procedure For Measuring The Flexibility Of A Golf Club Head .pdf linked from the Test Protocols for Equipment page on USGA.com.

Note that the USGA and R&A test characteristic time only for drivers; COR continues to be the method of measuring spring-like effect in fairway woods, hybrids and irons. (Manufacturers, however, might cite CT for clubs other than drivers.)"

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

This might be the first time in history where the users build more hype then the actual OEM.

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

This might be the first time in history where the users build more hype then the actual OEM.

Minus Harry coming on here and explaining why they didn't want a picture of the driver out we haven't heard a peep from Callaway. It's been unbelievable to see the hype generated by the public.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper (1° weak)

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F (51°), 56F, 60M (59°)

LAB Link

Jones Rover Stand Jet Black

After looking at the data and after a few modeling runs it appears that an increase of 8 mph of ball speed will simultaneously end world hunger and bring world peace. #EPIC.

THAT is truly #EPIC! :)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!