2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Use a chipper club or not?

Tanner25

Nothing screams amateur more than a chipper...

But then you lose to him because he gets it up and down 90% of the time... :taunt:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

Fortunately I gave up any delusional aspirations of being mistaken for a pro long ago.

Instead, I'm quite content to be the old hack whose attire isn't quite coordinated, lugs around 5 woods and a chipper in his bag and still somehow thrashes his way to a sub 80 round.

At the end of the day, the important thing is what makes golf the most enjoyable for the player. I seem to play my best and be happiest when my bag consists of what I like and not what some judgmental snot on the tee box thinks my bag says about me. :-)

To me, seems like a waste of one of 14 clubs allowed....too limited in use, whereas if learn to use a 'regular' club, be that a wedge, 7 iron, whatever, adds more versatility to your game.....how do you flop shot a chipper when the shot is needed?

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

Played with a Odyssey X-Act for a while when I had Tiger-like yips chipping. It helped improve my mechanics such that I don't need it any longer, but I'd keep it if it if I could play 15 clubs. Pretty easy to hit from 100+ yards also.

At a 17 handicap, is there truly a gap in your bag bigger than the one around the greens missed? Put that chipper back in your bag, and take out any single club other than the putter! You'll probably be better off. Not to pick on you, I'm picking on all golfers missing more than half the greens in regulation. Use a chipper, after all, you're chipping on nearly every hole...

I guess players like me are the other side of the spectrum. On average I miss half the GIR, but I believe that's the reason I am a good chipper. I have plenty of experience with the green side game!

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

To me, seems like a waste of one of 14 clubs allowed....too limited in use, whereas if learn to use a 'regular' club, be that a wedge, 7 iron, whatever, adds more versatility to your game.....how do you flop shot a chipper when the shot is needed?

You don't.

If your good at chipping with an 8 or 9, or flopping a 60 degree or any other club, no reason to bag a chipper.

The only reason to bag a chipper is if you chip better with it than the other alternatives that may be in your bag. And - if you do happen to chip better with it - then the opportunity to score with a chipper type club in your bag may bring lower scores than bagging a 60 degree or perhaps, as in my case, a 4 iron. Remember - chippers are designed to chip, unlike an 8 iron. There are some players - almost entirely amateurs - who get better performance from a club designed for the task over a club that may adapt well to the task. Subtle but for some folks an important differentiation.

They're not for everyone. But, as we all see every week, there are a lot of folks who would benefit from experimenting with a club that's designed to make serviceable chip shots easier to accomplish. I probably hit my Odyssey 8 or 10 times a round. It's one of my favorite clubs. So for me the question is reversed: What club would I put in my bag that would be valuable enough to replace a club I hit every other hole with effect?

If a wedge isn't happening, then use the chipper if it is an improvement. The one trick pony idea is spot on and all, but versatility in and of itself is foolish. Use whatever is legal and does the job.

A friend JP used to play with used one, but dudes made fun of him. So he kinda felt he had to be great with the chipper, but it was merely a marginal improvement over his wedge or 8 iron. So he pressed it but in the end, he just quit golf entirely. It wasn't surprising to JP that he quit, as he had a lot of unrealistic expectations for his golf game. Somewhere along the line an instructor put into his head that club head speed was the dillio. Ok, it's important yes, but he wasn't returning the club square, so he'd hit it far, but wayward. Big surprise. Tried to get him to stop trying to be like Tiger but alas...he could not hear JP.

He also played blades which were not beneficial to his game. Ego? No, someone he respected told him blades are the bees knees....nice guy, but not a realistic relationship to the game.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

When I was learning to play back in the late 80's early 90's my Dad had one that was about a 5 iron loft, a wedge length shaft, and a solid piece of medal. I never chipped with it that much, but it was great from up trees. Either loft it or it got lifted from my bag and he was not happy. I still game if I had it.

This thread has convinced me to get a chipper. I am a 10 hcp but struggle mightily with my chipping. I have tried my hybrid with some luck but hard fir me when I switch courses.

Has anyone used both the nibluck and odyssey? I am leaning towards the tank, but open to others thoughts.

I have both, and though I am not sure my experience is going to answer any questions you may have I will share my thoughts on both.

I started with the Niblick. Very easy to hit, can use it for both pitches and chips. For me, it basically was another wedge with lots of bounce. Great out of the bunkers. Chipping with it was akin to chipping with a very forgiving wedge, and I think of it as an alternative to any of my other wedges. I swap them around, though the niblick has not seen much action for the last year or so as I have become quite comfortable with my Cleveland wedges.

The Odyssey is different. It sets up more upright, very much like a putter and has what is basically a putter grip. Since I have a lot of confidence in my putting, this was perfect. On shots anywhere from right on the fringe to twenty or thirty feet off the green (assuming a clear path to the green with no obstacles like thick rough or sand), I can put a putting stroke on the club and it performs remarkably like a putt, only getting elevation very easily in contrast to a hybrid, which at least for me gets a bit trickier to control the impact and the elevation. The other thing about the Odyssey is that the rollout is fairly predictable as well.

The Odyssey is a bit weird from further than twenty yards out or so. It can be effective at longer yardages, and I do use it with a stroke akin to a traditional chipping stroke when I am well off the green, but I usually default to my wedge if I am further than 20 yards out or if I have short-sided myself, whereas if I was carrying the Niblick I would use it as my wedge. I'm still toying with full shots with it on the range, but once I'm more than 20 yards out I almost always want to be bringing the ball in high anyway.

In that sense, the Niblick for me replaces either my 58 or 52 degree wedge, depending on how I am feeling that day. The Odyssey I made room for by keeping my wedges and removing my 4-iron, which I cover by choking down on a 7 wood I carry. The way I think about it, which may not be how others do, is that the Niblick may be the way to go if you would like to keep the more traditional angles and techniques as you chip but just want a friendlier club with more bounce, whereas the Odyssey is a way to go if you would like to extend your putting stroke well beyond the green while keeping the ability to hit chips with it as well.

Hope this helps.

Bryson DeChambeau is currently building a set with 13 chippers for next season.

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

I'm a 3 index.

Used a chipper (niblick) last year during a serious case of chipping yips.

Got so bad I would rather hit an 80 yard pitch than a chip from 2 feet off the green. Playing partners were relentless in teasing me...until I became automatic with that ugly club.

I slowly incorporated my normal wedges over a few months and had no issues this year. But the niblick helped me during a rough time on the golf course.

I can't knock it because I've never used one, so if it works, by all means go for it, I don't have an issue with it at all, use whatever helps you lower your scores...some of us use everything in-between driver to putter near and around the green, so again, whatever works for you...good luck

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Why is it that a chipper has that stigma? But, it's ok to have 460 driver heads with sliding weights, draw and fade bias. Hell, I was looking at the reviews for the M1 and M2 - you have all kinds of these features on hybrids now, too. For some reason, these changes are cool. But, start discussing a chipper and the golfer is considered weak. Kind of strange no?

This thread has convinced me to get a chipper. I am a 10 hcp but struggle mightily with my chipping. I have tried my hybrid with some luck but hard fir me when I switch courses.

Has anyone used both the nibluck and odyssey? I am leaning towards the tank, but open to others thoughts.

I have both, and though I am not sure my experience is going to answer any questions you may have I will share my thoughts on both.

I started with the Niblick. Very easy to hit, can use it for both pitches and chips. For me, it basically was another wedge with lots of bounce. Great out of the bunkers. Chipping with it was akin to chipping with a very forgiving wedge, and I think of it as an alternative to any of my other wedges. I swap them around, though the niblick has not seen much action for the last year or so as I have become quite comfortable with my Cleveland wedges.

The Odyssey is different. It sets up more upright, very much like a putter and has what is basically a putter grip. Since I have a lot of confidence in my putting, this was perfect. On shots anywhere from right on the fringe to twenty or thirty feet off the green (assuming a clear path to the green with no obstacles like thick rough or sand), I can put a putting stroke on the club and it performs remarkably like a putt, only getting elevation very easily in contrast to a hybrid, which at least for me gets a bit trickier to control the impact and the elevation. The other thing about the Odyssey is that the rollout is fairly predictable as well.

The Odyssey is a bit weird from further than twenty yards out or so. It can be effective at longer yardages, and I do use it with a stroke akin to a traditional chipping stroke when I am well off the green, but I usually default to my wedge if I am further than 20 yards out or if I have short-sided myself, whereas if I was carrying the Niblick I would use it as my wedge. I'm still toying with full shots with it on the range, but once I'm more than 20 yards out I almost always want to be bringing the ball in high anyway.

In that sense, the Niblick for me replaces either my 58 or 52 degree wedge, depending on how I am feeling that day. The Odyssey I made room for by keeping my wedges and removing my 4-iron, which I cover by choking down on a 7 wood I carry. The way I think about it, which may not be how others do, is that the Niblick may be the way to go if you would like to keep the more traditional angles and techniques as you chip but just want a friendlier club with more bounce, whereas the Odyssey is a way to go if you would like to extend your putting stroke well beyond the green while keeping the ability to hit chips with it as well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the thoughts!

One addition question- how is it in the rough/deep rough. Is there enough loft to get it out of there if not too much carry needed?

Thanks!

I didn't read the all the responses but to the OP - you don't list your handicap but I would ask, what if your goal in the game? If you are a high handicapper w/no aspirations of serious improvement and want to have fun I'd say use the chipper. But if you are serious about improvement then I don't think a chipper is the way to go. It takes up a valuable slot in the bag and does the job that several other clubs in your bag are capable of when utilized properly.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the thoughts!

One addition question- how is it in the rough/deep rough. Is there enough loft to get it out of there if not too much carry needed?

Thanks!

In most cases, yes. Depends of course on how deep in the rough you are, and probably what type of grass.

I think that would come down to the style of putting grip you use, and how comfortable you are utilizing a traditional chipping strike with a club that's a bit more upright with a larger grip.

I don't think I'm bad at chipping. I'm just better at it with the Odyssey at the moment. But I'm not afraid to use another club if it fits my eye better. Not much of an answer, but it really depends on what type of rough and how deep.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Thanks!

In most cases, yes. Depends of course on how deep in the rough you are, and probably what type of grass.

I think that would come down to the style of putting grip you use, and how comfortable you are utilizing a traditional chipping strike with a club that's a bit more upright with a larger grip.

I don't think I'm bad at chipping. I'm just better at it with the Odyssey at the moment. But I'm not afraid to use another club if it fits my eye better. Not much of an answer, but it really depends on what type of rough and how deep.

thanks! That makes sense. Look forward to picking mine up tomorrow

Why is it that a chipper has that stigma? But, it's ok to have 460 driver heads with sliding weights, draw and fade bias. Hell, I was looking at the reviews for the M1 and M2 - you have all kinds of these features on hybrids now, too. For some reason, these changes are cool. But, start discussing a chipper and the golfer is considered weak. Kind of strange no?

Spot on

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

When I first started playing the game I considered a chipper. I too thought it was one dimensional, so I never made the purchase. After this past year I started coaching a golf team with a lot of beginners and I thought about buying one to throw in a bag or two while they worked on other parts of their game. I thought it might give them a little added motivation when they all struggled with chipping. I still am not sold but I am thinking about buying one to try it out.

Even if a chipper is not in your bag, having access to one for practice can be very valuable. Hit a few shots with a chipper, then figure out what club in the bag duplicates it in every way, from loft, to grip, to stance. I used to go to the back of the fringe on the putting green and alternate chipping and putting to get the two as close as possible in stroke and feel. There has been a big push by the modern better golfer to use a LW for all chipping. Those with the talent can get away with this, and even thrive, but for the more average player, having a chipper or chipper like shot can be a huge stroke saver...

I've got a decent enough short game, but I'm seriously considering throwing one of my old Niblicks in the bag...probably the 42* for bump and run type shots around the green. I'm also a low single, and I only carry 13 clubs anyway, so I can afford the "one dimensional" aspect the NIblick would give me. My thinking, of course, is that if I am even just a little better with that than whatever club I would alternately use, then one or two shots saved a round would get me that much closer to scratch.

Also, it's winter, and any golf I get right now will be on course as weather permit, so practice time will be pretty much non-existent.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

But honestly, use a wood/hybrid, a 7/8/9, or get a lob with a huge bounce on it. A niblick-style chipper seems like a complete waste to me since you can only use it when you miss a green.

Fun video! You need to putt it! Every chunked chip looked to be used with a LW. I think a chipper is way more versatile than say, a driver...or even a putter. LOL. Seriously though, if you're going to waste a spot in you bag with a driver or a putter, may as well use a chipper too.