New Ping driver - 2017

mixxedbag

I am most interested in the sound and feel improvements. Forged Ti face would definitely be welcome!

If they maintained the forgiveness of the G/G30 line with significant improved sound and feel, I am in.

Don't really care if it was 460cc or 445cc.... close enough.

I also wonder what they have done with the head weight.

For me. the G30 and G were too heavy to build a 45" or longer club.

If the Tour shaft now is also counterbalanced, I assume the head weight will again be heavy.

This sort of limits our ability to pair it up with non-counterbalanced shafts at full length

(45" or longer ) and still achieve humanly feasible swing weights. Not everyone needs > D5 drivers!!

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am most interested in the sound and feel improvements. Forged Ti face would definitely be welcome!

If they maintained the forgiveness of the G/G30 line with significant improved sound and feel, I am in.

Don't really care if it was 460cc or 445cc.... close enough.

I also wonder what they have done with the head weight.

For me. the G30 and G were too heavy to build a 45" or longer club.

If the Tour shaft now is also counterbalanced, I assume the head weight will again be heavy.

This sort of limits our ability to pair it up with non-counterbalanced shafts at full length

(45" or longer ) and still achieve humanly feasible swing weights. Not everyone needs > D5 drivers!!

From my brief time with the G400 head, they integrated the weight into the head to give it an almost seamless look. Unlike the G30/G where the head weight kind of sticks out like a sore thumb.

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

Spent the afternoon hitting the new product so other notes,

Dragonfly is also visible on bottom of head of driver. Clubs sit open when soled at address. Sound and feel is great. The LS version feels more solid than regular version. The new crossover looks much cleaner is satin finish, not as wide in the sole and added tungsten in the toe is a nice addition. Ma raging steel is used in the fairways for more flex in the face.

G400 iron is slightly smaller sole width especially in the toe and slimmer top line.

If I can answer any other questions let me know.

Pics were NOT allowed by the way

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

Dragonfly is also visible on bottom of head of driver. Clubs sit open when soled at address. Sound and feel is great. The LS version feels more solid than regular version. The new crossover looks much cleaner is satin finish, not as wide in the sole and added tungsten in the toe is a nice addition. Ma raging steel is used in the fairways for more flex in the face.

G400 iron is slightly smaller sole width especially in the toe and slimmer top line.

Still a titanium crown or have they moved to graphite like other manufacturers seem to be doing?

Thanks for sharing, what is the sales pitch towards the head size being smaller vs. forgiveness? I did not think Ping would go this route but seems like a solid product.

Ping G425 MAX w/Kioshi White 6S
TM Sim Rocket 3W w/AD DI8

Ping G425 Hybrid w/AD DI9
Ping Blueprint 4-9 w/SF110S
TM MG3 50, 56TW, 60TW w/MMT125
Ping PLD3
Pro v1

Did you get to hit the new fairway woods by any chance?

Ping G400 Max / Speeder 661 Evo IV 
Sim Ti 3 / HZRDUS Blue 75
Cobra Radspeed 5 / HZRDUS Blue 75
Oven Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 / Modus3 105
Ping I210 5-U / Modus3 105
Vokey SM8 54D / Modus3 125

Vokey SM8 58 LBK / Modus3 125

Nike Origin Naked B2-01

Any idea if they have expanded the range of Crossovers? I like mine so much I'd love to try a 6.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

The rep explained the materials used in the new line has lead to faster ball speeds. He also talked about a total moi number ( side to side and sole to crown) of over 9,000 in this head size.

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

The rep explained the materials used in the new line has lead to faster ball speeds. He also talked about a total moi number ( side to side and sole to crown) of over 9,000 in this head size.

9000????

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

9000????

That's a combined value, not the single value typically quoted.

But it does have shock and awe value, so someone in marketing is looking at this thread and doing a little fist pump.

9000????

That's a combined value, not the single value typically quoted.

But it does have shock and awe value, so someone in marketing is looking at this thread and doing a little fist pump.

LOL! I love marketing. Not gonna lie!

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

9000????

Yep. That's the total MOI number. For reference, I think the Epic was in the mid to high 8000 range according to Callaway.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Does anyone know if the G400 irons have the core eye technology, the round disc in the back of the club?

I don't know if they do, but they should. It's a no brainer- ball speeds were super consistent off the sweet spot for the GMax when I tried them.

Almost as consistent as my Wishon's.

That's a telling statement. The GMax ball speeds are off the charts high. If they can pack that into a smaller GI (G iron type) package, these are going to be GOOD!

Thanks Callaway for inventing a completely useless marketing based measurement.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

2017 M2 driver moi was over 5,000 if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, that is the usual measurement for MOI(the one with the USGA limit of 5900), not total MOI, which is different.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

2017 M2 driver moi was over 5,000 if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, that is the usual measurement for MOI(the one with the USGA limit of 5900), not total MOI, which is different.

Yes, I wasn't sure what the max moi was, but thanks for clarifying!

As long as its as forgiving as my G30 LS I'll be a happy camper. I can hit that thing anywhere on the face and it works out.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Im finally thinking about upgrading my entire bag, at what point does Ping start showing/recommending this new equipment? I was hoping to do a fitting at the Ping HQ in the beginning of July, with this new driver on the verge of release will I still be fitted only for the current G driver lineup or would they include this new driver and I have the option to purchase after release?

Titleist T150 Irons

Titleist U505 4 Utility
Titleist Tsi2 Driver
Ping G425 5 Wood
Ping G425 7 Wood
Titleist SM9 48, 54, 58 Wedges
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11

Im finally thinking about upgrading my entire bag, at what point does Ping start showing/recommending this new equipment? I was hoping to do a fitting at the Ping HQ in the beginning of July, with this new driver on the verge of release will I still be fitted only for the current G driver lineup or would they include this new driver and I have the option to purchase after release?

Ping doesn't offer fittings at their HQ anymore. When I was last there last week there was a sign at the repair department stating that you'd have to call some 800 # to schedule an outdoor fitting. They are trying out outdoor fittings at local courses. The one course I noticed where the fittings are done is at the Kierland Golf Club in Scottsdale. Not sure if the fittings cost money now either since they're now being conducted off site from Ping.

My Current WITB:

Ping G400 LST - Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.5

Ping G - 5 & 7 Wood - Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.5

Cobra Amp Cell - 4 Iron – Project X EvenFlow White 6.5

Ping i200 5-PW – KBS Tour

Ping Glide 4.0 Stealth 50,54,58 – TT Dynamic Gold

Cobra Vintage Stingray-40 

Ping doesn't offer fittings at their HQ anymore. When I was last there last week there was a sign at the repair department stating that you'd have to call some 800 # to schedule an outdoor fitting. They are trying out outdoor fittings at local courses. The one course I noticed where the fittings are done is at the Kierland Golf Club in Scottsdale. Not sure if the fittings cost money now either since they're now being conducted off site from Ping.

Huh.. I have a work friend going to Arizona for a fitting with his rep soon as this line is available

Huh.. I have a work friend going to Arizona for a fitting with his rep soon as this line is available

Oh wow thanks for the heads up, its about a 2 1/2 hour drive for me, I guess I'd better call first. My driver is 5 years old so the Ping G at the current sale prices is looking pretty promising, I was hoping to get fit at Ping and order those specs at TGW. I was fit about 5 years ago at Carlsbad Golf Center in California but My swing was a lot different then and I was never fit for wedges/hybrids. The PGA superstore in scottsdale does the tour van fitting that looks pretty interesting, maybe I'll have to give that a try.

Titleist T150 Irons

Titleist U505 4 Utility
Titleist Tsi2 Driver
Ping G425 5 Wood
Ping G425 7 Wood
Titleist SM9 48, 54, 58 Wedges
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11