2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

New Ping driver - 2017

mixxedbag

The Epic could not beat my Ping G driver with a Tour Blue shaft in it for me. SS is 105 and the G was longer and straighter than the Epic.

Phil would hit a lot more fairways with the Ping than the epic, that is for sure.

That's why PING is the #1 driver in golf.....wait.

It's almost as if Callaway and TaylorMade aren't paying a ton of money to players to get that ranking

You mean PING doesn't pay tour players? Bubba plays for free? What a generous fellow.

Please recognize my point which is obvious to most everyone in the industry and golfers alike. TaylorMade and Callaway pay far more staffers and pay big money to them so that they can market their claim and go back and forth on who has the #1 driver in golf. Ping, which pays fewer golfers and pays far less money to them, for a while managed to outsell both of those companies with the G30 without the marketing hype.

The #1 driver in golf claim is a marketing drive scheme. The Epic thread is clear evidence of that.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Epic could not beat my Ping G driver with a Tour Blue shaft in it for me. SS is 105 and the G was longer and straighter than the Epic.

Phil would hit a lot more fairways with the Ping than the epic, that is for sure.

It's almost as if Callaway and TaylorMade aren't paying a ton of money to players to get that ranking

You mean PING doesn't pay tour players? Bubba plays for free? What a generous fellow.

Please recognize my point which is obvious to most everyone in the industry and golfers alike. TaylorMade and Callaway pay far more staffers and pay big money to them so that they can market their claim and go back and forth on who has the #1 driver in golf. Ping, which pays fewer golfers and pays far less money to them, for a while managed to outsell both of those companies with the G30 without the marketing hype.

The #1 driver in golf claim is a marketing drive scheme. The Epic thread is clear evidence of that.

The Ping G30 driver was the number one selling Driver for 18 straight months when it first came out.

I did not read thru this complete thread, but at a recent demo day I was talking with the Ping fitter, and a Ping Sales Rep. I asked him if Ping had plans for a new driver and he quietly replied.. "August..." I had no idea this thread was running until just now. I will say that the Rep. I was talking too definitely would be the guy in the know. Since I have dealt with him on some warranty issues in the past, I did not feel like prying to get more info out of him..

I agree. I wish the PGA stats guys would include a driver brand column on their stats page to show the masses who's really doing what with what. I wonder how many Epics and M1/2s they'd sell if they showed fairways hit by their paid players compared to other brands. I have no idea who would come out on top, but I bet there's a reason they only include numbers of players to make their #1 claim.

I have hit the Ping G LS for half a season and I would not be surprised if I hit the M1/M2/Epic/Epic SubZero 10 yards farther but that G seems to be the most accurate driver I have hit. And since we all hit it 275, isn't accuracy still something we want to achieve.

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

And since we all hit it 275, isn't accuracy still something we want to achieve.

Well, obviously...

Read the "The Best Driver of 2017" thread and it's all about picking up club speed, ball speed and distance.

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

And since we all hit it 275, isn't accuracy still something we want to achieve.

Well, obviously...

Read the "The Best Driver of 2017" thread and it's all about picking up club speed, ball speed and distance.

Yep. 2mph more ball speed and 15 more yards offline for 6 more yards of total distance in the rough. Sounds like that's better than the fairway....

I just hope they go back to offering a 12* head with neutral weighting. I need launch without heel weighting.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Saw a picture from the USGA site of a new submission that had a different looking weight at the back. Friend said it looked like interchangeable weights. But they are interchangeable today, you just have to get different weights from ping. Adjustable certainly not evident from the picture.

Did there appear to be any type of carbon fiber on this new pic??

• 2 weeks later...

When do we think the new Ping Driver will be released? I am considering the current Ping G LS, but may wait for the new one.

From what I know...

You will see the new driver in play at the Players in May. You should be able to learn at that point if you want to wait for the new club. It will not be released until August with pre-orders beginning in July around the Open Championship.

I just hope they go back to offering a 12* head with neutral weighting. I need launch without heel weighting.

This will be key.. during my first ever driver fitting this week, I was typically low launch with my G30 LS, as well as the G & G LS drivers, I finally moved away from a Ping driver as the 2017 M2 10.5 worked best. I even tried the 2017 M2 12 and that launched too high. I tried the G SF Tec in 12 and the launch was good, but my miss is left so that was a no go. I hope Ping brings out something neutral and high lofted.

Just scrolled through 7 pages with disappointment. I didn't clear shots of the club or a release date.

Am I an idiot? If so, can you put me out of my misery and tell me what page to page visit?

Epic Max LS - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10

Epic Max 7W  - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10
4- P  T100S LA Golf A Series - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall
Raw Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 58M S400 - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall

Vokey 64 Jimmy Walker S400 - BB and F Ferrule

Cameron Futura X11.5 - BGT Shaft - Super Stroke Flatso 1.0

a question to those out there, whom have a normal swingspeed, the G driver and the 3 or 5 fairway wood.

i wanted to go a little lighter on those two items. but when checking the ping site, the lighter shaft for the driver is the alta 55. on the fairway wood it's the tour 65, which came by a surprise.

so with a swingspeed (driver) at around 95, what combo are you playing?

I've been playing the G30 LS Tec with a Tour AD 6s shaft for the last couple of years and love it. It's very forgiving and delivers plenty of distance.

I'll try the new ones when they are available but it will be tough to get my G30 out of the bag right now.

I'm also gaming a G20 3 wood for the last 3 years and love that as well.

2015 Taylormade PSI 4-PW
2009 Titleist Vokey BV Spin Milled 52
2009 Titleist Vokey BV Spin Milled 56
2018 Taylormade Milled Grind 60
2005 King Cobra Baffler Hybrid 20
2017 Callaway GBB Epic 3W 13.5 +1
2014 Ping G-30 10.5
2018 Titleist Stay Dry Bag

a question to those out there, whom have a normal swingspeed, the G driver and the 3 or 5 fairway wood.

i wanted to go a little lighter on those two items. but when checking the ping site, the lighter shaft for the driver is the alta 55. on the fairway wood it's the tour 65, which came by a surprise.

Driver clubhead speed roughly 89-90mph, something like that. Maybe a bit more if I'm really in a groove. Driving distance is typically 205-210 yards unless the fairways are really firm.

My G driver, 3-wood and 5-wood all have the Alta R flex shafts. Personally I'd not want shafts much lighter than that as I find ultralight shafts hard to keep on plane and my tempo gets to get quicker the lighter the club.

I'm around 95, and I have the Tour 65 R in my G30LS. It's my favorite driver shaft ever. But keep in mind that I'm not one to buy $300 aftermarket shafts.

I'm around 90-92. Typical drive 220. 230-240 if I catch one on a dry day with roll.

When I gamed the G30 Sf Tec 45" I played the Tour 65R. My G last year I played it at 44.5" with Tour 80 R. The Alta doesn't work well in the driver for me.

In my sf Tec 3w the Alta R was better than the Tour 65 or Tour 80 R for me.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Waiting patiently for Ping's latest driver. I'm all Ping, except for a Callaway V series driver and a Scotty Cameron putter. Hope they drop the turbulators; just a nice classic look would be enough. I don't use the adjustments on the Callaway's driver; just leave it as stated. So not sure more adjustments are necessary. :golfer: :golfer:

I don't mind the turbulators at all. I don't even notice them. What I DO want is a better sounding and adjustable driver.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

a question to those out there, whom have a normal swingspeed, the G driver and the 3 or 5 fairway wood. i wanted to go a little lighter on those two items. but when checking the ping site, the lighter shaft for the driver is the alta 55. on the fairway wood it's the tour 65, which came by a surprise. so with a swingspeed (driver) at around 95, what combo are you playing?
I'm around 95, and I have the Tour 65 R in my G30LS. It's my favorite driver shaft ever. But keep in mind that I'm not one to buy $300 aftermarket shafts.

from what ss do you think it's worth to go from normal g to the ls version? my aoa is already slightly positive and i don't think it will change much.

my main goal to hit as many fairways as possible