New Ping driver - 2017

mixxedbag

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

August time frame for launch, no naming convention mentioned - direct quote from my Rep.

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

Hit the Epic tonight. Had hit Titleist before. Nothing else this time, only the Epic 9 degree set to 10. Had a 6.0 PX shaft in it (65g) and I liked the club but did not love it. Granted, very rusty winter swing, or over-swinging as the case may be. It does have nice ballspeed. It is powerful. Is it more powerful than others? Can't say off my results. It does not have great feel. Some people find the Pings are too loud. I have not yet hit the Ping G. I find the Epic to be a little dull in sound. Anyway, I was getting it out there 270 at 102 mph even with middling smash factor in the 1.45 range. Was not really nailing it tonight. I tend to suck on the indoor monitors. They also push Callaway at this store so I held off. I keep seeing new Ping G LS with tour 65 shaft for $275 new, and it does not seem worth it to drop $225 more for the Epic. And if I did, I am not convinced yet that the Epic is better than the new M1. I have only hit 2 balls with the M1 with a too-stout Fujikura that I just pushed right. And it was not adjusted for me. I want to hit that one with the KuroKage dual core shaft and the weights set for me. Driver is my weakness. Used to be a reliable strength. Buf I get too fast on tempo, off balance, can spray it. I don't think a $500 driver solves it and so I keep eyeing these Pings, the G30 LS (even cheaper now) and the G LS, because they are so much less. And I did swing one for about 10 balls about 18 months ago, so must have been the G30 LS, and I found it pretty easy to aim and I hit it well. But I did not buy it. I took a look at the G on my way out of that shop tonight and I did like the way it sets up to my eye more than the Epic. (The salesman knocked the G LS as 'horrible sounding.) I am determined to fix my tee game. But I was hitting the Epic left and right -- pulls and push fades -- so it was kind of a reminder that maybe I don't need a new club to hit sideways just yet. Or maybe I try a Ping for half the money and work with that club. It's a hard game. Right now I am hitting a '15 Nike Flex 440. A bit more forgiveness and help for my high spin game is what I seek. And any good drills on how to achieve nice balance and rhythm in a driver swing.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I was fitted for a G with alta shaft. Played it for six months and high spin for me. Now using LS Tec with tour shaft to reduce spin and peak height. Maybe bad luck or an expensive lesson. Anyway, given the weight placement is a minimal move between G and LS versions (assuming other internals are the same) a reversible weight would have saved me a new driver. I could live with the cost of a new shaft, but the whole thing is a bit much. I would have like to change the spin characteristics a bit cheaper. I like the G range, but found myself envying the adjustability of other brands.

Funny thing is, I'm sure I saw somewhere that Ping has filed a patent for this kind of weight adjustment. I don't think I imagined it. Maybe we will see something this year. Either way it's a bit late for me, But at least I am now content with my current driver set up.

You are not imagining it. I saw this too.

PING G25

PING G25 4W

TaylorMade Burner 3H

PING i200 4 - U

Cleveland RTX 2.0 54°, 58°

Mizuno MCraft II

They need to take the 2014 rapture 3 wood and make it a driver. That thing is a monster and it sounds and feels awesome.

How much shorter than the G driver if they had 45" shafts? Could the Rapture be longer?

Someone remind me the difference in technology between the G and the Rapture faces?

What's interesting is that Ping actually makes money (wink, wink TaylorMade) and had for a while, the best-selling driver on the market with the G30. From Ping's perspective, their technology and business model works just fine even in the modst of a challenging golf market. Of all the big golf companies, Ping is the best business. Titleist barely broke even last year even they own 50% of the golf ball market.

Yes the M1/M2 and the Epic are longer, but is that all a driver is? Our current driver testing needs to improve. We need a strokes gained driver statistic because I'd think that while the M2 is longer, the G is straighter. Find the average fairway width and subtract yards off the tee from the total (or maybe a factor of 2-3) if the driver misses the fairway. That should be how you test clubs.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Maybe a new rapture?

That would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw a picture for a new Rapture driver, but when I went back the next day to look at it, it had disappeared.

Haha. I'm guessing you're joking, but if not, where did you see this picture?

Joking...rapture...suddenly disappearing...

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

+1 the G30 and G sound like a car backing over a metal trash can

Whatever new driver they come out with.. they need to do something about the sound!!

I loved how G30 and G performed and how forgiving they were but the sound were just too awful.

Hot melting to deaden the sound is not viable option for most as their heads are already pretty heavy to begin with.

9.0* Callaway Epic Flash w/ HZRDS Yellow
16.5* Callaway Rogue FW w/ Rogue Silver 70
21* Callaway Big Bertha Hyb
4-PW Callaway Apex 19 Irons w/ TT Elevate Tour
52* Callaway MD4 S Grind
56* Callaway MD4 S Grind
60* Callaway PM Grind
Odyssey OWorks Black 7S

Z Cord grips

+1 the G30 and G sound like a car backing over a metal trash can

Whatever new driver they come out with.. they need to do something about the sound!!

I loved how G30 and G performed and how forgiving they were but the sound were just too awful.

Hot melting to deaden the sound is not viable option for most as their heads are already pretty heavy to begin with.

They sound loud, but with a little hot melt they are money.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

I must be one of the three people in the world who love the sound of the G drivers.........and oddly enough I have a GBB in the bag, only club in the bag that isn't a Ping.......but that may be rectified this season.........but the GBB has been a good driver for me.

I heard Ping prefers the louder sound. Makes you think the ball is going farther.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I must be one of the three people in the world who love the sound of the G drivers.........and oddly enough I have a GBB in the bag, only club in the bag that isn't a Ping.......but that may be rectified this season.........but the GBB has been a good driver for me.

I like the way it sounds too, so that means we have tracked down two of the three who like it.

I like the way it sounds too, so that means we have tracked down two of the three who like it.

*raises hand* -- and here's your third.

I was just about to say, I can't be the only person in the world who actually likes the way they sound. Then I was going to say, "oh, wait, I probably could be the only one who does." LOL -- seriously, it's not THAT awful I feel. Also depends on what shaft you have in it too sometimes I think. The bimatrix makes it sound a little different, maybe. Dunno.

Unless I REALLY bottom (aka top) a drive, the sound isn't awful. But if I am going to top a drive, everyone around me needs to know about it so I can be sufficiently embarrassed. :D

Maybe the PING drivers sound different in Colorado. ;)

I like the sound too. But I also prefer the feel and sound of cast over forged.

Titleist TSi3 8° - HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60TX

Titleist TS3 15° - HZRDUS Black (Hand Crafted) 70TX

Titleist 818 H2 19° - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Ping i200 - SteelFiber i125x

Edison - SteelFiber i125s

LAB DF 2.1 Armlock - LAGP

Snell MTB-X

*raises hand* -- and here's your third.

I was just about to say, I can't be the only person in the world who actually likes the way they sound. Then I was going to say, "oh, wait, I probably could be the only one who does." LOL -- seriously, it's not THAT awful I feel. Also depends on what shaft you have in it too sometimes I think. The bimatrix makes it sound a little different, maybe. Dunno.

Unless I REALLY bottom (aka top) a drive, the sound isn't awful. But if I am going to top a drive, everyone around me needs to know about it so I can be sufficiently embarrassed. :D

Maybe the PING drivers sound different in Colorado. ;)

the PING drivers sound different everywhere. but you just get used to it. and then everything else sounds different.

had to go thru this with G30-LST and now G-LST to get to this point for myself.

previously played Anser and G10 prior. I want to remember them both sounding better, but maybe today they both too would sound 'different'.

Wonder if this is the year we see heavy use of composites and going after Callaway and Tmag for distance or stick with super forgiving high moi designs of the g30 and g. Ping got absolutely left in the dust distance and spin reduction wise with the 16/17 m's and epics but man are those drivers FORGIVING.

Why wouldn't they stick with the same type of line up as right now with G?

One super forgiving model with a more draw/help bias

One standard offering

One Low Spin offering (compete with M1, SZ)

I don't think they will go the flashy carbon look. Titleist and Ping are known as being more traditional and less flashy than TMag and Cally. I don't think they'd gain any more sales if they tried to go flashy, because the guys they gain who play TM and Cally, they'll lose the same amount from the older fellas who don't like any flash.

I like Ping putters and fairway/hybrids, but never really been a fan of their drivers or irons. Sound has always been a little wonky... I Think they need to work on that like Cobra has been.

PING had done composite in the past and it was as good as anyone else's. Absolutely no reason they can't do it moving forward. That composite Rapture was a great driver.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I heard Ping prefers the louder sound. Makes you think the ball is going farther.

I think that the G driver sound loud inside - but I don't have a problem with mine outside.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I'm so tempted to go back to a Ping driver. Had the G30 LST, went to the Vapor Fly Pro and immediately had to jack loft from 10.5 to 12.5 because I was delighting it lower. I do hit it further, 8-12 yards depending. But the forgiveness of the G series isnpullig me back. Maybe in the fall, see what the new line looks like.

Quick question for those who have played the Ping Tour shafts. How much stiffer is x-stiff vs stiff in the 65g and 80g shafts? Previous fits for me include Aldila Rogue Silver 68g in x-stiff a 75g Hzrdus Red 6.0 and a heavier Tour Sensation propietary shaft in stiff (83g) in a Henry-Griffitts driver. Want to grab a used G30 LS or a G LS 9.0 degree driver in a Tour shaft and don'f have a feel for how stiff these are vs a Project X, for example. I had a Tour stiff in a Ping hybrid I no longer have, but last driver fitter I went to suggested x-stiff, at least in the 60-gram range. But some say the Ping Tour is fairly stout, so assuming others have tried these out. Thanks.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Quick question for those who have played the Ping Tour shafts. How much stiffer is x-stiff vs stiff in the 65g and 80g shafts? Previous fits for me include Aldila Rogue Silver 68g in x-stiff a 75g Hzrdus Red 6.0 and a heavier Tour Sensation propietary shaft in stiff (83g) in a Henry-Griffitts driver. Want to grab a used G30 LS or a G LS 9.0 degree driver in a Tour shaft and don'f have a feel for how stiff these are vs a Project X, for example. I had a Tour stiff in a Ping hybrid I no longer have, but last driver fitter I went to suggested x-stiff, at least in the 60-gram range. But some say the Ping Tour is fairly stout, so assuming others have tried these out. Thanks.

dmeeksDC, for you the PING Tour 65 might be similar to the Aldila Rogue Silver. unlike the Tour 65 all PING Tour 80 are tipped 1". IMO because of that the Tour 80 might play a little more like an Aldila Rogue Black.

dmeeksDC, for you the PING Tour 65 might be similar to the Aldila Rogue Silver. unlike the Tour 65 all PING Tour 80 are tipped 1". IMO because of that the Tour 80 might play a little more like an Aldila Rogue Black.

I would say the tour 65 x is a little less stout than my rouge silver. I think you could handle the 65 tour x no problem. Also, the tour 80 and rouge black don't produce similar ball flights for me at all. Rouge black is softer in the tip than silver and creates higher launch/spin. It's a nice fw metal shaft for me.

Ping G400 MAX 9* Rouge Silver 125MSI 60-TX
Ping G400 Stretch 13.5* Rouge Black 110MSI 80-TX
Ping Crossover 18* Tour 90-X
Ping i200 4-P KBS Tour 130-X
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*,54* SS 58* TS KBS Tour-X
Ping Sigma G Tyne H
Ping Hoofer
Titleist ProV1X

Everything I have been able to gather shows the Ping Tour 65 to have a profile almost identical to the Mamiya Elements Chrome.

Everything I have been able to gather shows the Ping Tour 65 to have a profile almost identical to the Mamiya Elements Chrome.

I will echo this The two shafts side by side same head same loft.. and numbers were nearly identical The Elements chrome lowered the spin slightly more and launched just about a half degree higher.

Why not just call it the Elements Chrome? Why does Ping insist on using the house name?

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna