New Ping driver - 2017

mixxedbag

I was fitted for a G with alta shaft. Played it for six months and high spin for me. Now using LS Tec with tour shaft to reduce spin and peak height. Maybe bad luck or an expensive lesson. Anyway, given the weight placement is a minimal move between G and LS versions (assuming other internals are the same) a reversible weight would have saved me a new driver. I could live with the cost of a new shaft, but the whole thing is a bit much. I would have like to change the spin characteristics a bit cheaper. I like the G range, but found myself envying the adjustability of other brands.

Funny thing is, I'm sure I saw somewhere that Ping has filed a patent for this kind of weight adjustment. I don't think I imagined it. Maybe we will see something this year. Either way it's a bit late for me, But at least I am now content with my current driver set up.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if this is the year we see heavy use of composites and going after Callaway and Tmag for distance or stick with super forgiving high moi designs of the g30 and g. Ping got absolutely left in the dust distance and spin reduction wise with the 16/17 m's and epics but man are those drivers FORGIVING.

Just tested the 2017 M1 & M2 as well as the Callaway Epic variants and found no significant improvement over my ping G. In fact all the other drivers were not as straight as the ping with less than 5m distance gain.

Here we go again - the title indicates the thread is about a new driver from a great company and it will likely turn into an internet jack uff about hitting extra extra stiff such so many yards. Ban fake news!

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

Wonder if this is the year we see heavy use of composites and going after Callaway and Tmag for distance or stick with super forgiving high moi designs of the g30 and g. Ping got absolutely left in the dust distance and spin reduction wise with the 16/17 m's and epics but man are those drivers FORGIVING.

Why wouldn't they stick with the same type of line up as right now with G?

One super forgiving model with a more draw/help bias

One standard offering

One Low Spin offering (compete with M1, SZ)

I don't think they will go the flashy carbon look. Titleist and Ping are known as being more traditional and less flashy than TMag and Cally. I don't think they'd gain any more sales if they tried to go flashy, because the guys they gain who play TM and Cally, they'll lose the same amount from the older fellas who don't like any flash.

I like Ping putters and fairway/hybrids, but never really been a fan of their drivers or irons. Sound has always been a little wonky... I Think they need to work on that like Cobra has been.

Good to know that I'm not the only person that uses the word wonky :cheesy:

Ms and Epic leave G series in dust. Not in my experience went to both Callaway and TaylorMade fittings on different days . Neither could match my G LS Tech I brought with me to find something with more distance. Sorry regardless of shafts or settings (including same shaft in Ping) none were within 5 yards carry of the old G (let alone total distance). The Epics matched the dispersion of the G but not either M. I'm not a fan of the Ping sound but the Epics sounded absolutely dead like the old fully foamed Pittsburgh Persimmon days (TaylorMade). The Ms both sounded good. But both of the latest and greatest didn't match what I had. The TaylorMade guy wanted to keep going but I was exhausted. The Callaway guy gave up trying to match let alone exceed what I brought..

If you really like a club - in your case the Ping G - I think there is a tendency to subconsciously hit it better than comparison clubs at a fitting. I'm sure I do this with my 5 yr old TM RBZ.

Even Ping don't claim to be as long as their competitors so i'm sure like for like an M or an Epic would be significantly longer.

Ping drivers are inherently no shorter or longer than drivers such as the M. For some they will be longer, others shorter, others similar.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Ms and Epic leave G series in dust. Not in my experience went to both Callaway and TaylorMade fittings on different days . Neither could match my G LS Tech I brought with me to find something with more distance. Sorry regardless of shafts or settings (including same shaft in Ping) none were within 5 yards carry of the old G (let alone total distance). The Epics matched the dispersion of the G but not either M. I'm not a fan of the Ping sound but the Epics sounded absolutely dead like the old fully foamed Pittsburgh Persimmon days (TaylorMade). The Ms both sounded good. But both of the latest and greatest didn't match what I had. The TaylorMade guy wanted to keep going but I was exhausted. The Callaway guy gave up trying to match let alone exceed what I brought..

If you really like a club - in your case the Ping G - I think there is a tendency to subconsciously hit it better than comparison clubs at a fitting. I'm sure I do this with my 5 yr old TM RBZ.

Even Ping don't claim to be as long as their competitors so i'm sure like for like an M or an Epic would be significantly longer.

Ping drivers are inherently no shorter or longer than drivers such as the M. For some they will be longer, others shorter, others similar.

That is correct, the rest is just marketing.

My distance number with the Ping G is the same as the Epic and the TM drivers.

I will argue the Ping G is the straightest all day long over the competition.

The distance leader on the LPGA last year used a Ping G. Bubba does pretty well to......

Ping G430 10.5, Ventus Red 60
TM 16.5 HL Wood,  Fuji Red TR 70
TM 7 wood,  Fuji Red TR 70

Ping G430  Hybrid # 22
PXG Gen 6 XP irons 5-GW with MMT 95 shafts

TM M4 54 & 58 Wedges

Odyssey Versa M5  Putter

That is correct, the rest is just marketing.

My distance number with the Ping G is the same as the Epic and the TM drivers.

I will argue the Ping G is the straightest all day long over the competition.

The distance leader on the LPGA last year used a Ping G. Bubba does pretty well to......

I personally hate this insinuation of the head having an effect on distance with the top companies (obviously TopFlight brand will be behind).

As a fitter, all I'm going to pick a head for you really is based on these few things:

~Is the head the right weight for you? Even then it's adjustable some.

~Is the head adjustable to set just right for you? Even then, get a lesson ( :cheesy: )

~How does it look?

~How does it feel?

Outside of those few things, with the right shaft fit to the head that you like, I can get them to perform close to the same. To me the shaft matters much much more than the head.

I agree they should stick with the 3 variants of the driver (low spin, reg, and draw bias)

@Z1ggy16, I wouldn't necessarily say Ping's drivers are traditional looking, Titleist yes. Ping does stay traditional to themselves though. I agree on your other points though!

Ping makes great stuff, and I'm sure their next Driver offering will be great. For me, like others have mentioned as well, the sound could use some tweeking.

Up until the G line with "turbulators" Ping was very vanilla compared to Taylormade, Cobra and Callaway. The only color you really ever even saw were hints of blue or red. I think they almost have to stick with this, just like Titleist is generally just flat black/grey heads, sometimes a touch of sparkle in the paint.

They could get away with a hint of the carbon look, but it would have to be pretty small and probably not on the crown. The use of carbon really "deadens" the sound of these new metal woods, so it's almost a necessity these days to avoid that high pitched TING!! off the face.

As always, will be tough to compete and market with the likes of Tmag and Cally.

Vanilla ???

GOLF-DRIVER-PING-TISI-TEC-115-Degree-ET-_1.jpg

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

What is the Ping G LE? It's on the conforming list, but just 11.5 degree and no picture.

G LE is the new ladies line. So it's a ladies driver

PING G410 LST 9* (Weight neutral) - HZRDUS Black 6.5 
PING G410 14.5* LST - Tensei Pro Orange TX 70
PING Blueprint 3-Pw - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING Glide Forged (Ping Man stamps) - 50º/54º/58º - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING PLD Anser "Honey Badger"
Bridgestone Tour B XS

I wish Ping would dial back the head shape and/or size with this upcoming release. A head updated with new tech and the same size and shape as the Rapture V2 would be amazing.

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

Just tested the 2017 M1 & M2 as well as the Callaway Epic variants and found no significant improvement over my ping G. In fact all the other drivers were not as straight as the ping with less than 5m distance gain.

5 metres?

What's thinner and stronger than a dragonfly's wings?

"PING's 2017 G driver, co-engineered with Trojan..."

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Never hit a Ping driver that I couldn't push slice 3 fairways over. TM, Callaway, Cobra, Titleist...no issues. Ping, foul balls down the right field line all day long. Even the SF. Don't know why. Maybe it's mental at this point. Love their irons and wedges, though.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

What's thinner and stronger than a dragonfly's wings?

"PING's 2017 G driver, co-engineered with Trojan..."

The new PING driver with Sheepskin technology. "Go Deep"

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

Never hit a Ping driver that I couldn't push slice 3 fairways over. TM, Callaway, Cobra, Titleist...no issues. Ping, foul balls down the right field line all day long. Even the SF. Don't know why. Maybe it's mental at this point. Love their irons and wedges, though.

Funny, I thought I was the only one. Had the SF Tec ad LS Tec and was just never sure if I would hit it down my intended line. Really strange.

My 915D2 and my old Cobra Amp Cell just seem to want to go where I'm aiming.

Love PING though :-)

I'm a high swing speed player 125+ playing speed (I know a short knocker for WRX) and carried the epic and m's about 10 yards further. Could be the ping x flex tour shafts just weren't creating optimal launch and spin for me but definitely felt the Callaway and TMag was coming a bit hotter off the face in playing conditions.

Probably the difference between players and age. I certainly don't see swing speeds in that range anymore. At age 78 I'm happy with my 96 mph swing speed, so I long ago left X shafts behind. The G driver and shaft produce a better launch and spin rate for me compared to the M and Epic drivers. I would have imagined a shaft and M or Epic head combination would have produced a club that matched the G, but no combination did so, and the OEM fitters gave it their best effort trying to sell a club..

I'm a high swing speed player 125+ playing speed (I know a short knocker for WRX) and carried the epic and m's about 10 yards further. Could be the ping x flex tour shafts just weren't creating optimal launch and spin for me but definitely felt the Callaway and TMag was coming a bit hotter off the face in playing conditions.

Probably the difference between players and age. I certainly don't see swing speeds in that range anymore. At age 78 I'm happy with my 96 mph swing speed, so I long ago left X shafts behind. The G driver and shaft produce a better launch and spin rate for me compared to the M and Epic drivers. I would have imagined a shaft and M or Epic head combination would have produced a club that matched the G, but no combination did so, and the OEM fitters gave it their best effort trying to sell a club..

I am closer to 50 than I am 40 and I was told about a week ago 102-108 on the simulator that I am swinging like a 30 year old. I think that at 125+ I would break something internally..LOL This man is very strong and very flexible it would be fun to watch him drive the ball.

Funny, I thought I was the only one. Had the SF Tec ad LS Tec and was just never sure if I would hit it down my intended line. Really strange.

My 915D2 and my old Cobra Amp Cell just seem to want to go where I'm aiming.

Love PING though :-)

My guess would be that stock Ping shafts are too light for you guys, which can lead to inconsistency.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse