Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

wondering if anyone could help me understand this better. I was fitted and demoing clubs with swing weight D2. I wound up ordering a custom set from TM and they do not build for swing weight, and they came in C7/C8 of the p790s

What would be the differences in ball flight, and what if anything would be affected?

I had the exact same issue. Called TM. They paid for shipping both ways and had them fixed and back to me in ten days.

Here is the wear on the pw and 8i, estimate on rounds is 20 an decent amount of range time

I’d bet any set that is chrome plated you own would wear like that. Sandy range + lots of practice = wear like a sandblaster. I feel your pain, my range is all sandy soil. I almost never use it anymore for this reason.

Some flavor of the month driver.
Some driving iron for Links courses.

A hybrid to save my bad shots.
Titleist blades when I feel lucky otherwise something more forgiving.
A Vokey wedge or 2.
I hate every one of my 17 putters.

TaylorMade will fix the problem you can be sure of that as they have a winner with the P790s and they won't let this ruin their sales. I would stay away from using range balls and that range if I were you

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

wondering if anyone could help me understand this better. I was fitted and demoing clubs with swing weight D2. I wound up ordering a custom set from TM and they do not build for swing weight, and they came in C7/C8 of the p790s

What would be the differences in ball flight, and what if anything would be affected?

I had the exact same issue. Called TM. They paid for shipping both ways and had them fixed and back to me in ten days.

interesting...i did call them, and mentioned the differences in swing weight. the person told me that the swing weights would be uniform, and that was about all they would promise.

gave me a line about when ordering a custom set from them that each set of checked 3 times for quality control. maybe i will try again

Here is the wear on the pw and 8i, estimate on rounds is 20 an decent amount of range time

That is shocking to me. I have had my P790s since last fall. I have hit lots of balls, but they were indoors. I probably have 20 rounds on them and they look virtually new.

I absolutely love these irons. They are the best I have tried for my needs, which is a player’s distance iron. I am 57 and these irons gave me back the distance I have lost from my earlier years. They are extremely consistent distance-wise. They are as forgiving as anything I have hit other than a true game improvement iron. My last round was one over for 18. At my age and skill level, I just cannot play any better.

I was playing some pretty good golf with my CF16 Apex irons so making a switch had me a little concerned about how long would it take me to get used to the P790s. One range time and 2 rounds and Im very happy making this purchase. Im finding that they are close to a club longer then my CF16 and the feel is soft and slightly muted sound but Wow! the ball explodes off the face. Im finding these to be very consistent distant wise. I hit a few shots deliberately under clubbing from what I was used to hitting with my Apex irons and end up making birdies on 3 par 3's. 2 were over water.

Im getting a good ball flight and its unbelievable how easy the long irons are to hit. Twice I came to some short par 4s lined with trees and pulled out my 4 iron and 220 yds right in the middle of the fairway. It was a shot directly into the sun so all I could tell was it had to be a sweet shot as it felt real good. I lost it into the sun but if was as if a blind man could of found my ball, right smack down the middle of the FW. Im 62 and back to playing as if I were in y 30's again. These are everything I have been looking for in a set of irons.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Played with my P790s today, 1st round, shot 73 and I came from the F8 One Lengths. While I truly loved my F8 OLs, I just could not make the longer irons work especially the Par 3s and today, I was only 1 over on these Par 3s.

Another Ah-Ha moment was that I realized, that I needed slightly softer shafts as I am not as strong as I use to be. So I got my P790s with the Modus 3 105 regular and I was hitting baby draws all day. I also noted that the P790 irons have more roll than the F8 equivalent longer irons. This is curious as OL also rely a bit on the roll to get its distance. My shorter P790 8 iron > than my 7 iron length 8 iron, far out :)

So suffice to say, my F8s will be BSTed or Ebayed. Going back to the regular, variable length irons - no thanks to the P790s, very impressive club, clean looking and freaking long.

Thanks :smilie_tm: , you've more than made up for the RSi2 debacle (sweet club but face cave issues) as these P790s are nothing but SWEETNESS :drinks:

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Really wish I’d have got these instead of my 718 AP2’s

For whatever reason I’m just not hitting my AP2’s like I know I can, maybe it’s the shaft -PXLZ (first non DYnamic Gold set ever), maybe it’s me not playing as much as I have but I’m just not enjoying playing with them!!

The one bright spot in my iron game is my P790 3 iron with a PXLZ built to 2 iron length, it’s a monster and making me wish I had the full set

Don’t normally need to persuade the wife about golf purchases but I told her that the AP2 were the last set of irons I’d buy!!!! LOL!!!!

May need to pick up a set before they get end of life’s this year!

Any more on the black p790?

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Saw a FB post saying “coming soon” and JD Clubs was linked. The clubs looked like super shiny black chrome.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Any more on the black p790?

In the UK these are due to launch on 8/3 and other info available is

LAUNCH DATE 3RD AUGUST 2018

NO CUSTOM FIT AVAILABLE

VERY LIMITED EDITION - ONLY 500 IN EUROPE

Distance Has A Dark Side

MAKE A STATEMENT WITH AN AGGRESSIVE NEW LOOK

• Premium high-gloss black PVD finish throughout the entire set
  • New all-black True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 shafts to create a sleek, unified look that inspires and intimidates

BREAKTHROUGH DISTANCE IN A PLAYERS IRON

• Think 1.75mm face thickness with mini-ICT
  • High srength forged 4140 carbon steel wrap-face & soft carbon steel body
  • The max-COR face and stronger lofts produce a high, powerful trajectory

LOOK AND FEEL OF A TRUE PLAYERS IRON

• SpeedFoam cavity filler dampens sound with minimal COR impact
  • Refined shaping featuring a straighter topline, shallower face and progressive offset

FORGIVENESS & PLAYABILITY

• Strategically placed tungsten weighting to increase inertia throughout the set
  • Thin internal leading edge with cut-thru Speed Pocket for low-face forgiveness
  • Hollow contruction allows for optimal weight placement

Street price is about $400 over the standard silver set

I love the shiny smoked chrome look. Wish this type of finish was more readily available across all brands.

People will love the look but will hate the glare.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

... Guess I am just old school but like my irons to look like steel. Shiny or satin silver chrome for me. Very happy with the satin finish on the P790's. Getting very picky, if I could change anything I would get rid of the shiny strip on the back for a leaner look, but since I don't see it at address it really doesn't matter.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

I refuse a PVD finish. DBM or death for me.

Every PVD iron I have seen looks like Word not allowed after hardly any time at all. Unless this is some new way, I’ll pass. They look great tho.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Saw a FB post saying "coming soon" and JD Clubs was linked. The clubs looked like super shiny black chrome.

No, No, Don't do this as those look amazing and I just bought a set of the P790s. Im not about to pay an extra $200 as you know they will be more so I'll just stick to my awesome irons

I am sure they will look gorgeous but lets see how that finish last... and no, I ain't coughing up $400 more for the look.

That is a LOT of beers to give up :)

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Well I'm going to give these a hit in the next few weeks and see what all the fuss is about. Every time I hit my JPX 900 4 iron I fall more and more in love with the Mizuno's but I've read and heard so many great things about these it's silly not to see what the big deal is.

How do these usually play? More/less upright than Mizuno clubs?

Well I'm going to give these a hit in the next few weeks and see what all the fuss is about. Every time I hit my JPX 900 4 iron I fall more and more in love with the Mizuno's but I've read and heard so many great things about these it's silly not to see what the big deal is.

How do these usually play? More/less upright than Mizuno clubs?

I’m playing the 900 Tours as well. The PW on the Mizunos start at 63* lie, where as the 790 start at 64*.

I have the UDI, it’s rediculously fun to hit but held off on the irons set because of the distance and gapping issues.

Just had my 900 Tours adjusted for lie and loft, starting at 48* in the PW down to a 3 iron at 21*; everything is so consistent and precise that I cannot be happier.

so i think i am finally getting dialed in with these...2 rounds of low 80s in a row which is good for me.

would my gaps and/or distances change drastically if i have TM fix these for D2?

any benefits i should want from doing this, or is ignoring best decision?

i am pretty new to all this technical stuff, so any advice is appreciated- thanks!

so i think i am finally getting dialed in with these...2 rounds of low 80s in a row which is good for me.

would my gaps and/or distances change drastically if i have TM fix these for D2?

any benefits i should want from doing this, or is ignoring best decision?

i am pretty new to all this technical stuff, so any advice is appreciated- thanks!

Swing weight shouldn't affect you gapping or distances! D2 is a designated weight of the head or basically how heavy it feels when you swing it! C7/8 is obviously lighter than D2. This is basically just a feel thing, so you can feel the head during the swing! May affect your tempo or transition but won't directly affect gappin and distance

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

Do you think TMAG will roll with the current P790s plus the special edition black finish in 2019 or update the lineup? I know theres rumor that the P790 UDI could be updated...Do you think TMAG will roll with the current P790s plus the special edition black finish in 2019 or update the lineup? I know theres rumor that the P790 UDI could be updated...

I don’t know about updating the line because it’s still pretty new and pretty successful. I can see maybe doing what they did with the M1/M2 and just making a 2019 version that’s basically the same club with minor tweaks tho.