2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2018 Farmers Insurance Open (Predict Tiger's Finish!) (MERGED)

LeftyLuck

It's January, the tournament means very little, Tiger scrapes by and makes the cut how many shots back and I still can't wait to watch him play tomorrow. Couldn't care less about what the leaders do... He still moves the needle folks

It will be interesting to see how much he moves the needle. I have several friends who are not golf fans, but they are Tiger fans. They always tell me to text them when Tiger is in a tournament. I did that for the Hero and this week, and the response I got both times was pretty much "meh". That's anecdotal obviously and the ratings will undoubtedly be up with him in the field and making the cut, but I wonder if the Tiger effect is losing steam with the casuals and if perhaps he needs to win a regular event or contend in a major to really light the fire again.

I have a lot of guys who follow golf casually in my office - not one peep about Tiger this week.

If he's in legit contention, the ratings will go nuts. If he's putting up top 40 finishes without much going on, I don't see a ton of extra people tuning in to every event he's in - the interest will gradually fade a touch. He will always draw huge crowds at any event though.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick Faldo is painful...

Faldo is horrendous at his job. Seemingly every bad shot that Tiger hits, he goes into some long winded explanation of exactly what happened.

Guess what Nick? People make bad swings during a round. Get over it, and stop acting like just because Tiger blocked one right he needs a complete swing overhaul.

On one hole he was going on and on about how Tiger needs to find a place to hit driver with water on both sides as a method of practicing, etc. etc. The guy just never stops.

I much prefer the European Tour commentary, which is far more laid back. They don't panic every time someone hits a shot fat, or misses a drive. Everything is very matter of fact. I could use a touch more emotion in a final round, but other than that they are so much better than someone like Faldo.

I’ve recently turned the corner with Nick; now instead of being annoyed by him I can’t wait to hear the next crazy thing he says. Lol - he always knows the exact reason Tiger hit a bad shot

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I'll say this and let the flames begin.... I realize it's all about the $$$ and ratings but it's annoying that Ryan Palmer ( that guy leading the tournament ) get's next to zero coverage yet Tiger ( that guy that made the cut on the last hole and is currently in 64th ) has every shot on the coverage. The pathetic coverage even picked one of Tiger's shots as the shot of the day.

Tiger is back so let's forget about watching the leaders .... Same crap every time he plays whether he's shooting 65 or 75.

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

One comment that Tiger made in his post round interview is that he needs to get used to going low, because so many guys can shoot under par now.

I've said this quite a bit, but I think the fields absolutely blitz courses nowadays, and if you don't start with something a few shot under par, it's tough to get in contention for the weekend in a lot of events. That said, there aren't many great closers on Tour, so it's not like if Tiger's a few strokes back someone is going to run away with it on a Sunday. Guys seem to cough up leads all the time. But Thursday/Friday put a lot of pressure on everyone's games nowadays.

I'll say this and let the flames begin.... I realize it's all about the $$$ and ratings but it's annoying that Ryan Palmer ( that guy leading the tournament ) get's next to zero coverage yet Tiger ( that guy that made the cut on the last hole and is currently in 64th ) has every shot on the coverage. The pathetic coverage even picked one of Tiger's shots as the shot of the day.

Tiger is back so let's forget about watching the leaders .... Same crap every time he plays whether he's shooting 65 or 75.

I completely agree.

Was it a good shot though?

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

I don't mind the Tiger coverage, as long as they don't show him picking his nose on every hole, which they tend to do and then go on some long winded rant about his ball speed or how his head dipped, etc. They need to learn to mix both in (showing Tiger and immediately cutting to other groups). I was looking forward to Tiger's comeback, but after the round yesterday it felt like there was another hour of Tiger Tiger Tiger on the post round coverage and I do agree it gets old, especially when he's not in contention. I found myself looking forward much more to the Dubai coverage.

That said, I can understand them doing it on a Thursday/Friday, when people are a bit less interested in the leaders. Saturday/Sunday it gets a bit ridiculous, but they've always done this with Tiger, so nothing new I guess.

Long may it continue! I dont care about any other golfer. Dont worry there will be many Tiger free events on TV. I doubt you even watch them.

I think it was his third driver shot on the range during his preround warmup.

It was him arriving at the course.

It was him arriving at the course.

That was pretty good actually.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

I don't mind the Tiger coverage, as long as they don't show him picking his nose on every hole, which they tend to do and then go on some long winded rant about his ball speed or how his head dipped, etc. They need to learn to mix both in (showing Tiger and immediately cutting to other groups). I was looking forward to Tiger's comeback, but after the round yesterday it felt like there was another hour of Tiger Tiger Tiger on the post round coverage and I do agree it gets old, especially when he's not in contention. I found myself looking forward much more to the Dubai coverage.

That said, I can understand them doing it on a Thursday/Friday, when people are a bit less interested in the leaders. Saturday/Sunday it gets a bit ridiculous, but they've always done this with Tiger, so nothing new I guess.

I don't wish anyone I'll will but if he happens to play mediocre I rather not watch him play every hole while others are shooting 5 & 6 under par and leading the tournament. Nick Faldo is saddled with the task of analyzing Tiger's swing so like him or not if he sits there and plays Tiger Fanboy he's will get roasted as bad as some here dislike his remarks. I wonder what Lanny Wadkins or Johnny Miller would say ? :swoon:

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

One comment that Tiger made in his post round interview is that he needs to get used to going low, because so many guys can shoot under par now.

I've said this quite a bit, but I think the fields absolutely blitz courses nowadays, and if you don't start with something a few shot under par, it's tough to get in contention for the weekend in a lot of events. That said, there aren't many great closers on Tour, so it's not like if Tiger's a few strokes back someone is going to run away with it on a Sunday. Guys seem to cough up leads all the time. But Thursday/Friday put a lot of pressure on everyone's games nowadays.

Agree. Tiger is on like Pluto right now compared to being anywhere near the top guys.

But, at least hes in the solar system ; )

Is every shot Tiger has around the greens today the hardest/fastest shots ever?

"Its a 1 out of 20 to get up and down there" LOL no it isnt. its a good uphil lie easily 7 out of 10 up and down. Creating drama for narrative...

"Shot of the day" says Faldo...

sure, let see how you do when your cut is on the line, not that easy when you actually need a birdie.

good test for him to dig down, he do better the coming days

He birdied the easiest hole of both courses after blocking his drive 25 yards right, lets not get over dramatic here

Plus the subject wasn’t about how he played the actual shots but rather the announcers overhyping their difficulty.

pretty much, yeah. As if i was attacking Tiger or something. I dont get the defensiveness...

Really jazzed to see Jason Day in contention. How sweet a "W" would be. With Jason, Rahmbo and Phil in the mix on Saturday, who cares what Tiger does? :)

I didn’t expect Day to play so well after seeing his back stiffen up yesterday

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Really jazzed to see Jason Day in contention. How sweet a "W" would be. With Jason, Rahmbo and Phil in the mix on Saturday, who cares what Tiger does? :)

This course is built for him he can hit driver everywhere. This was the tourney win that set him off and running in 2015 after all. Im sure hes got good vibes going now

I didn't expect Day to play so well after seeing his back stiffen up yesterday

Thankfully or maybe he was just a little tight, all jokes aside on his frailty, nobody wants to see him get hurt again.He was swinging a little smoother today. his transition wasnt as violent. His swing has shortened quite a bit, thats tough on the back if the timing is off

This is why I don't watch any event that he's in. It's a waste of time. Would rather watch the European tour

Looks like TWs back on the weekend, boys.

bscinstnct - I'm hoping you get to use some of these this weekend:

a01_tiger_3_10_53770491.jpg?w=1000&h=1281

Ha! Truth be told, Im not a fan of that one ; )

However, be nice to post the 2005 jammy on a Sunday.

How so? this one is all passion ! i thought youd love it. Especially with that tape to keep his finger from busting open with a massive blister showing.i think this one belongs in the favorite tour photo thread! very nice indeed

It's January, the tournament means very little, Tiger scrapes by and makes the cut how many shots back and I still can't wait to watch him play tomorrow. Couldn't care less about what the leaders do... He still moves the needle folks

At a public driving range today I must have heard people 5 different times asking how Tigers doing. He better put that M2 back in the bag for the weekend and just use his time off to adjust to the M3.

How can we be certain that it's the club and not Tiger?

2016 M2 is one of the most fade biased drivers in recent memory. That pull cut he was trying to hit that were pulls and pull hooks might straighten out. Just a bandaid til he can get the swing grooved like the hero and more reps with the M3.

Pretty much, I cant draw that club to save my life!! but it is great

I believe he meant he couldnt believe how many low scores were being shot this week because it is torrey after all. its baked so alot of wedges and short irons in but still the greens are concrete so he was legit shocked at the scores.

Looking up tomorrow's tee times...I had no idea Adam Hadwin, Marc Leishman, JB Holmes, Gary Woodland, Jimmy Walker, or Keegan Bradley were even playing this tournament. Don't think a single one of them had a single shot shown on TV coverage.

I saw Keegan hole his bunker shot on 9 i believe for birdie to close out his round but none of those other guys.

Man, it was only a few months ago it seemed that Walker and Leishman seemed unstoppable. Were both constantly in the running and coming in Top 10.

Leishman is still doing great but unfortunately jimmy walker has had his life derailed by lime disease.Even with meds hes constanlty fatigued.Cant really practice as much as he used to.Its a shame. Hopefully he recovers

Good for golf channel producers. I liked seeing all Tiger’s shots. Personally I think making the cut was great drama and a pretty big deal for him. He’ll figure out the swing. But his capacity to perform when it matters is still excellent.

So all you guys complaining ... they are doing this for me. Tiger Woods after a decade of misery - physical, mental, emotional, spiritual - made a cut when he could have shot an 80. I thought it was riveting.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W