In hand photos of the Ping i500 irons (MERGED)

bunta

Well, it looks like I have to eat some crow. Went and tested the I500's today with the intent to get some.Had my mind made up. Nothing was gonna change my mind. And then I hit them. I was so disappointed in the feel of them I'm totally bummed. Do they go a long way? Yes! Do they look awesome? Double Yes! One of the best looking irons I've ever seen at address. But, compared to my S56's they feel terrible. They are a good club longer than my irons but the sound and harsh feeling I got from them was bad. And there aren't a whole lot of guys here that love Ping stuff more than me. I then tried the I210's and they felt very nice but they just spin way too much for me. I suppose I could have ordered them with power lofts but I can't justify spending that kind of money unless I see a big difference in performance. I might try them again down the road to see if I get a different result but for now my old Pings are safely in my bag.

Wow, that's too bad. What kind of balls were you hitting? Indoors? I agree that the feel is not great but I wasn't that put off by them and there are too many benefits to let that ruin them for me....but you don't need a club like this like I do, especially since you're in love with what you're already playing. Strangely, I had the same first impression with the iBlade. Then I hit them about a year later and was stunned at how much I liked the feel. This troubles me coming from one of the best feeling clubs around (BS Tour B). Luckily, not all of us have that feedback and it's good that it's as subjective as it is. What shaft were you using, or did you try them all?

I was hitting decent range balls. I test everything I buy off turf outside because the info you get off sims is skewed and you really have no idea how the club is going to react in a real round of golf. I tried the Dynamic Gold 120 in stiff and regular and the KBS Tour in stiff which is what is in my S56's. I'd love to get the extra distance but it was just too high of a price to pay for 10 yards. It pi$$es me off because I had the money in my pocket!! :( I did come home with a new G400 driver though! :)

Which G400/shaft did you buy? That may be next. It's looking like I'm heading for an all Ping bag after years of being a 7-brand man.

The Ping Alta 55 stiff

Order yourself a UST proforce V2. The new highlighter yellow one. It’s fantastic

That’s what’s in mine... love it. After having rogue silver and tour blues

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody who pre-ordered have confirmed shipping/delivery dates?

I went into my fitter here in Cincinnati about 2 weeks ago and ordered a set. I called earlier this week and they confirmed that my clubs will be in the store and available for pickup on launch date 7/31. They actually told me they’d have my clubs by tomorrow but cannot give them to me until 7/31.

Not sure what he cutoff date was on orders to be available on launch date, or if there was one, but if you got in early enough on the order you should be able to pick them up on 7/31.

Should arrive 7/30 and be in hand the 31st. I'm so excited. This is one I really hope I love the whole set. I don't switch stuff alot so it would be devastating to have to go back to s55 at this point.

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

Although I am not overly interested in these (I can be swayed of course!) I am certainly looking forward to you guys getting them and reading the reviews on here once you have had a few rounds under your belts.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Well, it looks like I have to eat some crow. Went and tested the I500's today with the intent to get some.Had my mind made up. Nothing was gonna change my mind. And then I hit them. I was so disappointed in the feel of them I'm totally bummed. Do they go a long way? Yes! Do they look awesome? Double Yes! One of the best looking irons I've ever seen at address. But, compared to my S56's they feel terrible. They are a good club longer than my irons but the sound and harsh feeling I got from them was bad. And there aren't a whole lot of guys here that love Ping stuff more than me. I then tried the I210's and they felt very nice but they just spin way too much for me. I suppose I could have ordered them with power lofts but I can't justify spending that kind of money unless I see a big difference in performance. I might try them again down the road to see if I get a different result but for now my old Pings are safely in my bag.

i knew i wasnt going to be the only one. The sound and feel is very off putting when you mishit by even just a little. Even the solid strikes doesnt sound all that great.

i said in my previous post it sounded like a baseball bat hitting a baseball,. i would like to retract that statement because it doesnt.. not sure why i used a baseball to describe a sound.. Its more of like a metalic sound. Its a very hollow feel and sound esspecially in the longer irons 4/5/6. I know its a hollow iron, what do i expect? well, all i can say is, when we saw the i500, our judgements get a little cloudy because of how handsome it was :) and i was just excited to find my next iron set. i wasnt expecting Ping to disappoint me. Im a Ping fan thru and thru and i just cant get along with the sound/feel with the i500.

Im looking for some serious advice on what i can do deadened the sound and feel a little. I have to fill it with something that wont change the swingweight much. ideas ? if that doesnt work, its going on ebay pronto. I really dont want to because they look soooooo good and im just desperate for new irons. ive had my i25 for FIVE years. Thats an eternity on wrx.

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

I understand where you’re coming from. I was dead set on the i500 based on the looks and specs but after hitting them I can’t get past the sound and feel. I’ve been playing s55 for the last few years and never found anything to kick them out. Tried the 0311T and it checks every box that I’m looking for in performance and feel and looks like my s55. So I’ll be taking a break from Ping for a little while.

I’m now anxious to see what the iblade replacement will be. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were able to refine the tech in the i500 in a package that Is a bit more compact and sounds much better.

I understand where you're coming from. I was dead set on the i500 based on the looks and specs but after hitting them I can't get passed the sound and feel. I've been playing s55 for the last few years and never found anything to kick them out. Tried the 0311T and it checks every box that I'm looking for in performance and feel and looks like my s55. So I'll be taking a break from Ping for a little while.

I'm now anxious to see what the Ibalde replacement will be. I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to refine the tech in the i500 in a package that Is a bit more compact and sounds much better.

I did the same thing back in early 2016! Except it was with a full set of Titleist T-MB irons. The i500 is designed just like the TMB with a cast head of 17-4 stainless steel; hardened steel front face over a hollow, front cavity body. The TMB felt hard/harsh to me in the mid/short irons and was wondering what to get next after selling them.

Tried the PXG 0311T in the 8, 9, PW and WOW!!!! blown away by the difference.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Wow, that's too bad. What kind of balls were you hitting? Indoors? I agree that the feel is not great but I wasn't that put off by them and there are too many benefits to let that ruin them for me....but you don't need a club like this like I do, especially since you're in love with what you're already playing. Strangely, I had the same first impression with the iBlade. Then I hit them about a year later and was stunned at how much I liked the feel. This troubles me coming from one of the best feeling clubs around (BS Tour B). Luckily, not all of us have that feedback and it's good that it's as subjective as it is. What shaft were you using, or did you try them all?

I was hitting decent range balls. I test everything I buy off turf outside because the info you get off sims is skewed and you really have no idea how the club is going to react in a real round of golf. I tried the Dynamic Gold 120 in stiff and regular and the KBS Tour in stiff which is what is in my S56's. I'd love to get the extra distance but it was just too high of a price to pay for 10 yards. It pi$$es me off because I had the money in my pocket!! :( I did come home with a new G400 driver though! :)

Which G400/shaft did you buy? That may be next. It's looking like I'm heading for an all Ping bag after years of being a 7-brand man.

The Ping Alta 55 stiff

Order yourself a UST proforce V2. The new highlighter yellow one. It’s fantastic

That’s what’s in mine... love it. After having rogue silver and tour blues

Have you hit the Taylormade p790 by chance to compare the two. I hit mine with The lz shafts and didn’t think they felt bad but I’ve also hit the g700 for a while so my feeling has changed somewhat about hollow irons

Should arrive 7/30 and be in hand the 31st. I'm so excited. This is one I really hope I love the whole set. I don't switch stuff alot so it would be devastating to have to go back to s55 at this point.

Just got a call from my fitter and the clubs are in and they said I can pick them up today. Can't wait to put these into action on the course tomorrow.

Pardon the repeat of earlier post - but anyone testing i500s for long irons blended with their i200/210s? Perhaps retro i500 lofts could blend ok?

I like i200s and don't want longer short/mid irons.

Marty Jertson blends the irons in his bag. i500s 3 - 5, iBlades 6 - PW. Wonder what lofts he uses.

I really like the idea of 4-6 i500s and 7-UW i210s, matched with some glide wedges. The offset numbers are identical for the i500s and i210s at the 7-iron. You would have a bit of an extra yardage gap between the 6 and 7, but I wouldn't see that as being a huge issue, at least for me. Maybe bend the i210 7 iron a bit stronger to blend a bit better.

Just need to get healthy so I can test them out! My i20s are finally starting to get a bit nervous ...

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

#jealous

Although I really hope no one hurts their account by giving in early. Not that I'd turn them awayif they came early!

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

The Ping Alta 55 stiff

Order yourself a UST proforce V2. The new highlighter yellow one. It's fantastic

That's what's in mine... love it. After having rogue silver and tour blues

Have you hit the Taylormade p790 by chance to compare the two. I hit mine with The lz shafts and didn't think they felt bad but I've also hit the g700 for a while so my feeling has changed somewhat about hollow irons

I did hit the P790's.They had a very nice feel but they weren't as long as the I500's

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I hit the i500 outdoors today (no LM data) with rock hard range balls. I took my G400 7 iron so I could do a direct back-to-back comparison. I tested the i500 with the DG 120 S300. My G40O's have DG 105. Here's my thoughts between the two:

• launch and height was very similar. No real discernible difference between them.

• sound and feel- very similar. I didn't find the i500 to be notably louder or more harsh than G400. Again, this was with hard range balls, premium balls may be a different story.

• forgivenesses- again, no notable difference. I hit a few with each club a little toward the toe side, and neither punished more than the other.

• distance- no hard numbers here being outdoors with no monitor, but looked to be landing within 5 yards of each other. Probably a toss up.

• spin- no idea about this one.

•looks- i500 BY A MILE!!!

Overall, I think I could switch to the i500 and not give up anything, but probably not gain anything either... other than a better looking set of irons in the bag!!

based on looks seems to be massive difference in offset between g400 and i500

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

I couldn't cancel my order as they were boxed and built but if anyone is interested once I get them in hand I'll eat $150 off purchase price on a set of 4-PW i500s.

Specs:

Standard length, standard lofts, lie is 1 degree flat. Shafts are Project X LZ 6.0s hardstepped 1 time. Standard Tour Velvets.

After tax they will come to $1275-$1300.

I'll sell them for $1100 shipped brand new in box.

PM if anyone has any interest should have them in hand in the next day or 2.

Well, I did get my i500s today and, ironically, the 7/31 warning was inside the box as I had guessed, so nobody knew that I wasn't supposed to receive them yet. I won't be posting photos until 7/31 but man am I stoked. Every club looks beautiful. I love the shape and transition of the set and, though they are slightly larger than my Tour B's, they don't look it until held side by side. Alone, they look very compact and I was really surprised when I set them along side each other. I ordered the Power Spec with the DG105 S300 at +1" and the best they could do was D7 on the SW, which is a little disappointing but it is what it is. I often choke up an inch or more which will help with that in play. We'll see how it goes. I'm off to a nearby driving range to check em out...more soon.

Ordered a set of 210s today. As much as I love the look of the 500s, the 210s look pretty damn good too and I don’t need the extra distance. Might add a 3 or 4 iron later.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

I hit the i500 outdoors today (no LM data) with rock hard range balls. I took my G400 7 iron so I could do a direct back-to-back comparison. I tested the i500 with the DG 120 S300. My G40O's have DG 105. Here's my thoughts between the two:

• launch and height was very similar. No real discernible difference between them.

• sound and feel- very similar. I didn't find the i500 to be notably louder or more harsh than G400. Again, this was with hard range balls, premium balls may be a different story.

• forgivenesses- again, no notable difference. I hit a few with each club a little toward the toe side, and neither punished more than the other.

• distance- no hard numbers here being outdoors with no monitor, but looked to be landing within 5 yards of each other. Probably a toss up.

• spin- no idea about this one.

•looks- i500 BY A MILE!!!

Overall, I think I could switch to the i500 and not give up anything, but probably not gain anything either... other than a better looking set of irons in the bag!!

based on looks seems to be massive difference in offset between g400 and i500

Absolutely. The offset is much different. The i500’s win the beauty contest hands-down.

Ping G430 Max 9* HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 🇺🇸 LE

TM SIM Ti 5w Fuji Atmos Blue TS 7x

Ping G410 3h Fuji Atmos Blue TS 8HY

Titleist 816 5h Diamana Blue

Mizuno 919 Forged 6-P, HM Pro 5

Ping Glide Stealth 50 SS, 54 WS, 58 ES

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2022 slant

TM TP5

Well, I did get my i500s today and, ironically, the 7/31 warning was inside the box as I had guessed, so nobody knew that I wasn't supposed to receive them yet. I won't be posting photos until 7/31 but man am I stoked. Every club looks beautiful. I love the shape and transition of the set and, though they are slightly larger than my Tour B's, they don't look it until held side by side. Alone, they look very compact and I was really surprised when I set them along side each other. I ordered the Power Spec with the DG105 S300 at +1" and the best they could do was D7 on the SW, which is a little disappointing but it is what it is. I often choke up an inch or more which will help with that in play. We'll see how it goes. I'm off to a nearby driving range to check em out...more soon.

I play +3/4 inch and have purchased two sets of S55s. Both sets had a crazy high swingweights and I sold them. Too bad because I loved the look of them...twice. Mizuno B weight head + 3/4 inch over standard + 115 gram shafts + midsize GP MCC grips = D-0 swingweight

I couldn't cancel my order as they were boxed and built but if anyone is interested once I get them in hand I'll eat $150 off purchase price on a set of 4-PW i500s.

Specs:

Standard length, standard lofts, lie is 1 degree flat. Shafts are Project X LZ 6.0s hardstepped 1 time. Standard Tour Velvets.

After tax they will come to $1275-$1300.

I'll sell them for $1100 shipped brand new in box.

PM if anyone has any interest should have them in hand in the next day or 2.

If they were blue dot I'd have a guy who would be all over them.

Finally got my chance to try these, albeit inside on a sim. Both are good looking heads. Obviously the i500 looks cleaner. At address I'd be hard pressed to tell one from the other.

Thought the i500 felt really good when flushed, but hard on off center and thin shots. Kind of how Pings felt before they went with the CTP. The 210s felt better, like a softer i200, as advertised.

Tried both with different shafts, and save for one shot I never really encountered the distance gains with the i500 some are seeing. Maybe a 5 yard increase. But just like the i200s, the i210s are very consistent with distances on halfway decent swings. The i500s had more variation in distance.

One thing I noticed is that the i500 head felt heavier to me regardless of shaft. That seems counter-intuitive given that it's speced for a little lower swingweight and the stock shaft is lighter. Go figure.

Won't make any final judgement till hitting outside on grass. One thing I was able to concluded is that I'm not a fan of the DG105.

I play +3/4 inch and have purchased two sets of S55s. Both sets had a crazy high swingweights and I sold them. Too bad because I loved the look of them...twice. Mizuno B weight head + 3/4 inch over standard + 115 gram shafts + midsize GP MCC grips = D-0 swingweight

Unfortunately, I'm convinced that I need THIS club to help with my diminishing swing speed due to health problems. I was plenty happy with my Tour Bs other than that I needed more distance. I was torn between my usual shaft, DG 125 S300 and the DG 105 S300, and between swingweight and overall weight. I may have been closer to D2 with the 125 after all. I get really fatigued after 5 or 6 holes and I thought a lighter shaft might help. It still may...we'll see. That's going to be an issue for them going forward if there is so little adjustability with the SW. They did warn me, so I can't complain, but they said that they'd get them as close to D2 as possible...I just didn't think that D7 would be as close as they could get them. I'm not going to judge yet....it may still work out. Again, I'm pretty happy with the whole package, the scoring clubs in particular, which are really beautiful. I was thinking that maybe I should have gone with another gap wedge, like maybe a Vokey or something but after seeing it today, I'm really happy with the U-wedge... it's a beautiful club. Hoping it's not too hot on short shots. More soon...

I hope they work out well for you. I'm going back next week and try more shafts. Maybe I'll be hitting the ball better also. :(

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I hope they work out well for you. I'm going back next week and try more shafts. Maybe I'll be hitting the ball better also. :(

I went with the LZ shaft but I went in with the feeling that these would not feel as good as a solid pieced iron and I was impressed with forgiveness and distance. Not sure why I went combo set other than I’m lucky to play once a week anymore

Ordered mine 2 days ago with XP 105 shafts in retrospec. I didn’t want to like these but numbers were outstanding and dispersion was very good. Hit them against more than I care to admit, Callaway X-Forged were a close second. I was the opposite of a lot here and much preferred them to the 210’s. Third was Bridgestone TourB-CB’s but hard to give up 4-5 mph ball speed per club with a much looser dispersion. They also surprised me on how easy they are to flight down.

Hit TM 750’s & 790’s, Ap3’s (which surprised me), X-forged, 210’s, 765’s, and 1 or 2 others. Coming from MP-4’s, didn’t realize how much I was giving up.

<<Third was BridgestoneTourB-CB’s but hard to give up 4-5 mph ball speed per club with a much looser dispersion. They also surprised me on how easy they are to flight down. >>

+1. My sentiments precisely. Sounds like we've got similar situations. Hoping you get it all figured out...make sure and share the journey.

I like the idea of Retro lofts, but adds bounce to the club. Is a 15* PW too much bounce?

Think so, the stock loft bounce is pushing it already. The stock bounce on my iBlades are manageable, but I had to have my 2.0 wedges shaved. Marty mentioned their most popular tour wedge setup is the 60° SS bent 2° degrees down. And I'm assuming that's to alleviate the bounce a bit.

@therealping