Do you buy off RACK or always get fitted?

NikeSwoosh13

Been playing Ping irons for 20 years. Always play blue or yellow dot S flex. Wedges black dot.

Been playing the same woods and hybrids for several years. Bought off the rack but tested several.

I went for a club champion fitting 2 years ago. He found a shaft that worked a bit better in my woods and hybrids. Irons he fit me the same as what I have.

At double the retail price for his woods I just stuck with mine.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the manufacturer.

I can buy Mizuno’s off the rack with stock specs and game them day 1!

Titleist and Taylor Made I buy off the rack and then have them bent a degree flat.

Good to go!

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

I am curious, for those that say the cost of getting fitted is not worth it. Are you talking about the cost of upgraded shafts, grips, etc? i work at a golf store and the actual fitting is free. it only cost more if you want upgrades that are not standard offerings from what ever manufacturer of club you want to buy.

i will be honest in saying that i am probably not the most competent when it comes to fitting someone. I use lie boards, i measure, and i suggest. I tend to let the individual decide what works for them. i also try to avoid upgrades that add cost.

all that being said 99% of the people i see swing a driver at less than 90 MPH, hit the ball all over the face, have the worst swings imaginable, i am not sure that there is really anything that i can do equipment wise to help that. i see so many people that literally hit the ball the same distance with every club in the bag because they do not have the swing speed and the ability to impact the ball properly. so what would a 25 dollar per club upgraded shaft accomplish. I try to match what is best right off the rack.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Off the rack so far. Have never been fitted for clubs but seem to be doing alright so far. Is there a big difference in price for being fitted for a set compared to buying off the rack?

• Ping G430 Driver 9*
  • Ping G400 3 Wood
  • TaylorMade M4 HL 5 Wood
  • TaylorMade P790 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM8 50*
  • TaylorMade Hi Toe 54*
  • Titleist Vokey SM8 60*
  • Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5

Off the rack so far. Have never been fitted for clubs but seem to be doing alright so far. Is there a big difference in price for being fitted for a set compared to buying off the rack?

if you are just talking about shaft, grip, lie, loft changes. depending on the manufacturer. Much of that can be had for free. i guess it depends on who you are getting fitted by. We do it for free with purchase. if you want your current stuff fitted, then there is cost.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I buy standard (usually used) and fit myself. On most irons, simply knocking off 1/2" length, sometimes 3/4" is all that is needed, and I'm good to go. I'll do a basic lie angle check with the whiteboard marker trick and if adjustments are needed, I have them adjusted at a local shop (and even that's a rarity.)

Had a local pro ask if my clubs were fitted and I described what I did above. He was skeptical, but offered me a quick fit analysis as part of my swing lesson. He concluded that the clubs were fit just fine. Other than being a bit shorter in height than average, I have fairly normal swing speeds and tempo, so I don't require much that is unusual in terms of flex or weight adjustments. DG S300 works fine for me, for example. Any additional "fitting" beyond what I do would be splitting hairs and I have much bigger problems to work out in my game than any minor details of clubfitting.

Drivers I take down to 44 or 43.5" as a rule. Putters almost always are shortened, too.

• 2 months later...

My fitting was hitting 10 balls off a lie board with the "fitter" determining I was 2* upright. I didn't hit those irons great but they were probably too advanced for my skill level. He's no longer in business and there are only a few places here to get fit. I don't believe it's worth it unless you're a top notch player that can consistently hit the ball solid.

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

Always fitted.

To be fair, every time I have been fitted for irons I have come out as standard loft, lie, everything so I probably don't need it much but getting the chance to try new shafts always makes it worth while so I still go for it.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

For me, if i were to buy brand new things all the time, i would just get fit, because the local fitter in my area includes the fitting charge or reimburses it into the cost of the club.

the problem is when i buy prior season model items, do i think it's worth it then?

So my irons are fitted, but my other clubs are not.

Luckily i am standard lie/length, but weight and stiffness is kind of blurry

I think getting fit is great, fun and informative, but it's a big investment in a game that costs more and more

Just got back from 4 hours of driving for a fitting @ TXG. Worth every penny. Found out all my clubs were not for me!? GET FIT!! ;)
in montreal?

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

I think if you are super tall or shorter than average, a fitting for length/lie will help a lot. Other than that, I have seen many players, single digit to + handicaps play golf without being fit. I can understand getting fit if you are trying to make a living out of this as you need to squeak every last bit out of every club, but for the non competitive player, I think it is not worth the money. As stated before, most high handicappers are not going to be helped with a gear mod, its more swing related and I think decent to good golfers can play well with almost anything that is even a close match for them. I think first and foremost it has to feel good and ball flights have to be acceptable. Getting fit may help with a few extra yards here or there but it's not going to shave a massive amount of strokes off a persons game. You can play just as well if you're just having fun and enjoying the clubs you are gaming.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* HZRDUS blue PVD 60s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Nike VFP 4i KBS CTL 115

Ping i230 5-P  KBS CTL 115

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless custom 34"

I think if you are super tall or shorter than average, a fitting for length/lie will help a lot. Other than that, I have seen many players, single digit to + handicaps play golf without being fit.

I too have seen single digit or scratch players playing off the rack equipment. I’ve seen a lot MORE single digit and scratch players who have been fitted, typically a dynamic fitting.

Getting fit may help with a few extra yards here or there but it's not going to shave a massive amount of strokes off a persons game.

Never seen any reputable fitter claim that it would. And if one does, pepper spray that person and run.

I think if you are super tall or shorter than average, a fitting for length/lie will help a lot. Other than that, I have seen many players, single digit to + handicaps play golf without being fit. I can understand getting fit if you are trying to make a living out of this as you need to squeak every last bit out of every club, but for the non competitive player, I think it is not worth the money. As stated before, most high handicappers are not going to be helped with a gear mod, its more swing related and I think decent to good golfers can play well with almost anything that is even a close match for them. I think first and foremost it has to feel good and ball flights have to be acceptable. Getting fit may help with a few extra yards here or there but it's not going to shave a massive amount of strokes off a persons game. You can play just as well if you're just having fun and enjoying the clubs you are gaming.

This !!!

Unless you are terribly ill fit for clubs the average player will adapt to the clubs.

Not ideal ? Correct, but for the average player it'll be just fine.

The lower the handicap the more a "perfect" fit will help.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

This !!!

Unless you are terribly ill fit for clubs the average player will adapt to the clubs.

Thank you, you were able to say what I wanted to in way fewer words..LOL Totally agree...

Nike VFP 4i KBS CTL 115

I've had an in-depth putter fitting at Machine, but I've never done a really in-depth club fitting similar to what Club Champion offers.

I do live close to a PGATSS and will try the different shaft offerings they have before purchasing new sticks. Some of the fitters there are pretty knowledgeable, but don't have the resources some fitting specific stores have. Not all manufacturers have the same "standard' in the loft and lie department, so I'll still hit off the board prior to ordering.

This !!!

How so? Wouldn’t it stand to reason that a lower handicap player has “adapted” to his clubs far better because he has played far more than the average player?

What do you base this on? Because we have decades of experience among fitters here, some retired who have zero financial interest in people being fit.

And they will all say that the exact opposite of what you said is true.

This !!!

How so? Wouldn't it stand to reason that a lower handicap player has "adapted" to his clubs far better because he has played far more than the average player?

What do you base this on? Because we have decades of experience among fitters here, some retired who have zero financial interest in people being fit.

im one of those retired club fitters, and all i can say is, ALL players would have more fun and play better with equipment thats fittet correct for them, but way to much of whats under the "fitting umbrella" has little or nothing to do with it, so i fully understand why fitting has such a variable reputation.

To make this right, it demands both time, knowledge, equipment and a location, and that cant be delivered for free, and thats the next issue here.

The reason there is such a long way between those who actually knows what they are doing, is the business opportunities there is here.

Only a very small fragment of players has, and is willing to pay what this cost, so way to many has expectations without realism when we get to what this would have to cost if that business should be up an run next week too.

Find a qualified fitter who knows what he is doing, you will never regret that, no matter level of player you are on.

Not only will you avoid to buy something you regret, but you get to know yourself and what type of equipment that firs you and why, and that knowledge alone is worth it, so it dont have to be a appointment where you plan to buy anything, go to get knowledge of what fits you, and buy whatever you want after that. Pay for the fitting, and look at it as a architect drawing of something you plan to build, or as an insurance policy against buying something that want be good for you.

If there is no good club fitters in your area, and you dont mind doing club works yourself, we can "fit ourself" if we follows the right step, and use a helpers "eyes" for a few of them, and for many fitting tasks, we dont need special tools or equipment like launch monitors at all.

In tons of cases, fine tuning of what we got can improve things way over and beyond what many think is possible, like a profile in here who dedicated his first eagle to a few grams of lead tape added to the club head.

Here is a DIY driver tune up guide, but it can be used for all clubs in the bag as long as its relevant for them, and if its your putter you want to tweak to the better, jump to post #9 in that tread.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/909991-diy-driver-tune-up-diy-fitting/

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

This !!!

How so? Wouldn't it stand to reason that a lower handicap player has "adapted" to his clubs far better because he has played far more than the average player?

Well, a difference of opinion is expected just about any time one expresses one.

I'm not talking about financial interests at all,,,,,,,,, even though I'm expect there are some fitters/salespersons that are looking to fit someone into a more profitable product - but that's another story.

The less accomplished the player is the more variability they have with their swings. If someone is not swinging the club at least somewhat consistently how is a fitting going to help ? The swing is different every time. Which swing do you fit for ?

As the handicap gets a bit lower the swing is typically a bit more consistent and a fitting MAY help. But even with a somewhat more consistent swing his impact face angles could be very INconsistent and again, fitted clubs won't help.

But as you get to a player whose swing is relatively consistent and he can (mostly) control a golf ball a fitting will be of the most help. So I guess one could say MO is that fitting is "fine tuning" and most do not need it.

Kind of like a casual piano player requiring his piano to be fine tuned to the level of a concert pianist's piano when this casual player can't play more than chopsticks. Or like fishing with dynamite.

Again, just MO, but unless your clubs are very wrong for your swing and consistency, fitting won't help that much and is a rather small, possibly even indiscernible, benefit.

im one of those retired club fitters, and all i can say is, ALL players would have more fun and play better with equipment thats fittet correct for them, but way to much of whats under the "fitting umbrella" has little or nothing to do with it, so i fully understand why fitting has such a variable reputation.

To make this right, it demands both time, knowledge, equipment and a location, and that cant be delivered for free, and thats the next issue here.

The reason there is such a long way between those who actually knows what they are doing, is the business opportunities there is here.

Only a very small fragment of players has, and is willing to pay what this cost, so way to many has expectations without realism when we get to what this would have to cost if that business should be up an run next week too.

Find a qualified fitter who knows what he is doing, you will never regret that, no matter level of player you are on.

Howard, I enjoy reading a LOT of your stuff and your knowledge and helpfulness is unquestioned.

I also understand that fitting is very time consuming and equipment is expensive. I am not questioning the costs of a good fitting at all, just the number of golfers who really need as good a fit as possible.

And I'm sure anyone who gets fit properly "will never regret it". The question really is, "will he ever appreciate it ?"

I say this because again, unless his current clubs are really wrong for him, he's not going to see the benefit of his being fit - he'll just think his practice is finally paying off. If his clubs WERE really poorly fit for him then he probably will understand how much the fitting benefited him.

Ping Glide Pro 48*

This !!!

Well, a difference of opinion is expected just about any time one expresses one.

I'm not talking about financial interests at all,,,,,,,,, even though I'm expect there are some fitters/salespersons that are looking to fit someone into a more profitable product - but that's another story.

The less accomplished the player is the more variability they have with their swings. If someone is not swinging the club at least somewhat consistently how is a fitting going to help ? The swing is different every time. Which swing do you fit for ?

As the handicap gets a bit lower the swing is typically a bit more consistent and a fitting MAY help. But even with a somewhat more consistent swing his impact face angles could be very INconsistent and again, fitted clubs won't help.

But as you get to a player whose swing is relatively consistent and he can (mostly) control a golf ball a fitting will be of the most help. So I guess one could say MO is that fitting is "fine tuning" and most do not need it.

Kind of like a casual piano player requiring his piano to be fine tuned to the level of a concert pianist's piano when this casual player can't play more than chopsticks. Or like fishing with dynamite.

Again, just MO, but unless your clubs are very wrong for your swing and consistency, fitting won't help that much and is a rather small, possibly even indiscernible, benefit.

Howard, I enjoy reading a LOT of your stuff and your knowledge and helpfulness is unquestioned.

I also understand that fitting is very time consuming and equipment is expensive. I am not questioning the costs of a good fitting at all, just the number of golfers who really need as good a fit as possible.

And I'm sure anyone who gets fit properly "will never regret it". The question really is, "will he ever appreciate it ?"

I say this because again, unless his current clubs are really wrong for him, he's not going to see the benefit of his being fit - he'll just think his practice is finally paying off. If his clubs WERE really poorly fit for him then he probably will understand how much the fitting benefited him.

Oh yes, how much we can get out of it depends on many factors, and how good or bad fit is the gear we have now is a major factor on that question. We have all been there with 14 clubs in the bag, but only a few we could really trust, even on bad days. The others could be "so so", but we had fun and both good and bad rounds, but then we have those days where we would have been better off if we had left those "so so" clubs at home, so clubs that works for us so we can trust them do matter, and thats where fitting comes into it.

Not all levels of players benefits or need a full tour level fitting, far from that, but even on the basic fitting specs there is way to little knowledge and respect for the customers and them self. i only need to mention 3 parameters, and thats play length, total weight and balance, and we get to see that hardly any place takes care of all 3 before we are at the high end places with pricing that match that, but this are the basics and where it all starts, but after grip size and model is found who should be the first. This is really all it takes to get a good start, but thats not whats offered or where focus is. Things like flex letters who hardly any player understand right, or "the latest tech" seems to be what gets the attention, and thats a shame.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

This is not to knock fitters at all, I think there is a real need for them at a certain level. I just find it interesting that while we talk about growing the game, things like "full fittings" become a necessity to some. In an already expensive game, I think when people now hear this is an important part of "being good at golf" it's a turnoff to those who want to get into the game. Why put so much emphasis on it? Again, I am in no way saying it won't be beneficial, but to most who are getting into the game or already playing, I just think it's not that important unless they are swinging 110 with their grandmas ladies hand me downs. Nsxguy makes a lot of great points IMO.. I think people can adjust to their equipment, so without a somewhat repetitive swing, why bother with a fitting. A set of fitted clubs is not going to make a difference... OTR will suffice in MOST cases.

Nike VFP 4i KBS CTL 115

This is not to knock fitters at all, I think there is a real need for them at a certain level. I just find it interesting that while we talk about growing the game, things like "full fittings" become a necessity to some. In an already expensive game, I think when people now hear this is an important part of "being good at golf" it's a turnoff to those who want to get into the game. Why put so much emphasis on it? Again, I am in no way saying it won't be beneficial, but to most who are getting into the game or already playing, I just think it's not that important unless they are swinging 110 with their grandmas ladies hand me downs. Nsxguy makes a lot of great points IMO.. I think people can adjust to their equipment, so without a somewhat repetitive swing, why bother with a fitting. A set of fitted clubs is not going to make a difference... OTR will suffice in MOST cases.

Think of the entirety of the golf industry’s messaging. Forget WRX. There is a very minuscule group of fitters and others who advocate for it. And I have never heard any of them say a full fitting is a necessity or a prerequisite to someone entering the game.

Fitting costs are variable and unknown to 90% of established golfers. The notion of fitting isn’t turning anyone away from the game.

I think you’re reaching quite a bit. Someone who wants to get into golf and walks into a PGA SS could very easily get dissuaded the moment he sees a $799 set of clubs.

I am sold on fitting as I have been the guy who buys off the shelf and then buys shafts that "I" like.

I went to club champion the other day and forked out the 150.00 for a driver fitting.

Found out the head I was using was perfect but the shaft was not optimal.

91.4 constant club head speed fitted with the right shaft that was fitted for me I went from 205-210 yards to 238-250 with roll same course same conditions using game golf

I am now convinced that this is the real deal.

Golf Daily

I think you're reaching quite a bit. Someone who wants to get into golf and walks into a PGA SS could very easily get dissuaded the moment he sees a $799 set of clubs.

I'm not so sure about that.

A golf store is typically a "destination" store.

(Other) shoppers walking by don't typically say "Hey, there's a golf store. I was always thinking of playing. Let's see what it costs".

People going into a golf store are already interested; have already decided to look into it and most likely already have some idea what it costs.

Or at least have been told "it's expensive".

Ping Glide Pro 48*

As a lefy, it's hard to get fitted for new clubs locally. One of the courses I play have the Titleiest trial and test program but no lefty sets. I don't blame them though, lefty segment is a small-ish segment. Demo days are a great resource though as most of the manufactuers do bring their A game lefty game to the table. I've been fitting myself buying different irons off eBay and getting lie adjusted if need be. I can re-grip my own clubs and cut my own clubs. Through my own trial and error, and the knowledgable folks on this forum, I figured out 2-3 degrees flat from standard is my jam.