Cobra '19 News?

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can the irons be pre ordered online anywhere?

I believe fairwaygolfusa has them for preorder.

I bought my F7s and F8s from Discount Dans, they were always great to work with. I think both times I placed the order in early December.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Lets see the fairways F9 and F9+ :superman2: :superman:

Driver: Callaway Epic MAX LS 9* Tensei AV Raw white 60 S
Fairway: Callaway Paratem Triple Diamond 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

DI: Titleist U500 23* HZRDUS Smoke Black 90 6.0
Irons: Titleist T100 5-Gap Project X LZ 6.5
Wedges: Taylormade Hi Toe 54/60 Project X LZ 6.5
Putter: Odyssey O Works 7
Ball: Vice Pro

Grips: Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Midsize Teams

Interesting that this new photos have standard adapters in them as opposed to the new increment labels.

Most likely they were testing with previous generation adapter.

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

I feel like the speedback would be distracting looking, even as subtle as it is. Do love Cobra stuff so I hope they are on to something.

The yellow is hideous, though. Those are going to be selling for <50% of the retail price by the end of next year just like the wacky looking Fly Z's did. I bought one for $90 brand new about one year after it came out.

I must say that I really like the yellow with the carbon crown.

It seems like the F9 Tour (plus) Fairway Woods have other Turbolators than the standard Version. Looks funny, seems like there is something missing on the crown. Don't like the look of the crown.

The normal one looks way better in the shiny version with the yellow, than the white with the matt and shiny crown.

Hope to geht some Infos on the Shafts for the Fairways (Europe Specs, not US availability)

Driver: Callaway Epic MAX LS 9* Tensei AV Raw white 60 S
Fairway: Callaway Paratem Triple Diamond 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

DI: Titleist U500 23* HZRDUS Smoke Black 90 6.0
Irons: Titleist T100 5-Gap Project X LZ 6.5
Wedges: Taylormade Hi Toe 54/60 Project X LZ 6.5
Putter: Odyssey O Works 7
Ball: Vice Pro

Grips: Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Midsize Teams

Just read a full review on this, I can't see me changing from my F8 , I prefer the look of the F8 also.

I know it was Rickie who gave the Ok on the yellow even over orange. But for the more subtle player there is a colour called avalanche which is between white and a light grey.

Also no f9+ the 9* head will act as the plus.

Will give it a try but going by looks the now I will be gaming the F8 for another season atleast.

Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5*, UST Attas Prototype DK 7x 44.5"

5wood: Ping G400 16.5*, Ping Tour 7x 42"

2iron: Srixon ZX 18* , Aerotech steelfiber i95s, 1* Flat standard Length.

3hybrid: Ping G410 20* Flat, Fujikura 2.0 8x

4&5irons: Ping i200 , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

6-pw: Ping i Blade , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 52* & 58* , Aerotech Steelfiber i95s. 1*Flat

Putter: Nike Method 001 "Oven" flowneck.

Grips: Lamkin UTX 

Ball: Vice Pro Plus (white & Neon yellow)

Looks like they’re doing progressive shaft weights on the F9 One Length irons? First they changed the lie angles from uniform to variable, and now shaft weights. The length is basically the only constant with their SL irons now. Swing weight too I guess.

Interesting ideas. I’ll be curious to see whether people notice more/less consistency vs Cobra’s previous One Length sets.

This is a funky looking iron.

https://www.golfdige...impression=true

Looks like they're doing progressive shaft weights on the F9 One Length irons?

I'm pretty sure that they've been doing progressive weights on the shafts. The stock shaft AMT stands for "Ascending Mass Technology".

On the One Lengths, tho? I am unaware that they have been doing that in the past on those sets. Progressive shaft tipping, maybe, but not varying shaft weights by 25-30g through the set.

This is a funky looking iron.

https://www.golfdige...impression=true

Looks like they're doing progressive shaft weights on the F9 One Length irons?

I'm pretty sure that they've been doing progressive weights on the shafts. The stock shaft AMT stands for "Ascending Mass Technology".

On the One Lengths, tho? I am unaware that they have been doing that in the past on those sets. Progressive shaft tipping, maybe, but not varying shaft weights by 25-30g through the set.

Looks like it may be only in the FTB not the F8's. This is from the page for FTBs Steel shafts feature progressive weighting (increase in 3g increments through the set) to deliver higher launching long irons, and lower, more controlled trajectories in the short irons.

Progressive weighting in the AMT shafts for FTB variable length only. For one length, they use all 7i shafts.

This is a pretty big change for the F9 one length. This whole one length thing is so confusing. One minute I hear you are supposed to swing the exact same swing through the set. Now they say you need to swing stronger lofted clubs faster to get the right performance and wedges easier, so they are using different weighted shafts. Who the heck knows anymore. I think they are just throwing crap on the wall with one length at this point.

Progressive weighting in the AMT shafts for FTB variable length only. For one length, they use all 7i shafts.

This is a pretty big change for the F9 one length. This whole one length thing is so confusing. One minute I hear you are supposed to swing the exact same swing through the set. Now they say you need to swing stronger lofted clubs faster to get the right performance and wedges easier, so they are using different weighted shafts. Who the heck knows anymore. I think they are just throwing crap on the wall with one length at this point.

That's what I thought as well. As a single-length player (Sterling), I value having my specs the same from 4h-LW and I feel that it's helped me play some really good golf. I could get behind the F8 OL having variable lie angles, but not sure about the variable shaft weighting.

All that said, Cobra generally makes good stuff and their R&D seems solid. Olsavsky has been in charge of some seriously good products over the years. I'm curious how they will implement the different shaft weights.

The info I quoted about AMT was directly from the COBRA site on the FTB ONE length page.

That's what I thought as well. As a single-length player (Sterling), I value having my specs the same from 4h-LW and I feel that it's helped me play some really good golf. I could get behind the F8 OL having variable lie angles, but not sure about the variable shaft weighting.

All that said, Cobra generally makes good stuff and their R&D seems solid. Olsavsky has been in charge of some seriously good products over the years. I'm curious how they will implement the different shaft weights.

The name is One LENGTH not one spec.The idea is to allow the same* setup with virtually every iron. *setup being more so overall posture than to exact ball position.

The concept is not foreign. Simply look to the number of players on tour who will use different shafts in their driving irons or use a combo set of irons with a more CB or *forgiving* head design, they are typically seeking easier launch while maintaining the same control.

The biggest issue i see with the average golfer who doesn't generate any where close to tour speeds is that with heavier shafts in the long irons the average joe tends to shorter up and swing harder rather than let the length of their swing dictate overall speed. Much if this could easily be attributed to the weight of the shaft in conjuncture with a full/long swing being difficult to control.

By moving to a light weight shaft in the long irons, it simply allows golfers to flight the ball higher. The biggest issue I've seen reported is that the shorter long irons simply don't get high enough despite contact/strike reported being much improved. The shorter shaft = lower launch is also a well known aspect of the golf swing. They even discuss it in the TS Driver fitting video from a while back.

With all that being said, it must be kept in mind that the "stock" offerings have a very specific portion of the bell curve that it is tailoring to. Player's who have no issue generating speed or can strike/elevate long irons with ease need not concern themselves with the stock specs as they likely would be moving in to a fitted set anyways.

As a builder/fitter/tinkerer the choice to move to different weight of shaft makes a lot of sense.

The info I quoted about AMT was directly from the COBRA site on the FTB ONE length page.

My bad.

Was hoping the one length hybrid would also be offered in 17 degrees or even a one length 15 degree fairway, always wanted to try a 7 iron length club off the tee that would go 4 woodish distance

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black