2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

The 2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National (MERGED)

fillwelix

What do you want them to do ?

Bring on people who are going to talk about how Europe are going to get a butt kicking by the USA !

Which is most probably going to be the outcome .

I am British but live in the US but hold no illusions of what is coming . But if they told the truth on the Golf Channel we would all get sick of hearing it , at least we can pretend it will be competitive.

You really think that? I'm not predicting anything, but the Euros look plenty strong to me. BTW, is this a course that the European Tour plays a regular event on?

Yep, the same course as the French Open venue, great course, super down the stretch, It's a pity that the great hole 18 will not be played that much. But I guess they have fiddled around with the course setup

As for the chances for the US team I'd say they are pretty good. A lot of Euros are a bit out of form, I guess there will be a Tigermania that will help the US team. And the atmosphere will have to be made by Irish and UK fellows. I know that the tickets are sold out, but I doubt that golf can create any kind of Coupe du Monde 98 feeling among the natives. I'll be surprised if there will be any kind of Hazeltine atmosphere there.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GolfChannel really is a hopeless, anti-American demoralization network.

Their "coverage" so far consists of:

- Talking heads telling us all about Team USA's problems

- British guests smugly predicting European success (with no one even questioning them)

- Endless replays of Phil's bad drive at the 2004 Ryder Cup

Hey GC, Phil's done some good things at the RC too. He had a great singles match at Hazeltine. Why not show that?

If I had big money I'd start my own golf channel. And it wouldn't be like GolfChannel.

Lemme guess. They brought out the toothless Ken Scholfield to blather on about the form of the euro players. Then he talked about the superb leadership of the Ryder Cup legend Thomas Bjorn all the while talking about how Rory is rounding into form.

Ken picked the U.S.!

Well, it was just a guess!

Faldo looked surprised.

The build up to Ryder Cups is insufferable these days. 24/7 sports channels have a lot to answer for.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

The build up to Ryder Cups is insufferable these days. 24/7 sports channels have a lot to answer for.

The only bad thing about it for me is that it makes me want to be Friday already! Can hardly wait. I am even looking forward to the early wake up call.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

does the ball that each person plays come into choosing what pairings are done for alternate shot

Absolutely!

I don't think it would be the major factor but definitely a consideration. Phil has been spotted practicing with a Brdigestone over the last couple of days as an example of that. That would tend to suggest that there is a good prospect that he plays with Tiger or Bryson in foursomes.

Hadn't heard that. You are doing a good job of hiding your excitement at the prospect! Loved that Frank said yesterday the Euros would love to see a Phil/Tiger team.

I don't think Phil should be on the team, I wouldn't be surprised if he's doing everything he can to play with Tiger, and I think Furyk could very will be influenced to do it.

All I can say is - yikes!

does the ball that each person plays come into choosing what pairings are done for alternate shot

Absolutely!

I don't think it would be the major factor but definitely a consideration. Phil has been spotted practicing with a Brdigestone over the last couple of days as an example of that. That would tend to suggest that there is a good prospect that he plays with Tiger or Bryson in foursomes.

Hadn't heard that. You are doing a good job of hiding your excitement at the prospect! Loved that Frank said yesterday the Euros would love to see a Phil/Tiger team.

I don't think Phil should be on the team, I wouldn't be surprised if he's doing everything he can to play with Tiger, and I think Furyk could very will be influenced to do it.

All I can say is - yikes!

Would love for it to happen. They are both used to pressure but their last team outing was so horrifically bad that the pressure would be ramped up so much more. It would be a shocking decision if Fuyrk did go with that as a combo. In fact, Phil playing with anyone in foursomes is something that Europe would love to see.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Looks like DL3 is enjoying his time so far in France!

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Looks like DL3 is enjoying his time so far in France!

He looks miserable because he's thinking to himself "Furyk dont you lose that f@ckin trophy i worked so hard to get!"

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

OK - so we've cleaned a few things up over the last few pages of the thread and need to note some issues. We aren't issuing warnings, so consider this fair notice.

First - we need to stop with the masked language. Don't use * and @ symbols to get around the language filters here. It's against our forum rules.

Second - while enthusiastic support for your country or team is encouraged, we are not going to tolerate attacking or denigrating in any manner. We're going to have a very low tolerance for this over the next few days, so if you are enjoying participating in a discussion about the Ryder Cup, understand that if you post an attack on someone's country of origin, whether it's European or the U.S., you will likely be suspended from posting for the remainder of the Cup.

Thanks for understanding and for helping us out. It's going to be a really exciting Cup and we want everyone, no matter who you're rooting for, to have fun with it here at GolfWRX.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 3i 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

Who was the young Belgian who played so well at Hazeltine? I really enjoyed watching him. I take it he didn't make the team this year?

Of course, being an American, I route for the USA in this, but there is absolutely nobody on either team I don't enjoy watching a lot, other than Hatton, Noren, and Oleson, who I don't know much about. But every Ryder Cup there is some Euro I don't know anything about who plays great (the above mentioned Belgian being a case in point).

I'm nursing a torn achilles tendon, so I'll probably watch every second of coverage.

I'm mostly hoping neither team runs away with it on Days 1 and 2...

Looking forward to it!

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Who was the young Belgian who played so well at Hazeltine? I really enjoyed watching him. I take it he didn't make the team this year?

Of course, being an American, I route for the USA in this, but there is absolutely nobody on either team I don't enjoy watching a lot, other than Hatton, Noren, and Oleson, who I don't know much about. But every Ryder Cup there is some Euro I don't know anything about who plays great (the above mentioned Belgian being a case in point).

I'm nursing a torn achilles tendon, so I'll probably watch every second of coverage.

Looking forward to it!

Andrew Colsaerts - dude made every putt on Saturday.

Looking forward to it!

He was a machine. Seriously.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Looking forward to it!

Errr that would be Nicolas Colsaerts.

Think your getting him mixed up with the Scot Andrew Coltart, and trust me he never did anything good in the Ryder cup apart from getting his Word not allowed handed to me by TW in one match once, and that was at Medina

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Bettinardi BB39

Looking forward to it!

At Hazeltine was Thomas Pieters, while at Medina was Nicolas Colsaerts ;)

Do we know who played together today? Brandel and Frank Nobilo were speculating that Reed and Spieth might not be paired due to some comment Reed made earlier in the season (one where he didn't get a drop and said he would have if he was Spieth and another where he said his back was tired at the Ryder Cup).

But the way Spieth and Reed pair in Fourballs they have said that they are out there trying to beat each other and, as long as one is beating the other on every hole, they know they will go low. If there is animosity, I think that only ramps up their intensity to beat each other, so why not pair them?

They are one point way from joining the likes of Seve/Jose Maria, Faldo/Woosnam, Westwood/Clarke as the only duos to earn 6 points - it's nonsense.

Not sure if everyone is aware, but I didn't realize that in Foursomes they can actually switch balls every hole, so any talk of not being used to another player's ball is kind of nonsense. On a Par 3, you can always use your own ball and I'd assume on any driver hole they would use the ball that the second player will be hitting to the green. Sure, there could be some minor differences for feel around the green, but they can't be THAT different. Off the tee these guys could hit range balls and it wouldn't matter.

Do we know who played together today? Brandel and Frank Nobilo were speculating that Reed and Spieth might not be paired due to some comment Reed made earlier in the season (one where he didn't get a drop and said he would have if he was Spieth and another where he said his back was tired at the Ryder Cup).

But the way Spieth and Reed pair in Fourballs they have said that they are out there trying to beat each other and, as long as one is beating the other on every hole, they know they will go low. If there is animosity, I think that only ramps up their intensity to beat each other, so why not pair them?

They are one point way from joining the likes of Seve/Jose Maria, Faldo/Woosnam, Westwood/Clarke as the only duos to earn 6 points - it's nonsense.

Wow really? I guess Team Spieth takes precedence over Team US.

If that gossipy news is true, that is darn petty on Spieth's part. Everyone knows Reed can run hot and isn't exactly Mr. Congeniality.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Wow really? I guess Team Spieth takes precedence over Team US.

If that gossipy news is true, that is darn petty on Spieth's part. Everyone knows Reed can run hot and isn't exactly Mr. Congeniality.

It's all nonsense, you know both Spieth and Reed will be team players and care more about the team winning over personal pride. Spieth was leading the chants at Hazeltine when he wasn't playing well and Reed was

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

Is anyone watching these player interviews this morning? Some guy asked JT a weird question about his Dad and it was so out of place and awkward and not even correct lol

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

You have got to be wondering about the 'Phil situation' right about now, after shooting 73-72-76-72-293 and coming in last place at the TC! I try real hard to like the guy, but he seems to be in self-destruct mode. It looks like easy points for Europe courtesy of Phil Phlop.

If they weighted events chronologically - which they should - who cares what you did in Jan?

They could quite easily add a monthly offset on a sliding scale, to get a more realistic points total leading up to the event. I don't think anyone other than Phil & Furyk think Phil should be on the team.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

You have got to be wondering about the 'Phil situation' right about now, after shooting 73-72-76-72-293 and coming in last place at the TC! I try real hard to like the guy, but he seems to be in self-destruct mode. It looks like easy points for Europe courtesy of Phil Phlop.

He might not even play on Day 1. With Fourballs in the morning Friday, the US has to put out it's 4 strongest teams, and that doesn't include Phil in any way - and we all know he can't be put in Foursomes. Our Fouballs teams have to be some combo of:

Koepka/DJ

Tiger/Bryson

Reed/Spieth

Finau/Bubba???? Where else do you put these guys???

They could quite easily add a monthly offset on a sliding scale, to get a more realistic points total leading up to the event. I don't think anyone other than Phil & Furyk think Phil should be on the team.

Phil was a "legacy" pick and I'm fine with it. He doesn't add anything to the team, but who else do we add that would have improved this team? Kyle Stanley for Foursomes, maybe, but that's it. I just hope they don't play him more than one session because I can't see where he fits in anywhere and he looks annoying as f*** to partner with trying to read every putt.

These were the USA's groups this morning, so I think pairings are shaping up:

Reed, Spieth, JT, Tiger

DC, Phil, Webb, Bubba

Finau, Fowler, DJ, Koepka

So I'm thinking these are the Friday pairings:

Fourballs: Reed/Spieth, Tiger/Bryson, Webb/Bubba, Koepka/DJ

Foursomes: Reed/Spieth, JT/Tiger, Finau/Fowler, Phil/Bryson (I can't believe I'm throwing that pair out, but have to play Phil somewhere)

Reed, Spieth, JT, Tiger

DC, Phil, Webb, Bubba

Foursomes: Reed/Spieth, JT/Tiger, Finau/Fowler, Phil/Bryson (I can't believe I'm throwing that pair out, but have to play Phil somewhere)

Phil is not...I repeat IS NOT playing Foursomes. Furyk may be his BFF but anyone with half a brain knows better than to let that guy play alternate shot.

I'm tempted to start a new thread: "Which would you rather have as your foursomes partner, Phil or a 4-Handicap?"

Reed, Spieth, JT, Tiger

DC, Phil, Webb, Bubba

Surely if there going to play Phil it would be the fourballs, cant believe they will let him near the foursomes

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Bettinardi BB39

and if there was a time for someone to carry Speith it would be now

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5