2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2019 Phoenix Area Course Conditions

azgolfer44

Love Longbow too. My office is a pitch shot away from the 12th green (I think). Might see me on the phone someday standing at the fence watching. Lol

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Played Legacy yesterday. The greens are PURE. So good right now. Bunkers were ok, lots of standing water and muddy areas in both the bunkers and low points in the fairway. Our experience playing however was pretty bad.

Booked. 5:45 am tee time knowing that playing that early we would be able to finish quickly and get back home to our families. The course lets a group of 5 seniors off before us and we now have to wait on 90% of our shots. We asked the starter before we teed off about the fivesome and was blown off. He said they play fast there’s no way we’ll catch them. On the 3rd tee we called the pro shop letting them know we have waited on every hole, they said they’d send someone out but we didn’t see a Marshall until #9. The group in front of them is now 3 holes ahead of them and were still waiting on every shot. Said something to the pro shop after our round and was told to kick rocks because the group was “members” even though this is a public resort course.

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

> @Olson12 said:

> Played Legacy yesterday. The greens are PURE. So good right now. Bunkers were ok, lots of standing water and muddy areas in both the bunkers and low points in the fairway. Our experience playing however was pretty bad.

>

> Booked. 5:45 am tee time knowing that playing that early we would be able to finish quickly and get back home to our families. The course lets a group of 5 seniors off before us and we now have to wait on 90% of our shots. We asked the starter before we teed off about the fivesome and was blown off. He said they play fast there’s no way we’ll catch them. On the 3rd tee we called the pro shop letting them know we have waited on every hole, they said they’d send someone out but we didn’t see a Marshall until #9. The group in front of them is now 3 holes ahead of them and were still waiting on every shot. Said something to the pro shop after our round and was told to kick rocks because the group was “members” even though this is a public resort course.

Visit PHX area at least 3 times a year and have played all the courses mentioned in these threads. That is the one course I will not go back to simply for their terrible customer service and logistics. We waited 20 mins for a cart and we basically were basically on the tee as we got one. Course played almost 6 hours and ranger and pro shop didnt care. Awful experience for a midwesterner who makes it out often. So many other options.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

St Andrews The Old Course... Oh sorry! wrong thread... ?[]

9oxmcu1ae95u.jpg

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Red Mountain Ranch was in surprisingly good shape for this time of the year. The greens were actually really pure, some of the fairways were sotty but Teed off at 7:45 AM on Saturday and got around in 3:50 while waiting for the 4some in front of us on every hole more or less. Was Only $30 to play there.

> @teejaywhy said:

> > @Rohlio said:

> > St Andrews The Old Course... Oh sorry! wrong thread... ?[]

> > 9oxmcu1ae95u.jpg

> >

> Look at that blue sky. Fake! And a yellow ball? Really.

> B)

> (enjoy ya bastage!)

>

>

>

>

I hit old course and Kingsbarns on The two best weather days of the year!

WITB:

> @Rohlio said:

> St Andrews The Old Course... Oh sorry! wrong thread... ?[]

> 9oxmcu1ae95u.jpg

>

>

>

Why so short of the road? ?

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

> @One_Putt_Blunder said:

> > @Rohlio said:

> > St Andrews The Old Course... Oh sorry! wrong thread... ?[]

> > 9oxmcu1ae95u.jpg

> >

> >

> >

>

> Why so short of the road? ?

1 perspective....2 I don't hit the ball very far.

WITB:

> @Rohlio said:

> > @One_Putt_Blunder said:

> > > @Rohlio said:

> > > St Andrews The Old Course... Oh sorry! wrong thread... ?[]

> > > 9oxmcu1ae95u.jpg

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Why so short of the road? ?

>

> 1 perspective....2 I don't hit the ball very far.

I 3 putted from 25 feet on a pretty flat line bogey bogey finish

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Played Southern Dunes today. The greens were in rough shape, I'd give it at least a week before playing it. The tees, fairways and bunkers were immaculate though. Also, bring bug spray if you're going to play in the morning, the mosquitos were quite aggressive. Still by far and away the best course in Arizona IMO, absolutely love that place.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

> @One_Putt_Blunder said:

> > @Rohlio said:

> > > @One_Putt_Blunder said:

> > > > @Rohlio said:

> > > > St Andrews The Old Course... Oh sorry! wrong thread... ?[]

> > > > 9oxmcu1ae95u.jpg

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Why so short of the road? ?

> >

> > 1 perspective....2 I don't hit the ball very far.

>

> I 3 putted from 25 feet on a pretty flat line bogey bogey finish

I birdied 17 and two putted from 10 feet on 18.

WITB:

Played Wildfire Faldo this afternoon. I’ve played the Player before, but first time on this one. Conditioning wasn’t great. Greens were super slow. Tee boxes a little long and a ton of burnt out patches in the fairways. Bunkers were at least playable - I’d call them soft dirt. As far as the course, I didn’t love it. I’m cool with heavy strategic bunkering, but this course is a little over the top. I able to get over most of the bunkers that are randomly put in the middle of fairways. I’m an 11 and not a bomber by any means (280-290 usually), but I think being a resort course that many players probably get into a bit too much trouble with the excessive placement of bunkers. I did get around in 3.5 hours being paired up with a single and another pair, so not bad for timing. I’ve played the Player before and didn’t mind it, but won’t go out of my way for the Faldo. Overall, there’s much better options in the valley for good courses at better cost than Wildfire.

> @Kuhndogg8 said:

> Played Wildfire Faldo this afternoon. I’ve played the Player before, but first time on this one. Conditioning wasn’t great. Greens were super slow. Tee boxes a little long and a ton of burnt out patches in the fairways. Bunkers were at least playable - I’d call them soft dirt. As far as the course, I didn’t love it. I’m cool with heavy strategic bunkering, but this course is a little over the top. I able to get over most of the bunkers that are randomly put in the middle of fairways. I’m an 11 and not a bomber by any means (280-290 usually), but I think being a resort course that many players probably get into a bit too much trouble with the excessive placement of bunkers. I did get around in 3.5 hours being paired up with a single and another pair, so not bad for timing. I’ve played the Player before and didn’t mind it, but won’t go out of my way for the Faldo. Overall, there’s much better options in the valley for good courses at better cost than Wildfire.

Not trying to give you a hard time but:

1. The other course there is the Palmer course, not Player.

2. 280-290 consistently would make you statically longer than ~98% of all people that have ever played golf. Assuming that's accurate you'd be considered a bomber virtually anywhere outside of the long drive circuit or the PGA Tour

3. The "burn out spots" are likely due to the spray kill of winter rye. That's with intent because otherwise the course will be really patchy soon

4. Greens were likely slow because it is aeration season. Perhaps not but highly likely

Both of those courses are mediocre. I can agree with that completely.

> @az2au said:

> > @Kuhndogg8 said:

> > Played Wildfire Faldo this afternoon. I’ve played the Player before, but first time on this one. Conditioning wasn’t great. Greens were super slow. Tee boxes a little long and a ton of burnt out patches in the fairways. Bunkers were at least playable - I’d call them soft dirt. As far as the course, I didn’t love it. I’m cool with heavy strategic bunkering, but this course is a little over the top. I able to get over most of the bunkers that are randomly put in the middle of fairways. I’m an 11 and not a bomber by any means (280-290 usually), but I think being a resort course that many players probably get into a bit too much trouble with the excessive placement of bunkers. I did get around in 3.5 hours being paired up with a single and another pair, so not bad for timing. I’ve played the Player before and didn’t mind it, but won’t go out of my way for the Faldo. Overall, there’s much better options in the valley for good courses at better cost than Wildfire.

>

> Not trying to give you a hard time but:

> 1. The other course there is the Palmer course, not Player.

> 2. 280-290 consistently would make you statically longer than ~98% of all people that have ever played golf. Assuming that's accurate you'd be considered a bomber virtually anywhere outside of the long drive circuit or the PGA Tour

> 3. The "burn out spots" are likely due to the spray kill of winter rye. That's with intent because otherwise the course will be really patchy soon

> 4. Greens were likely slow because it is aeration season. Perhaps not but highly likely

>

> Both of those courses are mediocre. I can agree with that completely.

>

>

Oh 100% they’re slow due to aeration season. They were a little sanded. Totally expected this time of year> @az2au said:

> > @Kuhndogg8 said:

> > Played Wildfire Faldo this afternoon. I’ve played the Player before, but first time on this one. Conditioning wasn’t great. Greens were super slow. Tee boxes a little long and a ton of burnt out patches in the fairways. Bunkers were at least playable - I’d call them soft dirt. As far as the course, I didn’t love it. I’m cool with heavy strategic bunkering, but this course is a little over the top. I able to get over most of the bunkers that are randomly put in the middle of fairways. I’m an 11 and not a bomber by any means (280-290 usually), but I think being a resort course that many players probably get into a bit too much trouble with the excessive placement of bunkers. I did get around in 3.5 hours being paired up with a single and another pair, so not bad for timing. I’ve played the Player before and didn’t mind it, but won’t go out of my way for the Faldo. Overall, there’s much better options in the valley for good courses at better cost than Wildfire.

>

> 2. 280-290 consistently would make you statically longer than ~98% of all people that have ever played golf. Assuming that's accurate you'd be considered a bomber virtually anywhere outside of the long drive circuit or the PGA Tour

> 3. The "burn out spots" are likely due to the spray kill of winter rye. That's with intent because otherwise the course will be really patchy soon

> 4. Greens were likely slow because it is aeration season. Perhaps not but highly likely

>

>

>

> @az2au said:

> > @Kuhndogg8 said:

>

>

>

>

> @az2au said:

> > @Kuhndogg8 said:

>

>

>

>

> @az2au said:

> > @Kuhndogg8 said:

>

>

>

>

Apologies. Had Player on the brain as I recently played a Player course in Palm Springs. Course shape and green speed is absolutely a result of summer transition, which I am well aware of. Being that it’s a course condition thread, it seems relevant. Enjoy your weekend.

> @Kuhndogg8 said:

> As far as the course, I didn’t love it. I’m cool with heavy strategic bunkering, but this course is a little over the top. I able to get over most of the bunkers that are randomly put in the middle of fairways.

I have extremely low standards for what I consider to be tolerable for course architecture. For example, I like some Sun City West courses that many folks on here wouldn't caught dead on. That being said, I found Wildfire Faldo to be just plain unenjoyable, mainly due to the excessive bunkering. Particularly the large fairway bunkers. It was in peak winter condition when I played, and I was hitting the ball about average for me that day, but I just walked off 18 thinking I would have had more fun at Cave Creek or something. Reminded me of when I played TPC Heron Bay in Florida back in the 1990s, the bunkering was so nuts that they even bragged about it in their ads, swear that course had more sand than grass, at least Faldo wasn't that bad.

On the other hand, I do like Palmer course, and do not hestiate to play it if I can find a deal. I also have good luck with pace of play there even on busy days. The par 5's with "junk/waste areas in the middle" get repetitive though.

Played Cave Creek today (last min Father’s Day round of golf) and it was enjoyable. Somehow managed to shoot -1 (unfortunately from the whites but still good in my book). Course was in fair condition overall, greens were good with some meh spots. Definitely an interesting layout and green set up. For $35 wasn’t too shabby in my book. Ticked me right off though that the restaurant wasn’t open in the morning before tee off, on Sunday, on Father’s Day no less.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Any architecturally interesting courses in rocky point? I’m staying at las Palomas with my cousins in oct.

Played Apache stronghold on Saturday. Very good Doak design. My 2nd time playing it. Conditions are poor but I’m into design and we paid $16 each lol. It’s probably a once a year course for me. Greens were mostly fine. Some fairway lies were hard pan or wet just luck of the draw. I’d put it in my top 15-20 courses I’ve played in AZ. If this course was in Scottsdale it’d be the best public course in az.

Played we ko pa saguaro Sunday am. Most people would like the conditions. I thought it was way too soft. Greens were fine. Sand & tees were very good. Pace wasn’t bad at all for Father’s Day. 10 min tee time intervals help. For the level of course we ko pa is I’ve alwsys thought their staff friendliness is ok but not great. 9 is a very underrated hole imho. I haven’t played cholla in a couple of years and just don’t have much desire to. If I want split fairways I’d play AS again.

> @BUCKEYERBALL88 said:

> Any architecturally interesting courses in rocky point? I’m staying at las Palomas with my cousins in oct.

>

> Played Apache stronghold on Saturday. Very good Doak design. My 2nd time playing it. Conditions are poor but I’m into design and we paid $16 each lol. It’s probably a once a year course for me. Greens were mostly fine. Some fairway lies were hard pan or wet just luck of the draw. I’d put it in my top 15-20 courses I’ve played in AZ. If this course was in Scottsdale it’d be the best public course in az.

>

> Played we ko pa saguaro Sunday am. Most people would like the conditions. I thought it was way too soft. Greens were fine. Sand & tees were very good. Pace wasn’t bad at all for Father’s Day. 10 min tee time intervals help. For the level of course we ko pa is I’ve alwsys thought their staff friendliness is ok but not great. 9 is a very underrated hole imho. I haven’t played cholla in a couple of years and just don’t have much desire to. If I want split fairways I’d play AS again.

Vidanta is a Nicklaus course which is quite good for many reasons...it is out east near the Mayan palace...we go down to play the AGA event in March...may go down in Oct too...if you are there, you may want to get in(pretty sure they are going to have the Oct event), it is a very good deal: here is the March details: https://www.azgolf.org/2019-mayan-palace-spring-member-weekend/

> @BUCKEYERBALL88 said:

> Any architecturally interesting courses in rocky point? I’m staying at las Palomas with my cousins in oct.

>

> Played Apache stronghold on Saturday. Very good Doak design. My 2nd time playing it. Conditions are poor but I’m into design and we paid $16 each lol. It’s probably a once a year course for me. Greens were mostly fine. Some fairway lies were hard pan or wet just luck of the draw. I’d put it in my top 15-20 courses I’ve played in AZ. If this course was in Scottsdale it’d be the best public course in az.

>

> Played we ko pa saguaro Sunday am. Most people would like the conditions. I thought it was way too soft. Greens were fine. Sand & tees were very good. Pace wasn’t bad at all for Father’s Day. 10 min tee time intervals help. For the level of course we ko pa is I’ve alwsys thought their staff friendliness is ok but not great. 9 is a very underrated hole imho. I haven’t played cholla in a couple of years and just don’t have much desire to. If I want split fairways I’d play AS again.

Links at Las Palomas isn't bad. Forest Richardson has a great amount of respect for traditional design and it shows. They claim it is a true links course but I wouldn't go that far. Note: I haven't played it in around 10 years so no idea what it is like these days. I do remember it playing pretty short though.