Interesting development - $3000 pay to caddy from a $1.3 million winners check? (MOD EDIT - NO POLIT

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The caddy threads are always fascinating social science studies. The majority of people seem to side with the caddies deserving more money though i've never really seen arguments why other than "the players are rich" or "the pga tour makes so much money". I assume many of your bosses, or executives at the companies you work for are rich. The CEO at your company probably makes exponentially more than you. Why don't they pay you more? The CEO of your company could give you 10,000$ tomorrow and it would be fairly meaningless to him....why doesn't he do it? Do you not work hard? Do you not need 10,000$?

This type of behavior, if presented as a social program....the response tends to be 180 degrees in the other direction. So i find it interesting

I would argue just from an economists perspective, that caddies are possibly a massive market inefficiency. Similar to runningbacks in the NFL a few years back before teams realized you shouldn't draft them high or pay them a lot. Matt Kuchar won a tournament with a 3000$ local caddy, maybe everyone else is crazy for paying them more. Is there a shortage of caddies? If all the players gave them 20% pay reductions would they all quit and find new employment and if so would quality of play suffer? We don't really know because PGA guys pay caddies a "standard" rate that seems to be based more on gentlemanly-ness than real market value. Probably because of the shaming of guys like Tom Gillis and co.

It's their right to pay a caddy more if they want, just like it's their right to pay them less. Pittsburgh had a better rushing attack this year with James Connor than they did with Leveon Bell, The Rams just won yesterday feeding CJ Anderson who they just signed.....and Matt Kuchar won a PGA event with a local 3000$ Caddy. Makes you think....

I don't think anyone has said that caddies are paid too much. Rather, the majority of pro caddies make little money. I just don't see why it is so hard to pay the standard caddie percentages to a caddie. If this was done, it would be a non-issue. I understand that Ortiz didn't communicate much with Kuchar and that Matt got his own yardages, but I hope Ortiz's pay was a lot closer to 10% than $3,000.

As far as CEO vs average worker pay, it's sad that workers are increasingly shut out of the profits they help make. It's not good for business and it's not good for society.

The standard isn't a law though and standards always change, and it shouldn't be an "issue" now IMO. Do you ever use Uber? They sure undercut the standard Taxi rate. So what about Taxi drivers? Those guys are struggling, do we always take Taxis instead to ensure the hard working drivers get paid? Why shouldn't a player be allowed to test the market as long as what he is doing is legal? Companies are always looking for ways to save money. Some of the biggest companies in the world negotiate the best costs on material and pay the smallest surcharges to their contract manufacturers to build. Yes some people don't like that either, but that's usually how the economy works. Even the most idealistic ones when they start tend to end up doing it because they can

If someone on tour decided "screw this, i'm just going to have a standing offer every week: 3000$ for a local caddy to carry my bag and give me some basic tips". I am sure a lot of people would volunteer for that role and why would that make him a bad guy. He's just doing a legal thing that the market allows and to some local caddy....maybe that's a good deal

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The caddy threads are always fascinating social science studies. The majority of people seem to side with the caddies deserving more money though i've never really seen arguments why other than "the players are rich" or "the pga tour makes so much money". I assume many of your bosses, or executives at the companies you work for are rich. The CEO at your company probably makes exponentially more than you. Why don't they pay you more? The CEO of your company could give you 10,000$ tomorrow and it would be fairly meaningless to him....why doesn't he do it? Do you not work hard? Do you not need 10,000$?

This type of behavior, if presented as a social program....the response tends to be 180 degrees in the other direction. So i find it interesting

I would argue just from an economists perspective, that caddies are possibly a massive market inefficiency. Similar to runningbacks in the NFL a few years back before teams realized you shouldn't draft them high or pay them a lot. Matt Kuchar won a tournament with a 3000$ local caddy, maybe everyone else is crazy for paying them more. Is there a shortage of caddies? If all the players gave them 20% pay reductions would they all quit and find new employment and if so would quality of play suffer? We don't really know because PGA guys pay caddies a "standard" rate that seems to be based more on gentlemanly-ness than real market value. Probably because of the shaming of guys like Tom Gillis and co.

It's their right to pay a caddy more if they want, just like it's their right to pay them less. Pittsburgh had a better rushing attack this year with James Connor than they did with Leveon Bell, The Rams just won yesterday feeding CJ Anderson who they just signed.....and Matt Kuchar won a PGA event with a local 3000$ Caddy. Makes you think....

I don't think anyone has said that caddies are paid too much. Rather, the majority of pro caddies make little money. I just don't see why it is so hard to pay the standard caddie percentages to a caddie. If this was done, it would be a non-issue. I understand that Ortiz didn't communicate much with Kuchar and that Matt got his own yardages, but I hope Ortiz's pay was a lot closer to 10% than $3,000.

As far as CEO vs average worker pay, it's sad that workers are increasingly shut out of the profits they help make. It's not good for business and it's not good for society.

The standard isn't a law though and standards always change, and it shouldn't be an "issue" now IMO. Do you ever use Uber? They sure undercut the standard Taxi rate. So what about Taxi drivers? Those guys are struggling, do we always take Taxis instead to ensure the hard working drivers get paid? Why shouldn't a player be allowed to test the market as long as what he is doing is legal? Companies are always looking for ways to save money. Some of the biggest companies in the world negotiate the best costs on material and pay the smallest surcharges to their contract manufacturers to build. Yes some people don't like that either, but that's usually how the economy works. Even the most idealistic ones when they start tend to end up doing it because they can

If someone on tour decided "screw this, i'm just going to have a standing offer every week: 3000$ for a local caddy to carry my bag and give me some basic tips". I am sure a lot of people would volunteer for that role and why would that make him a bad guy. He's just doing a legal thing that the market allows and to some local caddy....maybe that's a good deal

That option has been available since..... forever.

Why haven't all the pros done it? Maybe they value their caddies.

Of course everyday hacks like me (and you?) would line up for a chance to spend 4 (6? Practice rounds?) days walking a Tour-level course with a pro and get $3000 for the fun.

The caddy took the job on a bit of faith - faith that a guy like Kuch wouldn't totally stiff him. Technically, with no agreement, Kuch didn't have to pay him anything I guess.

When it comes to the rest of us and real jobs and pay vs. CEOs... that's a much slower process that ends up in a firm written contract that both sides agree to, so it's not a reasonable comparison.

Why should I care what another person does with his money? Because it's an indication of their character. I think golf is more than a game of skill, it's a test of character - which is why we are traditionally expected to call penalties on ourselves.

When a player does something great, goes out of their way to do something for the community, for some kid in the crowd, a charity, whatever, I respect him for that. When he stiffs an employee or a server or a contractor? I respect him less. But that's just me. Everyone's free to do that or not.

I don’t think anyone has said that caddies are paid too much. Rather, the majority of pro caddies make little money. I just don’t see why it is so hard to pay the standard caddie percentages to a caddie. If this was done, it would be a non-issue. I understand that Ortiz didn’t communicate much with Kuchar and that Matt got his own yardages, but I hope Ortiz’s pay was a lot closer to 10% than $3,000.

As far as CEO vs average worker pay, it’s sad that workers are increasingly shut out of the profits they help make. It’s not good for business and it’s not good for society.

He likely didn’t perform all the duties that a standard caddied does, why he should receive the same pay?

Pittsburgh had a better rushing attack this year with James Connor than they did with Leveon Bell

How so? M

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/11/7/18070980/james-conner-pittsburgh-steelers-leveon-bell

Shortly after this article he injured his ankle and that slowed him down a bit through the end of the season. This was through 10 games

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Some CEO's would argue "I don't have to pay more because it's discretionary", but if a CEO/President came in and had an agreement for just a base salary with a discretionary bonus by the Board of Directors, and the CEO took the Company's revenue/net income up 5x in year one and the BOD told them "no bonus, because we don't have to", the CEO would lose their mind.

He got to loop for a Pro and made a few nice dollars. Maybe Matt could’ve tossed him a few extra I get it but it’s still 3k to have a fun experience. Is what it is. And if he expected something different maybe that was the little conversation he should’ve respectfully had with Matt prior to tee up.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Why’s another’s finances the responsibility of others? I have a few questions for people; Does anyone actually know Matt? Does anyone know the figure that was paid? What difference does Matt being a “potential millionaire” (I say potential because who knows if he made a bad investment or what not and lost everything) have to do with the fact that he should pay more?

I find it quite pathetic the court of public opinion will slander a person before even knowing the facts...and that this even matters to people (I fully realize the irony there). The final round of the first full field event of the season is about to kick off, the Web gets started in the Bahamas today and the LPGA is set to kick of at Four Seasons in Orlando this week (I’ll be there). There’s so much actual golf to watch and talk about but instead we have multiple threads of this.

Amen, BNGL.

Sadly, it’s apparently gospel now when some blowhard on Twitter sends out a tweat . No proof, no names, no proven facts. Just it out there and stir it up.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

That option has been available since..... forever.

Why haven't all the pros done it? Maybe they value their caddies.

Of course everyday hacks like me (and you?) would line up for a chance to spend 4 (6? Practice rounds?) days walking a Tour-level course with a pro and get $3000 for the fun.

The caddy took the job on a bit of faith - faith that a guy like Kuch wouldn't totally stiff him. Technically, with no agreement, Kuch didn't have to pay him anything I guess.

When it comes to the rest of us and real jobs and pay vs. CEOs... that's a much slower process that ends up in a firm written contract that both sides agree to, so it's not a reasonable comparison.

Why should I care what another person does with his money? Because it's an indication of their character. I think golf is more than a game of skill, it's a test of character - which is why we are traditionally expected to call penalties on ourselves.

When a player does something great, goes out of their way to do something for the community, for some kid in the crowd, a charity, whatever, I respect him for that. When he stiffs an employee or a server or a contractor? I respect him less. But that's just me. Everyone's free to do that or not.

First off, thank you for the respectful response

You are possibly correct that guys on tour value their caddies more than i think. Or maybe these guys are their friends and they don't mind throwing some money at them because they make a lot.

My suspicion is that some guys would be worried they would get skewered on social media the way Kuchar is if they did something like that. Look at the responses here. I wonder though if any have considered it, especially the guys who make like 700-800K a year and aren't as rich as Kuch, they could maybe use the extra 25-40K in cash that might generate

I don't really disagree on some of your other points, i don't like guys who "stiff" people, and giving to charity or giving big tips is a nice thing to do and it's perfectly acceptable to respect people who do that more. I just kinda draw the line at skewering someone for not doing these things, again, as long as what they are doing is legal

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Cheap is cheap. This wreaks of cheapness. It's uncomfortable being around excessively cheap people. Agreement or not if he won the big check the caddy should have benefited also. I don't think it's ok to be cheap especially when it influences someone else. Leaving no tip or very small tip for good service in a restaurant or continually returning items you have used for refund just to take advantage of the system really rubs me the wrong way. I think this story has credibility. Not a good look.

One of the guys in my group of friends is married and has plenty of money, no kids. He and his wife both either make at or close to six figures individually. A few guys would get together and he'd be annoyed that food we bought is $3 more than somewhere else.

Cheap people will never give anything away, expect to pay nothing for almost anything, but expect everyone else to give them everything. It's a bizzare expectation that the world to them almost exists to help them accumulate wealth while they can reciprocate nothing. And I am one who appreciates being responsible with money. But cheap is terrible.

All that said, I have no idea how accurate this story with Kuchar is. I don't care for Kuchar anyway.

All I keep coming up with is the only confirmed jerk here, IMO, is Gillis, starting something for no apparent reason other than to try and embarrass Kuchar - I mean, really, is Gillis the voice for the alleged downtrodden? Champion of all the caddies of the world? Attention whore? Twitter addict?

Seems pretty free with someone else's money for someone who didn't win the tournament and wasn't even part of the arrangement. Don't see it as any of the rest of the world's business.

Yep. More I think on it the more I ask ... who ? As in who the blank is Gillis ? And what is his motivation here?

People don't say things like that true or not without an axe to grind. I never heard of the guy. So I don't know why I need to believe him.

https://www.google.c...ire-111597/amp/

Interesting article.

I played 36 holes in an event with Gillis in 2002. The ability of a PGA Tour grinder/ Journeyman compared to a wannabee at the time was pretty eye-opening.

The difference between me as a decent Club Pro at the time and him; was greater than between me and someone who'd never played before.

May have only been a few shots here and there at times; but that chasm is oh so vast.

These guys are really good.

And the difference between a guy with Gillis’ record vs Kuchar ‘s is even greater than that.

Some CEO's would argue "I don't have to pay more because it's discretionary", but if a CEO/President came in and had an agreement for just a base salary with a discretionary bonus by the Board of Directors, and the CEO took the Company's revenue/net income up 5x in year one and the BOD told them "no bonus, because we don't have to", the CEO would lose their mind.

Well, if they increased revenue over such a short time period by doing what so many do, which is cutting costs on long term things like R&D, product development, investment in new buildings or processes etc...I'd probably defend the board LOL

But if the CEO did something very smart and they choose not to give him a bonus, he can leave and be CEO somewhere else, surely he'd get hired the next day if he grew a company 5X in one year!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

All I keep coming up with is the only confirmed jerk here, IMO, is Gillis, starting something for no apparent reason other than to try and embarrass Kuchar - I mean, really, is Gillis the voice for the alleged downtrodden? Champion of all the caddies of the world? Attention whore? Twitter addict?

Based on this post it appears so. Of course no proof provided by the OP.

http://www.golfwrx.c...4#entry18480384

"Gillis started this thing and he's been right when it came to Tour players stiffing others over money before."

Gillis brought to light the putting contest debt that Ben Crane owed Daniel Berger

So Gillis is the PGA Tour tattletale. Isn't that special? It seems Gillis really needs to mind his own business.

Wow. Anyone have a pic of this Gillis ? If I see him coming I want to be sure to walk away quietly.

Someone should start a #gilliswearingawire or something similar.

I wonder if he and Joel Dahmen share a duplex ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The number of people here who know the whole story is less than 1.

Which is also the number of people on Twitter who know the whole story.

I’ll take the under.

Somewhere on this site, there is a half-man who knows the truth!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

How many people here actually know the whole story?

That's irrelevant, what's the number of people who think they know the story and are willing to pick up torches and pitchforks to join the mob?

Pittsburgh had a better rushing attack this year with James Connor than they did with Leveon Bell

How so? M

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/11/7/18070980/james-conner-pittsburgh-steelers-leveon-bell

Shortly after this article he injured his ankle and that slowed him down a bit through the end of the season. This was through 10 games

This article was nothing but a snapshot in time, and just as a regular PGA event is 72 holes, not 18 and not 36, a NFL season is 16 games and James conners has not yet proven that he can play a 16 game season. If you compare his full season, he did not match up to Bell’s season numbers. If you want to say that he played 13 games to Bell’s 15(2017), then look at Bell’s 2016 season, where he played one less game, 12, yet still rushed for more yardage. I’m in Richard’s and his friends’ fantasy league, hahaha. Regarding this story, as has been pointed out, MAYBE two individuals know the whole factual story and I don’t see anything from either one of them clarifying anything. M

How many people here actually know the whole story?

That's irrelevant, what's the number of people who think they know the story and are willing to pick up torches and pitchforks to join the mob?

Are we including the guy who started all this crap, Tom Gillis?

Love all the sanctimonious D-Weeds around here that climb up on their moral high-horses...when they don't know sh** about facts.

Throw some sh** up against the wall...see if it sticks...tell everyone how terrible they are based on no facts and pure speculation.

Keep telling other people how to spend their money. In the meantime...get the facts prior to jumping on that horse.

Matt Kuchar denies rumor he paid local caddie just $3,000 for win

https://golfweek.com/2019/01/13/matt-kuchar-denies-rumor-he-paid-local-caddie-just-3000-for-win/

https://twitter.com/...228672188407808

Why do people always shame rich people for not giving their money away to random people. Rich people get shamed for not throwing $100 bills at random valets who park their cars and waitresses who bring them drinks. Kuchar gets shamed for not giving a guy who carried his bag for 4 days $130K?

Like most people, I respect people who give money to charity. That's great. And a lot of rich people probably take care of a lot of people who they encounter and work with.

But I just don't get this idea that anyone who a rich person comes into contact with is entitled to a cut. Whatever is the going rate, it's fair to me. Maybe $3K seems a little low to me, but I'm not going to judge that.

This isn't Kuchar meeting a random valet. It was his caddie for the week who presumably helped him along the way and spent 30-35 hours with him.

For which they likely agreed on what he would get paid for the week, he wasn't a volunteer, lol, or at least we don't think that's how it started and likely did not.

And you still don't know what he paid him.

Per the caddie himself, his pay was not discussed until after the tournament was over

Maybe you would have paid more, maybe I would have, we don't KNOW and easy to armchair it.

Two questions:

1. What was the agreed amount?

2. What did the caddy get paid?

Can't answer those, the discussion (in terms of the accusations) is pointless and unfair.

And I repeat, because as far as I can tell nobody, not even the rumor mongerer on Twitter, has provided the answer to these two basic questions.

Without knowing all of the facts (or any of them), I definitely find it hard to judge how one man spends his money or pays his caddie.

Agree 100%. If that wage was agreed to why should a multi millionaire have to pay more?

"Have to" is not the argument. A multimillionaire should "want" to.

Isn’t that liberal of you

Btw Kip Henley really skated away scot free on this one for his "insensitive" transgender remarks! He really owes Tom Gillis a drink

Note to Kip, if you have a drink with Gillis, might want to check him for bugs, and make sure you buy him an expensive drink

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Love all the sanctimonious D-Weeds around here that climb up on their moral high-horses...when they don't know sh** about facts.

Throw some sh** up against the wall...see if it sticks...tell everyone how terrible they are based on no facts and pure speculation.

Keep telling other people how to spend their money. In the meantime...get the facts prior to jumping on that horse.

https://golfweek.com/2019/01/13/matt-kuchar-denies-rumor-he-paid-local-caddie-just-3000-for-win/

Yep, more people should have a problem with what Tom Gillis did than what Matt Kuchar may or may not have done.