2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

El Tucan Speaks..... (NO POLITICS)

Kuch is gonna feel so bad when he gets on here and reads all this stuff being said about him by the top minds of the internet.

Not to mention all the marketing majors who are certain this will cost him endorsement money!! Im sure hes lying down in his massive mansion tossing and turning and thinking about all that sweet skechers money disappearing... ;)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember when Kuchar gave $25k to charity after he missed a 1/2 court shot.

Even then he took stick for only giving $25k. Maybe that's when he decided to go full on Costanza.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Cheap is cheap. Doesn’t matter who the player is.

Replace Kuchar with Ian Poulter/Patrick Reed/your favourite golfing villain. I suspect some might change their opinion of what took place.

TaylorMade Qi10 Designer Series (Black Out) 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX

Cheap is cheap. Doesn't matter who the player is.

Replace Kuchar with Ian Poulter/Patrick Reed/your favourite golfing villain. I suspect some might change their opinion of what took place.

Really? I don't think it's Kuchar fans saying people should pump the breaks here, just normal folks who don't jump of the deep end and call a cheapskate vile and repugnant for not giving someone enough of that person's money as a bonus, over the agreed upon fee.

seems a number of people didn't like him to begin with.

the lesson here is be like Phil and sprinkle around the $50s and $100s, then it's ok to be a 'phony'.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

It's funny seeing people say things like "wow, $5,000 for one weekend of work, why is he bitching?"

Probably because that one weekend of work was worth far more than $5,000.

And anybody who says that they would just shut up and take the 5k is a damn liar. They would b**** too, and they'd have every right.

Matt has every right to be cheap, but stiffing someone like that is pretty unconscionable, especially considering that he is a pro golfer and he knows how the player/caddy situation works.

Really says a lot about the guy, i always liked rooting for him. Oh well.

It's funny seeing people say things like "wow, $5,000 for one weekend of work, why is he bitching?"

Probably because that one weekend of work was worth far more than $5,000.

And anybody who says that they would just shut up and take the 5k is a damn liar. They would b**** too, and they'd have every right.

Matt has every right to be cheap, but stiffing someone like that is pretty unconscionable, especially considering that he is a pro golfer and he knows how the player/caddy situation works.

Really says a lot about the guy, i always liked rooting for him. Oh well.

yep. You hit the nail. Whether it's $5k or $50k or even $70k, if caddy felt he was underpaid, that's totally within his right to b**** about.

Kuch also felt he paid more than enough. That's fine too.

But, I feel Kuch should have paid a bit more than $2k, and after all the fuss, he offers ONLY $15k? Come'on man!

I hope Kuchar will think like this after 6-12 months. He sees how his value in the commercial market went down, got bad reps online, heard few boos and "CHEAP" from the crowds.. he thinks. "If I could only spend $$$ to turn this all around and still keep my pretty good PR value and crowd pimping.. how much would it be?"

I bet he would definitely spend MINIMUM $100k. He could've spent less than half of it before all this began and everything would've been cool for both sides.

Beans are spilled and it will be very expensive, if it's possible, to clean up.

Sorry Matt,

I've seen a lot of comments about Kuchar losing market value over this, does anyone know for sure that he's lost a sponsor(s) over this? Generally the reactions on here seem mixed and I'd guess majority of causal fans have no idea this is even a thing so I can't see his market value really taking that big of a hit, especially if he continues to win.

I've seen a lot of comments about Kuchar losing market value over this, does anyone know for sure that he's lost a sponsor(s) over this? Generally the reactions on here seem mixed and I'd guess majority of causal fans have no idea this is even a thing so I can't see his market value really taking that big of a hit, especially is he continues to win.

The Golf Channel covered it tonight.

When things like this happen I like to think, "what would I have done had I been in his (in this case Kuchar's) shoes (Skechers..lol ?)?

I don't think this is a hard one. I'll agree it's not about entitlement or even fairness (life sure ain't fair), but it can be about simply being a "good guy."

Unless I'm missing a big part of the story, Matt had the opportunity to be a good guy. Instead he made the opposite choice.

I likely would not have given Toucan the full 10% customary for a player's regular caddie who's been with him through both the highs and the lows, but I sure as well would have given him half that, and it would have made me feel good to do it.

I've been going to the Dominican every year for the past 20. We take caddies and the customary tip is now $20 per bag (they also get a piece of the greens fee). We give $25.

Anyway, a few years ago I won an invitational down there that netted me about $3500. Giving my caddie $350 of it felt as good or better than winning. It's not that hard to be nice and do the right thing...

Stop using logic Dewey!

I've read most of the previous posts and this is just my opinion.....but i think caddies are probably overpaid in general based on results like this, and in this case we are crying over a guy who made 5K for walking and carrying a bag for 4 days for a person he just met.

The median income in the United States in 2018 was 62K, so this caddy (whom i presume we will be having a telethon for soon) made more per hour than the median american, working for an employer he didn't even know and who hired him for the weekend.

If Kuchar had offered any local caddy the job for 5K regardless of outcome they all would have said yes and everyone knows it. I don't see this as anything more than the very 2019 hating-on-the-wealthy for not standing on top of buildings and throwing dollar bills down to the masses.

posting for a friend

But that's not how it works.....total purse of what 6-7 mil and you win for the 1st time in 4yrs and you can't share the wealth with someone who helped in some capacity? "This was my good luck charm" per the cheapskate.....well act like! I've never won a Million....duh.....but I do tip appropriately for services rendered.....in this line of work , a win nets the immediate help 10%.....just do the right thing and pay Ortiz....let's stop pretending it's anything more than that.....a special moment for both that has soured over the usual suspect....MONEY! Cheepy has plenty and can spare 50k or thereabouts....

For those on here that play poker, after a cash out do you give 10% to the dealer? Of course you do without a blink....nothing different here even if the agreement was for 3k for the week.....a very,very bad look to win 1.3 mil and try to hold on to the premise of a pre-tournament verbal agreement

MONEY.....love of it is the root of all evil!

I've read most of the previous posts and this is just my opinion.....but i think caddies are probably overpaid in general based on results like this, and in this case we are crying over a guy who made 5K for walking and carrying a bag for 4 days for a person he just met.

The median income in the United States in 2018 was 62K, so this caddy (whom i presume we will be having a telethon for soon) made more per hour than the median american, working for an employer he didn't even know and who hired him for the weekend.

If Kuchar had offered any local caddy the job for 5K regardless of outcome they all would have said yes and everyone knows it. I don't see this as anything more than the very 2019 hating-on-the-wealthy for not standing on top of buildings and throwing dollar bills down to the masses.

posting for a friend

But that's not how it works.....total purse of what 6-7 mil and you win for the 1st time in 4yrs and you can't share the wealth with someone who helped in some capacity? "This was my good luck charm" per the cheapskate.....well act like! I've never won a Million....duh.....but I do tip appropriately for services rendered.....in this line of work , a win nets the immediate help 10%.....just do the right thing and pay Ortiz....let's stop pretending it's anything more than that.....a special moment for both that has soured over the usual suspect....MONEY! Cheepy has plenty and can spare 50k or thereabouts....

For those on here that play poker, after a cash out do you give 10% to the dealer? Of course you do without a blink....nothing different here even if the agreement was for 3k for the week.....a very,very bad look to win 1.3 mil and try to hold on to the premise of a pre-tournament verbal agreement

MONEY.....love of it is the root of all evil!

Personally, I find the 3K agreement nauseating. This is a PGA event.

If Kuchar usually gives 10% to his caddie and instead gives less than 1%, he's essentially turned his winning cheque from a mid-range winning prize to a higher end prize (100k extra in the bag turns Mayakoba prize into something like Wells Fargo). He is entitled to it if he agreed it before the tournament but we are entitled to think that he's cheap and it is poor form. Especially given Kuchar's career earnings. He could have made that man's life for limited extra reward.

Pulling away from the Kucheapo story for a second, this thread discussion links to something we discussed on here a few years ago. Though it was triggered by the TW tree/car/7i story. Last ref to TW - promise.

People like to think that successful athletes are nice people, this includes me, I've done it too. We admire their skill, their athletic prowess or their technique, we look up to them and since we want to be as talented or successful as they are, we gravitate to liking them or emulating them.

This is a rock solid recipe for disappointment. Top athletes aren't all nice men/women doing the right thing and living the values. Within that group of top athletes you have your usual percentage of a** hats. It stands to reason, since there's zero connection say between the score you shoot on the front 9 and how much you tipped your waiter the previous evening, or how much you donated to charity the previous year.

Now, this is where it gets more complex. These athletes work or operate in an environment that is commercially driven on marketing and advertisement. So it actually pays to have the appearance of nice. Bringing it back to the tour, there are some guys who by their very nature are nice guys, then there are some others who just aren't. I've met quite a few of the category Bs but I won't name them since that might cause offence. I think it shocks and upsets some people when they realise that someone they admired because of their skill turns out to be a less than great person. But it does happen and will likely continue to. What we see on TV or social media or online is rarely the full story or a persons character, so we shouldn't be surprised when someone turns out to be less than perfect, and then tries to bury the story or the coverage.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

this is sure to harm Matt Kuchar's reputation in the future..

he better make sure he has a regular caddy ALL the time from now on because no one will ever fill-in as a caddie for him if ever he needs one in the future without a written guarantee on the weekly minimum PLUS a % bonus of the winnings depending on the position..

I cannot imagine what he was thinking paying his caddie only $5K when he won almost $1.3M....unless his wife made him do it!!

None of us know exactly what the deal was. None of us know how helpful the caddy actually was. I've read the guy doesn't know English all that well. How do we know he wasn't just carrying the bag for the week and cleaning the sticks?

I've always seen Kuchar as a stand-up guy. He's pleasant. He doesn't have an attitude like Bubba, Rahm or some other guys out there. He's always smiling. He's a great guy out on tour from my point of view and I think he'll continue with that persona. And I'll continue to root for him.

Could he have done things differently? Of course. And he'll probably be bullied with all this bad press and end up paying the $50k. But as I said, we weren't there. We don't know the deal. There is always two sides to the story.

And I guarantee you that he'd have a fill in caddie much faster than a tour player is going to pick up this guy and risk this type of nonsense when they have an agreement... And then one side "views it differently" and takes it out into the media like he did today.

The caddie, as I understand it, was recommended to Kuch by the tournament director. I assume based on his knowledge of the course and his experience as a caddie in previous PGA tour events.

The caddie says Kuch told him he would pay 3k plus a percentage of the winnings.

5k is equal to $375 for every $100,000 that kooch won.

Break it down like this,

If you won $10,000 in a tournament, would you give you caddie $37 and fifty cents?

No. But $37 is nothing.... $5k is not nothing.... No matter what Kuchar won. That's money that a lot of people would be unbelievably grateful for.

What if he missed the cut and won $0... Would the caddy have said keep the $3k? Doubtful....

And again it comes down to "he said, she said" and given Matt's past of being a pretty stand up guy from everything I've seen and heard.... I do tend to lean his way.

You really don't get it do you? It is not "He said, She said"...... Kuchar paid him $5,000.....

This forum non-stop goes on about rules & etiquette and how this is a "Gentleman's game" steeped in history with many unwritten rules and proper sportsmanship and a game of honour.

The expected pay for a caddy is 10% of the winnings and yes Tucan hit the lottery on Kuch's bag and he won. Kuch paid him .38% and when called on it gave his "aw shucks" grin and sloughed it off.

End of story

Cheap is cheap. Doesn't matter who the player is.

Really? I don't think it's Kuchar fans saying people should pump the breaks here, just normal folks who don't jump of the deep end and call a cheapskate vile and repugnant for not giving someone enough of that person's money as a bonus, over the agreed upon fee.

seems a number of people didn't like him to begin with.

the lesson here is be like Phil and sprinkle around the $50s and $100s, then it's ok to be a 'phony'.

Straw man much? So it’s either Kuchar is right or he’s vile and repugnant?

Or maybe, like most things in life the truth is somewhere in between. I don’t think Kuchar is vile or repugnant. He seems a nice dude to be honest. But that’s a cheap act. And I don’t see how anyone could say otherwise really.

TaylorMade Qi10 Designer Series (Black Out) 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX

This will be like 97% of all lawsuits in US.

Both parties think they have a legit case.

Both drag on with lawyers having fun.

And they will settle.

Probably Kuch takes more hit because he's a public figure.

I dont see this different than a celebrity or NBA athlete going cheap on tips. It's a TMZ material and we just think of the guy as a cheap and move on.

I blame the guy who spilled the bean on twitter. He's the worst of this all.

Sure blame the guy for exposing a gross injustice from a cheapskate..... Wow....

Let's pretend your son (or daughter) is the caddie for a big dollar game at an exclusive club and the calcutta is now $25,000 to the winning players and you (and caddie) know the norm is 10% paid to the caddies and this has been the tradition going way back.... Your son/daughter knows that too and is thinking he/she is about to get $2,500 on top of his rate as a caddie. He/she comes home and tells you he got a $40 TIP...... Sure you'd be thrilled for him/her and explain that next time get it in writing.

Kuchar is golf's Eddie Haskell.

Then who is golf's Beaver, Rory?

Man, I really could have taken that question in a different direction.

I don't see Beaver plowing some chick on a coffee table days before his wedding.

You are already in the internet, a few more clicks and you can see that.

Pulling away from the Kucheapo story for a second, this thread discussion links to something we discussed on here a few years ago. Though it was triggered by the TW tree/car/7i story. Last ref to TW - promise.

People like to think that successful athletes are nice people, this includes me, I've done it too. We admire their skill, their athletic prowess or their technique, we look up to them and since we want to be as talented or successful as they are, we gravitate to liking them or emulating them.

This is a rock solid recipe for disappointment. Top athletes aren't all nice men/women doing the right thing and living the values. Within that group of top athletes you have your usual percentage of a** hats. It stands to reason, since there's zero connection say between the score you shoot on the front 9 and how much you tipped your waiter the previous evening, or how much you donated to charity the previous year.

Now, this is where it gets more complex. These athletes work or operate in an environment that is commercially driven on marketing and advertisement. So it actually pays to have the appearance of nice. Bringing it back to the tour, there are some guys who by their very nature are nice guys, then there are some others who just aren't. I've met quite a few of the category Bs but I won't name them since that might cause offence. I think it shocks and upsets some people when they realise that someone they admired because of their skill turns out to be a less than great person. But it does happen and will likely continue to. What we see on TV or social media or online is rarely the full story or a persons character, so we shouldn't be surprised when someone turns out to be less than perfect, and then tries to bury the story or the coverage.

So true! Add that Kuch has tha aw' shucks "permanent smile face" (opposite of "resting b!tch face"...lol...learned that one from my daughters ?) and folks make all sorts of positive judgements and assumptions about his true character without truly knowing anything about the guy

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Kuchar is golf's Eddie Haskell.

Then who is golf's Beaver, Rory?

Man, I really could have taken that question in a different direction.

Was threatened, along with the entire membership, for posting my/our Suzanne Petterssen pics (and our others) not so long ago, so I can't provide the tasteful and wondrous answer I would have provided then, lol.

Having more trouble coming up with who lives at Rancho Rutherford, lol - still the funniest mailbox on old TV.

So true! Add that Kuch has tha aw' shucks "permanent smile face" (opposite of "resting b!tch face"...lol...learned that one from my daughters ) and folks make all sorts of positive judgements and assumptions about his true character without truly knowing anything about the guy

Phil has always had that smile and his thumbs up. Always killed me how many folks just base their opinions on that over the years, but they are "personalities" - I always thought Kate Jackson was "it" going back to "The Rookies" - who knows, she probably stir fried puppies. Funny that great looking women with smiles - A+. Guys - phony, lol.

So true! Add that Kuch has tha aw' shucks "permanent smile face" (opposite of "resting b!tch face"...lol...learned that one from my daughters ��) and folks make all sorts of positive judgements and assumptions about his true character without truly knowing anything about the guy

Phil has always had that smile and his thumbs up. Always killed me how many folks just base their opinions on that over the years, but they are "personalities" - I always thought Kate Jackson was "it" going back to "The Rookies" - who knows, she probably stir fried puppies. Funny that great looking women with smiles - A+. Guys - phony, lol.

You mean Phil's goofy grin and "I need to extend at least one of my body parts" to keep up appearances. or so I was told by my PR team.

Kate Jackson - Thumbs Up.

So true! Add that Kuch has tha aw' shucks "permanent smile face" (opposite of "resting b!tch face"...lol...learned that one from my daughters ��) and folks make all sorts of positive judgements and assumptions about his true character without truly knowing anything about the guy

Couple things I can say about Phil is about 7 years ago he acknowledged and fist bumped my daughter (was 12 at the time) twice during a round at the Barclays even though he was playing poorly (shot 74). At several events I've been to he's also been the VERY last player still out there signing autographs well after dark and hours after the completion of his round. I know for certain he also had a lot of time for the Jersey Troopers who provided security at Batusrol for the PGA...other notable players, not so cordial.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Couple things I can say about Phil is about 7 years ago he acknowledged and fist bumped my daughter (was 12 at the time) twice during a round at the Barclays even though he was playing poorly (shot 74). At several events I've been to he's also been the VERY last player still out there signing autographs well after dark and hours after the completion of his round. I know for certain he also had a lot of time for the Jersey Troopers who provided security at Batusrol for the PGA...other notable players, not so cordial.

More on Phil: I personally know a guy that worked on a business project with Phil ~8 years ago over the course of several months. This guy is a nobody and he said Phil was fantastic, down to earth, funny and fun to work with.

As I said yesterday, if El Tucan was Phil's caddie instead, Phil could have bought the guy a new house, new car and put the guys kids through college and some people here would still be saying, "Phil is so phony."