El Tucan Speaks..... (NO POLITICS)

Bottom line.

A lot of people think kooch is a piece of crap for giving a guy a 2k bonus on a 1.3MM payday. If the reporting is correct, of course.

Per Tucan, Kuch said he would give him 3k and a percentage of the winnings.

Right?

"A percentage"

3 months ago when this story broke Tucan said they didn't discuss what his pay would be. Now all of a sudden he's getting a percentage. Why would he make that up? I can think of 50,000 reasons why.

11. Asked if he made more money than Favela last week, Ortiz said, “I hope so!” He had not yet received or discussed his pay with Kuchar.

https://www.golf.com...-know-el-tucan/

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I see coming out of this is a standard “one time” caddie contract where you fill in the blank for the weekly fee, or you can step out of the way for the guy behind you. You sign the contract or you go back to the resort and work for their fixed fee or whatever arrangement you worked out with your regular employer.

This is the reason we have contracts. So the guy finishing your basement doesn’t walk in at the end and say “ you owe me another $87,000.”

Every other caddie at that resort, or any other resort, that fills in from here on out will now get some paper to sign at the start of the week. No sign? No carry bag. Expect some Steinberg-quality legalese in the confidentiality section of that contract.

From now on it will be “show up, keep up, and shut up” because it says right here in your contract that you are now obligated to do all three and if you don’t, please check with my agent/attorney about that paycheck”.

Bottom line.

A lot of people think kooch is a piece of crap for giving a guy a 2k bonus on a 1.3MM payday. If the reporting is correct, of course.

Right?

"A percentage"

One percent would have been 13,000

If Kooch gave him

.15%

Then, yes, thats right

Its about 1/6 of one percent.

Piece of crap for being cheap is a little extreme. Is Kuch a little cheap? Maybe but none of us were there and maybe all the guy did was carry. Maybe he wasn't very good either and those nice comments from Kuch were to be nice. Seems both of them were wrong in not setting pay expectations up front as they are miles apart. Wrong on ElTucan for even thinking he'd have a sniff at 100K as he didn't do the job a regular caddie would do. $50K would have been super generous on Matt's part, but again maybe he's cheap or maybe Tucan isn't that good or didn't provide much value. Now we have reports of Tucan getting fired the week before? Maybe something is up with that guy.

I have trouble accepting the fact that a man in El Tucan's financial state would turn down $15k. Hell, that's substantial money in MANY people's situations. This all smells funny.

Exactly...

Interesting... maybe AMI is involved. Time to get the Feds on thisTucan fella, make him sing like a bird. Bring plaid-shorts coffee shop guy in too.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Please read the post I was responding to.

I'll highlight and put it in really big font, so you don't have to strain your limited reading comprehension skills. Rest of your life is a long time.

Look if you want to take that completely literally, then of course I can't prove he'll be verbally heckled at every tournament for the rest of his life.

But you don't think people will remember? You don't think there will be many people who think of Kuchar in a negative way for a long time over this? You don't think people still hold Tiger's actions against him?

My point was not so much about literal heckling as it is the fact that fans and sponsors won't forget and it will end up costing Kuchar a lot more than $50k. How the negativity toward him will manifest exactly is obviously a mystery at this point. He's already had a reputation significantly damaged on the Internet. That's not going to just fade away. There are many people who loathe bad tippers, let alone a terrible tipping moment like this.

Just look at anytime money comes up people mention how Tiger, MJ, etc. are known as being bad tippers. But even those guys didn't go to this magnitude of bad tipping. Not even close.

So many athletes do things so much worse than this and still get their endorsements. This is a story to so few people.

It's a different market.

I watch NFL and NBA videos and see ads for chips, pizza and Chevy. When I watch golf and formula 1 videos and see ads or Louis Vuitton, Porsche, and Vuarnet

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

When things like this happen I like to think, "what would I have done had I been in his (in this case Kuchar's) shoes (Skechers..lol )?

I don't think this is a hard one. I'll agree it's not about entitlement or even fairness (life sure ain't fair), but it can be about simply being a "good guy."

Unless I'm missing a big part of the story, Matt had the opportunity to be a good guy. Instead he made the opposite choice.

I likely would not have given Toucan the full 10% customary for a player's regular caddie who's been with him through both the highs and the lows, but I sure as well would have given him half that, and it would have made me feel good to do it.

I've been going to the Dominican every year for the past 20. We take caddies and the customary tip is now $20 per bag (they also get a piece of the greens fee). We give $25.

Anyway, a few years ago I won an invitational down there that netted me about $3500. Giving my caddie $350 of it felt as good or better than winning. It's not that hard to be nice and do the right thing...

People have made the point that 10% to the regular caddie is in large part for all those missed cuts, etc., not just the work that particular week. So I'd like to have given 5% of my winnings to El Tucan and 5% to my regular caddie.

Thinking back to the original posts and everyone claiming that no one knew what was paid...... Now we know.

Funny how anyone with any sense pretty much knew the story & were comfortable that the $5,000 amount was probably right.

Matt stood by his guns with his flippant response. Very easily could have made it right and turned into a positive, instead of a PR nightmare.

He stood by his guns and frankly expect it to cost him.

Yep, everyone (and every company) makes mistakes. It's often how you deal with the mistakes and whether you double down or make it right that defines you.

Bottom line.

Right?

"A percentage"

One percent would have been 13,000

If Kooch gave him

.15%

Then, yes, thats right

Its about 1/6 of one percent.

I bet Kuchar wouldn't stiff Stewie on a tip.

Man I knew Kuch was a fake POS. And I am not shocked at the cheapos on this forum trying to justify what Kuch did to this guy/blaming the caddie for trying to stick up for himself. We all have seen plenty of cheapos at the club/course and now they are here lol.

Complete agreement here.

Yep, those creepy dudes on the course that flirt with the snack cart girl then tip less than 20. She probably deserves 100 just for allowing you to speak to her.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

Kuchar 100% took advantage of the situation. It was his first win in 4 years with a fill in caddie and he probably thought he could offer way less than usual and keep most of his earnings. Even with the extra $15,000 being offered, it's a very bad look on Kuchars part. He could have been a hero in this situation. Get the win, help a local and his family out and set them up nicely for the future. As a touring pro, he should know better than anyone else that caddying at local courses isn't the most glamorous or most well paid jobs out there. No matter what was "agreed" upon beforehand, Kuchar should have ponied up.

And bravo for the caddy for turning down the extra $15,000. The guy is sticking to his principles and you have to admire him for that. Anyone who has ever thought they should deserve something should never settle for less.

ah, sticking to principles ... this is the 21st century ... antiquted notions you have ... seems to be lost on many here ...

I haven’t read any of the prior posts and I’m just stating my opinion, as I could care less what someone else thinks of it and it is this-

I ALWAYS paid my caddie, regular or not(I had a regular caddie for the money games and tourneys 80% of the time), 10% of my winnings for the day on top of his $75 bag fee, with the least he would get being $100, win lose or draw~

Off the top of my head and Maddie can correct me if I’ve left one out but my three biggest days were $2150, $1600 & 1300, so that was $215, $160 & $130 to my Man + his $75.

So I think that ya know what I’d do if I was Playin for real money & won, lolol

Kuchar is a JERK-OFF!!

End of discussion...

Remember one thing Gents~

You lead from the front!!

Oh yea, one more thing-

Sheep don’t lead?

$5,000???

He should be embarrassed??

As always, just my .03 worth?

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Speaking of Apple and Kuch:

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I hope you're proud of your son, Pete.

I knew I wouldn't like Kuuuuch right when I saw his s-eating grin and his dad jumping all up and down on the greens at Augusta. This incident just solidifies my impression of Matt "boxing gloves" Kuchar.

Speaking of Apple and Kuch:

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I hope you're proud of your son, Pete.

I knew I wouldn't like Kuuuuch right when I saw his s-eating grin and his dad jumping all up and down on the greens at Augusta. This incident just solidifies my impression of Matt "boxing gloves" Kuchar.

Formed that opinion watching a 19 year old college sophomore having an incredible experience at one of the greatest tournaments in golf? Someone you knew not at all, no personal interaction whatsoever.

Nice work.

People who are so invested in this to call other people names are sad.

Agreed

Though to be fair, I did talk of pre-meditated murder a few pages ago.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I never liked Matt Kuchar and these acts certainly don't make me want to change my mind. I don't like his swing, clothing, shoes, fake cursing, facial expressions, general demeanor, or the way he holds his dip in his mouth. His hairline is shaped like a toilet seat for a reason.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

I didn't read all the previous posts but I already have my own opinion on this after I read the caddie's account..

notwithstanding any previous arrangement the minimum I would have paid my caddie in this case would have been $50,000.

and..no ifs and buts about it Matt Kuchar is a CHEAPSKATE to the Nth degree!!!

and I respect the caddie even more for refusing to accept the additional $15K...it's called pride and dignity folks..

more poor people have it than the rich ones....

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60