2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

El Tucan Speaks..... (NO POLITICS)

ElTucan sounds like a self-entitled jerk. He and some others are pretty much clueless as to the additional duties of the tour caddie. Guy does a fraction of the job for a week and wants full pay... Total BS. I'm also going to bet the El Tucan pretty much cost himself future earnings with the pros.

I'll make this offer, If Kuch or any other pro want to pay me $5k to caddie for them for the week I'll gladly take the week off and sling their bag around.

eeeh he actually says he doesn't expect full pay he said 50 k which is way less then the full time caddie 10 percent. Did you even read the article before making your statements

I read the article--- did you not read this? Ortiz said that Kuchar said at the start of the tournament that he would be paid $3,000 for the week, plus an unspecified percentage of his winnings.

On that basis, in the euphoria of victory, Ortiz had hoped to make as much as $130,000. When Kuchar left Mexico, the caddie said, he was under the impression that he would still receive a bonus.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kuchar should cut a check for $50,000 and make a public apology now. It could save some face for him. However deserved or not, he'll be heckled for this for the rest of his life and it will affect how endorsers approach him and his value to them.

Not much a follower of golf, are you? FYI--- Kuch just played the WM, a tournament where hecklers wouldn't hold back, and yet no heckling. In fact the fans just loved him as usual.

Indeed. Remember all those people coming down 18 at the Tour Championship last year calling Tiger a philandering, pill-popping, dbag! That was quite a scene...

... that never happened and never would.

Yea this story is a huge deal....on the internet.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

Kuchar should cut a check for $50,000 and make a public apology now. It could save some face for him. However deserved or not, he'll be heckled for this for the rest of his life and it will affect how endorsers approach him and his value to them.

Not much a follower of golf, are you? FYI--- Kuch just played the WM, a tournament where hecklers wouldn't hold back, and yet no heckling. In fact the fans just loved him as usual.

Indeed. Remember all those people coming down 18 at the Tour Championship last year calling Tiger a philandering, pill-popping, dbag! That was quite a scene...

It didn't cost Tiger money (and his reputation)????? You gotta be kidding me.

https://www.thoughtco.com/tiger-woods-dropped-sponsors-1566402

Another brilliant observation......

When things like this happen I like to think, "what would I have done had I been in his (in this case Kuchar's) shoes (Skechers..lol ?)?

I don't think this is a hard one. I'll agree it's not about entitlement or even fairness (life sure ain't fair), but it can be about simply being a "good guy."

Unless I'm missing a big part of the story, Matt had the opportunity to be a good guy. Instead he made the opposite choice.

I likely would not have given Toucan the full 10% customary for a player's regular caddie who's been with him through both the highs and the lows, but I sure as well would have given him half that, and it would have made me feel good to do it.

I've been going to the Dominican every year for the past 20. We take caddies and the customary tip is now $20 per bag (they also get a piece of the greens fee). We give $25.

Anyway, a few years ago I won an invitational down there that netted me about $3500. Giving my caddie $350 of it felt as good or better than winning. It's not that hard to be nice and do the right thing...

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

dont know if this has been posted on here but here's an article outlining "Standard" caddie fees on the tour - https://www.forbes.c...7/#4331eaee10dd

note that full time caddies get approx $1500-$2500 regardless of where the player finishes to offset costs since full time caddies are responsible for travel, accomodations, healthcare, etc etc. as a local caddie, clearly el tucan didnt have the same costs as a regular caddie.

also note that el tucan would have made approx $1200 that week if he just had been working - https://www.golfchan...nyones-business

as these articles show, $3000 is a pretty hefty sum for a caddie, especially if that caddie is a local with no extra costs and the fee is guarenteed even if kuchar had missed the cut. i think its outrageous that he would think he would be paid out the standard 10% a touring caddie would make since a) he's not providing the same services (yes he is giving yardages and reads but he doesn;t know kuch's game inside and out and therefore can't give recommendations on hitting a 5 yard cut or 15 yard strong draw etc) and hes a local caddie that doesn't endure the extra costs that touring caddies deal with on a week to week basis. it's basically expecting $$$ during the good times when you didn't have to endure the bad times. doesn;t work that way.

that being said, i also believe a $2K bonus is a bit light. i think the $15K was a much more appropriate tip, albeit it was offered later. poor choice on him not to take the $15K. shaming kuch publicly is probably not going to result in more $$$ in his hand so he should have taken what he could get. $15K is still $15K.

all in all, everyone looks like an a-hole here. kuch's rep looks bad and this dude is definitely never getting a loop again on the tour.

https://www.thoughtc...ponsors-1566402

Please read the posts I was responding to.

I'll highlight and put it in really big font, so you don't have to strain your limited reading comprehension skills. Rest of your life is a long time.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Except that he won't (unless someone puts a WRX group together to do so). They proved that in Phoenix. The majority of people liked him before this, and this isn't going to change that.

50k??? You could have the caddy disappeared for less than that. And then this story goes away

Of course than people would be like "the hired assassin business is a tough job , Kuch really should've paid more"

Not even funny to joke about that, to be honest. And it wouldn't make the story go away.

So you must have been right next to Kuch the entire time in order to know what was said the entire tournament? Are you his actual full time caddie?

And now the story is in mainstream media. But I guess we shouldn't expect that to make a difference.

I'm not saying he'll be brutally heckled everywhere he goes. My point was people won't forget this. And long term the negativity from it is a lot more costly than ~$50k. You don't think Kuch would like to go back in time and pay the guy more and avoid this story? He'd have to be insane not to.

And yeah I've only been following golf avidly and watching 10-20 tournaments a year for like 21 years. Why make a stupid comment like that? We all follow golf here.

Well I judged you by your sentence. Saying "he'll be heckled for this for the rest of his life and it will affect how endorsers approach him and his value to them" is a little over the top dramatic. He was loved by the fans at WM and he played great. I doubt he loses any endorsements--- heck even as egregious as Tiger actions, he still had some sponsors stand by him. This doesn't even move the needle for negative publicity.

Please read the post I was responding to.

I'll highlight and put it in really big font, so you don't have to strain your limited reading comprehension skills. Rest of your life is a long time.

Look if you want to take that completely literally, then of course I can't prove he'll be verbally heckled at every tournament for the rest of his life.

But you don't think people will remember? You don't think there will be many people who think of Kuchar in a negative way for a long time over this? You don't think people still hold Tiger's actions against him?

My point was not so much about literal heckling as it is the fact that fans and sponsors won't forget and it will end up costing Kuchar a lot more than $50k. How the negativity toward him will manifest exactly is obviously a mystery at this point. He's already had a reputation significantly damaged on the Internet. That's not going to just fade away. There are many people who loathe bad tippers, let alone a terrible tipping moment like this.

Just look at anytime money comes up people mention how Tiger, MJ, etc. are known as being bad tippers. But even those guys didn't go to this magnitude of bad tipping. Not even close.

Please read the post I was responding to.

Look if you want to take that completely literally, then of course I can't prove he'll be verbally heckled at every tournament for the rest of his life.

But you don't think people will remember? You don't think there will be many people who think of Kuchar in a negative way for a long time over this? You don't think people still hold Tiger's actions against him?

My point was not so much about literal heckling as it is the fact that fans and sponsors won't forget and it will end up costing Kuchar a lot more than $50k. How the negativity toward him will manifest exactly is obviously a mystery at this point. He's already had a reputation significantly damaged on the Internet. That's not going to just fade away. There are many people who loathe bad tippers, let alone a terrible tipping moment like this.

Just look at anytime money comes up people mention how Tiger, MJ, etc. are known as being bad tippers. But even those guys didn't go to this magnitude of bad tipping. Not even close.

So many athletes do things so much worse than this and still get their endorsements. This is a story to so few people.

Kuchar should just lean in to the Bad Boy persona- Show up at Mayakoba this year, and carry his own bag. Then at the presser, make a big production out of giving his caddy a 500K bonus.

D - Ping G430 LST 9-degree, Kai'li 60S
3W - Ping G400 Stretch 13-degree, Alta 65S

5W - Ping G425 17.5-degree, Alta 65S
Hy - Ping G400 22-degree, Alta 70S
5-U - Ping i230, Aerotech Steelfiber i95
54- Ping Glide Pro Forged
59- Ping Glide Pro Forged Eye toe
P - Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Fastback 1.5

So you must have been right next to Kuch the entire time in order to know what was said the entire tournament? Are you his actual full time caddie?

And now the story is in mainstream media. But I guess we shouldn't expect that to make a difference.

I'm not saying he'll be brutally heckled everywhere he goes. My point was people won't forget this. And long term the negativity from it is a lot more costly than ~$50k. You don't think Kuch would like to go back in time and pay the guy more and avoid this story? He'd have to be insane not to.

And yeah I've only been following golf avidly and watching 10-20 tournaments a year for like 21 years. Why make a stupid comment like that? We all follow golf here.

Well I judged you by your sentence. Saying "he'll be heckled for this for the rest of his life and it will affect how endorsers approach him and his value to them" is a little over the top dramatic. He was loved by the fans at WM and he played great. I doubt he loses any endorsements--- heck even as egregious as Tiger actions, he still had some sponsors stand by him. This doesn't even move the needle for negative publicity.

Okay, I agree it may have been overly dramatic. But I do believe that people will remember this forever. The negative fallout has to already be worse than losing $50k-$100k. I'm sure Kuchar has probably been bothered by having his name dragged through the mud already. Now it just hit the Washington Post and ESPN.

I'm not saying that it will be a big deal going forward. But it will be there. And life is hard enough as it is without having a negative story like this attached to you for years to come, however small it may be. So I was simply saying that I think it would be smart to try to do damage control and make it go away as best as possible.

People can be brutal but they can also be forgiving. If a new story came out that Matt Kuchar apologized and gave the caddie more money, I think many people would forgive Kuchar and forget about it a lot more quickly.

I'm not sure it's accurate to say he didn't get heckled at all during the WM:

Follow
Follow

@TronCarterNLU

More

We have a developing situation in Scottsdale, where Matt Kuchar has taken an early lead. Meanwhile the folks in the bleachers on 16 have started a “pass the can for Tucàn” to raise money for his stiffed bagman. Should be interesting tomorrow and Saturday if he’s near the lead!

DyQRAgyU8AAMiTM.jpg

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

I'm not sure it's accurate to say he didn't get heckled at all during the WM:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We have a developing situation in Scottsdale, where Matt Kuchar has taken an early lead. Meanwhile the folks in the bleachers on 16 have started a “pass the can for Tucàn” to raise money for his stiffed bagman.<br><br>Should be interesting tomorrow and Saturday if he’s near the lead! <a href="https://t.co/aajnQpEFAR">pic.twitter.com/aajnQpEFAR</a></p>— Tron Carter (@TronCarterNLU) <a href="

31, 2019</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That sounds clever. But doesn’t really sound like personal heckling to me. Still a lot more Kuuuuuuuch out there.

Okay, I agree it may have been overly dramatic. But I do believe that people will remember this forever. The negative fallout has to already be worse than losing $50k-$100k. I'm sure Kuchar has probably been bothered by having his name dragged through the mud already. Now it just hit the Washington Post and ESPN.

I'm not saying that it will be a big deal going forward. But it will be there. And life is hard enough as it is without having a negative story like this attached to you for years to come, however small it may be. So I was simply saying that I think it would be smart to try to do damage control and make it go away as best as possible.

People can be brutal but they can also be forgiving. If a new story came out that Matt Kuchar apologized and gave the caddie more money, I think many people would forgive Kuchar and forget about it a lot more quickly.

Gotcha... Yes I agree some will remember forever but I firmly believe it's impact is nil. This matter still only hits a tiny fraction of people and even fewer care, and the "who cares half-life" is probably a week or 2 given the rapid media cycle.

Except that he won't (unless someone puts a WRX group together to do so). They proved that in Phoenix. The majority of people liked him before this, and this isn't going to change that.

50k??? You could have the caddy disappeared for less than that. And then this story goes away

Of course than people would be like "the hired assassin business is a tough job , Kuch really should've paid more"

Not even funny to joke about that, to be honest. And it wouldn't make the story go away.

Well I don't think Kuchar is realistically considering that!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

ok, so we all buy a lotto ticket.

The worker beside us in the car (who we met 4 days ago) on the way to the shop says "better hook me up if you win". This guy has been a big help in the 4 days since you met him. He carried your tools for you, fetched what you needed and was a nice bloke.

You turn to him and say "ill give you 5K if I win bud"

You then win 1.5Mil...

How many of us now give him more and how many give him the 5K we agreed on?

Please show me where... anywhere that says they agreed upon $5K? By the only first hand account we have (the caddies) it was 3K plus a bonus dependent on the results at the end of the tournament. Nothing more, nothing less has been proven in any regards that I am aware of.

Which is another thing I don't understand... why are so many here trying to characterize the additional 2k paid over the 3k agreed upon as a tip in order to fallaciously come up with a trumped up tip percentage? A bonus is not the same as a tip in any regards. By all accounts that there are so far, the caddie reasonably expected that the higher Matt finished (and of course the higher his earnings) the higher the bonus would be. Imo, regardless of what happened thereafter, Kuchar plain and simply tried to pay off the caddie as cheaply as he could and so to me he looks cheap. Any effort for damage control on his part thereafter really can't change that for me.

Well I don't think Kuchar is realistically considering that!

Too expensive!

They just reported that Toucan was fired form someone else’s bag that week prior to taking Kuchars. Said verbal altercation between him and that pro , I’d love to hear from that pro.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Bottom line.

A lot of people think kooch is a piece of crap for giving a guy a 2k bonus on a 1.3MM payday. If the reporting is correct, of course.

Per Tucan, Kuch said he would give him 3k and a percentage of the winnings.

Right?

"A percentage"

One percent would have been 13,000

If Kooch gave him

.15%

Then, yes, thats right

Its about 1/6 of one percent.

Bottom line.

A lot of people think kooch is a piece of crap for giving a guy a 2k bonus on a 1.3MM payday.

Per Tucan, Kuch said he would give him 3k and a percentage of the winnings.

Right?

"A percentage"

One percent would have been 13,000

Kooch gave him

.15%

Yes, thats right

About 1/6 of one percent.

Kooch would make El Tigre blush in a battle for Supreme Cheapskate.