El Tucan Speaks..... (NO POLITICS)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that has struck me from the beginning is that he had not won in 4 years until he met up with this El Caddie guy. 4 years! That alone would make me want to make sure I took care of the guy. And what's equally amazing is that is not brought up too often in these threads. It's usually about 'arrangements' and 'percentages' and 'waiters' tipping policy, 'not our business'.. Heck I think one post earlier today said it was none of El Caddie guy's business either. lol....

Once again... 4 YEARS!!

I've read most of the previous posts and this is just my opinion.....but i think caddies are probably overpaid in general based on results like this, and in this case we are crying over a guy who made 5K for walking and carrying a bag for 4 days for a person he just met.

The median income in the United States in 2018 was 62K, so this caddy (whom i presume we will be having a telethon for soon) made more per hour than the median american, working for an employer he didn't even know and who hired him for the weekend.

If Kuchar had offered any local caddy the job for 5K regardless of outcome they all would have said yes and everyone knows it. I don't see this as anything more than the very 2019 hating-on-the-wealthy for not standing on top of buildings and throwing dollar bills down to the masses.

posting for a friend

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Sounds like the caddie was well paid to me. 5K for carrying a bag and admitted he speaks no English, not much help really.

Looks like he's playing well with any caddie.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

I've read most of the previous posts and this is just my opinion.....but i think caddies are probably overpaid in general based on results like this, and in this case we are crying over a guy who made 5K for walking and carrying a bag for 4 days for a person he just met.

The median income in the United States in 2018 was 62K, so this caddy (whom i presume we will be having a telethon for soon) made more per hour than the median american, working for an employer he didn't even know and who hired him for the weekend.

If Kuchar had offered any local caddy the job for 5K regardless of outcome they all would have said yes and everyone knows it. I don't see this as anything more than the very 2019 hating-on-the-wealthy for not standing on top of buildings and throwing dollar bills down to the masses.

posting for a friend

Tell your friend he/she is cheap ; )

Jeff, if you caddied for Koooch and he won 1.3MM and gave you 5k, I bet youd call him what Spicolli called Mr. Hand ; )

Just goofing around, cheers.

It is ultimately the fact that kuchar puts on this act like he's this smiley nice guy that makes this really annoying to people. That's the difference between kuchar and tiger (oh and the fact that tiger is the greatest ever and in 20 years people won't remember this tipping thing because they won't remember who kuchar even is).

You can say people don't care but clearly a lot of people here do.

He is cheap and stiffed his caddy; he therefore sucks and isn't the kind of person I would cheer for. He is a terd

They just reported that Toucan was fired form someone else's bag that week prior to taking Kuchars. Said verbal altercation between him and that pro , I'd love to hear from that pro.

Link??

Was reported on the evening golf central show on golf Chanel.

I believe it was Jamie Diaz who said it.

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

posting for a friend

Average American median income and all that is totally irrelevant. And this isn't about hating on the rich.

There are a very specific set of customs that govern caddie tipping on the PGA Tour. Which is why I don't think we've seen one pro golfer defend Kuchar's payment.

.38% ($5,000) payment to caddie on $1,296,000 winnings is astronomically low by any standards.

Attempts to rationalize or contextualize it don't change that.

posting for a friend

This is in no way related to “hating on the wealthy,” and I think ya know where I stand on that bull****!!

This is about what had been the traditional pay-out for the caddie of the winning Player.

Tradition~

Your thoughts on whether caddies are overpaid is irrelevant, as are any opinions that I may have.

What is relevant is that the winning caddie gets at least a 10% cut.

We can come up with myriad reasons on why El WhateverTF his name was didn’t deserve 10%~

They’re nothing but rationalizations & excuses cuz it is what it is and when you start breaking that, then you break away from what has been the norm and is right, at least in my eyes.

Oh, and that friend??

He’s a bigger arsehole than me?

To tall buildings and flyin Benjamins?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

posting for a friend

Jeff. You sure you’re Canadian ???

( just pulling your chain ).

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

posting for a friend

Jeff, if you caddied for Koooch and he won 1.3MM and gave you 5k, I bet youd call him what Spicolli called Mr. Hand ; )

Yeah but if I was Kuch I'd probably feel that I hit all the shots and made all the putts. It's all about perspective I guess

I work for a private company and our owner is very successful, and that's great for him. I don't really factor in what he makes in a year when I negotiate my salary. It only matters what I do for the company and what he could get for the same price or less. It's a cruel world sometimes but it's the best one we've got and so far I'm ok with it

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

posting for a friend

This is in no way related to "hating on the wealthy," and I think ya know where I stand on that bull****!!

This is about what had been the traditional pay-out for the caddie of the winning Player.

Tradition~

Your thoughts on whether caddies are overpaid is irrelevant, as are any opinions that I may have.

We can come up with myriad reasons on why El WhateverTF his name was didn't deserve 10%~

They're nothing but rationalizations & excuses cuz it is what it is and when you start breaking that, then you break away from what has been the norm and is right, at least in my eyes.

Oh, and that friend??

He's a bigger arsehole than me

To tall buildings and flyin Benjamins

RP

It's not like i don't understand your point or the point made by others. I try to see both sides of arguments and i respect them. I just don't agree with paying someone based on tradition. I just want someone to tell me "the job that this caddy did is worth X" and be confident in that. That's it, that's what i want.

We look at sports differently than we look at other jobs because i feel like we don't do this in other jobs. We want Kuchar to pay this guy more because of tradition or things that are generally done. I just want to understand here, why did this caddy truly deserve more than what he got? Why is his situation different than the thousands of Americans who work for companies that have record years (2018 was a terrific year for many) and don't get huge bonuses. The irony is many are probably more vocal on behalf of Mr Tucan than they are for themselves in their own offices

The world isn't perfect, i have no problem signing off on that. But it is what it is, and this caddy got treated no differently than i have in the past, or several millions others have. At the end of the day, if you want more money, you have to make it so people need to give it to you, not want to give it to you

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

posting for a friend

Yeah but if I was Kuch I'd probably feel that I hit all the shots and made all the putts. It's all about perspective I guess

I work for a private company and our owner is very successful, and that's great for him. I don't really factor in what he makes in a year when I negotiate my salary. It only matters what I do for the company and what he could get for the same price or less. It's a cruel world sometimes but it's the best one we've got and so far I'm ok with it

Yeah, well Kuchar would not be able to find a professional caddie if they knew the payout would be .38% on wins.

posting for a friend

If you told your boss you knew a potential client,

And your boss said,

Jeff, you just make the intro and if we close it, Ill give you

"A percentage of the operating profit."

And the deal closed and brought 1.3MM. And he threw you 5k.

What would you think?

Speaking of Apple and Kuch:

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I hope you're proud of your son, Pete.

I knew I wouldn't like Kuuuuch right when I saw his s-eating grin and his dad jumping all up and down on the greens at Augusta. This incident just solidifies my impression of Matt "boxing gloves" Kuchar.

Formed that opinion watching a 19 year old college sophomore having an incredible experience at one of the greatest tournaments in golf? Someone you knew not at all, no personal interaction whatsoever.

Nice work.

Tell Matt I said hi. I don’t need to know someone personally to form an opinion about someone when they put it out in the public for everybody to plainly see.

posting for a friend

Jeff. You sure you're Canadian ???

( just pulling your chain ).

Kinda ironic i know, given that i pay ~ 60% income tax that goes to social programs

What can i say, i love cold and snow.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

posting for a friend

Yeah, well Kuchar would not be able to find a professional caddie if they knew the payout would be .38% on wins.

I'd be interested in knowing if that is true. I'm not being snarky i really would. As i said last thread, if he made a standing offer of 5K every week for a local caddy with no bonus for high finish.....you think he would get no takers?

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I am shocked there is a difference of opinion on this. The amount Kuch paid his caddy is disgustingly cheap. We all know cheap people or have them in our family. It's a sickness and causes the person to only consider how much they can keep or have. Cheap people also have astonishingly low self awareness regarding their behavior. It is very clear that Kuchar is one of these people and quite frankly this is a group of people I have no time or respect for. Kuchar is very very wealthy and just got wealthier and felt it completely normal to give the poor man who helped him win a less than 1% tip above the agreed upon fee. Again, amazing how so many on this board are quick to defend this behavior.

This is business, not a social group and not a real culture as contemplated by societal norms, but we won't agree on that, and that's okay.

How exactly did a guy who can't speak English help Kuchar win this tournament? Did he even give Kuchar yardages considering Mexico is on the Metric system?

Thoughtful questions from a guy with only 53 posts.

How many posts is that in Canada?

(And I love Canada and all its people and honestly don't even know if it is on the metric system).

800px-Metric_system_adoption_map.svg.png

Guess I didn't go out on much of a limb!

And who TF ever heard of the Myanmar Road?

This guy, for one:

People who are so invested in this to call other people names are sad.

Ummmmm ... should I tell him or should someone else?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

posting for a friend

If you told your boss you knew a potential client,

And your boss said,

Jeff, you just make the intro and if we close it, Ill give you

"A percentage of the operating profit."

And the deal closed and brought 1.3MM. And he threw you 5k.

What would you think?

Well, I don't think the caddies contribution was that significant. But i wouldn't take a deal like that LOL. But i've been in business for a while, maybe when i was younger and idealistic...

Hey some deals go the other way. There's a famous deal about how an owner of a small market ABA team cut a deal with the NBA during the merger for a percentage of television rights going forward, his team wasn't even joining the NBA and their league had failed....they ended up making 800M off it!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/monteburke/2014/01/07/the-nba-finally-puts-an-end-to-the-greatest-sports-deal-of-all-time/#15be91f34f0b

Sometimes the little guy wins

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

posting for a friend

I'd be interested in knowing if that is true. I'm not being snarky i really would. As i said last thread, if he made a standing offer of 5K every week for a local caddy with no bonus for high finish.....you think he would get no takers?

I'm sure he would get a local he doesn't have another bag to work on.

But that doesn't really have anything to do with El Tucan.

El Tucan trusted that Matt Kuchar would pay him a fair bonus amount, Matt Kuchar praised El Tucan after the win for his contributions, and then Kuchar gave El Tucan a $2,000 bonus.

^That's the story we are discussing.

Your questions of would a local caddie work for $5k is really a totally different question.

If that's your defense of Kuchar, that he could dupe a different local caddie every week to carry for $5k so that makes it okay that he only paid out a .38% payment . . . weak argument.

Enjoy the mental gymnastics, but $5,000 payment to caddie on a $1,296,000 win will always be an objectively TINY by all normal, pre-accepted standards on the PGA Tour.

Like Kuch? Great. Don’t? Great.

Think he should have paid more? Most do, but that means little in the end, and Kuchar’s actions are defensible, as is the opposite view. Think there’s more than some plea for justice at work from the caddie and his handlers the past few weeks? Hard not to see that, but it means little, also. All just context.

Arguments get pretty redundant and circular after awhile. Asking for a factual basis always seems to be intrusive, lol, so easy to toss about all sorts of stuff and pass it off as fact. Keeping it factual is just that.

What isn’t great is the stream of show up late to the party, nothing to offer, gratuitous name calling and obscenity tossing towards other members who have opinions, and they aren’t black and white, and towards Kuchar just because it’s easy to type, I guess. “I always knew that so and so was a so and so ever since I saw him on TV”. “Say anything other that Tucan is the man and you are a mangy whatever on the forum”.

Place is 95% of the time better than that.

posting for a friend

I'm betting if Jeff caddied for Kooch he'd have had the details of payment ironed out before he ever picked up the bag. :taunt:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

posting for a friend

Average American median income and all that is totally irrelevant. And this isn't about hating on the rich.

There are a very specific set of customs that govern caddie tipping on the PGA Tour. Which is why I don't think we've seen one pro golfer defend Kuchar's payment.

.38% ($5,000) payment to caddie on $1,296,000 winnings is astronomically low by any standards.

Attempts to rationalize or contextualize it don't change that.

From the article linked to early in the thread,,,,,,,,,,

A $3,000 weekly payment for a fill-in local caddie would widely be considered generous pay by Tour standards.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

posting for a friend

This is in no way related to "hating on the wealthy," and I think ya know where I stand on that bull****!!

Tradition~

We can come up with myriad reasons on why El WhateverTF his name was didn't deserve 10%~

They're nothing but rationalizations & excuses cuz it is what it is and when you start breaking that, then you break away from what has been the norm and is right, at least in my eyes.

Oh, and that friend??

He's a bigger arsehole than me?

To tall buildings and flyin Benjamins?

RP

It's not like i don't understand your point or the point made by others. I try to see both sides of arguments and i respect them. I just don't agree with paying someone based on tradition. I just want someone to tell me "the job that this caddy did is worth X" and be confident in that. That's it, that's what i want.

We look at sports differently than we look at other jobs because i feel like we don't do this in other jobs. We want Kuchar to pay this guy more because of tradition or things that are generally done. I just want to understand here, why did this caddy truly deserve more than what he got? Why is his situation different than the thousands of Americans who work for companies that have record years (2018 was a terrific year for many) and don't get huge bonuses. The irony is many are probably more vocal on behalf of Mr Tucan than they are for themselves in their own offices

The world isn't perfect, i have no problem signing off on that. But it is what it is, and this caddy got treated no differently than i have in the past, or several millions others have. At the end of the day, if you want more money, you have to make it so people need to give it to you, not want to give it to you

I agree with some of what you’re saying and if in fact caddies are overpaid, then this should be dealt with at the table, between either a Player and his caddie, since, like the Players, they are an independent agent, or if they organize and the Tour wants to mediate or have a say, then they should be at the table, BEFORE a single caddie carries another bag, not AFTER the tourney, when I’m sure the poor son of a b**** thought that he was in line for a normal tour victory check.

THAT is where it’s settled, not on the back of some poor arse guy steppin in to earn his keep, AFTER he has worked for you!!

Ya notice that no one has done that before or since?

Nah, Kuchar being the stoneless sheep that he is took advantage of the situation UNLESS he told the guy prior to hiring him.

To say nothing and just drop $5,000 on him is stoneless, seedy and classless.

You do not drop something like that on a man AFTER he has worked for you when the norm is 10%

Regarding “we don’t do this in other jobs,” as a corporate consultant working with the senior most executives, CEOs & boards, I see it every day, lolol.

Take a look at the Forbes Executive Compensation issue and tell me we don’t do it in other jobs, lolol.

He should have told him prior to the tourney~

You don’t mess with a man’s income that clothes his family and puts a roof over their heads.

I sign 28 paychecks every two weeks, and when I started I went without to make my payroll(in full disclosure it was a hell of a lot smaller, lol), because a man’s earnings, while it may not be everything, they are damn close, and you do not arbitrarily decide to cut someone’s pay. You pay them what is agreed upin or what has been the norm unless discussed prior to them performing the work.

At least a Gentleman & Man does not~

He is neither...

He’s a male

Stay well,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

People who are so invested in this to call other people names are sad.
So says the Joker, lol?

Cheers?

RP