2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

El Tucan Speaks..... (NO POLITICS)

Serious question here, for both sides. Setting aside how you feel about the amount of the payment (if you can do that for a moment)

Initially, do you believe both parties, initially, parted ways satisfied? Especially, and answer honestly, do you think Tucan was satisfied with the payment.

If Gillis doesn’t get involved, does the caddie ever say anything, or feel he was shortchanged?

If you believe that thinking Kuchar is cheap is akin to thinking he's one of the "worst people ever," I don't know what to tell you.

We're talking about a pro golfer's actions on a golf board. We are not lumping him in with Jeffrey Dahmer or Hitler.

You mean other vile and disgusting people?

I think I’ve only heard of one other group of people described as vile......people that wear jeans on the course. If anyone wants to read an epic thread, dig that baby up!

Someone referred to people that wear hats in the grill room as mouth breathers... LOL! "Hats on or off..." is still one of the most entertaining threads of all time!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just here to see if I can find some plaid shorts.

Anyone know where to get some cool plaid shorts?

<shuffles around duffel bag for selfie-stick>

duffel bag=fanny pack

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

So far this year the lynch mob is out for Sergio and Kuch. Did I miss anyone and is there an official list somewhere?

Why do you call it a lynch mob? Pretty derogatory.

Pretty simple to spot the pro-kuch MOB......

How is it derogatory? People are acting like these guys are the worst people ever.

If you believe that thinking Kuchar is cheap is akin to thinking he's one of the "worst people ever," I don't know what to tell you.

We're talking about a pro golfer's actions on a golf board. We are not lumping him in with Jeffrey Dahmer or Hitler.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

This is business, not a social group and not a real culture as contemplated by societal norms, but we won't agree on that, and that's okay.

How many posts is that in Canada?

(And I love Canada and all its people and honestly don't even know if it is on the metric system).

800px-Metric_system_adoption_map.svg.png

Guess I didn't go out on much of a limb!

And who TF ever heard of the Myanmar Road?

It's south of Peking and east of Bombay, right next to Siam.

Burma reference. ;-)

Serious question here, for both sides. Setting aside how you feel about the amount of the payment (if you can do that for a moment)

Initially, do you believe both parties, initially, parted ways satisfied? Especially, and answer honestly, do you think Tucan was satisfied with the payment.

If Gillis doesn't get involved, does the caddie ever say anything, or feel he was shortchanged?

I think I've only heard of one other group of people described as vile......people that wear jeans on the course. If anyone wants to read an epic thread, dig that baby up!

I definitely do not think Tucan was pleased. But I'm not 100% certain of that.

(edited to spell Tucan's name properly)

Heres a question.

Lets say you, for whatever reason, are carrying a shopping bag with $1.3MM in cash.

And you forget it under your table at McDonalds.

Somebody finds it and returns it to you.

How much would you give them as a reward?

Me? Personally? $100,000.

I might give them something, but $100,000? Yikes. To quote from the dark side, "keep your hands off my sack!"

A coupon to a place where they can get a proper hot cup of coffee to start - then we'll see.

The money was GONE. If the wrong person finds it, you get zero.

Yes, $100,000, assuming I didn't need every cent of it to pay my bookie....

Not doubting you - we are ever lucky enough to play, I'm hoping you leave your favorite hybrid by a green and I find it! Gotta be worth a $10 tip!

My hybrids are six generations old and the paint is peeling off of them. They are worth about $11 on eBay. I would give you 10% of the value: $1.10. Because I'm not phocking CHEAP!!! ;-)

If Gillis doesn’t get involved, does the caddie ever say anything, or feel he was shortchanged?

I think I’ve only heard of one other group of people described as vile......people that wear jeans on the course. If anyone wants to read an epic thread, dig that baby up!

Someone referred to people that wear hats in the grill room as mouth breathers... LOL! "Hats on or off..." is still one of the most entertaining threads of all time!

I forgot about mouth breathers, an all time classic!

Hypocrisy is one of those things that can put some rough chinks in the armor. Kuchar always has a smile on his face and seems nice in interviews, etc. Media has always been very positive about him through the years. If he wanted to keep up that image, he didn't have to be the ultra cheapskate in this situation.

I have mixed feelings about this.

It's not like Kuchar told us he was a nice guy, it's the media that painted this story.

Maybe he was always a selfish *****, but it was never public. He probably just wants to be a good golfer.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

This is business, not a social group and not a real culture as contemplated by societal norms, but we won't agree on that, and that's okay.

How many posts is that in Canada?

(And I love Canada and all its people and honestly don't even know if it is on the metric system).

800px-Metric_system_adoption_map.svg.png

Guess I didn't go out on much of a limb!

And who TF ever heard of the Myanmar Road?

It's south of Peking and east of Bombay, right next to Siam.

Burma reference. ;-)

Now I'm watching youtube tv ads for the metric system we were supposed to adopt 40 years ago.

Hypocrisy is one of those things that can put some rough chinks in the armor. Kuchar always has a smile on his face and seems nice in interviews, etc. Media has always been very positive about him through the years. If he wanted to keep up that image, he didn't have to be the ultra cheapskate in this situation.

I have mixed feelings about this.

It's not like Kuchar told us he was a nice guy, it's the media that painted this story.

Maybe he was always a selfish *****, but it was never public. He probably just wants to be a good golfer.

He smiles all the time. Either he's the happiest person in the world or it's a pretty good act for the cameras. He has made plenty of endorsement money on this image through the years.

If Gillis doesn't get involved, does the caddie ever say anything, or feel he was shortchanged?

I think I've only heard of one other group of people described as vile......people that wear jeans on the course. If anyone wants to read an epic thread, dig that baby up!

Jeans thread for me! BUT, some think it's even worse to leave the hat on after putting out on the 18th than in the grill room - I can't remember when in the last many, many years we take the time to hang out on 18 and shake hands in my group - either headed back to the first tee or time to pack the bag and head to the restaurant with our hats on. And of course do the opposite in many other situations and gladly.

I forgot about mouth breathers, an all time classic!

I definitely do not think Tucan was pleased. But I'm not 100% certain of that.

(edited to spell Tucan's name properly)

I would really like to know the answer to that question (and fully realize we probably never will). I wonder how Gillis became involved. And maybe it was answered in the first thread and I’ve forgotten

He seems a tad discontent ; )

"In a Jan. 24 email Ortiz sent to Mark Steinberg, Kuchar’s agent, the caddie wrote,

“I am a humble man, who takes care of his family, and works hard. I am reaching out to you to see if you can facilitate me receiving a fair amount for my help with Matt winning $1,296,000. I am not looking to disparage Matt or give him a bad name. Fair is fair, and I feel like I was taken advantage of by placing my trust in Matt.”

Earlier is the piece,

"Ortiz said that Kuchar said at the start of the tournament that he would be paid $3,000 for the week, plus an unspecified percentage of his winnings.

On that basis, in the euphoria of victory, Ortiz had hoped to make as much as $130,000. When Kuchar left Mexico, the caddie said, he was under the impression that he would still receive a bonus."

"In a Jan. 24 email Ortiz sent to Mark Steinberg, Kuchar’s agent, the caddie wrote,

“I am a humble man, who takes care of his family, and works hard. I am reaching out to you to see if you can facilitate me receiving a fair amount for my help with Matt winning $1,296,000. I am not looking to disparage Matt or give him a bad name. Fair is fair, and I feel like I was taken advantage of by placing my trust in Matt.”

Earlier is the piece,

"Ortiz said that Kuchar said at the start of the tournament that he would be paid $3,000 for the week, plus an unspecified percentage of his winnings.

On that basis, in the euphoria of victory, Ortiz had hoped to make as much as $130,000. When Kuchar left Mexico, the caddie said, he was under the impression that he would still receive a bonus."

B, do you know if these were what got Gillis involved, or were they the result if his involvement?

Jeans thread for me! BUT, some think it's even worse to leave the hat on after putting out on the 18th than in the grill room - I can't remember when in the last many, many years we take the time to hang out on 18 and shake hands in my group - either headed back to the first tee or time to pack the bag and head to the restaurant with our hats on. And of course do the opposite in many other situations and gladly.

I just played with one of the guys in this thread, post round he took his hat off. Two of us didn’t, so far he’s still speaking to me!�� (but I guess that’s not saying much DP4 even still speaks to me after our round)

Isn’t it funny how this place sticks with you even out on the course.

In fact, this reminded me, I told him I’d see if I had another sleeve of Blacks to give him to try, if better go look.

Kuch's reputation was entrenched after he won and then paid $5000. Any adjustments made after that were the result of public backlash and are therefore disingenuous. As they say, it isn't what you do when people are looking, it's what you do when they aren't looking. And we already know the answer to that.

Earlier is the piece,

B, do you know if these were what got Gillis involved, or were they the result if his involvement?

I think that based on Matt telling him that he would get a

"percentage of his winnings",

when Matt won 1.3MM, without talking to anyone, he thought hed be getting a heck of a lot more the .00000000000012% or whatever 2k is ; )

Assuming Matt said that, of course.

Dss! Hope you well ; )

Earlier is the piece,

I think that based on Matt telling him that he would get a

"percentage of his winnings",

when Matt won 1.3MM, without talking to anyone, he thought hed be getting a heck of a lot more the .00000000000012% or whatever 2k is ; )

Assuming Matt said that, of course.

Dss! Hope you well ; )

Thanks Bsc, right back at you man!

Whatever the agreement was.....now that this is out in public. This is going to follow Kuchar like he's got a crap in his shorts.

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

I wonder how much the trip to Mexico cost Kuch? After all of his expense? Tucan could have just as easily been picked up by Mahan, Moore, Schneiderjans, CH3.... etc.

Really from that point of view Tucan had a pretty damn good week.

After keeping up with this thread all day I still just can’t figure out why many think Kuch owes Tucan so much money. 1.3 million is a lot of money but a tour player comes with a lot of expense. 20k is plenty generous to offer Tucan. They both new exactly what was going on and/or Tucan is a moron.

There's not much doubt that Kucher was being cheap. He's not alone. Tiger has a history of being cheap. So does Michael Jordan. Warren Buffet. Leonardo DiCaprio. Make of them what you will. There are cheap people in the world and yet those same people can be very generous at times with their foundations. Who knows how their minds work. Kuch will have to live with what some people now think about him. The tip was his to give, as it was above and beyond the agreed upon amount. He chose to go cheap. That's his prerogative. Now he'll live with some fallout. It doesn't make him a bad person as he's shown through some of his charity work that there's a part of him that's giving. Hard to discern how some people think. Always has been

You don't stay rich giving money away....

Whatever the agreement was.....now that this is out in public. This is going to follow Kuchar like he's got a crap in his shorts.

For a week or two. Something else will come up and this will move to the backburner, just like the first time. Of course, someone or something can alway rekindle it, like this time. But this is such a non story to the world outside of golf.

ok, so we all buy a lotto ticket.

The worker beside us in the car (who we met 4 days ago) on the way to the shop says "better hook me up if you win". This guy has been a big help in the 4 days since you met him. He carried your tools for you, fetched what you needed and was a nice bloke.

You turn to him and say "ill give you 5K if I win bud"

You then win 1.5Mil...

How many of us now give him more and how many give him the 5K we agreed on?

There's not much doubt that Kucher was being cheap. He's not alone. Tiger has a history of being cheap. So does Michael Jordan. Warren Buffet. Leonardo DiCaprio. Make of them what you will. There are cheap people in the world and yet those same people can be very generous at times with their foundations. Who knows how their minds work. Kuch will have to live with what some people now think about him. The tip was his to give, as it was above and beyond the agreed upon amount. He chose to go cheap. That's his prerogative. Now he'll live with some fallout. It doesn't make him a bad person as he's shown through some of his charity work that there's a part of him that's giving. Hard to discern how some people think. Always has been

Come on, those cheap tippers might tip 10 percent

Kuchar's action has set the bar so exponentially low that no one is going to be able to stoop to his level.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

Tell Phil that and he will laugh at you and stuff $100 in your hand.

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

I just played with one of the guys in this thread, post round he took his hat off. Two of us didn't, so far he's still speaking to me!�� (but I guess that's not saying much DP4 even still speaks to me after our round)

Isn't it funny how this place sticks with you even out on the course.

In fact, this reminded me, I told him I'd see if I had another sleeve of Blacks to give him to try, if better go look.

DP4 still speaks to me, probably more a testament to his infinite capacity for being a gentleman! (And guess what we tipped our caddies? Zero! Okay, we pushed our own bags!).

Kuch's reputation was entrenched after he won and then paid $5000. Any adjustments made after that were the result of public backlash and are therefore disingenuous. As they say, it isn't what you do when people are looking, it's what you do when they aren't looking. And we already know the answer to that.

I agree! Kuch does a lot of charity work but that is seen. The payment to El Tucan was not supposed to be seen by the public. My opinion of Kuch has dropped tremendously since this all transpired. Some have said El Tuc was an idiot for not taking the $15K later offered. I admire him for telling them to keep it!

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select