2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Original One Mini Driver

radiman

> @m_w said:

> > @Lemonde said:

> > > @GC70 said:

> > > If you get the 13.5* and loft it down will the face open up and if you went 11.5* and loft it up would the face close?

> >

> > Yes and yes.

> >

> >

> isnt it the other way around? Down= closed, up, open?

>

Nope. They have it right. Adjusting the loft with the hosel adapter is not the same things as simply rotating the shaft in your hands to manually add or subtract loft (as you might do with a wedge). That kind of twisting doesn't really change the face angle anyways - however the hosel adjustment really is a true face angle change.

The 11.5* is fun to play around with. Last time I toyed around with one I was hitting head high stingers that ran for days. Especially when i had it lofted down.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> Anybody know where to get adapter sleeves for this thing? I found a head only on eBay for a decent price, so I'll need to build the club myself, which honestly I'd prefer.

My understanding is it is the same as the SLDR, M2-M4 adapter. I have a shaft on the way, and that is what I ordered. Golfworks or BillyBob's Golf are decent options. Or maybe ebay for used options.

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

> @"Puttersaurus Rex" said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > Anybody know where to get adapter sleeves for this thing? I found a head only on eBay for a decent price, so I'll need to build the club myself, which honestly I'd prefer.

>

> My understanding is it is the same as the SLDR, M2-M4 adapter. I have a shaft on the way, and that is what I ordered. Golfworks or BillyBob's Golf are decent options. Or maybe ebay for used options.

Correct. Same adapter

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

> @J13 said:

> > @"Puttersaurus Rex" said:

> > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > Anybody know where to get adapter sleeves for this thing? I found a head only on eBay for a decent price, so I'll need to build the club myself, which honestly I'd prefer.

> >

> > My understanding is it is the same as the SLDR, M2-M4 adapter. I have a shaft on the way, and that is what I ordered. Golfworks or BillyBob's Golf are decent options. Or maybe ebay for used options.

>

> Correct. Same adapter

Thank you. Do you know if moving the loft up/down still has the same face angle effect on mini as it did with M2?

Played a few rounds with mine, haven't actually made it to the range though, but my thoughts -

1. 11.5, Tensei White 70 - X

2. It feels heavy? Maybe its the positioning of the sole plate, not sure

3. I haven't changed the loft yet, but at 11.5, if you tee the ball down it goes low, up it goes higher

4. You can live with misses on the heel or toe, but you definitely notice a difference than in a driver miss on the heel or toe

5. yardage is between a driver and 3 wood, definitely a two wood in almost all ways

6. My misses doesn't seem as punishing as with a driver, but I think its because I'm not as concerned about AoA

Overall, you probably will lose some yardage from a driver, unless you play somewhere with firm fast fairways, but if you struggle with AoA on a driver, or generally have/want a negative to neutral AoA off the tee, it might be a good option? I've also noticed by swing overall is more consistent, because driver swing tended to creep into my iron swing, and vice versa. YMMV.

Anyone playing this at 43 or shorter?

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

So I finally got to hit mine last night with stock stiff shaft and I really, really like it. I can hit it off the deck better than the M5 FW and it’s a cannon off the tee.

I thought it would have a very muted wooden like feel and sound but it was surprisingly crisp and springy feeling. Looks like its a hair shorter than my driver on the range but with the shorter shaft I definitely hit it a lot more consistently.

One thing I immediately noticed is that it’s very easy to flight the ball just with minor adjustments to tee height. You can hit low lasers that roll or tee it up just a bit and hit high bombs with the same swing.

Honestly with the deepish face I was surprised how well it launched off the turf. It’s still a bit lower launching than optimal from the deck for me but it was a lot easier than it looked. I’m not usually looking to bomb 3W off the fairway into greens much anyways...if I’m that far out I’m usually better off laying up to the 100 mark and going pin hunting with my SW.

Went straight in the bag in the 3W spot and I’ll be surprised if it doesn’t get the bulk of my tee shots on par 4s.

• Like 2
ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

> @Pack7483 said:

> Those building your own shaft are you tipping it 1 inch?

One inch is probably too much unless you're a pretty high speed guy. I actually just talked to a guy from Mitsubishi Chemical today and he says all their wood shafts are designed for only 1/2'' tipping increments now (I asked him specifically about Tensei Pro Blue). So for 3w heads weighing in that sort of 210-215 range, you'd only need .5'' of tipping standard, and I think I remember reading this head comes in around 208g. I'd be more inclined to not tip it at all or at most 1/4'' as a lot of the reviews I'm seeing indicate this thing already spins fairly low.

Just an update on my 11.5 degree mini. This club really comes alive with the correct shaft. After I got through my honeymoon phase I was hating the stock stiff and thought about selling the club. However I play the Rickie Fowler style 4i with the AD IZ, and found an AD IZ 7s on Ebay with a taylormade tip, and dropped it in. Absolutely love it. I play it off the tee and deck at 12.5 degrees, and it is good enough to be both my driver and strong 3w.

• Like 1

Well I said I'd report back, and the jury is still out on mine. I'm unsure at this stage. I have gamed a Mini 1.5 for 4 years, so this is going head to head with that. A couple of range sessions and one round in, and initial feedback is mixed in many areas, but there are two key ones: distance and forgiveness. Regarding distance, the Original One 11.5 is hands down a lot longer than the Mini 1.5, not even close. Carry is much the same, but its the roll out this thing has that goes forever. And its just as easy off the deck, so all good there. Forgiveness however is worse, at least at this stage. I don't have it dialled in yet, but a toe or hosel strike is really quite dead and you feel it in your hands. Even slightly off centre feels quite muted. Only a flushed shot feels powerful and goes forever. The Mini 1.5 in comparison has a more rounded forgiveness profile. The distance gap between a flushed shot and a poor shot is more consistent. It's early days, I need to try a few more settings to see a consitent flight. I also have an AD DI 6S at home I may try in it, I need to swap the adapter currently on it. That shaft didn't work in the Mini 1.5, but may in this. I previously said how heavy it feels, and this remains the case. My pro put it on his swingweight machine, and it was coming out between D3 and D4. TM state D3 on their website. The overall total weight of the club is fine, it just feels heavy to swing. I typically suit D1 to D2, so I may need a bit of tape under the grip. Interesting to hear Puttersaurus Rex has gone with a speeder shaft. My Mini 1.5 has the Callaway Speeder 665 in, so I could try a real deal 661 which can be bought cheaply on the bay. All in all, a mixed start. Forgiveness is the primary reason for gaming a mini driver, so if I can get it to match the Mini 1.5 in that department happy days, but until then the Mini 1.5 remains my gamer ... just 15 yards shorter.

Taylormade Mini 300 11.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
Callaway X Forged UT 18, 21, 24 - PX U 6.0
Callaway TCB 5 to AW - PX IO 6.0
Callaway Jaws Raw 54S, 60Z - PX IO 6.0
The 2200 Softie Bobby Grace by Cobra

Any of you that have built with your own shafts.. what kind of tipping and shaft weights are you using? I have tried 3 different shafts so far and nothing comes close to the spin I get with the stock stiff shaft. Everything is higher spin. I tried my go-to driver shaft in a driver 60 gram weight and spin went up significantly (this doesnt surprise me that much because I like the dispersion on it more than anything else) I also tried two heavier shafts.

I want to upgrade the shaft because it is a little too wild for my swing, I can make pretty decent results but if my swing is a little off it usually results in a hook to write home about. Anyone know if the shaft is essentially a fairway version of the new DF? or what kind of tipping the guys on tour are using when they are buidling with Accra TZ5/6 and weight for that matter?

I keep struggling with driver consistency this Spring, finally got it re-gripped properly after 3 freakin trips to the shop, will be taking it out for the weekend as the driver. I have a Smoke 70, tipped 1/2 - 11.5.

• Like 1

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

This driver certainly would not be for everyone but for me it's awesome. After fifteen years of ankle issues-bone on bone left ankle- I became gun shy of the longer clubs. Replacement surgery was the first step and this club is helping immensely.

I was never really comfortable with the large headed drivers. I was really straight, and long enough, back in the persimmon days and remained a good driver as a scratch player through the early metal and Titanium drivers.

I am finding nearly every fairway and losing at most 15 yards or so and on most holes am as long as big driver.

This club gets a lot of credit for rejuvenating my game.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Can someone please comment on how far this driver goes when you set the 11.5 head to a 9.5 loft using the same shaft as the tm driver you currently use.....No one seems to want to do this on any of the videos they just put it up against a full length driver say that it goes 20 yard shorter......what’s the point, Of course it will be shorter

> @pistolhughes01 said:

> Can someone please comment on how far this driver goes when you set the 11.5 head to a 9.5 loft using the same shaft as the tm driver you currently use.....No one seems to want to do this on any of the videos they just put it up against a full length driver say that it goes 20 yard shorter......what’s the point, Of course it will be shorter

I will give you my two cents why you may not have seen this. In all my “normal” drivers I play 9* turned down to 8* and will launch @ about 15* with between 2000 and 2500 spin with a number of different X shafts.

With the mini left at 11.5* I launch at 12* between 2200 and 2500 spin with a hzrdus black 65g 6.0. I have tried a couple of other shafts and the bottom line is this thing launches low rockets for most people I have seen hit it including myself. For me carry is about 7 yds - 10 yds less, but the run out due to landing angle at a minimum makes up for it...and my dispersion is at least half of my normal size drivers.

TLDR: I think you haven’t seen this because it would launch low flat stingers with a normal swing...unless you like hitting down on it a ton. Then I think you would get really low launch balloon balls.

Callaway Rogue SubZero 9* AD DI 6x 43 3/4”
Callaway Rogue 3w Hzdrus Black S
Titleist 816H2 21*
Titleist 818H2 17*
PXG 0311T/P 5-PW Aerotch Steelfiber I95 S
Titleist Vokey SM6 50, 56, 60
All irons/wedges 2* flat, -0.25"
Scott Cameron Tour Newport 2 Black Pearl

So distance wise it was a driver replacement for you?

> @scratchgolfer48069 said:

>

> > @pistolhughes01 said:

> > Can someone please comment on how far this driver goes when you set the 11.5 head to a 9.5 loft using the same shaft as the tm driver you currently use.....No one seems to want to do this on any of the videos they just put it up against a full length driver say that it goes 20 yard shorter......what’s the point, Of course it will be shorter

>

> I will give you my two cents why you may not have seen this. In all my “normal” drivers I play 9* turned down to 8* and will launch @ about 15* with between 2000 and 2500 spin with a number of different X shafts.

>

> With the mini left at 11.5* I launch at 12* between 2200 and 2500 spin with a hzrdus black 65g 6.0. I have tried a couple of other shafts and the bottom line is this thing launches low rockets for most people I have seen hit it including myself. For me carry is about 7 yds - 10 yds less, but the run out due to landing angle at a minimum makes up for it...and my dispersion is at least half of my normal size drivers.

>

> TLDR: I think you haven’t seen this because it would launch low flat stingers with a normal swing...unless you like hitting down on it a ton. Then I think you would get really low launch balloon balls.

>

> > Can someone please comment on how far this driver goes when you set the 11.5 head to a 9.5 loft using the same shaft as the tm driver you currently use.....No one seems to want to do this on any of the videos they just put it up against a full length driver say that it goes 20 yard shorter......what’s the point, Of course it will be shorter

>

> I will give you my two cents why you may not have seen this. In all my “normal” drivers I play 9* turned down to 8* and will launch @ about 15* with between 2000 and 2500 spin with a number of different X shafts.

>

> With the mini left at 11.5* I launch at 12* between 2200 and 2500 spin with a hzrdus black 65g 6.0. I have tried a couple of other shafts and the bottom line is this thing launches low rockets for most people I have seen hit it including myself. For me carry is about 7 yds - 10 yds less, but the run out due to landing angle at a minimum makes up for it...and my dispersion is at least half of my normal size drivers.

>

> TLDR: I think you haven’t seen this because it would launch low flat stingers with a normal swing...unless you like hitting down on it a ton. Then I think you would get really low launch balloon balls.

>

>

>

>

Yes, I use it as a driver replacement with one caveat. If I play our tips, then I carry my “traditional” driver and the mini and I take my 3 wood out. Any other time, my mini is my driver and I have the 3 wood in the bag.

The reason for having the traditional driver in from the tips is that there are a couple of holes where I need the extra carry to carry cross bunkers with comfort.

Callaway Rogue SubZero 9* AD DI 6x 43 3/4”
Callaway Rogue 3w Hzdrus Black S
Titleist 816H2 21*
Titleist 818H2 17*
PXG 0311T/P 5-PW Aerotch Steelfiber I95 S
Titleist Vokey SM6 50, 56, 60
All irons/wedges 2* flat, -0.25"
Scott Cameron Tour Newport 2 Black Pearl